Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sorvah posted:

I think I'm going crazy. I can't get the FTC mods to show me the buffs I think I should be getting from ym Solar Flare or Reflective Light abilities. I see screenshots with buffs at the bottom of the frames and everything in the mod is switched on. When I try and move the frame I have a PLayer Buff bar and I see debuffs on targets.

Annoying and weird.

Edit: I've just read some info from the guy saying that the in game API restricts a lot of things to do with buff tracking. That is proper, proper stupid.
Back before they locked down some of the API there were addons that would automatically interrupt/block/cleanse, etc for you.

I am also going to 2nd Combat Cloud. I was using FTC, but combat cloud looks a lot nicer and has a gigantic amount of customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fathis Munk posted:

Ooh, boy you guys were not kidding when you were saying that the launcher is terribad.

Could be worse.

Could be getting 1mb/s if im lucky like myself, not 3mb/s.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well it got stuck because of an error, I looked on their forums and they just said
"Eh, let it sit for like 15 min and maybe it will unfuck itself"
Unfuck itself it did and I'm up to 10 mb/s which is way more acceptable.

Also I chose EU megaserver to boost my dl speed, I will still be able to play on NA servers should I chose to right ? Though I guess since I'm EUTZ this would mean I'd play in a ghost guild and would be nightcapping in PvP ?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you want to play on the NA server you'll have to re-dl the thing again.

Also, these safeboxes need to be more dangerous. I literally robbed the Wayrest and Sentinel Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild safeboxes without even having line of sight to the actual box itself. That's pretty drat broken for the justice system, considering each safebox had 50+ gold and all Blue quality items (that sell for 250 a pop). I cleared 2k in 5 minutes just by hitting those two spots.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Scyantific posted:

:wtc:

(Also I have the exact same error again :toot: I guess I'll start the dl before heading to work tomorrow cause this is loving bullshit)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Scyantific posted:

Also, these safeboxes need to be more dangerous. I literally robbed the Wayrest and Sentinel Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild safeboxes without even having line of sight to the actual box itself. That's pretty drat broken for the justice system, considering each safebox had 50+ gold and all Blue quality items (that sell for 250 a pop). I cleared 2k in 5 minutes just by hitting those two spots.

What's this about guild strong boxes? Where are they in the buildings? I'd like to get in on this as I am pretty broke and saving for my first mount

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
You can do a bit of a hack where you start the download, then stop it after it's got through "creating download" and copy your existing install's directory into the new one it's created (on mac that's /Applications/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online <whatever>), then restart the downlaod again and it will repair the installation using whatever's there. That also works for the PTS server, it patches your install to the PTS version

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's this about guild strong boxes? Where are they in the buildings? I'd like to get in on this as I am pretty broke and saving for my first mount

Here you go http://skyrimfansite.com/eso-thief-five-essential-tips-on-being-the-best-ever/

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wait so do you actually need 2 completely separated installs ? 2 80 gb installs if you want to be able to play EU and NA ? That's absurd.

I guess p much all of you fuckers are on NA servers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Scyantific posted:

Fun trick, once you've finished the guild questlines and they have the portals in them, zoning through the portal and back to the guildhall resets the guildhall container status!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait so do you actually need 2 completely separated installs ? 2 80 gb installs if you want to be able to play EU and NA ? That's absurd.

I guess p much all of you fuckers are on NA servers.
Quite a few of us Euros are on the NA server as well, yes. :v:
As for the installer, there should be a few tricks online to allow you to use the downloaded EU client to play on the NA server, but they are a bit dodgy: I remember trying it many months ago and while it did eventually work, it took a fair bit of trial and error on my part.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Fun trick, once you've finished the guild questlines and they have the portals in them, zoning through the portal and back to the guildhall resets the guildhall container status!

:frogon:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Yeah. Loot the building, take the portal to Eyevea or the Earth Forge, take the portal back to the guild hall, loot it all again, rinse and repeat. It was functional before the last incremental patch, I haven't tried it since though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Logging out and back in works too, basically any loading screen.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

I didn't have nearly the same luck. I farmed for 30 minutes, found only 3 safeboxes and made 1.5k off selling green items.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
So...Elder Scrolls online f2p; worth it, not worth it? Does anyone have an opinion on pros and cons? Also...how easy would it be to dick around and solo? I wouldn't mind chatting and palling around with Goons or other people, but I...am notoriously bad at teamwork. I hate partying and I hate raiding. I can be moved to do those two things on a good day, but mostly I just like messing around and doing things at a very slow pace while enjoying being with friends and such.

