Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Godholio posted:

Neon.
PT Cruiser.
Sebring.
Stratus.

It would probably be easier to list the Chrysler products in the last 15 years that weren't pieces of poo poo.

The LH cars were very nice, as long as you had the 3.5 and I don't remember them having transmission issues. The 4cyl cloud cars weren't bad with the manual either. Jeep has been a rolling garbage fire since the early 2000s though, in some cases literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 200 is arguably a bigger piece of poo poo than the PT Cruiser (the PT can at least sometimes make it out of warranty without major repairs). And the 300 really isn't the pinnacle of reliability either (especially the electrical system), though with the V8 it can be a lot of fun. when it runs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IPCRESS posted:

Is what makes them bad that they're objectively terrible, or is Chrysler just building for the cars-as-appliances crowd and that puts auto enthusiasts off?

Terrible. I've never driven a 200 or 300, but whenever I've gone to the dealership for something related to my Jeep I've had to park in with the new cars because the parts/service lot is almost full of them. I've known one 300 owner and he sold it after about six months. This was a few years ago, so maybe it's gotten better?

Disclaimer: I drive a Wrangler.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A friend owns a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's spent more time in the shop than on the road.

It only took 7 or so trips (most of them via tow truck) to the dealer to get the alternator fixed; it would be fine most of the time, then it would flash something about "reduced power mode" about 5 minutes before it would die (and according to her, there wasn't an alternator light). They'd always say the battery was just dead and needed to be charged. No poo poo it's dead, it wouldn't be dead if the charging system was working right, ya fucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anecdotal, but one friend of mine bought a 200. He lemon lawed it after he had so many issues and I urged him to do so.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Jeez, I honestly didn't realize the 300 was such a pile. I had some buyers remorse recently for not buying a 300 instead of what I bought but now it's making me feel like my choice was the better decision.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Jeez, I honestly didn't realize the 300 was such a pile. I had some buyers remorse recently for not buying a 300 instead of what I bought but now it's making me feel like my choice was the better decision.

I might be biased from a lifetime of my folks poo poo-talking Chrysler (after owning a particularly lovely K-car in the early 80s), but I think anytime you buy not-Chrysler you should feel at least somewhat stable in your decision-making.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"Imported from Detroit" is more of a warning label than a slogan. The last good thing to come from Detroit was Robocop, and the last good car was his Taurus.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Godholio posted:

"Imported from Detroit" is more of a warning label than a slogan. The last good thing to come from Detroit was Robocop, and the last good car was his Taurus.

I'm all for picking on Chrysler but this is a bit too far. There's plenty of good American cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

A friend owns a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's spent more time in the shop than on the road.

It only took 7 or so trips (most of them via tow truck) to the dealer to get the alternator fixed

This is more of a horrible dealership failure than a horrible car failure. Besides, the LX platform always has the redeeming factor (to me) of insane amounts of legroom.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I vanpool in a new Durango. I've never been in a more uncomfortable vehicle. Front seats are huge, with tiny little openings for the legs and basically just make sure that one of my knees is pressed into a hard, sharp plastic surface.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Larrymer posted:

I'm all for picking on Chrysler but this is a bit too far. There's plenty of good American cars.

I agree...that was meant to disparage Detroit, not domestic cars in general.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
For what it's worth, I was having a talk with my mechanic a few months ago regarding my 2001 Mazda MPV, which has one wheel in the grave. When I asked for her advice on what to buy, she said "Anything except Chrysler." So it's not just an AI thing.

Next I asked her what dealership she would recommend, and after thinking for a few minutes, it turned out there was only one dealership in the whole Orlando metroplex that she didn't immediately have terrible horror stories about.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

TheNakedJimbo posted:

For what it's worth, I was having a talk with my mechanic a few months ago regarding my 2001 Mazda MPV, which has one wheel in the grave. When I asked for her advice on what to buy, she said "Anything except Chrysler." So it's not just an AI thing.
Well of course your mechanic would tell you to avoid buying a Chrysler. How is she supposed to earn her living repairing your vehicle if it's something so reliable?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Francis Baconator posted:

Well of course your mechanic would tell you to avoid buying a Chrysler. How is she supposed to earn her living repairing your vehicle if it's something so reliable?
Some things just aren't worth the paycheck, man.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
My mechanic is pretty amazing. That conversation came after my alternator warning light came on, so I went in and asked for a new alternator. She tested the alternator and it performed fine under everything except the highest loads, so she researched the problem herself and discovered there was only a 50-50 chance that a new alternator would fix the problem. She called me up to say that she'd take my money if I really wanted to give it to her, but that if it were her car, and it wasn't giving her any problems and wasn't having a hard time starting, she wouldn't sink that kind of money into it just to make a light go away. Three months later the light still comes on every once in a while but the car is just dandy.

