Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Aces High posted:

Those are some scrub Rebels, holy poo poo. Also that Interdictor turned on God Mode :v:

It's a frigate, two corvettes and some freighters up against the full might of two Star Destroyers. Their only chance was to run, and the Interdictor put a stop to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, the best thing the old Star Wars EU let us do game-wise was letting us see the universe from the side of the Imperial Navy.

It's become pretty standard fare now to see the perspective of the antagonists but at the time playing as the bad guys was unprecedented.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 24, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

are y'all enjoying the BTL-A4? thinkin of running this for a tournament on sunday that I don't need any promos from:

3x Syndicate Thug w/ Ion Cannon Turret, R4 Agromech, BTL-A4
2x Binayre Pirate

re-skinned as Rebels since that's what I want to fly

thinking I'll send in the Zs to interfere then have the BTL-A4s come in and pound the poo poo out of stuff

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's a frigate, two corvettes and some freighters up against the full might of two Star Destroyers. Their only chance was to run, and the Interdictor put a stop to that.

Oh I know that their chances weren't great I'm more talking about the lovely Y-Wing pilot, who wasted his missiles (they were red so I'm pretty sure they were missiles and not torps) and those 4 guys that got clowned by a T/B.

I loves me some TIE-Fighter :fap:ing, don't get me wrong but it's like Canada vs. Japan hockey match ups, you feel sorry for the losers

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Aces High posted:

Oh I know that their chances weren't great I'm more talking about the lovely Y-Wing pilot, who wasted his missiles (they were red so I'm pretty sure they were missiles and not torps)

Maybe the animator took the time to correct one of the more glaring errors from the games.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alg posted:

are y'all enjoying the BTL-A4?

I like putting it on a generic gold squad along with the stress droid and an ion and double tapping stress on bitches all game long. Don't even care about clearing the stress off of him just pretend he's tycho and end the game with like 9 tokens on him

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What would be a good catch-all shopping list? I have played this many times with friends and follow all of the releases and tournament stuff but money is kinda tight for me. I guess I am asking is what would be a good budget list of stuff to get so I can still be "competitive" with my friends that have more disposable income than me :v: but it won't break my bank

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Assuming you already have a base set, Rebel Aces, Z-95, and the Falcon if you're flying Rebel. TIE Interceptor/Imp Aces, Phantom, and Decimator for Imp. Aggressor, Most Wanted, and M-3 (for Mangler) for Scum.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Rebel Aces and the YT-2400 for Rebels. The Falcon is nice, but HLC Outrider is better IMO.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cobbsprite posted:

Rebel Aces and the YT-2400 for Rebels. The Falcon is nice, but HLC Outrider is better IMO.

That's what I had for the longest time plus two 7-95s. I now havea 2nd awing, a syck for that sweet sweet mangler, a y-wing and soon a falcon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cobbsprite posted:

this goon is literally insane

the Falcon has everything. a great ship, great pilots, and must have upgrades (engine upgrade, shield upgrade, veteran instincts)

yt-2400 is cool and capable in a really great player's hands but not nearly as important for a new player

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Mango Outrider is better anyway.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

this goon is literally insane

the Falcon has everything. a great ship, great pilots, and must have upgrades (engine upgrade, shield upgrade, veteran instincts)

yt-2400 is cool and capable in a really great player's hands but not nearly as important for a new player

An HLC Outrider is also basically unusable without an Engine upgrade, which you're going to need a Falcon for anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

Mango Outrider is better anyway.

I still haven't painted mine with a racing/nose art print yet and now I'm tempted to do this. Maybe a slot machine with 7s, mangoes, something

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
As someone interested in getting into this game, how are TIE Interceptors? They've always been my favorite Star Wars design.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ProfessorCurly posted:

As someone interested in getting into this game, how are TIE Interceptors? They've always been my favorite Star Wars design.

They're good, but you need to buy a lot of stuff to fly them at their full capability. An Interceptor pack, an Imperial Aces pack, and a StarViper if you're planning to fly against ships with turrets.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Oh that's a point actually, I get that you need upgrade cards to buy things. But do you need an upgrade card for each ship you give that upgrade to?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ProfessorCurly posted:

Oh that's a point actually, I get that you need upgrade cards to buy things. But do you need an upgrade card for each ship you give that upgrade to?

Technically, yes, but outside of tournaments nobody really cares.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ProfessorCurly posted:

TIE Interceptors are really good IMO: they have quite a lot of punch, they are (along with the A-Wing) one of the most maneuverable ships in the game and they have some extremely good pilots at the higher range of Pilot Skill: Soontir probably has one of the better abilities in the entire game. They rely on getting out of the firing arcs of enemy ships in order to avoid damage and although previously they suffered against turret ships, the addition of the Autothruster upgrade helps a lot. The low skill pilots are slightly overcosted and usually not worth taking since they die just as easily as vanilla TIE Fighters but cost 18 points in comparison to 12 for a TIE fighter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCurly posted:

Yes, you do. Obviously, this only matters in tournaments, though.

