Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drc edge is by far the best choice, and yes you should replace the stock tail, mine got sucked into the rear tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Drc edge is by far the best choice, and yes you should replace the stock tail, mine got sucked into the rear tire.

I have an edge. It's nice.

Also you can buy lenses for it for about $5 if you're inclined to mailboxing your bike.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
That's actually a very nicely done stock tail.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nature powerwashed my bike today, sweet! I'm all set for like, the next 6 months

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All Suzuki owners use that method to clean their bikes btw.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pls, I did that to my kwakka too

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

M42 posted:

Nature powerwashed my bike today, sweet! I'm all set for like, the next 6 months

god dammit stop posting things that make me want to take out a loan

edit: don't actually stop

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

All Suzuki owners use that method to clean their bikes btw.

I used it to clean the inside of my engine. :downs:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

rotaryfun posted:

Aaaand she's back!!

Clean chain, stock ride height, and fresh rubber.

Now come on weather!

Why don't I know what this is?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ziploc posted:

Why don't I know what this is?

It's an FZ-1 naked.

I wish mine was that colour instead of silver. Jealous.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I went for a trek around the Austin, TX area. I road in some stupid wind but overall had a blast.

Here is babbys first offroad trail.. even if it was a short one

I also parked next to a drat that holds a lake in that barely exists.

And by the looks of the rust on my exhaust someone needs to paint his exhaust.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Minkee posted:

had a blast.

Buell joke: that must have hurt.

Post reference joke: ... of wind?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
washed bike, applied SC1 clear coat

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Minkee posted:

I went for a trek around the Austin, TX area. I road in some stupid wind but overall had a blast.

Here is babbys first offroad trail.. even if it was a short one

Gotta learn somewhere. My first time on gravel and dirt was steep rear end fire roads going up and down a 500 ft. hill. I'd take yours any day. Every time gets easier.

Somewhere right about cheare

nsaP fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 31, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Giblet Plus! posted:

washed bike, applied SC1 clear coat

That looks real nice, I ought to do the same thing to mine

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It's 38 degrees out but goddamn it's supposed to be 60 sometime this week so off the stand for a bath, quick chain scrub and a relube. Think i got most of the garage dirt off it. I'm out of S100 so just a microfibre and some light soap... I'll give it a proper bath and a good polish come real warm weather.

feelsgoodman.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, if I had a bike that pretty I'd be warshing it all the time.

Also: riding it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nice Rc8!

n +1'd it.

His and his bikes. Now to go bike camping this weekend.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is that a 400 or 250? I'm having trouble telling the difference, especially when it's not a stock tank.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its a 2007 DR650

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Which 650 is more tractor like? :)

Probably fun rides out in your neck of the woods!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the DR is definitely a gently caress of a lot lighter.
I'm gonna take it to work tomorrow and lower it an inch for him. we're going bike camping this weekend in buttfuckistan, I'll let you know which is better in the dirt. (his).

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Having recently visited the underside of an oncoming SUV, it seemed to me the only logical and reasonable thing to do was to double-the-gently caress-down.

So, with that in mind:

\o/ a green blur, let's start as we mean to go on eh!

The actual money shots.

It was 10km to get it home, and I haven't ridden for 6 weeks, so I was more than a bit hesitant & grabby at the controls.

It sounds loving lovely with the 'very angry wasp' exhaust (thanks for that DrRevMosesPlester).

PO had some gold coloured gubbins here and there, but I asked for it to go as close to stock as possible while I get comfy in the seat.
I do like the high rear licence plate, so I left that alone. Those indicators aren't stock either.
I forgot to ask for the front licence plate to be wrapped around the front fork, as it is, it's stuck inside the front windshield.

I was very sorely tempted to go for the 300 since I was really really enjoying the 250 (pour one out for the homes). But, I'd have felt a mug if I didn't take the opportunity to get on a 600.
If it proves impractical, I'll trade back down as soon as I'm allowed (3 or 4 months), I don't think it will though.

Despite my nerves and having been out of the saddle a few weeks, it all felt as natural as it should despite having to adjust to a fresh set of controls.

Originally, I was hoping to go from the 250 to an F3 800 but more recently I've had my eye on the HP4 in the background of the above pics, though I'd probably just for the standard S1000RR.
There was an RC8 avilable, but the prices for European imports is pure extortion here.

Anyways, we'll see what the next year or so brings, in the meantime - new biek! I'm so happy I could pop.

:D

(of course the minute the paperwork was done, he wheeled in a 636 - I honestly never worry about poo poo like that, you makes your choices from what's in front of you.)

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Nice, count another one up for team green. What year is it?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Giblet Plus! posted:

Nice, count another one up for team green. What year is it?

2013, the first year they released the 636 in the U.S.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
TECHNICALLY THEY...:spergin:

Nice bike, congrats on the new toy! I strongly considered one of those as a track steed before going back to the 999.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Ha.

Thanks.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on a 6~ but I need to be back on the road, and this was marginally affordable.

~15K USD with 3.5KM on it

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Didn't realize the zx6 cost that much in TW; thought it would be cheaper over there.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Angryboot posted:

Didn't realize the zx6 cost that much in TW; thought it would be cheaper over there.

