Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Ok if this frog is going to annoy me at 1 in the morning with its calling, I'm going to annoy it with my camera

and here's tinyfrog. tinyfrog was incredibly photogenic but my awful cellphone camera made every photo except this one blurry. this frog has a lot of personality for a frog. to think the other subcontractor I was working with caught this one because "it would be funny to feed it to your python" :gonk:

Open to name ideas :)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

HEY VAPER posted:

Tinyfrog is really growing on me but I have no idea what I'm going to feed it, it's so small I feel like it could get seriously injured by cricket bites easily and may have trouble taking down even the smallest crickets. Might go try my luck at digging up some tiny worms. This one's obviously really young so it actually has hope for being trained to eat from a dish.
Confused flour beetle larva?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Fruit flies would work.i used to breed them when I had dart frogs but I found them to be such a hassle I sold my frogs. Onetwentysix can help you get started with setting up a number of breeding colonies.

If I'm being honest, it really wasn't that bad breeding fruit flies, I just didn't enjoy it. My go-to prey for small herps is lateralis roaches. The nymphs are very small and soft, plus roaches are way cooler and more enjoyable to keep.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I can't say for sure because I'm not 100% up on my western frogs, but I'm pretty sure those are both Pacific chorus frogs (or tree frogs; common name is usually Pacific tree frog, but they're Pseudacris, not Hyla, so chorus frog makes more sense), one is just a juvenile.

Yeah, keeping WC isn't a bad thing if done responsibly (where else do WC animals come from?), but usually Rana are a really bad choice for pets due to space needs. If it were a wood frog, those are generally an exception. Chorus frogs are pretty decent captives, too.

As far as food goes, fruit flies will be best, especially for the small one. There are a bunch of places online that sell them; joshsfrogs.com comes to mind, though I've gotten mitey D. hydei cultures from them before. You can order them or else just make your own; you won't need a lot of cultures, maybe two a week to make sure one doesn't go bad and leave you stranded.

You can make media with mixing 1/2 cup of dry mix (I make dry mix and keep it separate, with a box of potato flakes, ~4 cups of powdered sugar, ~4 cups brewer's yeast) with 1/4 cup apple sauce and 1/4 cup of vinegar (might add 1/8-1/4 cup of water). Microwave for 2-3 minutes (kills any mites in dry mix, also helps expand mix), add some coffee filters for places for the flies to pupate on, add flies, repeat every week, and you can start harvesting after ~14 days.

The larger frog might eat worms, and if you can get enough smaller worms, they'd be a much better food (no need for supplements), and easier than fruit flies. I hate making fruit fly cultures more than anything I do regularly in my life, though, especially cleaning out the mason jars I use (quart-sized). Doing 1-2 wouldn't be so bad, though.

As far as training it to eat from a dish, I don't think age is going to matter. An older frog or a younger one should both eventually learn to eat from a bowl.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Petco sometimes carries fruit flies in tubes now too. They are lovely and overpriced, but when you need small feeders fast it can tide you over till you have something better in place.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Petco sometimes carries fruit flies in tubes now too. They are lovely and overpriced, but when you need small feeders fast it can tide you over till you have something better in place.

thanks, this might just be the way I'll go. i was really worried about it starving until I can figure something steady out.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I wen't herping today, but I decided that it was too drat cold for anything. I did however find snake heaven and I will be going back soon. I present SNAKE HEAVEN along the Mississippi River.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

I wen't herping today, but I decided that it was too drat cold for anything. I did however find snake heaven and I will be going back soon. I present SNAKE HEAVEN along the Mississippi River.

I haven't gone herping in a while, but last night I was driving home from work and almost hit a Sonoran Desert Toad (it was very dark, so fortunately he was a big guy). They're one of my favorite herps to find, they're such fat little things.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I put replaced the old top platform in my iguana's cage with a new one that's twice as big and has a comfy bed so now of course he won't use it. It's only been two days so I'm hoping he'll change his mind. Maybe trimming his claws at the same time was a mistake? Idk

He really likes his new swimming pool/toilet & fountain tho. I dug out an aquarium powerhead pump to try to increase his humidity & it seems to work provided it doesn't get clogged with poop.