She actually went out of her way to keep me from giving her shop hundreds of dollars. She's basically the exact opposite of the dealership horror stories in this thread. So yeah, I'm prepared to take whatever advice she wants to give.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TheNakedJimbo posted:

My mechanic is pretty amazing. That conversation came after my alternator warning light came on, so I went in and asked for a new alternator. She tested the alternator and it performed fine under everything except the highest loads, so she researched the problem herself and discovered there was only a 50-50 chance that a new alternator would fix the problem. She called me up to say that she'd take my money if I really wanted to give it to her, but that if it were her car, and it wasn't giving her any problems and wasn't having a hard time starting, she wouldn't sink that kind of money into it just to make a light go away. Three months later the light still comes on every once in a while but the car is just dandy.

She actually went out of her way to keep me from giving her shop hundreds of dollars. She's basically the exact opposite of the dealership horror stories in this thread. So yeah, I'm prepared to take whatever advice she wants to give.

Marry her. If she says no, just make sure you always take your cars to her and recommend your friends do the same. A good mechanic is truly hard to find.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
They'll sack her soon because she's not turning around jobs quick enough (because she's taking the time to do the job properly).

Try and keep track of where she ends up.

The law of quantum car mechanics states that once observed, a good mechanic will disappear.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've got a mechanic like that too. She's straight up Lisa from My Cousin Vinny. She smokes cigarettes non-stop (the whole crew at her garage does) and she's got a perpetual scowl on her face but I'll be goddamned if she isn't the most honest and ethical business I've ever dealt with. She goes out of her way to explain everything and tell me exactly what is wrong, how much it'll cost to fix it, what my options are, and if I can just keep driving on it for a while before fixing it (I pretty much always can.)

I'm moving at the end of the summer and dreading finding a new mechanic. I'm heading to Salt Lake City too so I feel like it might be extra hard to find a normal person that knows what they are doing.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I have a shop like that too, in NYC of all places. Their time estimated are a little off, by a day or so, but they're honest about what needs to be done and very reasonable prices. I think their time estimates are only off because they are so busy but still try to be optimistic.

We're out on long island now but when something major needs to be done we drive an hour and a half to go to that shop.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've got a mechanic like that too. She's straight up Lisa from My Cousin Vinny.
"What are you working on right now?"

*Points to a Ford and a Holden in bays 2 & 3*

"Deez two utes"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

"What are you working on right now?"

*Points to a Ford and a Holden in bays 2 & 3*

"Deez two utes"

:vince:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Beaten.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Heh, you and me both. I was thisclose to buying a CPO 2014 300C AWD Hemi, but I would have had to cough up about 2K above and beyond my financing. I ended up with a 2015 Sonata Hybrid, which was a steal because it's on the previous generation's platform while all the other Sonatas are new for 2015.

I really couldn't imagine living with a car with so much poo poo to break. Really, when the rear window sunshade dies, or the cupholders no longer heat and cool... screw that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I'm heading to Salt Lake City too so I feel like it might be extra hard to find a normal person that knows what they are doing.

Define "normal".