If I'm in a party, it is incredibly likely that I'll forget what I'm doing, forget orders, or forget to help. ((I should absolutely not be allowed to heal people. :gonk: ))

But I've wanted to try this out for a while and I'm willing to now that it's gone somewhat free. :3:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Freakbox posted:

So...Elder Scrolls online f2p; worth it, not worth it? Does anyone have an opinion on pros and cons? Also...how easy would it be to dick around and solo? I wouldn't mind chatting and palling around with Goons or other people, but I...am notoriously bad at teamwork. I hate partying and I hate raiding. I can be moved to do those two things on a good day, but mostly I just like messing around and doing things at a very slow pace while enjoying being with friends and such.

If I'm in a party, it is incredibly likely that I'll forget what I'm doing, forget orders, or forget to help. ((I should absolutely not be allowed to heal people. :gonk: ))

I've wanted to try this out for a while and I'm willing to now that it's gone somewhat free. :3:

I am playing this game as a single player elderscrolls game except there happen to be other adventurers in the world. And, much like most npcs, they are either helpful or complete assholes.

It owns.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Freakbox posted:

But I've wanted to try this out for a while and I'm willing to now that it's gone somewhat free. :3:

Not free. You have to buy the game, but once you do, there's no subscription fee (unless you want to get the Premium subscription; Read the OP).

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

I am playing this game as a single player elderscrolls game except there happen to be other adventurers in the world. And, much like most npcs, they are either helpful or complete assholes.

It owns.

Awesome! One of the main reasons I leave MMOs so quickly are the sheer number of people constantly trying to force me to party or advance. Every time I join a guild and they're like "soooo I notice you haven't partied with us, do you wanna party, RAIDWITHME- YOU HAVEN'T LEVELED THIS WEEK I AM CONCERNED WHY WON'T YOU PVP :supaburn:" I wanna set my keyboard on fire. I do things at a somewhat glacial pace, play infrequently, and don't want to be constantly bothered to interact and progress by a bunch of strangers with elf ears and cat tails.

Scyantific posted:

Not free. You have to buy the game, but once you do, there's no subscription fee (unless you want to get the Premium subscription; Read the OP).

I can do buying it the first time- that's still more free than most MMOs. I'd known that I needed to buy it; that's why I said 'somewhat free'.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The lack of sub and lack of 'urgency' is one of the reasons I picked ESO up. Aside from binging a bit during my 3 day weekend I've been playing like an hour a day, if that, and making significant progress (in my mind, not necessarily compared to 'modern mmo standards').

Also the game does a REALLY good job at throwing you incremental upgrades and progression, so you feel like, even if you just farted around an hour exploring and stealing things, you did something.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

The lack of sub and lack of 'urgency' is one of the reasons I picked ESO up. Aside from binging a bit during my 3 day weekend I've been playing like an hour a day, if that, and making significant progress (in my mind, not necessarily compared to 'modern mmo standards').

Also the game does a REALLY good job at throwing you incremental upgrades and progression, so you feel like, even if you just farted around an hour exploring and stealing things, you did something.

That sounds super soothing- I might give it a try then. I'm just very bad at interacting with people in a group. There are probably some people that genuinely resent having invited me to a party.

:blush: I have actually fully forgotten I was in a party and left a dungeon before because I took a five minute phone call, made coffee, and got distracted. I sat back down only to not recall why the gently caress I was in a cave full of spiders, so I wandered out and went to pick herbs in some forest. This caused quite a few very angry PMs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

It is worth checking out the dungeons. At least, the 3 I did as a clueless newbie around level 10-12ish were fun and interesting. We did two of them one man down.

But yeah, I am really enjoying this as someone who is super explicitly trying to move away from raiding and shackling myself to a schedule of a video game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

eSporks posted:

Back before they locked down some of the API there were addons that would automatically interrupt/block/cleanse, etc for you.

I am also going to 2nd Combat Cloud. I was using FTC, but combat cloud looks a lot nicer and has a gigantic amount of customization.

there were addons that would put out colors that would use auto hot key to detect colored squares to press keys to auto interrupt/block/cleanse

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
They've really toned down the need to have anything at all to do with the other players in 1-50 and even in veteran pve zones and dungeons.. I haven't got massively minmaxed characters or anything but find I can solo more or less anything except the 4-player dungeons. occasionally some boss has an advantage over the particular character I'm using (e.g. world bosses that are several flying enemies are bad news to my sorcerer) and I've got to wait for someone else to come along.

actually it's a pretty fun challenge to solo quite tough public dungeons such as village of the lost in coldharbour

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm starting to think that THE GREAT MAGE VANUS GALERION is a deliberate parody of Treahearne, whereas Treahearne is a mary sue who steals the spotlight from the hero Vanus is a self-proclaimed mary sue who expects that everyone think he has always been the hero.

Tsarbomb
Oct 14, 2008

Take us out of the system, but not too quickly. The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one.

Tsurupettan posted:

You nailed the feeling. I played for about 30 minutes before heading out to work, looking for iron ore and stealing veggies from vendors and it was fun. I finally feel like I can just dick around and explore in an MMO.

