Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Really all you have to do is look at Kingdom Hearts, in the time it's taken since 2 ended and 3 was announced, we got somewhere around 4-5 spin-offs, Days, BBS, 3D, Re:Coded and I feel like I'm forgetting one. You may say "Well Re:Coded and Days are poo poo" and you wouldn't be wrong (from my perspective) but that's still 4 games and I'm sure they made quite a bit of dosh on those 4 games. And they probably cost nowhere near as much as KH3 is going to cost.

If KH3 can't justify its pricepoint in the sales department, and going before that. if the long awaited been in development since 2011 was announced in 2006 XV can't pull in the sales... Then what makes business sense? sinking millions into properties that, can do well but don't justify the investment? or making 4 titles with lower graphics, quicker dev cycles and still making dosh?

If KH3 can't justify keeping it on a console, then KH will become a handheld game, and hey, in time, they might release Console 'Remastered' versions of games. But that will cease to be their primary platform. Final Fantasy XV cannot do 'Okay' it needs to do well, it needs to push hardware, it needs to justify its existence. Because it's the same thing for Sony/Nintendo, you know? If XV does well, it justifies them lending a hand to get more games on the platform. If it doesn't, then it's just another thing.

And this isn't to say console gaming wont exist, it'll just become more niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
All of that is true except for the part where a theoretical Dragon Quest XI for home consoles would outsell XV in a heartbeat. If Dragon Quest fails to get the masses in board, then we panic.

E: In Japan, anyway. Globally XV will be a bigger deal, and outside of Japan consoles are much more successful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They announced some months back that Dragon Quest XI would be for a console. They didn't say which one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Confirmed for Atari then
:smuggo:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got a few Type-0 questions. Is it worth sticking on Secret Training whenever I'm done playing for the day, or is it more of a leave for a few days thing? I like that you can still do missions from the title screen when it's on. Second, does the Moogle you give Knowing Tags to ever give you anything worthwhile? I gave him five at once and just got a potion, but it seems easy enough to just replay the first mission a bunch and grab a lot if the reward is worth it.

Also are the Eidolons in Type-0 supposed to be amazing wreck everything without breaking a sweat but you tank your rank sort of thing or did I just accidentally grind too much? Ifrit took the Chapter 2 boss apart in about 30 seconds.

Thanks for the XIV tips. Will probably not be trying out the free trial soon, remembered that that Bloodborne thing comes out at the end of the week and I'll probably be playing that a lot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

They announced some months back that Dragon Quest XI would be for a console. They didn't say which one.

I think it'll be PS4, considering the huge deal they made when they announced Dragon Quest Heroes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I think it'll be PS4, considering the huge deal they made when they announced Dragon Quest Heroes.

I've just always figured it would be the PS4. Dragon Quest is a Nintendo/Sony console game not Microsoft.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For how important summons usually are to FF games, it's pretty hilarious how they'll just throw them at you in 7.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Speaking of summons I realized they haven't been good since X. I guess summoning a controllable ally is a lot more difficult to balance than SE expects.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well, I finished Type-0. Spoilers, obviously.

Despite figuring out basically what they were going for in terms of the last chapter I still hold to the fact that the plot takes a nosedive at the very end. It's like they lost a chapter out of the script and just kept going, leaving everything a little unsettled and the justifications for what's going on mostly nonexistant.

But lets not talk about the plot. Lets talk about the gameplay, which is the one truly bright spot in the game, the very best part of the whole package, the excellent combat system. And it is excellent, and I had a lot of fun with it especially when it was challenging me.

Which is why the entirety of the last dungeon and most especially the last boss is such a loving letdown. Sure, lets randomly decide to remove autohealing from your characters (putting aside the justification for why, when frankly it could have been dropped or rewritten to account for the healing without any problems) but then compensate for that by making every enemy level 20, so all the fights are a snoozefest. Then lets add in a bunch of arbitrary SO style restrictions, which don't even matter because the enemies are so weak.

Then, then, lets get all the way to the last boss and make it so you can't die. He can't even really hurt you. You can't fight him normally and instead just hit a breaksight 20ish times, with the timing gets progressively easier the more times you hit him. Yeah, lets take our action RPG where the action and fighting is the singular best part, design and model this really impressive looking opponent for the climax of the game, and then make the fight with it a glorified cutscene.

Cutscene boss.

The final boss of Final Fantasy Type-0 is a cutscene boss. Type-0 ends like FFX would end if they just straight up took Jecht out and left you with Yu Yevon. That is such an aggressively terrible idea I can hardly believe that's what I played, but there you go.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Well, I finished Type-0. Spoilers, obviously.

That boss was the breaking point for me. Well really the entire final dungeon. I returned the game shortly after.

I still like the world/story and everything, but unlike you, I wasn't very enamored of the gameplay.

The characters were great, lots of variety, lots of moves - but they were pointless because combat always boiled down to 'dodge until killsight, hit, repeat, win'.

Game also had a badass airship.