Anyway hi I have an iguana & plated lizard

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

platedlizard posted:

I put replaced the old top platform in my iguana's cage with a new one that's twice as big and has a comfy bed so now of course he won't use it. It's only been two days so I'm hoping he'll change his mind. Maybe trimming his claws at the same time was a mistake? Idk

He really likes his new swimming pool/toilet & fountain tho. I dug out an aquarium powerhead pump to try to increase his humidity & it seems to work provided it doesn't get clogged with poop.

Anyway hi I have an iguana & plated lizard

Plated lizards are v cool but iguanas have always been rude to me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I regularly order fruit fly cultures from Ed's Fly Meat (which just renamed to just fly meat, https://www.flymeat.com I think last month). Erin doesn't always have Hydeii but there's always Melanogaster, and you can also buy culturing kits if you want to go that direction. Fruit flies are perfect food for very small frogs because they've been bred (by scientists!) to be flightless, so they behave like ants (which is one of the principle foodstuffs of dart frogs) while being far, far easier to culture and feed than ants.

I am now feeding only three dart frogs, but I always have two cultures which I keep a few feet apart so it's less likely that both would crash at once from mites or something. Each culture tends to peak after about three weeks, but will last around six if kept at the right temps and fed-off regularly (to avoid an overpopulation and then pop crash).

I'm too lazy to make my own cultures, so I just order two cultures every ~6 weeks, but back when I was doing it myself, it wasn't that hard. The worst part is just cleaning out culture jars for re-use, you have to scrub the chrysalises off the glass and it's kind of a gross job.

The best fruit fly medium recipe I ever found was one based on bananas and frozen concentrated grape juice: It's the "power mix" on this page. Holy drat does that recipe produce like nuts, I'd seed a jar with flies and in two weeks the inside surface of the jar would be 100% coated with pupating flies.

Notably, the names dropped on that recipe (erin, tracy hicks) are hoary grandpas of Frognet, the old dart frog listserv that's been around for decades now. (Tracy Hicks recently died, RIP, he was a really cool person.)

Rice flour beetle larvae also work well for small frogs, but I don't like culturing them because if any escape and get into your kitchen, hey guess what, they'll contaminate your rice, flour, pasta, beans, cereal, and anything else they can get into. Gross.

I've also had some kind of bean beetle/weevil, which were fun, you just get a deli cup full of beans, and the beetles do their full life cycle in the cup. Feeding them off was a challenge though, it wasn't always easy to get some out without dumping beans into your frog enclosure.

The one thing I would avoid is superworms and mealworms, unless you're 100% sure they're OK with that species. Both types have fairly tough exoskeletons that aren't always easy for some frogs to digest, and they can also both bite. Garden earthworms and wax worms are both much softer and better, although wax worms are quite high in fat so should not be fed too much.

The key thing of course with all frog food items is to make sure you're supplementing properly with vitamins and calcium. Many frogs also require UV so make sure you know what your frog needs and you're providing it.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Possibly odd question, but I'm in the process of growing a couple different strains of chilis and have been wondering if in a few months when they are large enough to transplant if it would be feasible to plant one in my Tokay's giant viv since the Purple Peruvians I am growing are pretty and would look nice added to the plants already in there. I can't find anything on the toxic for him.

I know they're a nightshade and that would be a big no no if it ate plants at all, but I'm not sure if the leaves/stems would give off anything that might be toxic and I haven't found anything so far in my googlefu either way on the subject.

Anybody ever try/have any info on the subject?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I would say no because if a feeder bug eats the plant then the gecko eats it, that could be bad.

I sold some snakes, so I bought a lizard:

African fire skink, I'm going to try to make a bioactive setup with live plants and little bugs that eat poop.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

I would say no because if a feeder bug eats the plant then the gecko eats it, that could be bad.

African fire skink, I'm going to try to make a bioactive setup with live plants and little bugs that eat poop.

