Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mornhaven posted:

Has anyone seen Charlemagne form the HRE? In my current game he has all the necessary Kingdoms, but hasn't taken the decision.

I've seen it happen a couple of times, but it seems to not happen more often than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Managed to form the Kingdom of Eire by pouncing on the last independent county when they lost ally status with Scotland! Going about unifying now, I've managed to take one further county, I have my chancellor sowing dissent between the two counties of Tir Conaill in the North and I'm fairly sure that the Queen of Mumu's heir will have very poor allies, if any.

I wonder if I could go for a marathon and end up with a massive Irish Empire in EU4/V2? Would be pretty mental but not sure how fun it would be.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

mornhaven posted:

Has anyone seen Charlemagne form the HRE? In my current game he has all the necessary Kingdoms, but hasn't taken the decision.

I think it happened in my game, he had France + Germany + Italy wrapped up (sans Rome), and the coronation by the Pope event occurred. However he ended up with the tag Empire of France. Is this what's supposed to happen? I'm playing with HIP so that could have changed something.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

With how that event, and the mechanics of succession work I almost think it's not totally for Charlemagne AI since if he takes it the HRE gets way bigger de jure than it was, plus his empire never splits.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I started a 'chievement run as Mhumhain (becomes Munster) and I made the mistake of making an antipope. After swearing fealty to Scotland for protection, a few decades past and the Kingdom of Scotland splintered and I'm independent and have plenty of rich land and a bigger army than Scotland and Ireland.

I don't really feel like playing it so aggressive anymore but I might move to put my pope in the Vatican. I'm about halfway through (started from the 1066 start—I needed to learn how to play this game) and I wanted to try my hand at Eastern Europe from the 867 start. They're really poor though, so it seems like hardmode... is there any suggestions for an interesting character to play where I won't get steamrolled too early?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

marktheando posted:

He needs 100 relations with the pope and the AI never seems to try to improve pope relations. In my current game I had the same situation, so I just switched over to him, bribed the pope and switched back. He formed the HRE a few days later.

I wasn't sure if there was an event to give max relations with the pope. It seems kind of silly that there isn't since the AI will never form the HRE without it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

I started a 'chievement run as Mhumhain (becomes Munster) and I made the mistake of making an antipope. After swearing fealty to Scotland for protection, a few decades past and the Kingdom of Scotland splintered and I'm independent and have plenty of rich land and a bigger army than Scotland and Ireland.

I don't really feel like playing it so aggressive anymore but I might move to put my pope in the Vatican. I'm about halfway through (started from the 1066 start—I needed to learn how to play this game) and I wanted to try my hand at Eastern Europe from the 867 start. They're really poor though, so it seems like hardmode... is there any suggestions for an interesting character to play where I won't get steamrolled too early?

Magyar starts off with a bunch of event troops. Once you form Hungary, you get even more. Very easy start.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Magyar starts off with a bunch of event troops. Once you form Hungary, you get even more. Very easy start.

They capped both now, so it's no longer a ridiculous world conquest start (25 years to form the Roman Empire), but it's still pretty easy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

They capped both now, so it's no longer a ridiculous world conquest start (25 years to form the Roman Empire), but it's still pretty easy.

I think it's 8k right off the bat, and around another 20k when you form Hungary.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I don't want an easymode game, but just an interesting one where I just won't get my rear end kicked all over the place for making one small mistake.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Noyemi K posted:

I don't want an easymode game, but just an interesting one where I just won't get my rear end kicked all over the place for making one small mistake.

867 Karen start. Wait till you get wardecked and convert by decision to Islam. Swear fealty to Abby the jolly green giant. Do single county conquests within the empire till you're swole as gently caress. Murder the jolly green giant.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dyre the Stranger in the Old Gods start is an good one. Try to form Norse Russia.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Go viking. Hraldar of Viken or Sigurdr Snake in the Eye are fun characters, you'll make more than enough money raiding to fund your way from tribal to feudal. Both are pretty easy to reform the faith with as well.

There are other pagans, but they really just get progressively poorer and less fun to play.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I finally got through a brutal Seven Centuries Ironman campaign. I started as the King of Lombardy (to get "Iron Crown") and conquered most of Europe, but when I converted to Islam to get Viking Ummah I had to deal with about 2 Catholic revolts a year, so getting the clock to run down on that was brutal.

Achievements earned in this game:
Seven Centuries
Iron Crown
Viking Ummah
Bring it On
Wise Guy
Prestor John
St. Thomas's Dream
Beyond the Indus
And Stay Out!
I Can See Its Stripes
Medieval Schlieffen

Aside from the last hundred years, the hardest thing was first to take Ethiopia (for Prestor John) and then get use those shipyards to take the Kingdom of Sindh (for St. Thomas's Dream and Beyond the Indus) while avoiding both the Byzantine Empire and every Muslim territory altogether. Ethiopia or the Arabian Penninsula is necessary to make the boats connect from Europe. I had Elective Successor, so I was a genius most of the time and that helped a lot.

Every other achievement that I did not get in this game was because I already had it or it was beyond the scope of the game with the exception of crushing a Decadence revolt, because by the time I could do that I had 40 years left and those can be game-ending.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

jfood posted:

There are other pagans, but they really just get progressively poorer and less fun to play.

