Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

I love this. Great depth of field.

Internet Junky posted:

Love these and can't wait to see more. I just signed up for a sharp-tailed grouse lek tour, but it's not until after April 15th.

Thanks! I've never seen a sharpie lek, but the videos I've seen look amazing. Super acrobatic when fighting, and cute synchronized foot stomping dances.

More from today. A harrier flushed most of the birds off the lek. With the lek vacant, one of the peripheral guys got to hang out in the good area. He was so excited he kept finding things to stand on and look cool.

a cowpie... (does other animals poo poo count in this thread?)
Greenband on Cowpie fs 1963 on Flickr

And a big ant hill. I've hardly ever seen a male sage-grouse climb up one of these but this guy did it at least 3 times during the morning

Anthill sage-grouse fs 1960 on Flickr

green band sage-grouse king of the mountain 1965 on Flickr

>100%crop I think. Go Tamron Go!
Male sage-grouse headshot nicked comb 1962 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Yay!

Unfortunately I have no idea what photo I submitted to them.

Love these and can't wait to see more. I just signed up for a sharp-tailed grouse lek tour, but it's not until after April 15th.

Congrats!

I saw a flock of Canada Geese a couple days ago, while I'm not a big fan of those assholes, it does signal that migration season is upon us! :toot: :goshawk:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Why is it the most annoying birds are the first signs of spring? Last night I saw a flock of about half-a-dozen "seagulls" (some sorta gull, I didn't get a great look, please don't hate me) moving north down the river. They *could* be from the group that stays year-round at the landfill, but I haven't seen many gulls on the river since November so I suspect they're migrants.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm really enjoying those sage grouse lek pictures, BLNT. What beautiful creatures.

Congrats on the photo getting published InternetJunky! I'm waiting for the next issue of ABA's Birding magazine to arrive in my mailbox with the member showcase that has one of my shots in it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice.

A few clips from yesterday:
I think the female Belted Kingfisher in the pair that's courting is the one I used to see over by the tidal wetlands. The pattern in the belly band is a match and she seems less apprehensive of heavily-trafficked areas than the other kingfishers. She ate a smelt on a branch right near me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiHkJOk6A0

An American Avocet feeding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8jNLMOQhSg

There's a bush in full bloom where a few Anna's Hummingbirds come regularly to feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hBeFDEFsqM

A bittern caught a newt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMqYC3qC3c

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those videos are fantastic!

There was a small mixed group of black-capped chickadees, downy woodpeckers, and white-breasted nuthatches flittering around an empty feeder at a farmhouse we stopped at in Manitoba.
Birds near feeder 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Birds near feeder 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Birds near feeder 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Birds near feeder 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some more environmental shots of the grouse. Nice being at a lek that didn't have research junk on it.

Cot Upper Lek fs2 1972 on Flickr

Cot Upper Lek trio fs 1973 , on Flickr

Cot Upper Lek smack fs 1975 on Flickr

It was really dark- focus not great and I'm not sure I couldn't pull off the concept better next time...
Cot Upper Lek long exp sm 1976 on Flickr

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Those grouse pictures are pretty good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Longspurs at the Weather Station 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
(probably a repost, from summer 2013)

Those are great grouse shots!

The Snowies at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg were sleepy.
Snowy Owl 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snowy Owl 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Black-backed Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Finally got out of the arctic tundra that is the northeast and into the southeast. Trip to Florida provided many cool bird sightings that i'm not used to seeing. I'll try not to spam the thread. Upgraded to a 7D II and got a little trigger happy so I have thousands of photos to go through.

Here is an egret trying to figure out how to get a shrimp down.

Snow Egret Shrimp by justincook5376, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TheMirage posted:

Trip to Florida provided many cool bird sightings that i'm not used to seeing. I'll try not to spam the thread. Upgraded to a 7D II and got a little trigger happy so I have thousands of photos to go through.

Nice Egret / crustacean pictures.

Florida is fantastic for birds, please do spam this thread with as many Florida birds as you can.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Ok. Pelican time.

