Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

suddenlyissoon posted:

Can anything be done about lane merging? I thought I was having a big traffic issue but it turned out it was just cars literally stopping to allow others to merge in front of them on the highway. This happens with exit ramps & highway merge ramps both short & long. Doesn't seem to matter what I do.
If your highway isn't otherwise overloaded, the biggest issue I've found is the traffic behavior loathes weaving. Make sure there aren't any off ramps immediately following on ramps. Even if its not a busy off ramp, the oncoming traffic is absolutely obsessed with merging some number of feet before the off ramp. God forbid if the exits receiving any traffic at all and you end up with both lanes of your highway being worthless

More routes somewhere always fixing something even if it might be ugly or just transfer problems elsewhere.

e. Or if its an onramp/offramp density issue on the side of overplacement and the ramps themselves aren't overburdened you could look at consolidating some entrances and exits in a local service arrangement to keep the highway as an express service. So like string together a few of the local services into only one connecting intersection to the actual expressway by merging ramps together first.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Glad you're enjoying it! What about the transit in particular wasnt working for you, or was it just for your own needs you wanted more control over the highways?

Not sure if this was answered before, but I'm loading your map now and the central square has no highway connections at all. It's over in the square to the left which I can't afford when starting out. Looks pretty sweet other than that.

edited example:

beerinator fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 25, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Gibbo posted:

Same, I got a 4690k thinking "Pffft I don't need those threads" and then promptly got in to a couple things that could benefit from said threads....

Here's hoping I can offload it on a friend.
Well, the good news for me is that I'm in the middle of researching a build.

Usually an i5-whatever is sufficient for gaming but in this case...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Midgar!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Alright I built a reasonably sized new section of city where it's all high-density residential/commercial, but now nearly all of my industry buildings are abandoned due to not having enough workers. I didn't build any offices yet, anyone have an idea why this happened?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Odobenidae posted:

Alright I built a reasonably sized new section of city where it's all high-density residential/commercial, but now nearly all of my industry buildings are abandoned due to not having enough workers. I didn't build any offices yet, anyone have an idea why this happened?
Might have been the commercial? C and I demands seem really badly done because they dont strongly link with unemployment/worker availability.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Odobenidae posted:

Can your people actually make it there in a reasonable amount of time? I'm not 100% sure if that actually matters but I feel like better public transportation, and traffic flow in general, helps with employment.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Suggest cool maps. My last was really flat. I want something with land, but interest. Not flat. Go!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Can your people actually make it there in a reasonable amount of time? I'm not 100% sure if that actually matters but I feel like better public transportation, and traffic flow in general, helps with employment.

Ditto. I've had issues where I was building new residential, but on the far side of my city the industrial zones I'd built weren't doing anything.

Then I did some public transit infrastructure work, added a few passenger rail stations and lines and poof, suddenly my industrial zones started working.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

beerinator posted:

Suggest cool maps. My last was really flat. I want something with land, but interest. Not flat. Go!

There are some pretty decent maps in the OP. They might not all be what you're looking for, though.

The map I'm playing on at the moment is also extremely hilly and fairly difficult.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413060839

I think this shot is probably better than the ones on the steam page for showing how rough the terrain really is.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

City is ~10k and not very big yet, and I've managed to eliminate any traffic jams by connecting the highway on the left.

Industrial area is just north-west of the cloverleaf. Over half of them are abandoned and the rest are 1/2 to 3/4 full.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

After showing this to my uninitiated friends, they believe this is what happens when you legalize weed.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My city is getting to a size where I'm more and more likely to crash on attempting to save. Hopefully they get a patch out for that one soon, as I'm going to have to put this game down until they do.