I'd get the micro isopods. Larger species will probably get eaten.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Thanks for the fruit fly info everyone, fruit flies have always seemed like wizardry to me and it's really nice that you guys broke it down for me in a way that's easy to understand. Temporarily I'm just dusting crickets for the big frog, and doing the pet smart flies for the little guy (the culture is going shockingly well) because I don't want a bunch of crickets living inside my apartment (been there, not fun.) but once I get some spare time I'll be cleaning out the storage shed on my balcony, putting shelving in, and I'll use that space to grow + gut load crickets, flies, and probably start breeding my own mice for the snake. Also thanks to whoever told me that Pet Smart has fly cultures, that really saved my rear end in a pinch. Wasn't sure if little guy ate them the first time around, but tonight I just watched him eat at least 20 of them, and he took down a small cricket that I threw in for shits and giggles, I was worried it would be a bit big to fit in his mouth but I monitored him and he did fine. The python is taking out a large to very large mouse every week and seems to have no issues being hungry enough even though the internet says she should only need a medium if I feed that often, so hopefully she starts getting really big because she's a bit on the skinny side for her length. Previous owner was feeding her only every 15-30 days so I'm guessing she has plenty of room to grow with my improved diet :)

e: noticed that the little frog's digging tunnels in the substrate and hiding in them, that one's new to me for a tree frog. Thought it may have escaped when feeding the other day when it went MIA for two nights, since its so tiny. probably going to redo that terrarium next time I get paid; I mostly made it out of stuff I've used for much larger frogs in the past & it only ever seems to hide in said tunnels, or underneath the large piece of driftwood in the middle of the tank. Haven't once seen it use the water dish or any of the hides yet. Also had to remove the driftwood (s)he came to know and love because it started growing fungus, despite having been baked before I put it in :(

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 26, 2015

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Radar's coming to terms with his new upper shelf. He's still not happy with it but he can get on and off it by himself now. One day he'll thank me for giving him a shelf big enough for his entire body. One day.

E. That day is probably not today

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm getting ready for my first properly prepared show. I have my containers, labels, business cards, a roll of paper towels, and hand sanitizer. I'm getting a logo designed right now it will be ready in time for the show. What else do I need to have?

I'm going to take cash, checks from people I know, and PayPal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'm getting ready for my first properly prepared show. I have my containers, labels, business cards, a roll of paper towels, and hand sanitizer. I'm getting a logo designed right now it will be ready in time for the show. What else do I need to have?

I'm going to take cash, checks from people I know, and PayPal.

A lockbox for your cash with bank envelopes. They come in handier than they seem to until you're there. Though most people really don't do cash these days. I always print caresheets for first timers too.

Mimetastic
Nov 10, 2009
This is Dorian, a Mexican Black Kingsnake. He's my first snake (my partner has had snakes in the past) and is now 3(-4 ish) months old. :3: I can't get enough of him. He's really relaxed, always eats well, and is growing like crazy.

Older photo - sorry about poor quality/lovely Instagram filters:

And a slightly more recent one. I love his stupid fat head. :allears:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm interested in getting a royal (ball?) python at some point in the future because I've been told they're very good beginner snakes (and much prettier than corns or milks!) but the required equipment is a little confusing and overwhelming.. I've noticed loads of starter kits for snakes, but are these any good? Would something like this be appropriate for a baby? I know the viv shouldn't be too big for shy snakes, but I don't know if that brand of heat mat is decent or that thermostat. I also read that royals are better off with a bulb rather than a mat on one care sheet, and the opposite on another. Would a mat be appropriate while it's a baby, then switching to a bulb when it gets a new enclosure? Or will a bulb make the humidity too difficult to manage?

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

Mimetastic posted:

This is Dorian, a Mexican Black Kingsnake. He's my first snake (my partner has had snakes in the past) and is now 3(-4 ish) months old. :3: I can't get enough of him. He's really relaxed, always eats well, and is growing like crazy.

