Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Went to Hobbytown on my lunch break.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

This is really really cool and an aspect to scale modelling I have not seen much or know anything about.

You don't have any WiP pics do you? or could you do a walk through post about how to go about doing something like this.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Nice work, though I got distracted when I recognized your photo backdrop there. Where'd you get the lights?

Thanks! The lights came with the spray booth. I don't know if it's a newer model but I noticed that not all of them come with it when I was shopping around online.

Also, thanks Bloody Hedgehog for the heads up on that super discounted Sotar! Mine arrives tomorrow and soon I'll see how well I can handy a fine detail airbrush compared to the more basic work I've been doing with my Patriot 105 :ohdear:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

big_g posted:

This is really really cool and an aspect to scale modelling I have not seen much or know anything about.

You don't have any WiP pics do you? or could you do a walk through post about how to go about doing something like this.

Thank you! I have some WIP pics I can post later, at work currently.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh god what is this hobby I've gotten myself into

Oh well, end of day one and I've gotten most of the lower hull finished and have started the upper hull. Great success! I even filed my wheels so there's no mold line :snoop:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Wheels are easily the most boring part of making tanks. You clipped off and sanded down this nearly featureless disk? Good job, now do it again 20-30 times. It's smooth sailing after that though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ensign Expendable posted:

Wheels are easily the most boring part of making tanks.

Pretty sure that's the track links.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Seconding this. Individual track links suck when you just want to finish your fifth <tank> for a platoon. At 1/72nd. :smithicide:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

COOL CORN posted:

Oh god what is this hobby I've gotten myself into

Oh well, end of day one and I've gotten most of the lower hull finished and have started the upper hull. Great success! I even filed my wheels so there's no mold line :snoop:

I've built models on and off for 25 years or so. One of the reasons it's been on and off is because it's easy to get discouraged when you make a mistake or your build isn't as nice looking as stuff you see on the box or posted online.

Pick a skill or two that you want to improve and set realistic goals for your model builds and you will enjoy the hobby much more. Nothing breeds success like success and not chewing off more than you can chew until you get your feet under you helps keep enthusiasm levels high and you are rewarded by having finished models to look at.

Ask anyone here who has been putting silly plastic kits together for any length of time how many unbuilt and partially built kits they have laying around.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Ask anyone here who has been putting silly plastic kits together for any length of time how many unbuilt and partially built kits they have laying around.

Don't remind me of that, holy poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I actually enjoyed it a lot! Even though I haven't progressed much. I'm sure the whole thing will turn to pure frustration when i start painting though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Living the dream...of being a hoarder

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The backlog of some in the gunpla thread will give you nightmares. I only have a measly 15 or so waiting.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

big_g posted:

Here's a few from the build. Not too in depth, but it does give you an idea of the detail and the parts involved:

Here's the fairings. The tank, airbox cover, and tail are composed of several parts that were assembled prior to painting.

Most bike kits made these days are MotoGP bikes, both past and present, but there's plenty of roadgoing bike kits as well. since the kit manufacturers are almost all Japanese, so are the bikes themselves, but there's a few kits here and there that aren't. Tamiya just release a Harley kit not too long ago. The standard scale is 1/12, with a few kits in 1/6 scale.

The kits themselves are surprisingly simple to build. The engine, fairings, swingarm, and other parts I can't remember are affixed with screws instead of glue. Much, much more forgiving. Detail painting is easy because the details are fairly large. your average car kit is 1/24 scale, so this is, in a matter of scales, twice as large. The wire you see for the brake lines is vinyl tubing, kind of like heatshrink. It's provided in the kit and the kit does a good job of diagramming which wire goes where. I opted to spring for the metal fork kit, and I really think it's worth the money. You just can't paint anything that looks as good as the real deal. That is, however, the only upgrade I really did. This is my first bike, so I didn't want to get too complicated. Alot of the parts in black like the rear fender and parts of the swingarm are actually carbon fiber, but for the sake of easy building I opted not to do any carbon decals. Since this scale is somewhat large, there's opportunity for lots of detail should you choose to make it. See here: http://www.topstudiohobby.com/tips/tip4.htm

The engine is assembled and panted first, followed by the frame, suspension, swingarm, rear wheel assembly, front fork, and thefront wheel assembly. Fairings are interspersed throughout, but most can be held off until the end, which is what I did. I used two colors for this build, Tamiya Pure White and Mica Silver, both decanted and airbrushed. Paint masks are supplied in the kit and are easy to use. Decals are typical good Tamiya quality. I cleared everything with Testor's Wet Look clear and polished with several grits of sandpapers and rubbing compound.

If there's anything else you wanna know, feel free to ask.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

everythingWasBees posted:

The backlog of some in the gunpla thread will give you nightmares. I only have a measly 15 or so waiting.

I only have 5 waiting, but given how long I'm taking on each one, that's like a 7 or 8 year backlog!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

everythingWasBees posted:

For example:

Bimmi posted:

Guess I have to post this at least once per thread:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

So please, tell me more about your loving backlogs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing about GunPla though is that lots of people just assemble the kit and never even panel line it. There's a whole different type of modelling going on there.

I don't want to talk about my stash.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh god, track links..... They look great when finished but until then they absolutely suck. Cleaning the sprue- and ejectionmarks on 400 tiny breakable parts sucks balls. Even more when you have to then glue them together with the tiniest parts you can think of (drat you Hobbyboss' T-26 links, drat all of you to a fiery plastic hell!)

I'm really thinking of putting the drat thing in a shadowbox diorama so I only have to do one side.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The thing about GunPla though is that lots of people just assemble the kit and never even panel line it. There's a whole different type of modelling going on there.

I can't imagine how people do that. I don't have the ability to paint in my current residence, but I still polish every nub down so that it's only visible when the light hits it just right, otherwise you just have discolored spots of plastic all over. And if you don't panel line it you can't even make out the details. If you're gonna spend that much on a model kit even if you're not painting it you should still do the best work on it you can, otherwise it's just a twenty minute build of a cheap plastic robot. And this is all keeping in mind that they're unfinished until I paint them later on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having seen some of the Ingram kits with the rubber joint parts I can see why you wouldn't want to bother, and trying to paint some Shapeways kits with moving parts now I am tearing my hair out trying to stop the joints from flaking when the kit moves at all.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

Then post a picture instead :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Seconding this. Individual track links suck when you just want to finish your fifth <tank> for a platoon. At 1/72nd. :smithicide:

What kind of masochist do you have to be to get individual links at 1:72nd!?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

That's insane. Each link would be this size -> .

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Then post a picture instead :v:
Sure... "a picture". That'll cover it... 1/72 is really cheap, so a box marked "Airfix Sherman" might have three and a Revell Firefly in there :ssh:

A lot of Revell 1/72 is just downscaled Tamiya 1/35 kits, and Italeri re-releases of old Esci stuff is often full of track links to glue to stuff. I've got a Panzer I here that I will just probably never build due to that. Sometimes they are completely individual links, sometimes just a few around the ends with a moulded top or bottom piece. These are some of the latter, but they still come out looking wonky for "no reason":

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shiny!

Yes, that's a terrible 'Firefly' reference

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Molentik posted:

(drat you Hobbyboss' T-26 links, drat all of you to a fiery plastic hell!)

Hmmm I am now a little less pleased to have that kit in my backlog.

The No Pasaran decals make up for it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I actually did individual links with the Italeri Jadgtiger I posted.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
How many got inhaled?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

An Angry Bug posted:

How many got inhaled?

If we're talking about the right thing, individual links are only needed around the drive sprocket and rear return wheel, the rest is usually done in larger lengths.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I got bored of Vickers suspensions, so I'm looking for a BT-5 to scratch that SCW itch, but the only one I can find is a Zvezda one for $30 and gently caress if I'm paying that much for an early Zvezda tank.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well, it is quite a good model to be honest. But really take care lining up the drivers hatch! Mine left a small gap that is pretty hard to putty and sand. For the tracks, you basically pin them together using two tiny bots that love to snap off or just wont 'bite'. If you can pick up a set of Friul metal tracks for cheap I''d say go for it! They are still a pain in the rear end but not like these.

Speaking of 1/72 individual tracks, have any of you tried the PE t-34 tracks? They look like fun! :smithicide:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Molentik posted:

Well, it is quite a good model to be honest. But really take care lining up the drivers hatch! Mine left a small gap that is pretty hard to putty and sand. For the tracks, you basically pin them together using two tiny bots that love to snap off or just wont 'bite'. If you can pick up a set of Friul metal tracks for cheap I''d say go for it! They are still a pain in the rear end but not like these.

Speaking of 1/72 individual tracks, have any of you tried the PE t-34 tracks? They look like fun! :smithicide:

Having gaps between components in early T-26es is completely historically accurate. They weren't exactly the pinnacle of technological achievement.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I got bored of Vickers suspensions, so I'm looking for a BT-5 to scratch that SCW itch, but the only one I can find is a Zvezda one for $30 and gently caress if I'm paying that much for an early Zvezda tank.

Look around for the TVA BT-5 mod.33, it's the Zvezda kit with the MR-Modelbau resin turret and metal barrel and hatches. I found mine on Ebay for €15. I'm still looking for the Eduard photo-etch set and some new tracks for it though...

e; it's this box

Molentik fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 25, 2015

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does any know of any guides or have advice on making a crashed plane model? There's a cheap, used P-47 model kit at a local shop that might be fun to make into a bit of terrain for Bolt Action. The main question I guess would be how to scratch build any formerly internal bits that are now exposed due to the crash.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lot's of Evergreen/Plastruct shapes and sheets. You can get good "mechanical" bits from old electronics as well. I always keep a stash of bits I've harvested from old broken things.

Then just try and find a reference to the parts of the plane that are going to be exposed, and rough out the shapes and bits needed. Since it's crashed, they don't need to be crazy detailed, since it's going to be all twisted metal blackened with soot and the like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also full of dirt, what with ploughing into the ground.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You can just submerge it into the ground with the tail sticking up. A crash landing doesn't have to reveal that many internal bits.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Things I learned in my first model build.
1) I use way too much cement. There so much shiny on my model. But I guess that'll be fine after I start priming/painting?
2) I am absolutely awful at dealing with tiny little pieces. I must have broken half a dozen while trying to trim/sand them, and lost probably 3 or 4 in the carpet, never to be seen again. Oh well, you live you learn.
3) I need to read the directions all the way through first. I wanted to make a DAK model, but when I got to step 7 it said "don't do step 6 if you want to make an African model, do this step instead" :downs: whoops

But it's coming along! Here it is with the turret and wheels dry-fitted on. Next up is to start down this wonderful road of painting. (Again, it's a PzKpfw IV Ausf. D)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Don't worry, all the shiny parts will be covered up when you prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
That's looking really nice so far especially for a first build.

And as stated don't worry to much about any difference in sheen or glue spots, the primer hides a whole multitude of sins.