There was a lot of criticism that it doesn't feel like a TES game, and when I played the beta way back I agreed. However, having picked it up now that it is B2P and coming at it with no expectations, it really does have a TES feeling. Also the Morrowind nostalgia really goes a long way.

B2P is the superior model in my opinion. No urgency like in a sub, and no bullshit like in F2P.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons I have an Alchemy question. I have a crafting Writ that needs Sip of Magika. I cannot seem to make that potion, every time I do it becomes Sip of Health with both +health and +Magika in the potion. Is there a way I can get it to be named Sip of Magika? Or how do I create a Magika only potion?

*Edit Never mind figured it out thanks to this website which is awesome for Alchemy.

It was Columbine and Lady's Smock for Magika.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 25, 2015

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Tsarbomb posted:

You nailed the feeling. I played for about 30 minutes before heading out to work, looking for iron ore and stealing veggies from vendors and it was fun. I finally feel like I can just dick around and explore in an MMO.

There was a lot of criticism that it doesn't feel like a TES game, and when I played the beta way back I agreed. However, having picked it up now that it is B2P and coming at it with no expectations, it really does have a TES feeling. Also the Morrowind nostalgia really goes a long way.

B2P is the superior model in my opinion. No urgency like in a sub, and no bullshit like in F2P.

Yeah i've been really shocked by all the criticism of it not feeling like a TES game. I've only just started playing but so far it definitely feels like another TES game to me. Maybe it devolves into 'kill X of X' later but I've been drat impressed so far.

I've even found myself mopping up quests in areas which I almost never do. Normally I'm off to the next bit as soon as possible to make sure I'm levelling properly.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey goons I have an Alchemy question. I have a crafting Writ that needs Sip of Magika. I cannot seem to make that potion, every time I do it becomes Sip of Health with both +health and +Magika in the potion. Is there a way I can get it to be named Sip of Magika? Or how do I create a Magika only potion?

Try Columbine + Corn Flower, Columbine + Lady's Smock, or Corn Flower + Lady's Smock. One of those three should give you a Sip of Magicka result.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yea I found a website which lists every incredient. I matched up Columbine and Lady's Smock for the Magika. Speaking of crafting writ's what exactly is it all for? I get fancy XP and maps as rewards which I have no idea what they are for lol.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The maps vaguely direct you to a deposit FULL of resources.

You can only see the resources if the map is in your bags.

e: vvv idk. I've only gotten one.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 25, 2015

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

The maps vaguely direct you to a deposit FULL of resources.

You can only see the resources if the map is in your bags.

Oh that is awesome. Do you get the maps often or is it only once per zone? It would seem like I waste to use the maps at low levels if it was only one shot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Oh that is awesome. Do you get the maps often or is it only once per zone? It would seem like I waste to use the maps at low levels if it was only one shot.

You can get the maps multiple times. I've gotten the Deshaan alchemist survey like 6 times, and the Stonefalls enchanter's survey like 8 times. Writs are basically ways to help you get some crafting exp without having to grind that poo poo over and over.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The writ rewards scale with you crafting skill, so don't worry about doing something stupid like wasting them at low levels. They give you boat loads of mats.

There is also an alchemy add-on (forget the name and I'm at work) that gives you a sane UI that let's you just select the potion you want to make.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is it just taking forever for the crafting circle jerk bank to load because it's so full, or are people not putting things in it so it's empty?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I use this add-on for alchemy and you basically can select potion strength and qualities and it will pull up a list of everything you can make. Just select it from the list and it will automatically slot the needed reagents.

Alchemy is also ridiculously easy to level up. I spent about 10,000 gold yesterday afternoon shopping for all the needed mats and then just went from level 5 to level 40 in less than an hour.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

Is it just taking forever for the crafting circle jerk bank to load because it's so full, or are people not putting things in it so it's empty?

The Guild Bank UI seems to freeze on load sometimes, if you are in multiple guilds you can try swapping to another guild then back. Or try loading in your bank first then go back to the guild bank.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man, no one took the name Swole Lizard yet so now it's mine :toot:

Requesting an invite to the EP guild for @FathisMunk

E: actually maybe I should have asked this first, but it is still true that every class can do p much everything right ? I can be a sorceror running around in heavy armor and using 2H weapons or sword and shield right ? Swole Lizard the Fight Wizard.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 25, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yep. I do that actually. Except it's medium armor instead of heavy, because Bound Armaments and Thundering Presence :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Man, no one took the name Swole Lizard yet so now it's mine :toot:

Requesting an invite to the EP guild for @FathisMunk

E: actually maybe I should have asked this first, but it is still true that every class can do p much everything right ? I can be a sorceror running around in heavy armor and using 2H weapons or sword and shield right ? Swole Lizard the Fight Wizard.
Welcome to the guild, and pretty much yes.
Some classes have abilities that play a bit better in certain roles, but as a general rule everyone can play whatever he wants to.

• Locked thread