Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ddraig posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that the whole Midnight Animal thing is a dramatization of Jacket's actual murder spree. I guess the director pieced together details from the actual case (i.e. he used a mask, got weird phone calls, had a girl involved and all that other stuff) and made a dramatic retelling of it that they get a bit too involved with.

Yeah, even down to the blonde-haired woman that Jacket carries away, but of course since it's an Edgy Slasher Movie he doesn't just carry her away he rapes her on the spot. The police station rampage is a jailbreak, with an added Supercop SWAT Guy to make it more intense.

But I really do get the feeling that they had written or even coded a lot more for the actor, and then just cut it for the game and stuck it onto the beginning. The whole game feels like they had at least six vastly different ideas for how to do a sequel and then just did them all, and cut their ideas for each down to just the barebones structures. But apart from Martin and Beard, the rest of the stories at least directly (or indirectly) intersect. You could take Beard's story or Martin's and make two totally self-contained stories out of them. That being said, I can't wait to do exactly that when the level editor comes out, and see what other people come up with.

quote:

The interesting thing about this is that if it is a retelling of Jacket's crime, done up, then the police station thing sort of indicates that maybe some of the post trauma levels weren't actually just a coma dream?

I was pretty positive that everything that happens after Trauma actually happens. Jacket goes on to kill a bunch of cops and that other 50 Blessings killer, then takes out a bunch more Russian Mafia guys finally ending with the Boss. The cops are storming the penthouse just as Jacket's on the balcony smoking a cigarette and looking at the Polaroid. That's why the Son is the new head of the Russian Mafia in the second game, all that stuff actually happened, the cops got Jacket and put him on trial, etc.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ddraig posted:

e: The interesting thing about this is that if it is a retelling of Jacket's crime, done up, then the police station thing sort of indicates that maybe some of the post trauma levels weren't actually just a coma dream?

Yeah, the stuff from trauma on happens unambiguously as presented.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think Martin's levels are mainly there to give a brief 'Previously on..' segment. Obviously it's completely embellished and 'sexed up' but most of the salient facts on what happened in Hotline Miami are there, I guess.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lacedaemonius posted:

It's 'magazine', and that's false.

lol did you really do this?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I remember there was going to be a film made about Armin Mewes (or at least based on it) that he took issue with because the case was ongoing and they got some of the facts wrong.

I like to imagine Jacket doing something similar with his portrayal in Midnight Animal.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Wait, when do we see Tony get killed?

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Pardo murders him while he's trying to surrender at the end of Death Wish, I think.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Full Battle Rattle posted:

He's the guy being tortured in 'Tension'.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Manny, Evan, the Fans and Martin all seem to show the effects that Jacket's rampage had on society. Martin in particular only really exists to show how mass media revels in violence while also embellishing events to the point that the barely resemble reality. Think of all those "based on a true story" films about serial killers or how every fictional murderers are based on Ed Gein.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Apart from 'The Abyss' are there any other secret areas in the game?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is it just me or is targeting messed up on the Vita version?

I can't lock on for poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Genocide achievement (50,000 kills) is so ridiculous to unlock without letting the game run overnight with an auto-clicker, I'm betting that when the level creator comes out a lot of levels are just going to be built around getting tons of kills as quickly as possible so you can grind it out.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Sleeveless posted:

The Genocide achievement (50,000 kills) is so ridiculous to unlock without letting the game run overnight with an auto-clicker, I'm betting that when the level creator comes out a lot of levels are just going to be built around getting tons of kills as quickly as possible so you can grind it out.

Reminds me a lot of the 'Zombie Genocider' achievement in Dead Rising, but much worse.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I went through Normal and Hard and got about 10k from all the gently caress-ups that occurred, plus all the kills I've been getting from shooting for A+ on every scene. It's not that out there, but I see how it'd get annoying fast.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
For reference, short of hacking the game or downloading a savegame right now the most sane way to get it is to glitch the respawn system so you respawn with a gun in your hands in a position where you're locked in a continuous cycle of shooting and dying.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure you end killing at least 5000 dudes just by playing the game normally. If editor kills count, you'd rack it up pretty quickly.

What is this idiocy where people want endgame cheevos with as little thinking as possible? If a game has 50 enemies and gives you a trinket for 50 kills, you don't kill the first dude and restart 50 times, you just play the game normally and get the reward that way. Focusing on one task at a time is understandable but when it turns everything into a bizarre grind, it's time to put the controller down.

quakster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 25, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Beekeeping and You posted:

Pardo murders him while he's trying to surrender at the end of Death Wish, I think.

Detective Pardo shot a dangerous criminal, and it's only a pity we don't have more brave officers with movie star good looks like him.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

RandallODim posted:

Detective Pardo shot a dangerous criminal, and it's only a pity we don't have more brave officers with movie star good looks like him.

Agree

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

:allears: I know it's wrong to like memes, but god drat if posting about how great detective Pardo is and how scary the Miami Mutilator is doesn't make me smile.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

quakster posted:

Pretty sure you end killing at least 5000 dudes just by playing the game normally. If editor kills count, you'd rack it up pretty quickly.

