Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

They updated Mazda Connect from version 28 to 30 but I thought the newest version as of a few months ago was 33? Either way I've only had an occasional temporary glitch with it and online research suggests my cellphone Bluetooth woes are the fault of my phone (Lumia 928) rather than the car.

Yea, the newest version is 33. I actually managed to update it myself pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah -- I assume it's because I live and work near their North America headquarters.

I don't think it was ugly, but I just didn't get the point of another size SUV that fits between a 3 hatch and the CX-5. But apparently the existing cars in that segment are selling well and competitors are bringing more to market, so Mazda wants in.

I also thought it was way too similar to the CX5 and M3H, and would have a hard time arguing that Mazda needs all three cars in its lineup.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

MetaJew posted:

I'm doing a home renovation and will be installing about 400 sq ft of tile. I've got a 1st gen MS3. Do any of y'all have an idea of, realistically how much weight I could safely load into the hatch? It's not a long drive from the hardware store to my house, but I don't want to risk damaging the car or risking injury if I overload it.

I've loaded about 400lbs of sand and gravel in the back and it fared fine for the ride home from Home Depot.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Petekill posted:

I've loaded about 400lbs of sand and gravel in the back and it fared fine for the ride home from Home Depot.

I wound up paying the $55 for delivery since it was going to be over 1,000 lbs, and I bought two toilets. So we couldn't fit it all in two hatchbacks without making multiple trips.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Some Guy From NY posted:

I own a 2014 CX5 and absolutely love it. I do 90% city driving, and while everyone's mpg will differ depending on driving style, I'll just say that this is the only vehicle I have ever got close/matched the estimated MPG for city/highway driving. Your results may vary!

I highly recommend at least a test drive for the CX5, in my opinion it is the best looking and best driving vehicle in its segment.

I also have a 2014 CX-5, and it seems to get around 24-26 MPG when my wife is driving. We test drove a lot of other options, just to make sure the CX-5 was what we wanted, and none of the others in it's segment even came close in driving feel. I do want to note that I'm a big Mazda fan (I have an MS6 and an RX-7), so I've got a bit of a bias.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like I'm the only person who drove the CX5 and the CR-V and decided that while the CX5 felt a little better to drive, it didn't feel $3k+ better. At least in 2013, if you wanted a backup camera, you had to jump up to the Touring trim and an automatic, both of which push that price a decent bit north of a CR-V LX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've seen a CX-3 on the road and I just don't get it.
I sat in a (preproduction) RHD model at the auto show last weekend. It actually seems really nice, the Mazda 3 inspiration with the chunky centre tach is welcome and the overall package seems easier to drive and park in a crowded urban environment/soccer-mom hell than the CX-5.

If you think of it as "a version of the Mazda5 that will actually sell to North Americans," it's going to hit it out of the park IMO. Probably sell better than Honda's damp squib of an HR-V release any second now.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
MazdaConnect software version 33 is the latest release, and it came out at least 5 months ago. If you use the latest version, it will no longer support WiFi or traffic. I only found this out recently, as there is no bulletin or service alert that mentions the lack of these functions. A customer was having Bluetooth issues (surprisingly common, thanks Johnson Controls), so we performed the CMU update, and this guy lost his poo poo over not being told about 2 minute delays to his drive to work (he even told us beforehand that he uses Waze because the Mazda traffic is swill). A phone call to Mazda's engineers revealed they were having trouble supporting the functionality, so they cut it from the latest version altogether. This guy wanted to trade in his 1,000 mile M3 over this.

On a related note, The 16 CX-5 doesn't use the same MazdaConnect software, despite being functionally identical. It's at version 50something, and there's no supplied files for flashing the CMU, yet.

Also please don't bring your iPhone issues to the dealership. Apple hates interfacing with everything, don't blame the techs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm actually really glad my car pre-dates all that crap - you're always better off just using a phone anyway

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've always been a fan of buying used cars with all the luxury trimmings after they're a few years old, but I'll probably have to stop that with the next car I buy. I don't think I could stand getting a car with an advanced entertainment package with a firmware that hasn't been updated in years.

It's bad enough with my 2008 Mazda 3. The GPS in that thing is practically useless. No touchscreen to enter locations, just a weird joystick on the console. And of course to update the maps you have to buy the update disc, or find some dude on a Mazda forum to sell you a pirated version. At least it's pretty elegant in how they made it hide away in the dash.

What's crazy is I'm pretty sure there were decent Garmin GPSs available in 2007 for like $200 with lifetime updates, so who were these people paying $1800 for a terrible GPS on their new car?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never needed any of that crap in any of my cars. The only complaint I have about my '06 and '07 Mazdas is the lack of MP3 playback on the stock radios. Come the gently caress on Mazda, that should've been cake. Especially since BOSE offered it in other car HUs they released those years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I've never needed any of that crap in any of my cars. The only complaint I have about my '06 and '07 Mazdas is the lack of MP3 playback on the stock radios. Come the gently caress on Mazda, that should've been cake. Especially since BOSE offered it in other car HUs they released those years.

BOSE really doesn't have anything to do with the manufacture of the radios. The Mazda radio system was designed in the late 90s and is called FMS. Anyway for an 06 3 the 6 disc changers will play MP3s and for earlier some of the single disc units will. I don't know how they outfitted the Miata but they use the same headunits beneath the facade so should be easy to add.

If you mean aux in that was added for 07 in the 3 and can be added to previous models with auxmod.

If you mean like iPod control or USB yeah you have to go aftermarket afaik at least 06 or before.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
My 08 Mazda3 has an Aux-In, but for my 05 Altima I had to install an auxmod box behind the HU.

edit: the hardest parts of the install were plugging the thing in because the clips were stiff, and picking a spot to route the aux cable to.

e: vvv I don't think my 08 3 GT plays MP3 CD's either. I'll check tomorrow if I remember. (I don't even remember if I've ever put CDs in that car)

trem fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 20, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

can be added to previous models with auxmod.
I keep telling myself that I'm going to do this but :effort:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

BOSE really doesn't have anything to do with the manufacture of the radios. The Mazda radio system was designed in the late 90s and is called FMS. Anyway for an 06 3 the 6 disc changers will play MP3s and for earlier some of the single disc units will. I don't know how they outfitted the Miata but they use the same headunits beneath the facade so should be easy to add.

If you mean aux in that was added for 07 in the 3 and can be added to previous models with auxmod.

If you mean like iPod control or USB yeah you have to go aftermarket afaik at least 06 or before.

My 2007 MS6 GT has a factory BOSE headunit with the 6 disc changer that does not support MP3 playback.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I forgot you have the 6, they probably were trying to get rid of the old radios, sorry haha

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Anyway for an 06 3 the 6 disc changers will play MP3s
Pretty sure my 2006 3 GT doesn't play MP3 CD either.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it the 6 disc changer?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Is it the 6 disc changer?
Grand Touring, so yes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They added MP3 playback on CD to the 3 in 08.5.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

They added MP3 playback on CD to the 3 in 08.5.

Don't know what to tell you guys.

I took those pictures 9 years ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Mazda was way late with the aux ins. I mean in 2008, who cared about MP3 CDs? I mean, it is nice, but by then even Subaru had aux ins and normally subaru is last on that type of stuff.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah even when they added it to the 3 in '07 you still sometimes had to buy some kind of adapter to get it to function 'cause it shared the button with the satellite radio or something. A lot of the function was kind of added to their modular radio system where they probably never imagined a lot of this stuff when it was first created.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

nm posted:

Mazda was way late with the aux ins. I mean in 2008, who cared about MP3 CDs? I mean, it is nice, but by then even Subaru had aux ins and normally subaru is last on that type of stuff.