Older photo - sorry about poor quality/lovely Instagram filters:

And a slightly more recent one. I love his stupid fat head. :allears:

Pretty! I've always wanted one. I almost got one at a show a year or so ago but ended up with a different snake. I heard the Mexican Black Kingsnakes can be kind of wild and bitey, even for a kingsnake. Nice to hear you love yours. Maybe I will pick one up after all.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Mats are fine for all ages and way less hassle imo. That kit looks great, but get the next size up if they have it. Baby balls are much larger than baby corns.. You probably want to have a second hide, one for the warm spot and one for the cool spot. I don't have any experience with that brand of tstat but if it's good you can put just about any heat mat on it and it will be fine.

Mimetastic
Nov 10, 2009

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

Pretty! I've always wanted one. I almost got one at a show a year or so ago but ended up with a different snake. I heard the Mexican Black Kingsnakes can be kind of wild and bitey, even for a kingsnake. Nice to hear you love yours. Maybe I will pick one up after all.

That's funny, mine has never even attempted to bite and just sits on my hand quite frequently. Sometimes he'll actually climb up onto me out of his tank. :D Maybe I just got lucky - I heard they often like to try and escape too but I've had no problems so far!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Nitrate posted:

Mats are fine for all ages and way less hassle imo. That kit looks great, but get the next size up if they have it. Baby balls are much larger than baby corns.. You probably want to have a second hide, one for the warm spot and one for the cool spot. I don't have any experience with that brand of tstat but if it's good you can put just about any heat mat on it and it will be fine.

Thanks man, really appreciate an experienced eye. I know starter sets for a lot of pets are junk so I was a little wary of getting all the wrong stuff for something as sensitive as a snake. I'll probably buy all that stuff separate and replace the tank with a larger RUB now I know what I'm starting with :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

Holy gently caress that's pretty. Is he a speed demon or a does he hardly move?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Apologies for the rubbish photo but my phone refused to focus on him.

Is this normal behaviour for a royal python?
I'm still only in my second month of ownership so it might be normal but I wanted to check, he only started doing it last night.

The only other thing he's doing different it tasting the air for longer periods like he normally does during feeding.
Could he be hungry and should I break the usual pattern and feed him early?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
He's periscoping. Totally normal.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Hood Ornament posted:

Oh, there's a word for this! I always called it 'being a giraffe'.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
ERMAGERD HERGNERGS

This is the female

And this is the male

I can't handle the cutes :3:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Hood Ornament posted:

Okay thanks. Glad it isn't anything bad because it is so cute :3:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

freelop posted:

Apologies for the rubbish photo but my phone refused to focus on him.

Is this normal behaviour for a royal python?
I'm still only in my second month of ownership so it might be normal but I wanted to check, he only started doing it last night.

The only other thing he's doing different it tasting the air for longer periods like he normally does during feeding.
Could he be hungry and should I break the usual pattern and feed him early?

Not only is it normal - if he can reach his head up to something, he can pull himself up onto it. Branches, ledges, bookshelf, top of the enclosure...they're not arboreal but when young can and will climb.

No reason to feed early.

dog days are over posted:

I'm interested in getting a royal (ball?) python at some point in the future because I've been told they're very good beginner snakes (and much prettier than corns or milks!) but the required equipment is a little confusing and overwhelming.. I've noticed loads of starter kits for snakes, but are these any good? Would something like this be appropriate for a baby? I know the viv shouldn't be too big for shy snakes, but I don't know if that brand of heat mat is decent or that thermostat. I also read that royals are better off with a bulb rather than a mat on one care sheet, and the opposite on another. Would a mat be appropriate while it's a baby, then switching to a bulb when it gets a new enclosure? Or will a bulb make the humidity too difficult to manage?
Royal pythons need belly heat (at around a steady 90F) to help them digest. How young is the snake you're going to get? Basically, and all the care sheets should agree, you want to provide a set up with a warm side and a cool side (and a hide in each area), so the snake can thermoregulate itself.

