Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Drighton posted:

:bang: I cannot get it through they're heads. Buying or building some crazy solution is not going to suddenly fix your problem if you're the problem.

Ha, this is practically me but with customer contract renewals; Twice I've started work to build an automated reminder system and had to stop half way because the managers wanted to do things by paper/spreadsheet instead.

Now today they want Sales to do all their appointment/meeting booking through Salesforce rather than Outlook, I did some more putzing around and still in the same situation that Outlook is leagues better for this kind of thing especially since we already have the proper infrastructure for it, AND it even syncs the data back to SF anyway!

At least I got to play with a projector for a little while, it's always the best to be the guy who brings in all the new tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

I was cleaning out some folders today and I stumbled upon some pictures of mine and other pictures supplied by this thread. For the people that haven't seen them, you are welcome. For everyone else, I hope you enjoy the trip back down memory lane.

Nothing will beat the stream of bubbles from that underwater server. It's the perfect touch.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The sewage server is a metaphor for our careers, knee deep in poo water but still gargling our way through with the potential to kill anyone nearby.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

I was cleaning out some folders today and I stumbled upon some pictures of mine and other pictures supplied by this thread. For the people that haven't seen them, you are welcome. For everyone else, I hope you enjoy the trip back down memory lane.

Well I successfully convinced one of my coworkers that the toilet one was one of our remote sites, and then the toner explosion one had me giggling because it looked like the technician exploded in frustration. Good pics

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dick Trauma posted:

Nothing will beat the stream of bubbles from that underwater server. It's the perfect touch.

It really is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NeuralSpark posted:

I have a co-worker that has 4x SD streams from his house open on his workstation most of the time but he's a normal guy otherwise. I don't know how long he's had the system, but I wonder if the novelty of it hasn't worn off yet?

People like that, you get the feeling that after they put all the time and money into setting up the system he can't just bring himself to admit it's a waste of time. So of course he needs to make sure everyone sees he's totally using it, you guys.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

When that image was (first?) posted here a couple years ago, someone remarked that it made them think of the computer puttering around in the water like a little boat. That mental image makes me :3: every time now.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

guppy posted:

Today I realize my resume had an extra word in it. Literally in the line about how great my written communication skills are. :( They really are, I swear. Just not there.

It's OK, guppy. When I was unemployed, I once after 2 months of no replies that I was sending out a .DOC file that was corrupt and would fail to open in word but was fine in Open Office. Someone was kind enough to actually let me know. :(

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sickening posted:

Ahh I always loved the flooded one with the fan still going like the whole rack is trying to sail away :p

I can actually sort of sympathise with the employees involved in creating the no-rack switch patch mess, having had two "perpetual financial dire straits" companies under my belt now - they do not want to spend A. loving. Penny. that is not absolutely critical to get the job done (even though investing in efficiency and tidiness etc would probably do them better), that right now would probably include racks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spazz posted:

It's OK, guppy. When I was unemployed, I once after 2 months of no replies that I was sending out a .DOC file that was corrupt and would fail to open in word but was fine in Open Office. Someone was kind enough to actually let me know. :(

I had someone apply for a job with pdf that was rendered as an image at about 15dpi and utterly unreadable.

I send them a polite message and they resent it: at about 25dpi.

Third time, it managed to get to 75dpi and so be vaguely legible.

They got the job.

as a graphic designer

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

GargleBlaster posted:

Ahh I always loved the flooded one with the fan still going like the whole rack is trying to sail away :p

I can actually sort of sympathise with the employees involved in creating the no-rack switch patch mess, having had two "perpetual financial dire straits" companies under my belt now - they do not want to spend A. loving. Penny. that is not absolutely critical to get the job done (even though investing in efficiency and tidiness etc would probably do them better), that right now would probably include racks.

If I remember right, the one with the switches suspended from the ceiling by string was because the equipment was previously on a table that had to be taken away for some reason (I think they had to redo the floor?). And the guys in that workplace (I think car mechanics?) didn't want to gently caress with the expensive looking boxes they didn't understand, so they just hoisted everything in place, not disturbing a single cable.

It's almost genius.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Yes!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It always makes me think of this:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

When that image was (first?) posted here a couple years ago, someone remarked that it made them think of the computer puttering around in the water like a little boat. That mental image makes me :3: every time now.

Was it me?

sfwarlock posted:

Aww! It's the little fan that could! It thinks it's an outboard motor!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sfwarlock posted:

Was it me?

