Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

He could still be drafted as veep.

Draft Rick Scott as GOP VP candidate when he tires of looting Florida / is at risk of being investigated for corruption.

We could get a fan-related meltdown at the VP debate again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Speaking of the devil

Rick Scott to consider challenging Bill Nelson in 2018

:unsmigghh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh Christ. Like we need another 6 years of him, but this time he gets to have national impact.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Concerned Citizen posted:

He already said he's not going to run for president and Senate at the same time. There's a Republican primary brewing. Jeff Atwater, the state CFO, has his staff out there talking up a recent poll showing up running ahead of DWS and Patrick Murphy.

I was completely unaware of this. At least he'll do the right thing by Florida, and no longer represent us.

Jesus Christ, Bill. How the gently caress does one man get so god drat lucky with opponents every loving election? Bill McCollum, to Katherine Harris, to Connie Mack IV, and now Rick Scott? The Illuminati are Bill Nelson's errand boys.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Mar 19, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Gyges posted:

I was completely unaware of this. At least he'll do the right thing by Florida, and no longer represent us.

Jesus Christ, Bill. How the gently caress does one man get so god drat lucky with opponents every loving election? Bill McCollum, to Katherine Harris, to Connie Mack IV, and now Rick Scott? The Illuminati are Bill Nelson's errand boys.

Because he is our only ASTRO-SENATOR.

I have a feeling Graham would be encouraged to run for Gov in 2018, but it's more likely she'd win in a Presidential year, and she'd probably be the only candidate that could win the senate race sans Rubio anyway. I'm fine with her being the nominee. I'm resigned to Democrats never winning back a swing state gov seat again as long as there's a Dem president. poo poo policy in half the country is better than ending Medicare and starting a war with Iran.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pohl posted:

It wasn't just mileage, the guy was skimming like crazy. Flights, concerts, hotels, etc etc. He probably would have gotten away with it to, but that article about his office came out; people realized he was probably gay, and everything went to hell. Once people started digging, he was sunk. The thing to remember is, he probably could have gotten away with it if he didn't attract attention. Unfortunately for him, he was all about attracting attention.

It wasn't the office itself that was the issue, but his staff freaking out about someone wanting to write about his office

That raised suspicion

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It wasn't the office itself that was the issue, but his staff freaking out about someone wanting to write about his office
Smoke. Fire. And whatnot.

If his office staff had been a little less incompetent they could have spun a yarn about meeting an INDEPENDENT SMALL BUSINESS OWNER who also appreciated Downton Abbey and who volunteered their time to decorate the office! Of course congressman fancypants paid for the materials and labor out of his own pocket, and now he can speak about the industriousness of [Home Town] while the fat cat bureaucrats hem and haw!!!

Or basically anything than 'No! Don't look in there! Don't write about this! None of this!!'

FilthyImp has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Mar 21, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I imagine working for Schock must consist of being in a perpetual state of emotional meltdown. The junkets, the office, the podium, the not-at-all boyfriend, you must figure it's only a matter of time before everything loving explodes at once. Like if he was just a closeted gay homophobe or just a spendthrift it would be OK. But they are inextricably intertwined in a giant fuckball of fabulousness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ted Cruz is announcing his run for president tomorrow. Can he run for both president and senate in TX?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ted Cruz is announcing his run for president tomorrow. Can he run for both president and senate in TX?

I am not sure if you can or not, but it's immaterial: Cruz's term is not up until 2018.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Franco Potente posted:

I am not sure if you can or not, but it's immaterial: Cruz's term is not up until 2018.
For some reason I thought he won in 2010.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

If he was up, he could do both. Bentsen was on the ballot for Senate and VP in 1988. He won the Senate race.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

De Nomolos posted:

If he was up, he could do both. Bentsen was on the ballot for Senate and VP in 1988. He won the Senate race.

I know you can run for both Senate and VP, but Senate and non-V P might be a different kettle of fish.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I know you can run for both Senate and VP, but Senate and non-V P might be a different kettle of fish.

Rand Paul's trying to argue that it's not.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Patrick Murphy has announced he's running against Rubio for the Florida Senate seat. Murphy's the one who defeated Allen West, narrowly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God the FL Dem bench is so empty.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

computer parts posted:

Rand Paul's trying to argue that it's not.

Depends on the state. Kentucky does not allow you to be on the ballot twice. Other states might be OK with it.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Rules were already changed to let LBJ do it in '60.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like we've got Alex Sink and a handful of ex-Republicans who weren't crazy enough to make the cut after the rise of the Tea Party. Can we just go back to a military governorship? It can't be worse than what we've been choosing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Buckhorn (Tampa's current mayor) made a run at something at the state level within a few years.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

StarMagician posted:

Rules were already changed to let LBJ do it in '60.