My awesomely fun Canary Islands Merchant Republic Reformed West African Empire of Mali game disagrees with you. :colbert:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Are heretic games any fun? I feel like it might be an endless stream of holy wars against you

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In an unlikely turn of events, my 4 Learning patriarch successfully converted the kingdom of Rus to Orthodoxy instead of getting horribly killed, like I planned. Suddenly what was a giant pain-in-the-rear end enemy that would instantly win wars for my rivals has become my best friend and brother-in-arms for holy warring the gently caress out of the area.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

verbal enema posted:

Are heretic games any fun? I feel like it might be an endless stream of holy wars against you

It depends, if you get a poo poo heresy like Waldesian or something then no, they suck. I played one as a Kharijite and it was literally the exact same as Ibadi, I just chilled out in Morocco and no one cared because the only Ibadis were in Oman for 10 years. Messalians are great fun to play as are Cathars.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I found taking pruthania and making a Purissian merchant republic really fun and the hardest part was surviving the initial thunderdome. Which isnt a big deal if you end up restarting over cause you screw up in the first 20 years.

Just remember your a defensive pagan, you can beat almost anyone from the west by letting them come into your land then stomping them down.

When you reforum you get your own holy order and you can raid the bejesus out of Britannia for all thr money.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

In my experience it tends to be the other way around. Generally if you're powerful enough people won't holy war you no matter how much they hate you, because they know you'd stomp them into the ground. So you're pretty much free to holy war up as much territory as you want. So long as you don't end up grabbing crusade targets too early you should be fairly safe from the Pope's wrath.

Just make sure you pick a heresy with interesting mechanics. A lot of them are just the same as the base religion, only less. I like Cathars because their ability to use women as councillors and army generals generally means you can easily get your hands on characters with really high stats that nobody else in your religious group will be using.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just make sure you pick a heresy with interesting mechanics. A lot of them are just the same as the base religion, only less. I like Cathars because their ability to use women as councillors and army generals generally means you can easily get your hands on characters with really high stats that nobody else in your religious group will be using.

Cathars rock. You double your pool of councilors and heirs. If I'm a Catholic and I have a chance to convert to Cathar, I usually do, if only for long enough to change succession to Absolute Cogniac and then convert back.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In my experience it tends to be the other way around. Generally if you're powerful enough people won't holy war you no matter how much they hate you, because they know you'd stomp them into the ground. So you're pretty much free to holy war up as much territory as you want. So long as you don't end up grabbing crusade targets too early you should be fairly safe from the Pope's wrath.

Heretic muslim religions are not very interesting (I think they all work the same) but are all very useful because you get to be caliph even when there already is a Sunni and Shia caliph, and nothing beats being the caliph. Best CB collection in this game.

Speaking of realigions: on my current game, the Tengri was reformed by AI Volga Bulgaria very early. Then when the mongols came, the Ilkanate came Old Tengri, while The Golden Horde came with Reformed Tengri. I wonder if its random or always like that?

In any case, that caused The Golden Horde to holy war the Ilkanate to death.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking of realigions: on my current game, the Tengri was reformed by AI Volga Bulgaria very early. Then when the mongols came, the Ilkanate came Old Tengri, while The Golden Horde came with Reformed Tengri. I wonder if its random or always like that?

In my experience it's always like that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So I'm kinda new to Way of Life, but is it usual for a homosexual ruler with seducer to start having babies with their lover? It wasn't that bad to start, but now there's a near-constant influx of bastards.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im playing on "Absolute Crown Authority" for the first time, I never go beyond high.

Well, according to the tooltip, my vassal were supposed to be unable to wage war now. The wiki says the same: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crown_laws

Except they still do. At least my vassal kings, they are still declaring wars inside and outside the realm like they dont give a gently caress.

Im not complaining, though, I only got absolute because is required for "imperial laws". But its weird, inst it? Is it a bug or there is something Im not understanding here?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Who would've expected a bunch of Spanish dudes to create an early Roman Empire mod? :psyduck:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Who would've expected a bunch of Spanish dudes to create an early Roman Empire mod? :psyduck:

People who read the unemployment rates? *ducks*

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

How is it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

I haven't gotten a chance to play it. They say it's very unfinished. They're still setting up the history files (I know that feeling).

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing on "Absolute Crown Authority" for the first time, I never go beyond high.

Well, according to the tooltip, my vassal were supposed to be unable to wage war now. The wiki says the same: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crown_laws

Except they still do. At least my vassal kings, they are still declaring wars inside and outside the realm like they dont give a gently caress.

Im not complaining, though, I only got absolute because is required for "imperial laws". But its weird, inst it? Is it a bug or there is something Im not understanding here?

I ran into this recently on my Empire of Israel game. I went to Absolute specifically because I wanted to prevent my realm from expanding more, but I had one Viceroy King that just kept warring the Aztecs. Couldn't figure it out.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is the option to order someone to take the vows tied to a certain DLC? I only own Way of Life and I can't seem to order anyone to become a monk/nun (trying to remove someone from succession).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

They might not be your De Jure vassals.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is the option to order someone to take the vows tied to a certain DLC? I only own Way of Life and I can't seem to order anyone to become a monk/nun (trying to remove someone from succession).

Sons of Abraham

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I've had trouble with this too, so I did some research on this issue. It turns out no matter how high your Crown Authority is, vassals can always fight their liege. If you are a king, your counts can fight their liege dukes. People get claims on each other and pursue them. It can also work cross-country in that your duke might have a claim on a city in another empire, and he might pursue it. Crown Authority just stops them from fighting people who are their exact rank within your empire.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Awesome, thanks.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
That's why I always roll with medium crown authority. Only reason to go higher is if you want imperial laws.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if you can use it on heirs, or if that was just bishop nomination.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can I get some tips for starting as a Muslim in Spain at the 1066 start?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Throw all of your relatives in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

You are the chosen warrior of God. Your hand moves by the will of the Greatest.

• Locked thread