I'm pretty sure what happens is that saving causes a spike in memory usage, exhausting what I have on my PC, and causing it to crash.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Has anyone else had all their road arrows disappear? I just realized all mine are missing when I finished making my first diverging diamond interchange. :psyduck:

[edit] Turns out the Zoneable pedestrian path mod was causing it. Unsubscribed from it and reverified my local files and I got my road arrows back. Good thing I wasn't really using the mod yet anyways. :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 25, 2015

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
I demolished a hydro-electric dam. It did not turn out well.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Glad you're enjoying it! What about the transit in particular wasnt working for you, or was it just for your own needs you wanted more control over the highways?

It wasn't a big deal, I just thought the initial straight bridge thing looked a bit jarring aesthetically so I replaced it with something more organic looking, and connected a few more edges to the highways while I was at it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I spent today working more on my Springfield, Massachusetts save. Firstly, interchange work!

Added US 5 down to Longmeadow (down there at the bottom) and inbetween that and the South End Bridge I added the ramps for MA 83. This will all be future expensive Forest Park residences and Forest Park itself. But we're not there yet.

The I-91/I-291 interchange is basically complete, now with all the local movements (Birnie Ave, Dwight Street, Chestnut Street, Main Street, North End Bridge). I've laid down some of the road network north of here but mostly as a preliminary step.

A view of the town so far. This part of Springfield is fairly griddy in real life. Once we move out of downtown things will get a little more interesting, especially once we cross the river to West Springfield. But it'll be a solid base to grow into higher density residential and commercial.

A view from 91 looking downtown. This won't look quite right until we get high density commercial rolling since there should be some tall buildings right here, but we'll get there.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Which Springfield are you doing? If Springfield IL, cool, I live near there! If any of the other 35000 Springfields in the US that's cool too I guess. (map looks good so far)

edit: Oh, spotted the MA, nevermind

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

beerinator posted:

Not sure if this was answered before, but I'm loading your map now and the central square has no highway connections at all. It's over in the square to the left which I can't afford when starting out. Looks pretty sweet other than that.

edited example:

Whoops! Guess that's something to fix when I get back.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Y'know how I said I wasn't going to make any more lookup tables? Well I made three.

All of the ones before this have been dramatic changes which look good in screenshots, but actually playing the game with them can be a little straining. These are made specifically for playing the game. I made one LUT for each map type that goes as neutral as possible, with smooth lighting so highlights don't get blown out and shadows aren't too dark. Basically, they're soft white light (and not surprisingly, to make each map look similar the actual LUTs are wildly different).

Temperate

Boreal

Tropical

Is anybody interested in this? The larger section of each shot is the part I changed.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f44KhuooH-M

:woop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still looks pretty drat weird tho.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Chewbot posted:

Y'know how I said I wasn't going to make any more lookup tables? Well I made three.

Temperate

Boreal

Tropical

Is anybody interested in this? The larger section of each shot is the part I changed.

Very much so. I was playing with the Boreal lookup table earlier today and it was really nice. What caused you to throw these three together?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chewbot posted:

Temperate

It looks like you've made the city whiter... when really, my issue with the game's graphics right now is that often cities are an undifferentiated mess of pale white.

This'd be awesome if transitions were smoother. Also... I wonder if the thing from the asset editor where the shadows rotate is viable to use in-game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 25, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

It looks like you've made the city whiter... when really, my issue with the game's graphics right now is that often cities are an undifferentiated mess of pale white.

That's a problem with the art assets more than the color correction, though.

The default LUTs are all eye-rapingly oversaturated.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I would love a mod that just scales down the size of cars and roads a tiny bit. like maybe 70-80% regular size. Just a tad to look a bit less ridiculous. I hate how much space roads and interchanges take up, it feels too much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I finally got this city to a large enough population to unlock all 25 tiles, so hopefully I can start fixing some traffic problems. It's really hard to take a nice screenshot of the whole thing with how hilly the map is. Overall I'd say I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, even though it's a little more rugged than I'd like.

This is actually pretty old, here's his most recent video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49W122uxZ8

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Phew, I think I'm done for a while.