What year did the Protege MP3 come out?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Yeah even when they added it to the 3 in '07 you still sometimes had to buy some kind of adapter to get it to function 'cause it shared the button with the satellite radio or something. A lot of the function was kind of added to their modular radio system where they probably never imagined a lot of this stuff when it was first created.

Shouldn't it just be the 'Media' button?

My pre-facelift 08 has the same stereo as posted above but with FM and AM separated out into different buttons (satellite radio was never a thing here) and an MP3 logo near the load button

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

dissss posted:

Shouldn't it just be the 'Media' button?

My pre-facelift 08 has the same stereo as posted above but with FM and AM separated out into different buttons (satellite radio was never a thing here) and an MP3 logo near the load button

What's with the buttons on the right side? Hands-free stuff that the US never got?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wa27 posted:

What's with the buttons on the right side? Hands-free stuff that the US never got?

They look kind of out of place TBH. If they're stock I'm kind of glad we never got them.

Or at least they should have been on the wheel.

Also, that display is way more detailed than mine. I don't get any HVAC stuff on mine :[

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Also, that display is way more detailed than mine. I don't get any HVAC stuff on mine :[
The HVAC info is there if you have the automatic system, because the knobs are digital so there's no physical indicator for what they're set to.

I went out and looked at my 08.5 just now. Interesting that they flip a lot of the controls for right/left-hand drivers.

Fun fact: there was actually a factory cassette option for the first gens:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There was actually a MiniDisc option, too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

It's an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the Aux port so yeah it will look out of place. Gotta have my Bluetooth though and this was a zero effort solution.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dissss posted:

It's an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the Aux port so yeah it will look out of place. Gotta have my Bluetooth though and this was a zero effort solution.

How is this powered? Usb?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

How is this powered? Usb?

It's powered off the cigarette lighter type power socket next to the aux input but yeah USB would work

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I went and drove a MS3 yesterday (first gen). How many of you are still rocking them? Any complaints/problems?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've only had mine for four months so far, and it is a very low mileage car so I can't really comment on reliability yet (it's been fine but that's what you'd expect)

The only thing that annoys me is it has a bunch of little stone chips on the roof which I'm 90% sure I did on the drive back from picking it up and they're starting to rust already - the paint really isn't that great on these.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, chips are driving me bananas. The "match" that Canadian Tire had wasn't that close and now I've got a car with annoying spots of off colour that I can't stop staring at. One day I'll have them looked at professionally. I've got a few super thin scratches that I want to get buffed out too. I should probably take it to a pro.

Though anything is better than rust cancer. I bought the paint match I could because winter was approaching and gently caress if I let salt touch bare metal on my 3 :supaburn:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good luck with that......

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Nodoze posted:

I went and drove a MS3 yesterday (first gen). How many of you are still rocking them? Any complaints/problems?

I haven't had any issues since I bought mine new (2008.5) other than the typical tires wearing unevenly and motor mounts. I have no mods on my car for comparison.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Good luck with that......

Two winters and still rust-free, knock on wood :tinfoil:

Plus the place I'm moving into is indoor underground parking so less time in the elements. Buying my baby some precious time before the inevitable :ohdear:

The day I got her I did a detailed walk-around did went to town with rust converter on anything that looked even remotely rusty or bare and immediately painted it. The tail lights were extra bad because they've got this little plastic nub that's there to separate the plastic frame from the body but all it does is rub a small hole into the paint. I was wondering why ever 3 I've seen has that spot of rust by the tail lights and now I know. I'm pretty much ultra paranoid and will whip out the rust converter and paint at any sign of a paint chip. Hopefully it's not all for nought.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Earlier this evening I hit a small pot hole city driving in my '13 MS3 and my BSM light flashed till I hit another one. Pressing the button while it was flashing didn't do anything. Previously I've had all my electronics momentarily (less than a second) go out freeway driving but the dealership didn't find anything. Am I just cursed?