The import tax is flat across the board, Japanese bikes are preferred because there's less shipping involved and so the base price is lower.

But in general, we're paying approximately 200% on pretty much any given model, more for the high status brands Harley's/Duc, BMW, KTM
I could have saved a small fortune and bought one of the new Kymco or SYM 300's, but, ...., I like the green.

Managed to persuade the gf to hop on the back today.
Just after the accident, a friend of mine was leaving the country, so I was able to get his Alpinestars jacket, and his Zeus helmet for a song.
The gf is now using those. the jacket is a bit of a loose fit, but come colder weather she'll appreciate the extra room.

My Schuberth Helmet is kinda busted, and I wanna replace it. Schuberth on their Facebook page said they won't do a trade in (Taiwan is not in their program, I was just asking because I'd be daft if I didn't at least ask).

I want to get us both a decent pair of helmets with Bluetooth built in, ideally carbonfibre and modular. I don't want to go to Schuberth just out of spite, so I'm thinking Shoei just because they're Japanese and I might save some cash that way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Shoei makes a decent helmet. Probably going to replace my beat up 4yo Qwest with another Shoei. They recently announced that transitions visor on some models.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, didn't realize the tax situation is that high there. Then again I was a kid when I lived there so I wouldn't have known.

Just get a regular helmet then put a sena smh10 on it instead of getting a helmet with stuff already built in. Life is simpler that way.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Angryboot posted:

Man, didn't realize the tax situation is that high there. Then again I was a kid when I lived there so I wouldn't have known.

Just get a regular helmet then put a sena smh10 on it instead of getting a helmet with stuff already built in. Life is simpler that way.

Yeah, I'm looking at the add on packages rather than a built in version. I don't actually know which ones are good, and they all seem a bit spendy, but, it would be lovely not to crane my neck to hear the gf yapping. That said, I also lose the option to ignore/pretend I didn't hear - six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess ;)

One thing about the new bike I haven't sorted out yet, is how to mount my phone.

I used to have a ram mount by my left hand on the previous bike, but, I can't see where I could put one on this bike.
There is a space in the central column to mount, but the steering damper pretty much covers that.

I'll work something out I'm sure, but, I have to admit having the phone in front of me was a god send before, (Nokia Here Drive is a proper Garmin/TomTom like GPS) also it was great for messages and selfies :p

I'm probably gonna mount a front and back camera at some point too.

The combination of USB Charger/Phone & Bluetooth is very tempting. I'm not too fussed about a camera package, but i'll probably do it anyways.

clutchpuck posted:

Shoei makes a decent helmet. Probably going to replace my beat up 4yo Qwest with another Shoei. They recently announced that transitions visor on some models.

A friend used to have that visor on his carbon fiber modular, idk which brand the helmet was, but I know he picked it up at 25% the actual price because the clerk made an error. Idk how good the visor actually was, and tbh, I kinda like being able to flip the shade up and down as I see fit rather than it being automated. That said, I never got to road test it, so i'm not sure how effective it is.

url fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 4, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rode mines road today.

Spouse definitely hauls rear end on the dr650.
Bonus SV for size reference.

I get weird looks from people for doing twisties on dirt tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
We should do a Bay Area meetup, just for giggles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah why not.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
yesterday at the Talimena Scenic Byway

later, finding out that the GPS had not been updated with the latest blocked roads

Today at uhh, some back road northeast of me?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

url posted:

2013, the first year they released the 636 in the U.S.

Why does it have 600 stickers on the tail? I have a 2014 and its 636 back there.

I'm pretty sure that's a 2012 (or earlier), when they switched to the 636cc they started mixing more black plastics into the body.

edit: actually after doing some google searching I'm not sure on that anymore, every picture I'm finding has some black plastic panels, I can't find a year that had all green on everything like that.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 5, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My 09 was all green. I miss it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My mom wanted me to go to Easter service with her... So I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

NippleFloss posted:

I'm considering picking up one of these soon. Post your thoughts when you've had some time to form an opinion. What else did you look at?

The bike is awesome, no question. The break in period is killer, already did some things I shouldn't have. Short shifting it at 6k feels like a crime. Coming from carb to FI is a dream. It sounds fantastic. The seat is a little less comfortable than you might want.

When shopping, I wanted a naked bike, sport bikes are uncomfortable. I really wanted a round lamp model but couldn't find a good one. I looked at the Speed Triple, but decided against it due to the extra weight, much more expensive insurance and the reviews saying the street was the better buy if you weren't taking it to a track. I also looked at the Ducati Monster, Yahama FZ-09 and a variety of other similar bikes, but the there's something about the Triumph that I really liked.

VERTiG0 posted:

Gorgeous bike, goddamn. Also whats up local Southern Ontario dude (Inglis Cycle plate frame).

Thanks! And yo fellow SWO goon. Where you at?

apseudonym posted:

I've had a 2014 for almost a year now and I love it to death. loving amazing bike.

Though sometimes I wish I could get luggage for it for those crazy road trips I do, but I console myself with the jet-engine sounds the bike makes.

Yeah man, the sounds are definitely the best part. I was considering upgrading to the this Remus Hypercone exhaust, but honestly it sounds so good stock already. Have you done anything to yours?