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I've had a lot of lovely experiences with dealerships before. However, I've had one dealership that was totally awesome. Back in the beginning of '14, we had just bought the Infiniti G-35. We had about just enough downtime for me to change basic stuff like oil, coolant, and so on since it was a private purchase. So we pack up a week's worth of clothes and head out from New Orleans to the Nashville-Bowling Green area to find a place to move. We check into our hotel in Bowling Green, and realize along the drive that we needed to get a weird vibration looked at; and I'm 800 miles away from my tools. The nearest dealership that would work on the car was a small Nissan dealership in a hole-in-the-wall town called Glasgow. So we go in, and discover one of the front wheel bearings is going out. on a Friday night. And they didn't carry Infiniti parts in stock since they work on so few. And now nearest parts-place that carried the part is closing and won't be open to Monday. So I'm stuck with a loaner for the night when I get a phone call at 10 the next morning. They had managed to get the parts-store owner to keep the shop open long enough to get the wheel bearing; and then proceeded to work on it after normal hours to make sure it was ready for me in the morning. Since I was pretty ecstatic about getting the car back so quick, they even offered me a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports from a local tire shop they were friends with for only $500. So I had my car back in less than 24 hours with a courtesy oil change and inspection, new OEM wheel bearing, they removed some locking lug nuts I didn't have a key for (without damaging the wheels or the studs), and new sticky tires for only $875 total.The dealership only made $375 out of the deal, but they managed to treat me like I was their number one customer.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Define "normal".

A "normal" good mechanic, so one who isn't afraid to tell it like it is, uses curse words liberally and will appreciate a 6 pack of beer as a tip after they deal with some of the horrendous salt corroded parts that adorn my vehicles.

Obviously that first part is rare in any region.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
A nearby Toyota dealer has started recommending alignments at 15k, instead of just air filters. How frequently does anyone actually do that? I only align when replacing suspension components or if I notice abnormal wear on my tires (so never).

Can we debate about dealers trying to sell EFI cleaning when the manufacturer recommends against it?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Both of those are upsells and pointless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A "normal" good mechanic, so one who isn't afraid to tell it like it is, uses curse words liberally and will appreciate a 6 pack of beer as a tip after they deal with some of the horrendous salt corroded parts that adorn my vehicles.

Obviously that first part is rare in any region.

You mean a twelve-pack of beer, unless you get it from Wyoming.

(I don't live in Utah, I just saw SLC Punk)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It certainly never hurts to check your alignment.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You mean a twelve-pack of beer, unless you get it from Wyoming.

(I don't live in Utah, I just saw SLC Punk)

Gonna bring some real beer with me when I come, I want them to know what they are missing (I don't even really ever drink but I feel so bad for them.)

Kinda worried about the safety inspections they have in Utah. I know my XJ will pass the emissions tests as it's got a new exhaust system and isn't throwing codes, but it's spent so much time in MN salt that the passenger door is starting to disintegrate and there's yearly safety inspections. Don't want to have to get a new car because this thing is a perfect ski beater, it's mechanically sound, and I really want to take it to moab :getin:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gonna bring some real beer with me when I come, I want them to know what they are missing (I don't even really ever drink but I feel so bad for them.)

Well, just to tie up the segue, the lovely beer situation might be offset a bit by this: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/24/google-fiber-comes-to-salt-lake-city-completion-date-currently-unknown/

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Indeed, that can offset pretty much anything. Hoping it's around by the time I move so I can say goodbye to Comcast for good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

It certainly never hurts to check your alignment.

When we dropped off my friend's Prius for a HV battery replacement, I noticed that the dealer had two alignment rigs embedded over their service entry area. Not with the full lift arrangement either - just mounted in the ceiling and pointed at two lanes of the driveway between the showroom and the service area. Seems like the accuracy problems inherent in that might help sell a lot more alignments.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

The_Raven posted:

Really, when the rear window sunshade dies, or the cupholders no longer heat and cool... screw that.

Please tell me this is mere hyperbole about the useless crap pants-on-head retarded automakers add to their cars these days... Please.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Chrysler had those even back in the halcyon days of Interiors By Playskool. It sticks out in my mind because not only was it magnificently pointless but they crowed about it in every advertisement, possibly because it was the only feature the cars even had that you couldn't also get on a rental-spec Yaris. Which also has heated/cooled cupholders in the form of a cupholder near a vent.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Please tell me this is mere hyperbole about the useless crap pants-on-head retarded automakers add to their cars these days... Please.

Nope, for reals yo. Also had heated - and air conditioned - seats, although it didn't have the fart-sucking seat ventilation system that Mercedes offers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Man, I remember being excited when my new Audi had cupholders. CUPHOLDERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The_Raven posted:

the fart-sucking seat ventilation system that Mercedes offers.

I need this so bad. Probably cost-prohibitive to add...

• Locked thread