What is this idiocy where people want endgame cheevos with as little thinking as possible? If a game has 50 enemies and gives you a trinket for 50 kills, you don't kill the first dude and restart 50 times, you just play the game normally and get the reward that way. Focusing on one task at a time is understandable but when it turns everything into a bizarre grind, it's time to put the controller down.

The achievement isn't for 5,000, it's for 50,000.

I 100%'d the game and according to Steam almost twice as many people have managed to get an A+ in every level as have killed 50,000 enemies. (0.67% of players vs. 0.36% of players, respectively) It's something that was obviously intentionally designed to be difficult to get and require a huge investment of time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well if just anybody could do it through normal play, it wouldn't be an achievement would it? :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

King Vidiot posted:

Well if just anybody could do it through normal play, it wouldn't be an achievement would it? :v:

Explain Karma then.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a reverse achievement - see how many people don't have it unlocked but have game completion/hard mode clear/etc. unlocked. (Granted SAM sort of invalidates that)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I don't feel like run is very hlm1-ish. :shrug:

not saying it is, just saying it was as much of an unexpected disorienting surprise as most of hotline 1 was

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does hard mode have any differences in the story or is it just inverted levels?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aside from the new intro, no, nothing else changes story-wise.

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
How does hard mode unlock? I finished the game and have As and Bs on most stages but whenever I try starting a new game from the menu I don't get any option, it just starts normal mode again.

Krime posted:

Is it just me or is targeting messed up on the Vita version?

I can't lock on for poo poo.

Are you using the touchscreen or the square button? I found that touch screen targeting didn't work properly on the left side of the screen while being perfectly fine elsewhere. Since my Vita's touchscreen is perfectly functional elsewhere, I'll just assume a sloppy port job.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Master of Stealth posted:

How does hard mode unlock? I finished the game and have As and Bs on most stages but whenever I try starting a new game from the menu I don't get any option, it just starts normal mode again.

Are you using the touchscreen or the square button? I found that touch screen targeting didn't work properly on the left side of the screen while being perfectly fine elsewhere. Since my Vita's touchscreen is perfectly functional elsewhere, I'll just assume a sloppy port job.

Touch pad.

Beat Apocalypse and press square on the continue menu to toggle difficulty.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

For reference, short of hacking the game or downloading a savegame right now the most sane way to get it is to glitch the respawn system so you respawn with a gun in your hands in a position where you're locked in a continuous cycle of shooting and dying.

What's the point of cheating for Steam achievements?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Prestige.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Put that on my tombstone; the one no one will read when the nukes go off.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So is there any reason for me to continue past the first soldier level, Ambush? Been playing the game in dribs and drabs since it released, in one hour chunks lest I start breaking poo poo at the difficulty.

And I know these soldier levels get worse, but christ. This is so totally unfun it boggles the mind. Particularly loved finally getting to the last screen, and finally arranging it so there are two enemies left in the stage. But apparently when you run out of bullets, your character automatically reloads and there's no way to switch to the knife. Because gently caress you, that's why.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

So is there any reason for me to continue past the first soldier level, Ambush? Been playing the game in dribs and drabs since it released, in one hour chunks lest I start breaking poo poo at the difficulty.

And I know these soldier levels get worse, but christ. This is so totally unfun it boggles the mind. Particularly loved finally getting to the last screen, and finally arranging it so there are two enemies left in the stage. But apparently when you run out of bullets, your character automatically reloads and there's no way to switch to the knife. Because gently caress you, that's why.

It doesn't do that. If you run out of ammo you have to actually manually go get more from an ammo box, even.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Stop playing games when they become unfun I suppose.

You're not even halfway through the game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

He automatically reloads (with the shotgun) whenever the round or clip is finished but there's more in reserve. I'm aware that I can restock in the ammo boxes.

Also, I am apparently missing a mask with the fans. Just started the tenth scene and I have the bear mask and tony, but am missing the swans (the twins, according to a guide). Is this normal?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Narcissus1916 posted:

Actually they get better, that's the messed up part. Stop reading other retard's opinions on games and form one for yourself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It doesn't do that. If you run out of ammo you have to actually manually go get more from an ammo box, even.

Yeah it does, when you first get your weapon you have more than one clip and will reload when empty. It's only when you're empty that you start picking up single clips at a time from ammo boxes and never reload.

My big question is how anyone could get to the final screen of a Soldier level without firing off all their starting clips :psyduck:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yeah it does, when you first get your weapon you have more than one clip and will reload when empty.

The sniper rifle has a fairly significant delay after every shot too.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
One thing that has surprised me about both HLM games is that there's never a secret back doorway or hidden entrance on any of the levels. HLM1 had the mask in the secret sewer but I don't think HLM2 has anything outside the perimeter of levels. You'd think there'd be at least one just for kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah it does, when you first get your weapon you have more than one clip and will reload when empty. It's only when you're empty that you start picking up single clips at a time from ammo boxes and never reload.

My big question is how anyone could get to the final screen of a Soldier level without firing off all their starting clips :psyduck:
Pretty easily on Normal - I played them like some kind of hosed up Metal Gear Hotline and ran into and out of sight lines so I could knife people to death one by one, since I was always worried I'd run out of bullets.

(it turned out the ammo boxes weren't just decoration :shobon:)

• Locked thread