American White Pelican by justincook5376, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is a Really Good Picture.

Beautiful bird.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ducks in Flight
by RottenCookies, on Flickr

I don't really have much cold-weather clothing, so birding hasn't been very possible here in New York. I did go out and freeze a little bit recently and got this. Just some mallards, but I got them with a manual 135mm yay :unsmith:

It was at f/2.5, ISO 800, 1/5000s, so I probably could have traded off shutter time and some iso to stop down and maybe get the female in focus as well. As always, you guys are kicking the poo poo out of me with your awesome photos. Very awesome stuff. But I am proud of my little poo poo I'm doing here.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ducks in Flight
by RottenCookies, on Flickr

I don't really have much cold-weather clothing, so birding hasn't been very possible here in New York. I did go out and freeze a little bit recently and got this. Just some mallards, but I got them with a manual 135mm yay :unsmith:

It was at f/2.5, ISO 800, 1/5000s, so I probably could have traded off shutter time and some iso to stop down and maybe get the female in focus as well. As always, you guys are kicking the poo poo out of me with your awesome photos. Very awesome stuff. But I am proud of my little poo poo I'm doing here.

Any manual focus birds in flight shots are awesome in my book.

Couple more for today before I take a break.

Reddish Egret by justincook5376, on Flickr

Little Blue Heron by justincook5376, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The February issue of Birding finally arrived, and there's my photo taking up a half-page in the new member's showcase feature:

:iamafag:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kenshin posted:

The February issue of Birding finally arrived, and there's my photo taking up a half-page in the new member's showcase feature:

:iamafag:

Congrats! Did they pay you or do you just get credit?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just credit, they had an open call for submissions back in November and choose the 20ish they liked most. :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

i was in BC a few weekends ago, taking pictures of birds and things, and avoiding the brutal February weather in Ontario. I've been learning how to use a telephoto lens, and finally hit on some repeatable technique that weekend. I prefer to shoot in full manual, and I don't fully trust the auto focus on my camera yet.

Wood Duck by kingdugga, on Flickr
Mallard Photobomb

Mr. & Mrs. Wood Duck by kingdugga, on Flickr

Spotted Towhee by kingdugga, on Flickr

Lesser Scaup by kingdugga, on Flickr
Nictitating Membrane in action

Sandhill Crane by kingdugga, on Flickr
There was a small pod of these guys looking for people giving handouts and yodelling to their mates once they found some.
One lady tried to hand feed one. "Ouch" was what I heard.

These were all taken at Reifel Bird Sanctuary in southern BC. It's practically a petting zoo for wild birds...err... Mallards. Most of the birds there don't mind people at all, even if they aren't interested in them as a potential source of food. It's still cool though, you can get a lot closer to birds that you wouldn't otherwise be able to (like Scaup, who usually seem to float a lot further out in a lake).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the refuge I went to when I was in Vancouver a couple of years ago. I remember thinking how wrong it was to be that close to a bird that big with that long of a beak.

Breeding has started on at least one of our sage-grouse leks. It's pretty nuts right now.

Cottontail Top Territory 1981 on Flickr

juvie male keeping his distance from the scrum
I want to go to there 1980 on Flickr

Cottontail Top Territory wide 1982 on Flickr
with close-up crop (too dark I'm realizing)
Male sage-grouse airborne 1983 on Flickr

Bonus pic: Nothing says clean like standing on some poo poo then rubbing your foot all over your face
Horned Lark Scratching 1985 on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
More Florida Birds.

Brown Pelican by justincook5376, on Flickr

TriColored Hello by justincook5376, on Flickr

It's cool seeing a bird in the wild that you've only ever seen in a zoo. Here is a pink velociraptor:

Roseate Spoonbill by justincook5376, on Flickr

Here is a guy I hope to see migrating through the northeast within a couple of weeks:

Palm Warbler by justincook5376, on Flickr

I think this Osprey has a Needlefish, but I'm not sure if thats exactly right.