Soontir Fel with PtL and Autothrusters (and Stealth Device if you can fit it in) is still great. Unfortunately, the Interceptor pilots without an elite pilot slot are basically unplayable because they can't take PtL, but that still leaves you with Soontir Fel (from the Interceptor booster) and maybe Carnor Jax (from Imperial Aces).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Carnor can be a beast thanks to his ability. Turr is also nice, but I prefer to take Carnor or Soontir. Soontir is the one that you most likely will see most of the times since he's so sweet to fly.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
What about these Royal Guard Squadron guys I see in the builder?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They are probably the best generic pilots currently available: they can have elite pilot talents and have the highest Pilot Skill of any generic pilot. If the game consisted of only generic pilots, they would sweep the board but since higher PS pilots exist that actually have pilot abilities are present, they aren't used that much. They are still generally more useful than the named Intie pilots without Elite Pilot Talents.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCurly posted:

What about these Royal Guard Squadron guys I see in the builder?

Those are in Imperial Aces. They're solid enough since they can take Push the Limit, but the low PS hurts them a lot in the current meta. For a while, 4x Royal Guard with PtL was a great list, but not so much nowadays, especially since you'd want Autothrusters and that would push them to 27 points (so you can't take four).

If you're going to proxy stuff, you can get by with just one Interceptor, since you're probably never going to fly more than one in any given list unless you go out of your way to try to fit more in there at the cost of being ~suboptimal~. If you don't give a poo poo about not having the best list ever and plan on flying multiple Interceptors, are going to play in tournaments where you need the upgrade cards, or just want an Interceptor with 181st blood stripes, getting Imperial Aces in addition to the Interceptor is a good idea.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Well darn. I kind of liked this:

Darth Vader
-Push the Limits, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer

x2 Royal Guards
-Push the Limits, Auto-Thrusters, Shield Upgrade

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You don't really need to use PtL on Vader because he already gets two actions and stress limits his movements too much, Veteran Instincts are much better on him. Shield Upgrade on the Royal Guard TIEs is too expensive and by that point, you might as well upgrade one of them to Soontir.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stealth device is the best combo with auto thrusters for surviving as a tie interceptor now. It used to be iffy because of gunner but now they don't even have to worry about that. Let me tell you about shooting 20 dice into the Baron without hitting. :v:

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Interesting. How important would the Upgraded Engines be on Darth Vader's TIE, as an aside?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ProfessorCurly posted:

Interesting. How important would the Upgraded Engines be on Darth Vader's TIE, as an aside?
It's not essential but it is very useful, because it makes him able to arc dodge (by using his actions to boost then barrel roll or vice versa) much more effectively.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Chill la Chill posted:

Stealth device is the best combo with auto thrusters for surviving as a tie interceptor now. It used to be iffy because of gunner but now they don't even have to worry about that. Let me tell you about shooting 20 dice into the Baron without hitting. :v:

And on that principle....

=== "No, gently caress YOU, I insist." ===

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer] (35)
Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (30)
Soontir Fel [Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (35)

This looks fun as gently caress to fly, even if it'll suffer badly against certain lists.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
That is actually the reason I asked about Vader. I did the same thing but I gave Vader Steath instead of the engine upgrade and gave Turr Phennir Veteran's Instincts as well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer] (35)
Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (30)
Soontir Fel [Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (35)

This looks fun as gently caress to fly, even if it'll suffer badly against certain lists.

I want to try this list out since I've yet to rock Darth or Interceptors in any lists I've played and that feels like a drat shame.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So my order of Feldherr (https://www.felherr.net)foam trays came in from Germany. These are "half" size trays and I just got enough to fill an existing case I had. They also do half size for the other big ships, one for S&V that will take IG2000's and Star Vipers and a full size one for the Corvette

Overall it means i have enough storage to keep me going for a while. If needed I'm sure i can get some friends interested to get the free postage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd rather take PtL over Stealth Device on Turr, even if he does get the free Barrel Roll/Boost after attacking, but that's because I like to do Focus + Evade if I want to play defensively.

EDIT:

99 points

PILOTS

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Carnor Jax (34)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Royal Guard Pilot (30)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

:q:

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

99 points

PILOTS

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Carnor Jax (34)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Royal Guard Pilot (30)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

:q:

Here's a post-mortem of how that list did at a Store Championship:

http://www.tabletopgeneral.com/2015/03/24/galactic-comics-games-x-wing-championship/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Man, that almost makes me want to fly it in the regional at the end of May. If the Imp Raider isn't out by then, I probably will.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Here's a post-mortem of how that list did at a Store Championship:

http://www.tabletopgeneral.com/2015/03/24/galactic-comics-games-x-wing-championship/

That was a good read, thanks for posting it. I jokingly wrote down a similar list that I just haven't had a chance to try yet:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Turr Phennir (25)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 100

It loses out on the initiative and you have one ship without PtL, but it's Turr Phennir (who doesn't need it) and you have no PS lower than 8. I dismissed it as a silly list that wouldn't work but I guess I'll have to try it out.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
I caved and bought the Starter Set and Imperial Aces that were at my LGS. I'll pick up Vader at my earliest convenience and run something like this I think:

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device, Advanced Targeting Computer] (34)
Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Veteran Instincts, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (31)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think I'm buying a second Phantom today.

I haven't even flown a Phantom once. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

I think I'm buying a second Phantom today.

I haven't even flown a Phantom once. :ohdear:

This is why I have three TIE Bombers. Although to my credit I did fly a 3x bomber list a few times, eventually.

• Locked thread