So yeah, I was somewhat interested in seeing the story fleshed out in run 2, but I'll just read more about it online at some point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

Final Symphony II will see the London Symphony Orchestra perform music from Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX on 12th September at the Barbican Centre in London, UK. The concert will also feature music from Final Fantasy XIII, arranged by original composer Masashi Hamauzu.

Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu will attend, and will take part in a ticketed, pre-concert talk to discuss his career and answer questions. Tickets go on Friday 20th March, from 10am local time, for £30 - £65. Tickets for Uematsu's pre-concert talk cost £10 each. Tickets can be booked at the official concert site.

In case people were in the UK around that time and wanted something to do. Tickets would be selling fast so if you want to go plan soon.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like Final Fantasy Record Keeper is going to get released in the next few days. They are doing a puzzle game daily, and the final piece is tomorrow. The answer is pretty easy to figure out. I imagine there will be a release after all this recent fanfare.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

McDragon posted:

Got a few Type-0 questions. Is it worth sticking on Secret Training whenever I'm done playing for the day, or is it more of a leave for a few days thing? I like that you can still do missions from the title screen when it's on. Second, does the Moogle you give Knowing Tags to ever give you anything worthwhile? I gave him five at once and just got a potion, but it seems easy enough to just replay the first mission a bunch and grab a lot if the reward is worth it.

Also are the Eidolons in Type-0 supposed to be amazing wreck everything without breaking a sweat but you tank your rank sort of thing or did I just accidentally grind too much? Ifrit took the Chapter 2 boss apart in about 30 seconds.

Thanks for the XIV tips. Will probably not be trying out the free trial soon, remembered that that Bloodborne thing comes out at the end of the week and I'll probably be playing that a lot.

There's a cap on how much secret training you can do per session, you only gain EXP for the first day or so.

No idea what you get for tags besides potions.

Eidolons are powerful, but summoning sacrifices your party leader and you don't get any loot/phantoma from their kills.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you cast re-raise or have a re-raise effect when you summon, you don't lose that character.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ringabel...had a hard life.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

McDragon posted:

So this is what I found for the Knowing Tags (based on the translation of the PSP original, I believe):

Here is what you obtain by exchanging a number of Knowing Tag to the moogle at the entrance :
60 1~9 Potion
61 10~19 Mega-Potion
62 20~39 X-Potion
63 40~59 Triangle Hat
64 60~70 Last Elixir
65 71~79 Suzaku's Army Cap
66 80~98 Phoenix Down
67 99 Phoenix Pinion

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

He did indeed. There's a reason he's a fan favorite other than being lech-y space case.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So how bad is the FFX Chocobo Racing compared to the butterfly hunt and the lightning dodging?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So how bad is the FFX Chocobo Racing compared to the butterfly hunt and the lightning dodging?
Poetic version, it's like shoving a hot fireplace poker in your rear end in a top hat and trying to navigate it through your intestines out of your own mouth.

Specific version, it's a minigame that pairs muscle memory with luck, RNG, and an AI that actually cheats. Your goal is to get your total racing time under 0.0 seconds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Chocobo Racing is alright, it's RNG but it's relatively short and you just retry in one spot. The Lightning and Butterly are probably the worst mini-games to get the celestial weapons.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's pretty mind numbing but I personally think it's less trying than lightning dodging since instead of 2-3 hours of constant focus, it's like... an hour or two of short bursts of concentration followed by rage. If I had to pick one celestial to get between those three, it'd be Chocobo every time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Different people will hate different ones among the three hellish minigames most. Far and away I hate the Chocobos more than anything, while lightning dodging and butterflies weren't that bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Different people will hate different ones among the three hellish minigames most. Far and away I hate the Chocobos more than anything, while lightning dodging and butterflies weren't that bad.

Yeah, I'm weirdly of the same mind. Lightning and butterflies were like, whatev', butterflies is pretty precise but very predictable and lightning is just practicing your zen-like focus, but it took me the better part of a week as a teenager to crack chocobo racing. I've done it two times since in under ten tries each, but jumping that first hurdle is infuriating.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gologle posted:

When do I learn about this? I just beat the salve maker and rescued some children from the mythril mine.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I'm weirdly of the same mind. Lightning and butterflies were like, whatev', butterflies is pretty precise but very predictable and lightning is just practicing your zen-like focus, but it took me the better part of a week as a teenager to crack chocobo racing. I've done it two times since in under ten tries each, but jumping that first hurdle is infuriating.

That's my problem, I can't maintain that level of focus for long periods of time, I couldn't do the super jump bit in Super Mario RPG or the jump rope in FFIX either. To be honest I never even attempted the butterflies because... well Kimahri just falls off my radar pretty hard shortly after you get him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ragequit posted:

Seems like Final Fantasy Record Keeper is going to get released in the next few days. They are doing a puzzle game daily, and the final piece is tomorrow. The answer is pretty easy to figure out. I imagine there will be a release after all this recent fanfare.

It's already out if you live in Canada.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

RC Cola posted:

When do I learn about this? I just beat the salve maker and rescued some children from the mythril mine.