Osprey Fish by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/123734945@N08
/]justincook5376[/url], on Flickr

Osprey by justincook5376, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
There has been a brief and unexpected burst of sunshine this morning (well, through thin clouds until the thicker ones cover us up again) and I found a red-breasted nuthatch hollowing out a nest cavity in a tree behind my apartment building.

I'm very impressed with the D7200 so far even though I've hardly had a chance to use it, but quite frustrated with how bad Capture NX-D is (which I have to use until Adobe adds the D7200 to Adobe Camera RAW) including how bad its jpeg export is (even with settings on 100) so I'm exporting full-resolution to TIF and then using another program to resize and convert to jpeg.

Here's the female nuthatch. She's got quite a hole dug so far but is still going; occasionally I'd get a frame with a few tree fibers in her beak which she'd promptly drop. She was keeping a sharp lookout for her own safety so her head would go in the hole, back out to drop fibers, look around, then back in.

ISO 2000, f/8, 1/2500s, 600mm. Moderate crop to around 65% of the original frame. If I were using Lightroom this would look a lot better. :(

A few more because oh my god you guys the autofocus on this camera is so good and fast and accurate. I endured Capture NX-D to bring you these. :v:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 21, 2015

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Nice shots. What kind of hawk is that?

More Florida spam:

This guy waswide awake and hunting during the day for his nearby family. Didn't get to see the mom or little ones though:

Barred Owl by justincook5376, on Flickr

Barred Owl by justincook5376, on Flickr

Wood Storks are pretty cool. We they feed they do this weird scraping motion on the water with their feet. I haven't lookedup what the purpose of it is yet, but I assume it's to clear the way to get to the food at the bottom.

Wood Stork Eating by justincook5376, on Flickr

Wood Stork by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sapsucker:

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pretty sure this is a Carolina Wren.

Carolina Wren by justincook5376, on Flickr

Boat Tailed Grackle:

Boat Tail Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Nice shots. What kind of hawk is that?
Red-tailed, the tail is a bit washed out in the bright light. If I was using Lightroom I'd know how to fix it.

Love those owl and stork shots.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There is a fairywren harem in my backyard. Old mate has 4 females on the go.

They're so small so I had to crop this pretty heavily. Ignore the next door neighbor's roof in the background there.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

You've been posting some great stuff lately, TheMirage. Keep it up.

Most of the Great Blue Herons around me are really camera-shy, but the one that arrived in the McDaniel Slough tidal wetlands last year sometimes lets me hang out nearby if I'm quiet and still. It was fishing by the mouth of the slough yesterday afternoon.

gbh-strike by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-floof by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-strike2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

After a bit, the one from Arcata Marsh that's a total rear end in a top hat to other Great Blue Herons showed up and chased it away.

gbh-showdown by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Marsh Wren

marsh-wren-yell by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Long-billed Curlew

curlew-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
The Red Shouldered Hawks encountered down there seems much smaller than the ones I've seen up north. Maybe they were young, but they looks like full adult plumage to me. I must have seen 20 of them and they were all kind of small, not sure if there is a reason. Here is one: *edit: looked it up apparently south Florida hawks are know to be more compact.

Red Shouldered Hawk by justincook5376, on Flickr

There were many Opsrey nests on the southwestern edge of the Everglades near the bay area. Took this picture and didn't realize there was a baby in the nest until I was going through the pics. So cute:

Osprey Momma by justincook5376, on Flickr

Purple Gallinues have some attractive feathers.

Purple Gallinue by justincook5376, on Flickr

Purple Gallinue by justincook5376, on Flickr

Cormorant Eyes are also quite attractive.

Cormorant Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
You guys just don't have the guts to shoot up close with these raptors.

Vanessa by torgeaux, on Flickr

Depth of Focus by torgeaux, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poo poo's terrifying.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Did someone say raptor close ups? Not quite that close.

Vulture Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

Some others:

Loggerhead Shrike by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Grebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Pair by justincook5376, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheMirage posted:

Did someone say raptor close ups? Not quite that close.

