Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, if you star contacts, you can set priority mode so that starred ones ring through, and it cleverly distinguishes between calls and messages.

I haven't done enough testing to check hangouts, email, etc. But it does work for calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

IuniusBrutus posted:

Doesn't 5.0 have the baked in natively?

Yeah it does. I'm pretty sure that's why Motorola would remove that feature.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can't do the "two-calls-to-override" thing but I'm pretty sure you could reproduce that with Tasker.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there a way to manage my list of devices that the Google Play store checks for compatibility? It's still checking my old Nexus 5 (that I sent to be replaced) as well as the T-Mobile G2 I used prior. I'd like to remove them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

Is there a way to manage my list of devices that the Google Play store checks for compatibility? It's still checking my old Nexus 5 (that I sent to be replaced) as well as the T-Mobile G2 I used prior. I'd like to remove them.

You can hide them in the settings but you can't remove them. It looks like they finally fall off the list if they haven't been used for 3 years. The last thing on my list is an old Galaxy Nexus I threw away in November 2012, and my N1 and other ancient stuff from before that no longer show up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

The Merkinman posted:

https://play.google.com/settings

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So since I can't use betterbatterystats on my 5.0.2 moto, any suggestions on apps to disable? I've already disabled quite a few (below). Also should I turn off notifications for all my apps?

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
google (contacts sync, keyboard, init, setup, pinyin input, play books, play games, play movies and tv, play newsstand, text-to-speech, google+)
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
music visualization walllpapers
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

actionjackson posted:

So since I can't use betterbatterystats on my 5.0.2 moto, any suggestions on apps to disable? I've already disabled quite a few (below). Also should I turn off notifications for all my apps?

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
google (contacts sync, keyboard, init, setup, pinyin input, play books, play games, play movies and tv, play newsstand, text-to-speech, google+)
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

Do you have Facebook and/or Facebook Messenger? Those usually suck.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I've found that just leaving all the shitware apps turned on (disabling nothing) results in better battery life these days. Seems disabling system apps causes the OS to endlessly try to use them, burning battery.

Used to have like 15 disabled apps on my Note 4. After LP yesterday, I just turned them all on. Smooth sailing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

myron cope posted:

Do you have Facebook and/or Facebook Messenger? Those usually suck.

Yeah, unfortunately. I don't have notifications on though.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Tunga posted:

You can't do the "two-calls-to-override" thing but I'm pretty sure you could reproduce that with Tasker.

There's an app called Agent that lets you do this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tryagent

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hotsauce posted:

I've found that just leaving all the shitware apps turned on (disabling nothing) results in better battery life these days. Seems disabling system apps causes the OS to endlessly try to use them, burning battery.

Used to have like 15 disabled apps on my Note 4. After LP yesterday, I just turned them all on. Smooth sailing.

This is the correct answer.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Nm

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

actionjackson posted:

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

I just looked at your post history to see the problem you're having, and... you're not?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I just looked at your post history to see the problem you're having, and... you're not?

I just got the phone yesterday. I'm asking because on my Nexus 4 (that I lost) I was able to use BetterBatteryStats to disable anything causing partial wakelocks. Since I can't use that anymore, I'm just curious if there are any apps that are known to cause a lot of battery drainage that I should look out for :confused:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

What about using your new phone normally instead of trying to break it right off the bat?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

butt dickus posted:

What about using your new phone normally instead of trying to break it right off the bat?

Chillax dude, I know from experience that a lot of that stuff causes huge battery issues.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Guys I just got this brand new car, and I've already ripped out a ton of poo poo from under the hood. Can anyone recommend other things to remove so that my car runs correctly?

:iiaca:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Disabled:

email
hangouts

I'm curious what the gently caress you actually do on your phone after all this :stare: I mean, you disabled the loving keyboard lmbo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, buy a smartphone and turn everything off so it can only make phone calls.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Chillax dude, I know from experience that a lot of that stuff causes huge battery issues.

What in your experience led you to imagine that turning off notifications for all of your apps would improve anything about your experience with this phone, let alone the battery life specifically?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

actionjackson posted:

action my man, this is going as well as your foray into the Cycling thread. I may have to go and support United now to cleanse myself of the second incursion into my worlds like this.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

These are all enabled on my phone and it does not have "huge battery issues."

android live wallpapers
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
hangouts
hp print
talkback

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also speaking of keyboards, mine fucks up and flashes to this occasionally when typing after 5.1 (I use the dark material theme), goes away after I tap any character

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I recommend you just turn off your phone, it gives close to infinite battery life and stops all those pesky notifications.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

actionjackson posted:

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

disable the display

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious what the gently caress you actually do on your phone after all this :stare: I mean, you disabled the loving keyboard lmbo

I use swiftkey

okay i disabled the display things are going great

Penguissimo posted:

What in your experience led you to imagine that turning off notifications for all of your apps would improve anything about your experience with this phone, let alone the battery life specifically?

My understanding was that notifications are wake locks, so a phone that is displaying notifications must "wake itself up" quite a bit which is worse for the battery than if it is sleeping (or whatever it's called).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turn off the radios. That will vastly increase your battery life.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Disconnect the battery from the board. You should get a few months of battery life before it discharges itself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

And okay I reenabled most of that. I just remember the google stuff causing battery issues with my nexus 4, but that was a couple years ago so I guess things have improved.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Probably safer to just disconnect your aorta from your left ventricle. These issues will just fall away.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Unless you're going on a two-week jungle adventure and need to eke out every last drop of battery life, just leave your phone the way it's meant to be and use all those magical things you're denying yourself. Some people have battery issues sometimes, they don't know exactly what causes it and why, if it happens to you it wouldn't be something you could really avoid anyway

actionjackson posted:

My understanding was that notifications are wake locks, so a phone that is displaying notifications must "wake itself up" quite a bit which is worse for the battery than if it is sleeping (or whatever it's called).

Honestly if you don't even know what's going on under the hood (and why would you need to? It's a phone) there's a good chance you're making things worse by messing around with stuff you don't understand. At least try it stock and see if it's fine! Crack open a live wallpaper and kick back with some cloud printing

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The android thread loving owns

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

actionjackson posted:

If you're just unchecking the "show notifications" box in Android Settings' app info screen, that has nothing to do with wakelocks and you're just making your phone less useful. That quite literally JUST stops notifications emitted from the app to be displayed on the screen. It was designed to be used on lovely apps that embed adware and present ads as notifications in the bar, which was a common thing up until 2012 or so.

An app gets a message from Google's backend while the screen is off. For sake of example, Gmail gets a message that you got a new mail. The Gmail app will try to do something with that information, like sync the message to your inbox locally so it can be displayed when you open it. The app needs a wakelock so that the system doesn't go back to sleep and kill Gmail while it's in the middle of downloading. As part of that same processing, it also just pops up the notification. That last part is the only thing that gets stopped.

You seem to be trying to turn your phone into a brick just by cargo culting poo poo from XDA forums, who are like the best examples ever of cargo culting poo poo on their own.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Displaying notifications and syncing data in the background can be (and usually are?) separate. The notification itself isn't the issue, and you can actually disable notifications in app info, rather than disabling the app. But that won't stop an app from giving you wakelocks by syncing constantly in the background.

^^^^ dammit, yeah, what he said

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered a flip phone might fit your needs, OP?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered a flip phone might fit your needs, OP?

I think a payphone might suit him better because they don't run out of juice.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

No, it's 2015. You don't need to disable everything on your phone anymore

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
get an iphone, you can't disable stuff on it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Probably safer to just disconnect your aorta from your left ventricle. These issues will just fall away.