Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
for the sql interview guy a good one people forget about is the HAVING clause used with GROUP BY

i like CTEs but I doubt an interview would ask you about them and probably not even ask you a question where they would be useful

so bone up on your JOINs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

~Coxy posted:

for the sql interview guy a good one people forget about is the HAVING clause used with GROUP BY

i like CTEs but I doubt an interview would ask you about them and probably not even ask you a question where they would be useful

so bone up on your JOINs

i am capable of using having/group by, but i have never been able to retain the knowledge two minutes after it's done :saddowns:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Holy fuckkk why won't outlook release its lock on files after reading their mapi properties even if i kill its stupid process

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prefect posted:

i am capable of using having/group by, but i have never been able to retain the knowledge two minutes after it's done :saddowns:

you're not alone if it makes you feel any better

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i spend a lot of time at work whiteboarding big sql queries, ostensibly to teach my underling how to sql but really it's so ill be really really good at it when i work up the motivation to get a real job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Marzzle posted:

can someone show a really stupid example of java lambda stuff because i've googled around for it before and it just sorta assumes you know a bit about them anyway. I actually asked some lovely comp sci ta's and they didn't know that java had lambda expressions but i just wanna car extends vehicle bad programmer example of how they are used and why they are useful since I am p sure my school isn't actually gonna tell me. they seem like they are only good for finding instances of an object in some collection that have properties that fit a specific criteria but it seems like it should probably be able to do a lot more if it was important enough to bring over from other languages. I've been lookin at this

lambdas are really, really useful for collections

code:
List<Student> students = persons.stream()
        .filter(p -> p.getAge() > 18)
        .map(Student::new)
        .collect(Collectors.toCollection(ArrayList::new));
i would argue that lambdas were added to the language primarily to enable the improved collections libraries. they were certainly developed together.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the collections stuff is one of the biggest improvements in the std api pretty much since generics imo. 7 and 8 were good releases.

I think to really appreciate lamdas you have to have spent time in callback anon inner object hell and see code like this everywhere

code:
public void setUpTheNozzle(final someBar) {
    myNozzle.addClickHandler(new ClickEventHandler<ReturnType>() {

@Override
        public ReturnType clickEvent(ClickEvent c) {
            doSomeRetardedShitWIth(someBar);
        }
    });
}
there are code bases out there where that pattern is utterly pervasive. the new date and time stuff looks pretty good too. too bad none of my clients are going to switch to java 8 any time soon.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Holy fuckkk why won't outlook release its lock on files after reading their mapi properties even if i kill its stupid process

its me. I am the terrible programmer.

Turns out if you open something with a .msg extension that is not a .msg because you didn't bother to check the downloaded file type and just assumed it was right outlook will barf a file locked error

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am currently dealing with c++ code that calls python code that calls c++ code that calls python code and i want to die. that is all

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so i've been using a lot of middleware stuff to make a product for a client. usually small SaaS companies are really awesome and will send you out a person email asking to chat for a few minutes.

well one I signed up for yesterday sent me a similar email but said like "Dear PleasureKevin of Nintendo (originally ClientAppName)"

i was like um sure I can chat but why do you say "originally ClientAppName"?

i noticed they checked out my LinkedIn page where i guess it still says I work at Nintendo.

so they email back and say they've also invited two executives from Nintendo to our meeting.

what the hell that kinda feels like an invasion of privacy.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 25, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

so i've been using a lot of middleware stuff to make a product for a client. usually small SaaS companies are really awesome and will send you out a person email asking to chat for a few minutes.

well one I signed up for yesterday sent me a similar email but said like "Dead PleasureKevin of Nintendo (originally ClientAppName)"

i noticed they checked out my LinkedIn page where i guess it still says I work at Nintendo.

so they email back and say they've also invited two executives from Nintendo to our meeting.

you used to work at nintendo?

that's p. cool

and there are stories about people google-stalking job candidates and even demanding their facebook passwords. you got off eqasy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

no i didn't work at nintendo i'm just using some rando company name for the industry i was in. i said ubisoft in another thread.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

however i really do work for ClientAppName

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PleasureKevin posted:

well one I signed up for yesterday sent me a similar email but said like "Dear PleasureKevin of Nintendo (originally ClientAppName)"

salesforce is magic

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my dissertation deadline is friday at 6pm, I need to give a presentation in 10 hours that I havent written yet, and i cant wait for all this to be over

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lambdas are really, really useful for collections

code:
List<Student> students = persons.stream()
        .filter(p -> p.getAge() > 18)
        .map(Student::new)
        .collect(Collectors.toCollection(ArrayList::new));
i would argue that lambdas were added to the language primarily to enable the improved collections libraries. they were certainly developed together.
Elaborating on this, the vast majority of for loops in application level programming could be beneficially replaced by functions that take lambdas as parameters.

Benefits over for loops:
  • more succinct
  • reveals intent and is more readable
  • modular
  • less error-prone

Imagine the equivalent for loop(s) required for the above example. Now imagine more complicated examples with grouping, joins, counting, and whatever arbitrary collection processing.