All I've been doing recently is ride my trains around the city. I'll take a break and come back in a few days to finish the freeway system.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

kefkafloyd posted:

So I spent today working more on my Springfield, Massachusetts save. Firstly, interchange work!

Added US 5 down to Longmeadow (down there at the bottom) and inbetween that and the South End Bridge I added the ramps for MA 83. This will all be future expensive Forest Park residences and Forest Park itself. But we're not there yet.

The I-91/I-291 interchange is basically complete, now with all the local movements (Birnie Ave, Dwight Street, Chestnut Street, Main Street, North End Bridge). I've laid down some of the road network north of here but mostly as a preliminary step.

A view of the town so far. This part of Springfield is fairly griddy in real life. Once we move out of downtown things will get a little more interesting, especially once we cross the river to West Springfield. But it'll be a solid base to grow into higher density residential and commercial.

A view from 91 looking downtown. This won't look quite right until we get high density commercial rolling since there should be some tall buildings right here, but we'll get there.

Gonna start work on Framingham tomorrow/later today. Might need to do some artistic license with regards to Rt 9 though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chewbot posted:

All of the ones before this have been dramatic changes which look good in screenshots, but actually playing the game with them can be a little straining. These are made specifically for playing the game. I made one LUT for each map type that goes as neutral as possible, with smooth lighting so highlights don't get blown out and shadows aren't too dark. Basically, they're soft white light (and not surprisingly, to make each map look similar the actual LUTs are wildly different).

Temperate

Boreal

Tropical

I would definitely like these.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
A cool rural police station for those with a rural / mountain town

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413203776&searchtext=

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there a reason why there are no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars? I want them to change and there are no mods available.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to be able to upgrade to double-decker buses and bendy buses and double decker trains.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
What makes that dull beep-beep-beep-beep-beepbeepbeepbeep-beep noise you hear everyfuckingwhere at the closest zoom and how do I kill it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Buildings leveling up. Stop it by building lovely areas that don't level up. :v:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
I thought buildings leveling up was the ka-ching noise?

Koobze posted:

I would love a mod that just scales down the size of cars and roads a tiny bit. like maybe 70-80% regular size. Just a tad to look a bit less ridiculous. I hate how much space roads and interchanges take up, it feels too much.

If I quote this maybe there's more chance of this happening. You get used to it playing the game but any time you gotta look something up on google maps (or bing if you're that kinda guy, I ain't discriminatin') and come back the game looks weird.

edit:

Chewbot posted:

The answer is always yes.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 25, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

The Deadly Hume posted:

What makes that dull beep-beep-beep-beep-beepbeepbeepbeep-beep noise you hear everyfuckingwhere at the closest zoom and how do I kill it.

I had this in my commercial / high level residential areas, it is annoying as it sounds. It's not the level up ding, it's like a low level beeping 'hum' (like sci-fi computers on a 70s spaceship)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kinnas posted:

If I quote this maybe there's more chance of this happening. You get used to it playing the game but any time you gotta look something up on google maps (or bing if you're that kinda guy, I ain't discriminatin') and come back the game looks weird.

It could be done by widening the pavement and adding nature strips/parkways to every road and having the upgraded versions with larger parkways, thus thinning the actual street. You could thicken the median strip on four-lanes, too. And highways could have service strips along the side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 25, 2015

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Guys, a high-end i5 is more than adequate for this game. If you are really thinking of replacing a perfectly functional 4690k either
A: Overclock that. Current i5 have absurd potential with 4+ GHz the norm.
B: Wire me 1000$ instead. I take checks too for those weird people in America. I swear on my AMD CPU that I will make better use of that money then you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

8 GB RAM, i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2ish and a GTX 570, comfortable 60 FPS with graphics at max until about 50,000 pop, then things do start to slow down a bit but not unbearably, turning graphics down at that point seems to help a fair amount.

No temperature issues either.