Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just stay in bishop lei then. It's a decent hotel which costs slightly more than the nicer hostel dorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
how easy is it to get a mainland china visa in HK and is this something I want to do?

Assume I already know how to see people poo poo via the magic of the internet and dont need to see it live in realtime

also I should probably stop reading therealsingapore

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I thought the main difference was that as a Gay American in the following countries:

China - "Oh that poor boy's parents will never get to have grandchildren"

America - "That poor boy's soul will face eternal fire unless we can force the Devil Gay from him"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LentThem posted:

I thought the main difference was that as a Gay American in the following countries:

China - "Oh that poor boy's parents will never get to have retirement slaves"

America - "That poor boy's soul will face eternal fire unless we can force the Devil Gay from him"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Three for three, the Korean guys I have met and talked to properly in China have made passes at me when they found out I was a part-time gay.

I mean, it's not like I dislike ladies, and it's not there is a shortage of them here (although check back in 10-20 years amirite guyz), but as soon as they find out that yes, I don't completely discriminate on gender lines, it's like a Seoul-train headed not-straight for Blowjobsville. Maybe it's just a Korean thing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

how easy is it to get a mainland china visa in HK and is this something I want to do?

Assume I already know how to see people poo poo via the magic of the internet and dont need to see it live in realtime

also I should probably stop reading therealsingapore

It's a total crapshoot as to whether or not you'd be allowed to apply for a visa there. Your best move is to get one in your home country first. If you're American, you might as well since it's good for 10 years now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

Three for three, the Korean guys I have met and talked to properly in China have made passes at me when they found out I was a part-time gay.

I mean, it's not like I dislike ladies, and it's not there is a shortage of them here (although check back in 10-20 years amirite guyz), but as soon as they find out that yes, I don't completely discriminate on gender lines, it's like a Seoul-train headed not-straight for Blowjobsville. Maybe it's just a Korean thing.

Are you 100% sure they were making a pass? Straight Korean dude culture is super homoerotic. Like I would avoid sitting next to a Korean guy when drinking because I didn't want his hand roaming around my junk after drink two.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Windy posted:

What sort of reaction will you get if you're a gay at a Chinese University? I'm not flaming or anything (that sounds wrong), so I'd have to disclose it. Should I disclose it?

I haven't wanted to bother people here too much, but this is the only thing I can't find on the internet. I get that it would suck as a Chinese person, but I gathered it was mostly in the family unit. What about a White Australian?

The average Chinese person has no idea what a gay person is like. Most 20 something Chinese people don't really have a good handle on sex to begin with and are pretty immature. Even then, the usual opposition to it is because it disrupts traditional family values. Even if you're in a known sham marriage and have a kid, take care of your family, and then do your own thing outside the home in secret you're fine. People will willingly look the other way because a good deal of middle aged men are having extra marital affairs or going to see prostitutes with their work buddies so it's not that big of a stretch. Gay dudes cruise in China like they do in the US or elsewhere. Public parks and restrooms, as has been pointed out, is their usual place.

I know gay Westerners who lived pretty average lives, were active on grindr, and never had any problems. They would get the usual, "Do you like Chinese girls?" question but it never went beyond a laugh and changing the subject. It's not like women are going to be forcing themselves on your dick and the police are going to come when you start crying, screaming at you, "NOW YOU hosed UP."

The average person on the street in China has no idea what to expect from Westerners too. Even literal crazy creepers that have no business teaching kids are over there with work visas and when you ask people about it they don't think there's anything amiss. Not being a paragon of heterosexuality isn't going to illicit any response.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FSAD does an annual thread in rear end/Tell where he gets his Chinese students to ask a bunch of questions for gay people on SA to answer. They're middle schoolers, I think, but it's still pretty interesting and you should probably look up the most recent one and read it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you 100% sure they were making a pass? Straight Korean dude culture is super homoerotic. Like I would avoid sitting next to a Korean guy when drinking because I didn't want his hand roaming around my junk after drink two.

I... hadn't really considered that. I mean, yeah, if Korean culture allows for groping another guy without that being 'making a pass', then I guess I don't know for sure. Korea sounds... special, though. :-S

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Korea's bad.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

In light of this new info, its ny next holiday destination. Why pay for in Thailand what's free in Korea?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

fart simpson posted:

FSAD does an annual thread in rear end/Tell where he gets his Chinese students to ask a bunch of questions for gay people on SA to answer. They're middle schoolers, I think, but it's still pretty interesting and you should probably look up the most recent one and read it.