Using lambdas w/ collections is analogous to sticking pipes together that feed into each other. This is a much better situation than wracking your brain over what i j and k mean right now in a deeply nested for loop.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 26, 2015

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Do the java 8 stdlib collection processing functions w/ lambdas use lazy evaluation?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Valeyard posted:

my dissertation deadline is friday at 6pm, I need to give a presentation in 10 hours that I havent written yet, and i cant wait for all this to be over

stop yosposting

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Valeyard posted:

i winged most of thsi poo poo too. soon it will be over, it wont mean poo poo anymore, and u can make a p. deece figgies doing jack all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

Do the java 8 stdlib collection processing functions w/ lambdas use lazy evaluation?

you have to explicitly request laziness by converting a collection to a stream, which is very easy

most of the operations for collections are also available on streams. it's pretty darn easy. oracle example:

code:
List<Integer> numbers = Arrays.asList(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);

List<Integer> twoEvenSquares = 
    numbers.stream()
           .filter(n -> {
                    System.out.println("filtering " + n); 
                    return n % 2 == 0;
                  })
           .map(n -> {
                    System.out.println("mapping " + n);
                    return n * n;
                  })
           .limit(2)
           .collect(toList());

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

i finally got the pile of matlab/octave code that this guy wrote that I am tryin to extend and he basically didn't comment a single line lol

fortunately, there's probably 2-300 lines total so I guess figuring it out by trial and error won't take more than a few weeks but i knew as soon as they said a "math phd" wrote the program it would be a completely unannotated chore

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

i winged most of thsi poo poo too. soon it will be over, it wont mean poo poo anymore, and u can make a p. deece figgies doing jack all

I ended up not sleeping to prepare for the presentation but I was a jittering mess anyway, such is life

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i just noticed that as of v 4.0.0 jsdom, a somewhat popular node.js thing, is now only for io.js

i mean i got on node.js cause it seemed pretty hip and reminded me of when ruby was coming up in popularity.

but this kind of move just makes the whole bunch seem like uptight pricks.

they also call it Node.js™ now with the little trademark sign now, like when people wrote Microsoft as micro$oft

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

i just noticed that as of v 4.0.0 jsdom, a somewhat popular node.js thing, is now only for io.js

i mean i got on node.js cause it seemed pretty hip and reminded me of when ruby was coming up in popularity.

but this kind of move just makes the whole bunch seem like uptight pricks.

they also call it Node.js™ now with the little trademark sign now, like when people wrote Microsoft as micro$oft

lol

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

JewKiller 3000 posted:

look man, if you're serious, you need to read TAPL. you can skip the heavy theory sections because you're presumably not trying to get a phd (if you are, read the whole thing cover to cover). once you're done, you can move on to "advanced topics in types and programming languages" or you can say gently caress that poo poo and go in another direction. but right now you are not equipped to make that decision

you don't need to know anything about type theory (beyond "what is a type") to implement your own programming language or compiler. no one here is trying to make a serious industrial or research compiler. don't be so autistic.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
tbf it seems like a cool book and I am interested in type theory.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah bro just stop being a sperg about writing a compiler heh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Lunar Suite posted:

i was working for apple as tech support once, though. every non-american customer did not give a poo poo about what features i had to tell them about (yay scripts). the american caller i once had was totally off her loving rocker when i told her about ~new features~.

and yeah, after two months of creating the thing i admit i'm invested into it, so that was a pretty bad humblebrag. sorry!
but i had to do the thing the program is supposed to do manually and it took me like two hours for 20 files or so. gently caress that.

i've gotten a recommendation for http://www.amazon.de/Clean-Code-Handbook-Software-Craftsmanship/dp/0132350882 - any thoughts there? if i'm gonna have programming as a skill i want to do it properly.

e: the scary thing is when you try to tell someone, anyone about what you're doing to get some sort of feedback or instruction and you're the only one who knows what you're talking about. didn't expect that to happen before i start my phd.

hi just going to say that if you want to get a good book, read the practice of progreamming by kernighan and pike

also i have issues with creepy uncle bob martin

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
never take software advice from someone who has successfully made a living of giving software advice

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i don't like the pragmatic programmer series or any of the books they've published, mostly because the typesetting is jaw droppingly awful to me

oh and code complete, the book that told people to make arrays bigger to hide off by one errors

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how about i make the github issues and you just fix them for me

how about that

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

or we could do this the other way where i make the pull request and you reject it and say nothing

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

nah bro just stop being a sperg about writing a compiler heh

half the point is to be a sperg about it

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef posted:

i don't like the pragmatic programmer series or any of the books they've published, mostly because the typesetting is jaw droppingly awful to me

whatever font they use is terrible. unbelievably, how are you a publisher with this type terrible.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

half the point is to be a sperg about it

i know thats why its funny to accuse someone aspiring to write a compiler of being spergy

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
beep boop

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

tbf it seems like a cool book and I am interested in type theory.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

tef posted:

never take software advice from someone who has successfully made a living of giving software advice

remove the software part put a stitch of it on etsy and make bank.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

oh and code complete, the book that told people to make arrays bigger to hide off by one errors

i had gotten the impression that code complete was really good :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

:negative:

• Locked thread