Around Crystal no. 4.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you're better at twitch gaming and have played bad racers, Chocobo is cake. There is luck involved (if you don't get balloons on your side in the first stretch you're screwed) but everytime I do it, it only takes 4-5 tries. Butterflies suck but with a few profanity-filled attempts, they're not terrible.

Lightning dodging is a Thing. All the mini games blow but this one is the most poorly thought out and laziest. In order to do it, I put on white noise to calm me and an hour timer and just focussed without counting. There were some fantasies of repeatedly kicking Nomura and Toriyama in the face even though I'm sure neither of them created that mini game. I just needed something to focus on and that felt good. I ached for Triple Triad and the FF7 MOBA and snowboarding and just focussed that heart ache into not getting hit by lightning.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah the butterflies were irritating and I hated them but it didn't take me too long, a map (sort of) helped and it really boils down to memorization of where the butterflies are more than anything else. The lightning bolts again I don't have a problem with because they're easily cheesed with that one trick and that makes it more tedious than difficult. The chocobo race can gently caress the hell off because it's massive amounts of luck and bullshit and is hands down the worst to me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Speaking of summons I realized they haven't been good since X. I guess summoning a controllable ally is a lot more difficult to balance than SE expects.

Funny enough, in X summons by the endgame were basically just used exactly like they were in previous games. Have its overdrive gauge full (or Yuna's), summon it, and use its overdrive then watch as the boss (probably) uses an instant kill attack on it, thus basically reducing it to a pretty animation and some damage like in the previous games.

In the end though that was the problem, most bosses had instant kill attacks they would only use against an aeon, making them practically worthless for bosses aside from overdrives. Of course Square could have taken that part out, but then there'd be the problem that this probably would make summons too powerful and then there's no challenge.

I remember summons being okay in XII but I hardly ever used them because it would use up so much MP, especially for the higher level ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Late game Party Chat, Ringabel's Invitation:
:) "Edea, how about we get some dinner tonight, just the two of us?"
:eek: "Just the two of us?"
:) "I've already made a reservation at the Tri-Flower, the restaurant at the very top of the Central Flor Hotel." :D "They serve a full-course Florem dinner! Isn't that your favorite, Edea?" :) "We can enjoy the night view while we eat!"
:geno: "I think.... I think I'll pass!"
:( "Listen, Edea, I want you to know something. I don't go around asking out just anyone like this anymore."
:( "I know, Ringabel. And I don't go around rejecting just anyone, either."

:negative:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember summons being okay in XII but I hardly ever used them because it would use up so much MP, especially for the higher level ones.

Yet another aspect fixed by the IZJS version- not only do they not consume your MP (Quickenings and Summons have their own separate gauge), but they are manually controllable.

....unfortunately they're still not very useful outside of a few niche circumstances. A full team of characters will almost always outdamage a summon, and be more versatile at the same time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Catching butterflies was the worst for me because I couldn't beat it even with save states like I could the other two.

When I get back to my current playthrough I'm just gonna cheat to get those weapons when I hit the end game because gently caress that poo poo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ApplesandOranges posted:

In case people were in the UK around that time and wanted something to do. Tickets would be selling fast so if you want to go plan soon.

The first Final Symphony was really enjoyable when they visited Finland least, they covered VI, VII and X that time.

A live symphonic orchestra playing Cosmo Canyon's theme was pretty much the greatest thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

what

GOTY.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If Ringabel turns out to be the final boss of Bravely Second I wouldn't be surprised, but it would also be even more sad.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

All of these minigames were annoying, but the one that broke me was blitzball. It wasn't hard at all, but it takes 10 minutes per game, and its boring. Even gaming the system, that's still about 5 hours of playing a boring game. Doing it legit (without lots of reset data/reloading) its probably more like 8 or 9 hours minimum.

Even though its annoying, lightning dodging only took me about 1.5 hours max to get right. Chocobo was probably an hour. Butterfly catching 30 minutes, if that. Blitzball made me realize that i didnt want Wakka's weapon that badly anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Myssu posted:

All of these minigames were annoying, but the one that broke me was blitzball. It wasn't hard at all, but it takes 10 minutes per game, and its boring. Even gaming the system, that's still about 5 hours of playing a boring game. Doing it legit (without lots of reset data/reloading) its probably more like 8 or 9 hours minimum.

Even though its annoying, lightning dodging only took me about 1.5 hours max to get right. Chocobo was probably an hour. Butterfly catching 30 minutes, if that. Blitzball made me realize that i didnt want Wakka's weapon that badly anyway.

Really? Blitzball was super simple to me, Chocobo took an entire hour that literally lead to "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the beat time reward popped up followed by "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!" when the sigil popped up just afterwards. Since you know, if you got 00.00 on the dot you merely beat the time not got the sigil, you need to get LESS than 00.00

Butterflies I couldn't grasp nor could I grasp Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Luckily even if you're going for the platinum trophy you can skip the butterfly minigame because no one uses Kimahri and with all the arena stuff you'd be doing you can just make him a decent weapon with break damage limit etc