He left China so I don't think he'll be doing that again. He's got a pretty good business going hosting Chinese kids who want to go to school in the USA.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah but people can still go back and read the ones he already did.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Things seem to be getting better too, in my little anecdote world. Modern Family has made great inroads with my students for how gay people are normal, and they were disappointed I was not gay because they wanted a new gay friend after the gay guy in their class left this year.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sounds like a good opportunity to gay up.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You could just tell them you're gay. As long as you're not intending to have sex with your female students, it shouldn't make a difference.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'd be slightly worried about telling an employer that I were gay, and by extension telling a single student because then the employer would find out. There is a lot of gossiping in China, like my female coworker smoked outside of work only and yet somehow the administration found out and gave her a hard time about it (because of incredibly sexist Chinese double standards...the male coworkers were allowed to smoke on campus with students, no problem!).

My biggest worry would be that someone really high up would find out you were gay, then decide irrationally that it is really bad and want you to get fired over it. Alternatively you could get into a bunch of awkward situations where people try to give you a one-to-one about how you are immoral or some dumb bullshit.

The prevailing attitude in this thread seems to be that it's not really that big of a deal, but I'm just giving a more paranoid viewpoint.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The paranoid viewpoint is the way to function in Asia for sure.

Anyway I'd also lose the services of students talking me up to the single attractive teachers around school.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
In China? Time to Gay It Up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The China Megathread III: Time to Gay It UP

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hello thread, I am at Ocean Park! The mainlanders are awful. My friend really liked Systran's story about the hurt feelings of the Chinese people.

See you at Caliburger tomorrow !!!!!!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Hello thread, I am at Ocean Park! The mainlanders are awful. My friend really liked Systran's story about the hurt feelings of the Chinese people.

See you at Caliburger tomorrow !!!!!!

My girlfriend is from the mainland and she's thrilled to meet up with you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Me too !!!!
She is the best

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There are no good looking women in hk, no wonder the guys go gay or gently caress prostitutes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

The mainlanders are awful.

Welcome to China please respect our culture lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Negligent posted:

There are no good looking women in hk, no wonder the guys go gay or gently caress prostitutes.

Get out of wanchai.

Hey goon goon meet tomorrow 730pm caliburger

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Negligent posted:

there's actually a big wechat group specifically to warn girls that you're within 500 meters

you're a big V

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

caberham posted:

Get out of wanchai.

Hey goon goon meet tomorrow 730pm caliburger

Lookin' forward to some fine burg and wild fries

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Where is th place to go for ridiculous Jackie Chan souvenirs ??

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hey peanut, can you bring me back a red panda? I'll pay shipping from the airport to Tokyo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Where is th place to go for ridiculous Jackie Chan souvenirs ??

Get Bruce Lee one's at Siu Man centre

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

Hey peanut, can you bring me back a red panda? I'll pay shipping from the airport to Tokyo.

Sorry I'm in the wrong China

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

peanut posted:

Sorry I'm in the wrong China

Just steal the one in Ocean Park

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Chengdu goons, got room for two more? :china: :dance:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

Chengdu goons, got room for two more? :china: :dance:

Sorry Chengdu's population is 14 million Chinese-sized people or 4 goon-sized people.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Chengdulsan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jeoh posted:

Chengdulsan

Pretty much!

Arglebargle III posted:

Sorry Chengdu's population is 14 million Chinese-sized people or 4 goon-sized people.

It's okay, I am really short. I usually ride around on GF's shoulder like a parrot.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I have decided my time in Henan must come to an end and I want to move to Shanghai, if some weird deal about being handed over a school in Zhengzhou doesn't work out.

I eventually plan to start my own business there, but I might need a job for a year while I scrape up some investment and employees. I've been teaching English in China since 2008, and been with the same company (who love me) since 2010. I've taught at training centers, high schools, middle schools, universities, and done employee training for a branch of SInopec. I recently acquired an MBA from the University of Florida.

I'm not quite sure what to do - my long-term goal will take me about a year to put in motion. I would like to work in business but am not interested in a finance career. I have a lot of teaching experience and wouldn't mind doing that for a year while I get my venture started. But I don't know where to start, exactly. My current job ends in June but I get to keep my residence permit until October. I need to figure something out.

Anyway I know a lot of you have been here for a long time - the business I want to start is specific to Shanghai, and can be eventually expanded into other places like Hong Kong or Singapore. People just tell me "get on linked-in" but my China experience has always been that friendship networks lead to better jobs, and my only experience with LinkedIn is that all the really weird people I know try to get me to join.

So where do I start? Who do I want to work for in Shanghai?

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Aren't you like Henan's #1 DJ? Just jump into the Shanghai club scene.