I'm almost certain that the original posting of that picture and subsequent nautical observation was at least a year earlier than your post. But it doesn't surprise me that more than one person had that thought. It's such a striking picture.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

NZAmoeba posted:

If I remember right, the one with the switches suspended from the ceiling by string was because the equipment was previously on a table that had to be taken away for some reason (I think they had to redo the floor?). And the guys in that workplace (I think car mechanics?) didn't want to gently caress with the expensive looking boxes they didn't understand, so they just hoisted everything in place, not disturbing a single cable.

It's almost genius.

If it's stupid and it works... It ain't stupid?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wibla posted:

If it's stupid and it works... It ain't stupid?

Just because something works doesn't mean it isn't stupid. It's like printing an email, annotating it and then faxing the annotated reply back - yes, it works, it's still dumb.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

In that picture there are empty racks in the background though, which makes me think that unholy mess is just a lab setup.

Please be a lab setup. :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Collateral Damage posted:

In that picture there are empty racks in the background though, which makes me think that unholy mess is just a lab setup.

Please be a lab setup. :ohdear:

I took that picture and no, it was not a lab setup. It started out as a lab but then for some emergency someone put production on it and then it grew into the mess you saw just then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

It started out as a lab but then for some emergency someone put production on it and then it grew into the mess you saw just then.
"A temporary solution never is."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Old AS/400 guy did something with the iSeries last night. Bunch of tickets this morning with people having slow logins, 'Internet not working', that sort of thing. I never logged out so everything appeared fine, until I noticed I had 2 DNS servers that were public, Verizon 63.98.26.67 and something on the same subnet.

Because of the Verizon IP I assumed someone plugged a MyFi or something in somewhere, but we couldn't find one. Started a tool to look for rogue DHCP servers, and found one with some Serbian IP (109.something, /24 network mask). That's weird.

30 minutes in I asked the old guy, "Do you have DHCP running on the iSeries for some reason?"
"Well, it should be."
"No, it shouldn't. It better not. Can you check?"
"Well it needs it for the connection..." then he stumbled into his office

He never comes out with an answer, so 15 minutes later I fire up iNavigator, and sure enough there's a DHCP server running and a scope that matches the one our LAN uses, and the DNS servers are those 63.whatever IP addresses are. Mother fucker.

I stopped and disabled the server and deleted that scope. :argh:

So incompetent that he doesn't know what he's doing and so incompetent that he can't even check something I ask.

He told our receptionist to 'go have a heart attack' yesterday so I was hoping they would have fired him then.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How insane do you have to be to have a need to monitor your household security cams while at work?

I've got a coworker that has a laptop and a screen specifically for monitoring his house.

I've threatened to take a couple coworkers down there during work, and dress like ninjas and TP his house or something.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My contract isn't going to be renewed before I lose access to the building, so I get an extra vacation next week!

This is the best.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

He told our receptionist to 'go have a heart attack' yesterday so I was hoping they would have fired him then.

I don't understand how you can talk to a coworker like this. Even if you hate their guts and they're the dumbest person alive. Maybe I'm just old fashioned

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Besides, reception, kitchen/representation and facilities are the functions in any office you should make sure to befriend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Apps that don't support app publishing in terminal services can go to hell.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I've been tasked to upgrade our MediaWiki from 2006. Kill me now.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Seriously, get in good with reception and secretaries, and that's a good quarter of your battle right there. Need the CEO to sign something? Don't go directly to him/her, ask the admin assistant to get it signed. That poo poo gets done.

Likewise, front desk/reception can bump you up to the head of the line for letting you know when UPS/FedEx get in, or if someone's ordered too much catering.

Those same people will be the best for office gossip, so you'll get first heads-up when someone is leaving (voluntarily or not), or when someone is having tech problems but hasn't brought it up to you/your department. If they're upper-level (or have the ear of someone who is), showing up unexpectedly for fifteen minutes can save you a world of trouble down the line.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

myron cope posted:

I don't understand how you can talk to a coworker like this. Even if you hate their guts and they're the dumbest person alive. Maybe I'm just old fashioned

I'm honestly surprised they didn't fire him on the spot for it. I think it's only because he's been here 20 years that they didn't.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey peen there were some duplicates in the last external newsletter we sent out
Really? That seems unlikely since mailchimp automatically dedupes on import
Well it just finds duplicate email addresses, but people were getting the same newsletter on multiple of their email addresses! (e.g. work email, and personal, etc)
Oh, well there's not much we can do about that. If they don't want to get the newsletter on one account or the other they can unsub at the bottom
That's not acceptable, most of these people never subscribed, we just added them when we got their info, so if we get reported too much we might get blocked by mailchimp!
So what do you want me to do about that?
You need to manually dedupe the mailchimp list.

I need to manually de dupe a spreadsheet with 30,000 entries? And the email addresses won't even be the same, they just might be kinda similar? How do I know if bob.smith@gmail is the same as bob.smith@microsoft? gently caress that. FUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKK that.

I told her that I wasn't going to do it, it's a waste of time, and luckily the CEO agreed with me. Maybe we'll fix our stupid rear end practice of scraping attendee lists for conferences and adding them to our mailing list without consent! (we won't)

Part two
Hey peen are you free on thursday?
Well I have one meeting, with you. What's up?
I need you to take over this call for me. It'll only take a few minutes.
Okay sure.
Okay. I introduced you to the person. You now have 2 calls on wednesday with them, and the one on thursday for you to manually QA their site, because I don't have time.
:suicide:
I fell into the trap.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

tango alpha delta posted:

I've been tasked to upgrade our MediaWiki from 2006. Kill me now.

Hah, I had to do that not 4 months ago. Welcome to HELL.

(It's actually not too painful, as long as your old developers kept their custom script hacks in the extensions directories. The maintenance/update.php script takes care of 90% of it, you just need to make sure you've duped your production database structure and data somewhere safe in case you need to do a rollback)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

peeNamaste posted:

Part two
Hey peen are you free on thursday?
Well I have one meeting, with you. What's up?
I need you to take over this call for me. It'll only take a few minutes.
Okay sure.
Okay. I introduced you to the person. You now have 2 calls on wednesday with them, and the one on thursday for you to manually QA their site, because I don't have time.
:suicide:
I fell into the trap.

"You never mentioned anything about Wednesday. I'm all tied up. Sorry, can't help".

Or just a simple "gently caress no i didn't agree to that".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
good lord
I just got the outgoing Director's Surface Pro back to scrub it and give it to him as a 'parting gift'.
So he gives me this bag with the surface in it, and says "I have all my passwords written down on a sheet of paper in the pocket" and he gives me a loving *WINK*.
And he means all of his passwords. Surface, email, facebook, banking, amazon, ebay, it goes on and on.

Like dude. If you ever lost this bag you would be proper hosed. Proper. hosed.

gently caress. why.

Antioch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

good lord
I just got the outgoing Director's Surface Pro back to scrub it and give it to him as a 'parting gift'.
Sso he gives me this bag with the surface in it, and says "I have all my passwords written down on a sheet of paper in the pocket" and he gives me a loving *WINK*.
And he means all of his passwords. Surface, email, facebook, banking, amazon, ebay, it goes on and on.

Like dude. If you ever lost this bag you would be proper hosed. Proper. hosed.

Ffuck. why.

A business I work for on the side has a user (one of the owners) that keeps all of his passwords in a word file in his My Documents.

Including all of your Adultery dating websites. Nothing like watching him scroll through a list of passwords looking for the quickbooks login to see "Ashley Madison, Plenty of Fish, Cougar Hunter, D Link..."

mewse
May 2, 2006

m.hache posted:

A business I work for on the side has a user (one of the owners) that keeps all of his passwords in a word file in his My Documents.

Including all of your Adultery dating websites. Nothing like watching him scroll through a list of passwords looking for the quickbooks login to see "Ashley Madison, Plenty of Fish, Cougar Hunter, D Link..."

LMFAO

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Sickening posted:

Apps that don't support app publishing in terminal services can go to hell.

Sage isn't listening.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Honestly, D-Link sounds like a gay dating website.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

xov posted:

Sage isn't listening.

Sage is a four letter word.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My boss's boss's boss sends an email - as a customer facing organization it is critical that we follow the signature template, which means have your office and your mobile phone numbers in your signature.

Choose your own snark adventure:
1) You got me a mobile phone? :confused:
2) What mobile phone?
3) Take a guess if I am putting my personal cell phone number in an email that could be forwarded in any of a hundred directions.
And various other possibilities.

If you really want, I can put my office number as my mobile number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My boss's boss's boss sends an email - as a customer facing organization it is critical that we follow the signature template, which means have your office and your mobile phone numbers in your signature.

Choose your own snark adventure:
1) You got me a mobile phone? :confused:
2) What mobile phone?
3) Take a guess if I am putting my personal cell phone number in an email that could be forwarded in any of a hundred directions.
And various other possibilities.

If you really want, I can put my office number as my mobile number.

Get a google voice number, put it in there, set call screening up, ignore anyone you don't recognize?