I think you'd be better off saving money for a proper set up and then buying the snake. A young ball python is fine in a large enclosure if you give it 2 hides, and lots of cover. Or you can just cut down the available area inside the enclosure.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 29, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Silver Nitrate posted:

Love those colours. Wish I hadn't seen this photo because now I want an African fire skink. How large do they grow?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Record size is 15" nose to tail tip, but most are less than 12", basically not much bigger than this guy is right now. It's a good size :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Holy crap everyone wants my stupid colubrids. I am trading one for a bunch of driftwood and I am extremely excited about this. For your amusement, here is Mr. Slithers demonstrating an outgrown hide.

Edit: That skink is a spaz, but calms down once picked up. Evidence

However, the mate I got for it is a biter (as you can see from the evil in his eyes) and will draw blood. :black101:

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 4, 2015

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Hi there. Not a herp owner but work with some in the store I'm at.

Quick question on ball pythons and their lovely habit of going off feed. Our lemon blast recently JUST ate again(this friday) after not having eaten since we got her in November. She wasn't dehydrated or losing weight like we tend to see with a lot of BPs that go off feed for too long or are sick and is always pretty active, for a BP. I was mostly wondering if it was just a time of year sort of thing, or some sort of early breeding trigger? I know corns and such can go off feed during late winter/spring but this is probably the only case we've ever had with a young snake not eating for 4 months(or longer?) that wasn't also sick.

Silver Nitrate posted:

However, the mate I got for it is a biter (as you can see from the evil in his eyes) and will draw blood. :black101:

Fire skinks are rad as hell.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

aerialsilks posted:

Hi there. Not a herp owner but work with some in the store I'm at.

Quick question on ball pythons and their lovely habit of going off feed. Our lemon blast recently JUST ate again(this friday) after not having eaten since we got her in November. She wasn't dehydrated or losing weight like we tend to see with a lot of BPs that go off feed for too long or are sick and is always pretty active, for a BP. I was mostly wondering if it was just a time of year sort of thing, or some sort of early breeding trigger? I know corns and such can go off feed during late winter/spring but this is probably the only case we've ever had with a young snake not eating for 4 months(or longer?) that wasn't also sick.

Many ball pythons go off feed every winter. For this one my guess it was just season related.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Silver Nitrate posted:

Many ball pythons go off feed every winter. For this one my guess it was just season related.

That's what I assumed, but we've never had it happen in young snakes before so it's been pretty alarming. He finally ate this Friday after about twenty minutes of leaving the mouse in there so hopefully the good luck continues.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So regarding the terrarium from my earlier post, I think I've finally convinced them to allow some changes. I may need some better herp keepers to guide me along though.

Since I've started working there (a small public museum) the anole's right foot has completely dropped off and his climbing abilities have noticeably decreased. The tree frog is still around and I've started misting the tank several times a day to keep up the moisture for it and the others. The frog and anole are fed crickets and the turtle gets 4-5 mealworms a day (and whatever crickets it can chase down). The turtle also appears to have developed a few small white (what I assume are) mites on its shell (or something else-- I thought reptile mites were brown or black, so could these be harmless wood mites?), though it's not lethargic or sickly.

I'll release or euthanize the anole in the next few days. I don't know if it's MBD or just damage from dehydration or what, but it's unlikely to get better so I figure the humane thing to do is get him out. Then we'll bathe the turtle to drown the existing mites. Should I add in a bath of olive oil too? A coworker is looking in to a powder from a pet store but I'm thinking thrifty. Meanwhile we're going to remove all the existing mulch and put in a new batch. The tank and its setpieces (halfpipe log shelter, hammock, climbing stick, feeding tray, water dispenser) will get a cleaning with diluted bleach, so dilution ratios would be appreciated for that (I read somewhere 4 oz/L but I can't find that reference again). Not sure whether to rinse the bedding too or just put in a new batch (after freezing for a week, I read somewhere)? Either way, the new or cleaned bedding will be added back in among the four or five live plants we have set up.

Any tips or changes? I know this is basic stuff for most of you but I sort of had this dropped into my lap since nobody appears to know the last time this setup was cleaned or how it's been maintained, so any guidance is a big help.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 6, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Do you have pictures of the 'white spots'?

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They are insects. They are tiny and lice-sized and they move.