I think the KY rule switcheroo is just good for this cycle, no?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

mooyashi posted:

I think the KY rule switcheroo is just good for this cycle, no?

It varies state by state, I was referring specifically to Texas.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Looks like we've got Alex Sink and a handful of ex-Republicans who weren't crazy enough to make the cut after the rise of the Tea Party. Can we just go back to a military governorship? It can't be worse than what we've been choosing.

The only decently influential person in Central FL is Buddy Dyer, and he (wisely considering how lovely the state party is) isn't leaving his mayorship anything soon.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
:siren: Senator Dan Coats (R-IN) not running for re-election :siren:

Unfortunately, with the Dem bench what it is in Indiana, I can't see them picking something up here.

Look forward to Senator Marlin Stutzman! :confuoot:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Franco Potente posted:

Unfortunately, with the Dem bench what it is in Indiana, I can't see them picking something up here.

Oh God. Isn't Stutzman the loon who said "WE MUST GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE SHUTDOWN, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT" or something to that effect?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Oh God. Isn't Stutzman the loon who said "WE MUST GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE SHUTDOWN, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT" or something to that effect?

Yup. He also seems to alternate between attacking the leadership (voting against Boehner for Speaker in 2014) and craving desperately to be a part of it (running for Majority Whip after McCarthy's promotion), which seems to me to be an odd strategy.

I am somewhat joking about him being the shoo-in for Senator, though; I don't know if he's particularly well-liked in the state or outside his riding. I just know he's a pretty clear opportunist and will likely jump at this chance.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Den bench is basically pining for Bath to run, or wait till one if his sons is old enough.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

Knope (D) vs. Swanson (L)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Evan Bayh is still young enough to run for this seat and then run for president in 2020 :getin:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Evan Bayh is still young enough to run for this seat and then run for president in 2020 :getin:

The honest to god rumor of why Bayh is still sitting on his 6 million or so in his campaign account is he's waiting for one of his sons to hit 30.

Also I guess there's John Gregg, but he clearly wants to run for Governor again.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

De Nomolos posted:

Knope (D) vs. Swanson (L)

I know people who were surprised and offended when season 7 revealed that Leslie was a Democrat

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Former US Rep Baron Hill (D) and current US Rep Jackie Walroski (R) are both expressing interest in replacing Coats. But pretty much Indiana's entire Republican delegation is being rumored at this point. And also, since Coats' Chief of Staff (And former Indiana Republican Party chairman) Eric Holcomb recently left Coat's Senate office, it is being rumored he could run as well.

Hill had previously mentioned he'd be interested in running for Governor.

Zaleov
Dec 11, 2005

NAM OT NWONK AIXELSYD LABREV FO ESAC EREVES TSOM EHT EVAH UOY

PupsOfWar posted:

I know people who were surprised and offended when season 7 revealed that Leslie was a Democrat

How could that be a surprise? Her office is covered with mostly Democratic officials (because the Republicans have no women, but still), and she is in love with Diamond Joe.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jesus, I thought he was in his mid-70's for some reason.

Also his real first name is apparently "Birch".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zero_Grade posted:

Jesus, I thought he was in his mid-70's for some reason.

Also his real first name is apparently "Birch".

Birch was his father, a legendary politician who is now retired/dead.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cliff Racer posted:

Birch was his father, a legendary politician who is now retired/dead.

Is that like the Legendary Bloatfly?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nah, Birch Bayh was one of the most productive Senators of the 20th Century. Did you vote at age 18? Birch wrote the amendment that made that possible. Are you a fan of the Presidential line of succession? He wrote that one too. Wish the ERA had been ratified? He drafted it. Attended college as a woman? Birch pushed Title IX through. And a lot of other stuff.

His son Evan..... not so much.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Nah, Birch Bayh was one of the most productive Senators of the 20th Century. Did you vote at age 18? Birch wrote the amendment that made that possible. Are you a fan of the Presidential line of succession? He wrote that one too. Wish the ERA had been ratified? He drafted it. Attended college as a woman? Birch pushed Title IX through. And a lot of other stuff.

His son Evan..... not so much.

So are Birch and Evan Indianan analogues to Mario and Andrew, then? The son coasting on his father's name and goodwill to get into office?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zaleov posted:

How could that be a surprise? Her office is covered with mostly Democratic officials (because the Republicans have no women, but still), and she is in love with Diamond Joe.

leslie is Good and democrats are Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The single best contribution Evan Bayh made to public life was exposing Ezra Klein as an embarrassing shill when he retired.

Klein begging him to "stay in the Senate, Mr. Bayh" is my single favourite thing he's ever written. Maybe closely followed by his outraged piece when he realised, ten years after everybody else, that he's been taken in by an obvious huckster and that Bayh was and had always been a piece of poo poo.

Pinterest Mom has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread