Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Changing the original chariot and elephant pieces to bishops and rooks: cultural appropriation of the original Indian game?!

And they even genderwashed the vizier!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

At least Chinese Chess has cannons.

What.

I have not heard of this. Please continue.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least chess shows that medieval Europe was loaded with black people.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
White gets to go first? Of course it does. :(

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
When I run a monstrous PC, am I a race traitor or a part of the vanguard?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

UnCO3 posted:

Gamma Patrol
How it works: each player creates a character and a threat (both randomly-rolled, then fleshed out by the players themselves) and the characters work together or alone to defeat the threats before they destroy the village the characters protect. Uses a bunch of different die types (d4-d10), but the mechanics are pretty simple: roll when you fight a threat, results above 3 are successes and help you defeat threats, below 3 causes trouble or create more problems, different die sizes represent different things like your character's abilities, advantages, danger etc.. The game has specific endings: the village is saved, the characters or village are killed, the villagers flee to elsewhere.

How it fits: not-that-serious tone might help new players get into it easier, generally-defined setting that still allows a lot of player input, clear goal (defend the village), simple rules, one-shot, quick character generation, co-operation mechanics, although you could have a GM it's not strictly necessary. Also free.

It's based on Pocket Danger Patrol, a free pocket version of the pulpy retrofuturistic game Danger Patrol, but PDP doesn't have a specific central goal like Gamma Patrol's 'protect the village'.
I am remembered! I keep meaning to start up another one. Last time I played in person one of the players ended up dating a fungus. I found a good actual play recap of gamma patrol a while back, but I can't find it any more. e: Found it!

goodness here is a link to the Gamma Patrol rules, it's not actually linked on the Danger Patrol main page for some reason. You'll also need to read the base Pocket Danger Patrol rules.

Geiger Counter looks really interesting.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 25, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PurpleXVI posted:

Only one explicitly female piece in Chess? Wow, patriarchy. Where are my transsexual rooks?

I too, enjoy using trans people as a punchline.

not

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah this thread being pretty helpful in showing who not to game with right now.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Better no gaming than elitist gaming?

Helical Nightmares posted:

What.

I have not heard of this. Please continue.
Cannons move like Rooks, but can only capture while hopping over an intermediate piece.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 25, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Splicer posted:

I am remembered! I keep meaning to start up another one. Last time I played in person one of the players ended up dating a fungus. I found a good actual play recap of gamma patrol a while back, but I can't find it any more. e: Found it!

goodness here is a link to the Gamma Patrol rules, it's not actually linked on the Danger Patrol main page for some reason. You'll also need to read the base Pocket Danger Patrol rules.

Geiger Counter looks really interesting.
Yeah Geiger Counter looks pretty cool - I've been meaning to run a game of Pocket Geiger Counter: Hubris, but I'm in/running quite a few games on here already at the moment so it'll have to wait. The pocket version is also missing rules for some stuff (inter-character conflict), but I've got some houserules sorted out for that.

I'm up for another go at Gamma Patrol, though obviously after I've finished with some of my current games.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

I too, enjoy using trans people as a punchline.

not

Isn't true equality having to be a punch line now and then?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

bunnielab posted:

You're right, we should mock straight cis white men more.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bunnielab posted:

No, it's not using people as a punchline when they're part of a marginalized group of people anyways.

Edit:

Loki_XLII posted:

This goon gets it

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Loki_XLII posted:

Watch any current sitcom. The straight white dad is the punch line.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure the punch-line was that rooks are the chess piece completely impossible to assign a gender to. It'd be like saying asking why there are no Latino chess pieces, only white and black.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

No, it's not using people as a punchline when they're part of a marginalized group of people anyways.

So at what point has a certain group been enough brought into the fold that you can make fun of them? Can we make "drunk irish" jokes now? "mobbed up" italians? "lazy mexicans" is clearly off the table, but I feel the polish are an edge case, they are white, mostly christian, but they are undergoing pretty real discrimination in the UK right now and have historically been a punching bag. Are the spanish white enough to mock? Not that I know enough about them to really think of anything offensive.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The lack of character of the Turkman is always a safe bet

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

bunnielab posted:

So at what point has a certain group been enough brought into the fold that you can make fun of them? Can we make "drunk irish" jokes now? "mobbed up" italians? "lazy mexicans" is clearly off the table, but I feel the polish are an edge case, they are white, mostly christian, but they are undergoing pretty real discrimination in the UK right now and have historically been a punching bag. Are the spanish white enough to mock? Not that I know enough about them to really think of anything offensive.

See, this is the kind of thing I was talking about. We all paid very good money to be here. And we shouldn't have to put up with stupid jokes or be told "lol lighten up" because of who we are or what we were born with. (What we think of certain things is a slightly different matter. For example, I can say with much confidence that if this is really what you think and not some strange FYAD affectation, that I am happy that I don't play games with you, bunnielab. :flame:)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

See, this is the kind of thing I was talking about. We all paid very good money to be here. And we shouldn't have to put up with stupid jokes or be told "lol lighten up" because of who we are or what we were born with. (What we think of certain things is a slightly different matter. For example, I can say with much confidence that if this is really what you think and not some strange FYAD affectation, that I am happy that I don't play games with you, bunnielab. :flame:)

I said it in a lovely way but the point is valid, if you are going to ask people to " not using people as a punchline when they're part of a marginalized group of people" then it is a fair question to ask "whom is a fair target to be used as a punchline"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bunnielab posted:

"whom is a fair target to be used as a punchline"?

Let's start with "people who have to ask which slurs are okay for them to use" and go from there

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

Let's start with "people who have to ask which slurs are okay for them to use" and go from there

Ok, what are acceptable targets for comedic insult and jest? Like, unless you find the entire concept of levity to be wrong, you must find something funny, let me know.

Like really, I swear I am not "just asking questions", I honestly want to know. I work in a super super progressive profession (theatre) and have never encountered this level of....I dont even know, ideological purity? in real life before. So, in all respect, and please feel free to PM me, but honestly want to know where you two, whom I believe are not just trolling or fake posting, stand on the idea of comedy and social justice.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

Watch any current sitcom. The straight white dad is the punch line.

I mean, I guess when they're not making a punchline of his shrewish wife or any other offensive stereotype in any given episode, sure.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Loki_XLII posted:

shrewish wife

I saw this and was like "hah, I bet there is loving furry art of a sexy lady shrew like 3 clicks away, I should post that to lighten the mood".

But then I came to my senses and didn't look.

But you know it's out there, you just know it is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Ok, what are acceptable targets for comedic insult and jest? Like, unless you find the entire concept of levity to be wrong, you must find something funny, let me know.

Like really, I swear I am not "just asking questions", I honestly want to know. I work in a super super progressive profession (theatre) and have never encountered this level of....I dont even know, ideological purity? in real life before. So, in all respect, and please feel free to PM me, but honestly want to know where you two, whom I believe are not just trolling or fake posting, stand on the idea of comedy and social justice.

Super simple way of understanding mockery humour without covering all the specifics. If the person is more fortunate and is known to be well off, its okay to mock them. If a person is less fortunate and known to have to undergo hardships regularly then its often not okay to mock them. Punch up, dont punch down.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I'm ok with the following slurs directed at me: Mordekaiser player, huehueboy, Blanka, swap.avi actor, favela bandit, germany's bitch boy, "flathead", cangaceiro, big penis haver, really macho guy,

Not okay with: Macaquito Brasileņo seriously what the hell argentineans.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnielab posted:

I said it in a lovely way but the point is valid, if you are going to ask people to " not using people as a punchline when they're part of a marginalized group of people" then it is a fair question to ask "whom is a fair target to be used as a punchline"?

it's who, not whom. you wouldn't say "him is a fair target", would you?

:eng101:

also the answer is "privileged groups" (white people, men, straight people, cis people) if you really have to target people for your humor in the first place

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tollymain posted:

it's who, not whom. you wouldn't say "him is a fair target", would you?

jesus christ i thought this thread could not get worse

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you don't find grammar nitpicking on a rule most people don't know exists a funny joke, idk man

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

what the gently caress is going on

how did i miss hivemindchat 'cos that's kinda ~appealing~ in the abstract

why are there so many overtalkative garbagechans here suddenly

bunnielab posted:

why do you have such consistently terrible opinions

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other problem is the "tumblr SJW", who by dint of loudness became the "face" of the concept social justice. These are the people who have no sense of scale to their moral outage: all offenses are equally offensive, all injustice is equally terrible. They have the same rage level regardless of if they're seeing a news story about a trans teen being beaten to death or if they're a vegan seeing someone post a picture of their steak dinner on their photostream. And because they treat every slight as the end of the loving world, people now associate even a basic statement as "misogyny is bad" with stuff like "my doctor said I needed to lose weight because I'm running a severe health risk HOW DARE HE FAT SHAME ME".

And yes, that's a thing I honestly saw on tumblr.
who unironically whines about TUMBLR SJWS UGH outside of the chans and redpill drat son

how do you get from "someone saw the doctor and got upset bc the doctor focused on weight (to the neglect of any other issue by the sound of things)" to THOSE "TUMBLR" "SJWS" THEY HAVE NO SENSE "OF" SCALE

like yeah being overweight is a health problem but if it's not the sole problem somebody's worried about I don't see where it's some ~CRAZY TUMBLRINA THING~ so much? And if your takeaway from the majority of SJ stuff on social media (tumblr or twitter or otherwise!) is 'HRNFGH IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE SEEING A PICTURE OF STEAK OR A TRANS TEEN MURDERED IN AN ALLEY THEYRE SO ANGRYYYYYY' i think that's more telling about you than anything else.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

if you don't find grammar nitpicking on a rule most people don't know exists a funny joke, idk man

punch up not down

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

i'd totally fuckin say 'him is a fair target'

all hims #wow #whoa #killallmen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay

ettin you're a bad poster and you smell like burnt cheese

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

fukkin prescriptivists

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually not a prescriptivist in the slightest. I mean, have you seen my posting?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm ok with the following slurs directed at me: Mordekaiser player, huehueboy, Blanka, swap.avi actor, favela bandit, germany's bitch boy, "flathead", cangaceiro, big penis haver, really macho guy,

Not okay with: Macaquito Brasileņo seriously what the hell argentineans.

how do you feel about "shard-born stewsman"

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Winson_Paine posted:

jesus christ i thought this thread could not get worse

Didn't you use to be the mod here, how could you even think that.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Saguaro PI posted:

Didn't you use to be the mod here, how could you even think that.

pro modding demands you pick someone who will do the job just a little bit worse than yourself so you will look better, i think i fukkin nailed it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

pro modding demands you pick someone who will do the job just a little bit worse than yourself so you will look better, i think i fukkin nailed it

You probated epic dude Etherwind for 100k days, Ettin is better.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Tollymain posted:

I'm actually not a prescriptivist in the slightest. I mean, have you seen my posting?

there isn't a prescription strong enough heyooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin, free Etherwind.

• Locked thread