Vulture Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

Some others:

Loggerhead Shrike by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Grebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Pair by justincook5376, on Flickr

Nice, but. . . every bird below your raptor is facing and traveling left to right. It's funny the things that you notice.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh man, that shrike photo.

Dude you are churning out gold lately.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Couple of shots from the yard today:

Western Scrub-Jay

Northern Mockingbird

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Feral bird edition:

Egyptian Goose by justincook5376, on Flickr

Egyptia nGoose Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

Babies!

Egyptian Goslings by justincook5376, on Flickr

Muscovy Duck by justincook5376, on Flickr

He just wanted to get laid:

Peacock by justincook5376, on Flickr

Peacocking by justincook5376, on Flickr

She wanted nothing to do with him

Peahen by justincook5376, on Flickr

These guys are the only birds i had trouble with on the whole trip. They chased me, the goslings, and any other bird remotely near it away. Then the roamed around looking for trouble. Feral Chinese Geese:

Chinese Geese by justincook5376, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just got back from Southern California. I didn't take a ton of photos, but I did a ton of birding and ended up with fifteen new life birds.

Black-Throated Sparrow 1
by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Black-Throated Sparrow 2

I have a couple dozen photos of two Burrowing Owls that I shot from 20ft away through my open car window. None of them are sharp. I'm not sure if I just didn't focus right or if the heat waves caused by the mix of AC cooled air and outside air messed them up :(

Salton Sea Burrowing Owl

Pissed off Allen's by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Hooded Oriole 2

I did a butchered attempt on cloning out the twig in this photo in Lightroom. I could probably do a lot better job in Photoshop when I have some more time.

California Thrasher 2

California Thrasher 1

Edit: I also just placed an order for the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary from B&H which apparently is now shipping. I'm hoping it's better than the Tamron, which I've heard mixed things about, but I guess we'll see. Now I just need to sell my 100-400mm Mark1.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 26, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^^ Awesome shots, especially that Oriole! How long did you have to wait for the Thrasher to pop out? On my last trip to California, I could hear them all over the place, but I only had a brief glimpse of one and it was behind a branch.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bubbacub posted:

^^^ Awesome shots, especially that Oriole! How long did you have to wait for the Thrasher to pop out? On my last trip to California, I could hear them all over the place, but I only had a brief glimpse of one and it was behind a branch.

Funny story about that. Although I don't have post worth photos of them I found Le Conte's and Crissal Thrashers in Borrego Springs (eastern San Diego County) the week prior. These are both considered pretty hard to find birds and I was really lucky to get both of them relatively easily. California Thrasher is supposed to be relatively easy to find and I was surprised i hadn't stumbled into one on prior California trips. I had two days to bird Orange and San Diego counties. The first day I half-heartedly looked for them with no luck, but the second they were basically my top priority. I even ran into a guy who gave me the old stand here and play a recording, but no luck. Finally I ran out of spots to check an hour before I had to be to the airport. I pulled out my phone and drove to the closest patch of green I could find. It turned out to be a bustling suburban park complete with tennis, baseball, and basketball games going on and not much habitat of any kind. I grabbed the last parking spot, sighed and walked to a small patch of bushes at the edge of the lawn where some kids were playing soccer literally twenty feet away. I pulled out my phone and went to hit the California Thrasher song and heard it loud and clear. Too loud and clear, actually. I hadn't hit the button yet. I looked up and the California Thrasher was singing ten feet in front of me completely unprovoked.

Thanks for the compliments on the Oriole shot. I wasn't that fond of it on first look, since I knew the conditions sucked (bird high in a tree with harsh lighting), but on second look it's not that bad. I saw Scott's, Bullock's, and Hooded Oriole's on this trip and I'll be in Texas next month where I should see Orchard, Baltimore, Altamira and hopefully Audobon's Oriole's. I'm pretty stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't think I've ever posted this here, from ages ago but slipped through the cracks somehow.