Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's 1824 of course. Read the rules for 1830 first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'd recommend the Avalon Hill rules. The Mayfair ones are a mess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

1830 rules posted:

Lay out the board and choose a player to be Banker. He should sit at the "south" side of the board and will need space for the Bank funds to be laid out in addition to his own money and possessions. He will also need space for a pencil and paper. A calculator is very useful.

Also, about 70% of the manual has to do with the stock market, and then goes "oh, and there are trains, too, I guess." I think I'm in love. :stare:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, about 70% of the manual has to do with the stock market, and then goes "oh, and there are trains, too, I guess." I think I'm in love. :stare:

Yeah tek had an 18xx thread but it didn't get enough traffic. The games are mostly stock manipulation but some of them are a bit more track building oriented I guess? All I know is in the forum game of 1830 tek ran I got hosed hard on various stock market shenanigans.

There's always a few old guys at conventions that just constantly play various 18xx games all con. They usually use an application (there's literally one that lets you play the games by email called rails) to keep track of the numbers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We can run a PBEM game of 1830 for newbie so that I can crush them so you can learn how to play if you want?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Oh BoardGameGeek, what a delightful collection of manchildren you have.

OP posts about designing a board game about his company's business plan and wants to try and get his co-workers to play it, apparently in an effort to teach them OPs "business plan" instead. Management apparently "doesn't listen" to his idea for the business and co-workers listen "even less" so how the hell he's going to convey his point through a loving board game I have no idea. :psyduck:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

OP posts about designing a board game about his company's business plan and wants to try and get his co-workers to play it, apparently in an effort to teach them OPs "business plan" instead. Management apparently "doesn't listen" to his idea for the business and co-workers listen "even less" so how the hell he's going to convey his point through a loving board game I have no idea. :psyduck:

These sorts of people are insufferable, pure Dunning-Kruger effect. An especially irritating combination of brown nosing and :smug: If his ideas for the company are as bad as his idea about how to present them then there is a reason his job doesn't normally involve making real decisions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

These sorts of people are insufferable, pure Dunning-Kruger effect. An especially irritating combination of brown nosing and :smug: If his ideas for the company are as bad as his idea about how to present them then there is a reason his job doesn't normally involve making real decisions.

Well said, Rutibex.

Guys we have to reward him when he's right.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Lorini posted:

Well said, Rutibex.

Yes, but the only reward I know he'll enjoy is not something I'm willing to give him.

Who in this thread IS willing to sit down to an all day game of Talisman with him?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lorini posted:

Well said, Rutibex.

Rutibex is a nice guy, who happens to have a taste in games that differs from most other people in the thread. The only thing he does wrong is liking Talisman. Which is bad enough, but still.

Earlier, I was think about roll to move games, and it occurred to me that Pachisi/Ludo (is that a common children's game outside of Denmark?) basically tried to fix the lack of choices by introducing more pawns and a send-home mechanic for interactivity. And also introducing stars and globes on the die makes the choice of what pawn to move more interesting.
The kicker is of course that it's 1600 years old according to BGG, and yet we still have straight roll to move games from the twentieth century that have learned nothing from this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

We can run a PBEM game of 1830 for newbie so that I can crush them so you can learn how to play if you want?

Don't loving strike out that bit, be forthcoming about your absolute destructive powers.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If you do that, I'd be willing to join as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

jeeves posted:

The Adventure Time Munchkin cards are really nice-- excellent art and etc for the theme. I just have no desire to play the game for obvious reasons.

We should put our heads together and make up a new game using the existing cards for those poor souls who know folks that picked up the game on a whim at Target or such.

Hi.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex is one of my favorite posters here. If I had to play Talisman, I would do so with him.

Onto gaming talk, I've now played 6 missions as the Rebels in Imperial Assault. I still like it, but it just seems like the Empire wins quite a bit. Reading through other people's posts on BGG confirms that. So, just wanted to say that for folks who might not want to play it with players not used to losing to the Overlord.

medchem fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 25, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OmegaGoo posted:

Who in this thread IS willing to sit down to an all day game of Talisman with him?
As long as there's booze and I'm not the one messing with the cards, it'd be an okay way to turn off my brain and shoot the poo poo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex is a national treasure. :colbert:

Anyone played Baseball Highlights 2045 yet?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If by that you mean he should be kept locked in a glass case for tourists to gawp at, I agree.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

OmegaGoo posted:

Can't be any worse than the time I played Arkham Horror for eight hours and the game did its level best to drive me insane. I'll do it. As long as you let me bring my Jeppson's Malort. Everything in life seems a lot better after I drink some.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Baseball Highlights 2045 yet?

I am...moderately annoyed to have missed this Kickstarter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Hidden Clause on those Talisman games is that you actually have to play to an actual, RAW conclusion and not use house rules in order to avoid the end game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jedit posted:

If by that you mean he should be kept locked in a glass case for tourists to gawp at, I agree.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Deathlove posted:

I am...moderately annoyed to have missed this Kickstarter.

I think it's the same price from the publisher's website so it's all good good, dude. There is also a preorder for a reprint or restock or somethign of the base game at cardhaus for 25 bucks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I'd be up for it, sure. It's not as if I'm not already playing three PbPs on the forums where I have no idea of what I'm doing. :v:

Looking forward to bankrupting a company or two.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

BonHair posted:

Rutibex is a nice guy, who happens to have a taste in games that differs from most other people in the thread. The only thing he does wrong is liking Talisman. Which is bad enough, but still.

There's nothing wrong with liking Talisman. I like terrible poo poo too. Recommending it to other people is what's reprehensible.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

I love that he didn't even ask if this was practical or wise, or was going to work, or whether it was just a bizarre dick move; he asked if it's "evil."

Can any one man truly be trusted with the power to brainwash an entire company through his poo poo board game? With great power comes great responsibility.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lorini posted:

Well said, Rutibex.

medchem posted:

Rutibex is one of my favorite posters here. If I had to play Talisman, I would do so with him.
:neckbeard: I'll set up the board! I call the Prophetess though, thats just how it works when you play Talisman with Rutibex.

Poison Mushroom posted:

As long as there's booze and I'm not the one messing with the cards, it'd be an okay way to turn off my brain and shoot the poo poo.
Every time a person takes damage or loses a turn they must take a shot :cheers:

In other news I finished my Potato famine Agricola-like and it was very well received! Became the toast of the graduate student lounge for a week or so :v: Anyway I put together a P&P package so anyone can make their own "Dollar Store Agricola" aka Feirmeoir

Feirmeoir P&P
https://www.mediafire.com/?hk9h1snqep8sshd

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

Goons are stalking me :ninja:

:ninja:

In semi-related news, London on Board is good poo poo and if you are in London you should go along.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

:ninja:

In semi-related news, London on Board is good poo poo and if you are in London you should go along.

If you're able to book three weeks in advance.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jedit posted:

If you're able to book three weeks in advance.

I booked both Monday and Tuesday night on the Saturday beforehand as the 15th on the waitlist and was confirmed as in by midday on both days. It's not that bad!

[EDIT] and I was also able to play the manliest game ever, Elfenland. So, win-win!

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 25, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone have trip reports on Pictomania? my FLGS just got it and I'm thinking about picking it up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

burger time posted:

Anyone have trip reports on Pictomania? my FLGS just got it and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I hate drawing games, I hate party games, I think it's literally the best of both other than maaaybe Dixit for the latter.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pictionary + Vlaada? Gold. The only truly poo poo thing he's done is Prophecy, isn't it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Pictionary + Vlaada? Gold. The only truly poo poo thing he's done is Prophecy, isn't it?
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

Is it bad or just stupid like Ugg-tech? I thought it looked interesting if not my cup of tea

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ugg-Tect is amazing, you take that bad. I dislike it because I have difficulty in discerning the cards and I feel silly playing it :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

Tekopo hates fun, by the way (it's a laugh, but not something I'd want to play much, to be fair)

Prophecy is only poo poo compared to games that aren't Talisman; compared to that, given that it's in the same vein, it's not too bad. :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I hate drawing games, I hate party games, I think it's literally the best of both other than maaaybe Dixit for the latter.

It's pretty fun. I don't like Pictionary either and i'd rather play "non party" games too, but I will play Pictomania.

The "Hard" mode cards are also incredibly in a how the gently caress do I do this way, because they're more concepts than things and it's hard to draw overwhelming despair, but that's part of what makes it fun. How the poo poo is the box and some arrows supposed to tell me what ennui is?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sloober posted:

It's pretty fun. I don't like Pictionary either and i'd rather play "non party" games too, but I will play Pictomania.

The "Hard" mode cards are also incredibly in a how the gently caress do I do this way, because they're more concepts than things and it's hard to draw overwhelming despair.
*draws a picture of this thread*

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
BBMM is perfectly good, though it's more brain-burny than you'd expect from what looks like a party game. Also Pictomania is awesome, especially once you start getting to the higher difficulty cards, and they want you to start differentiating between a prosecutor, defense attorney, jury, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

*draws a picture of this thread*

Well i'd get that but the guys I game with aren't goons.