Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have some questions that have been bothering me 30 hours in:

1. Is there a way to rotate prefab road connections? I've been having some issue getting these things oriented the way I want them.

2. Is there any way to distinguish what type of property is in demand? And by this I mean, for example, when I'm generically told commercial property is in demand I don't know if it's light commercial, heavy commercial, or offices. Or is it really just a generic demand (and if so that's a huge weakness in the game.

3. What's the deal with, especially early game, with properties that level up to 2, then close down and become abandoned because there aren't enough smart people to level to 3.

Seems to me, businesses just need to not expand then, not close down. It also seems to me that I should be drawing more educated immigrants to fill at least some of those jobs.

4. Is there a recommended light residential layout? I've been giving light residential optimal for 2x2 houses, or 4x4 when I'm making "nice" neighborhoods. Just curious if I'm on the right track there.

Edit

5. Does school location matter? Seems like it doesn't.
1. Right click rotates 45 degrees. Holding right mouse button allows free rotation. Very wonky if you're trying to attach it to an existing road rather than plopping it down freely and connecting the roads afterwards.

2. Generic commercial demand. Offices are industrial demand.

3. Who knows. Maybe the educated people died or there are enough educated workers citywide to cause them to upgrade but they are all working elsewhere already.

4. Maybe. :v:

5. Don't think so. As long as the students can reach them it's fine, I think. But residential are happy to have them close so spreading them out seems like a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Ladies. Gentlemen. I give you...

DIRTOPIA.

I think I may eventually cripple my own computer. Each vehicle launches a dust cloud hahahah.

Good morning Tropico Dirtopia!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have some questions that have been bothering me 30 hours in:

1. Is there a way to rotate prefab road connections? I've been having some issue getting these things oriented the way I want them.

2. Is there any way to distinguish what type of property is in demand? And by this I mean, for example, when I'm generically told commercial property is in demand I don't know if it's light commercial, heavy commercial, or offices. Or is it really just a generic demand (and if so that's a huge weakness in the game.

3. What's the deal with, especially early game, with properties that level up to 2, then close down and become abandoned because there aren't enough smart people to level to 3.

Seems to me, businesses just need to not expand then, not close down. It also seems to me that I should be drawing more educated immigrants to fill at least some of those jobs.

4. Is there a recommended light residential layout? I've been giving light residential optimal for 2x2 houses, or 4x4 when I'm making "nice" neighborhoods. Just curious if I'm on the right track there.

Edit

5. Does school location matter? Seems like it doesn't.

1. Rotate by holding right mouse button and moving the cursor around.
2. Light and Dense Commercial are pretty much interchangeable but not sure how Offices fit in there or they're their own thing.
3. No idea, honestly. I've only had issues with Industry shutting down en-masse because my citizens get too educated and want better jobs. And I solved that by scattering plazas and parks around so those buildings could start upgrading to match the education.
4. Nope, feel free to build however you like.
5. Unsure, I'll let someone else answer this.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Poizen Jam posted:

Has anyone experienced a glitch where they cannot exit a game? Like the Quit 'to main menu' or 'desktop' buttons just don't work?

Yep. Quit to desktop takes forever and then crashes, quit to main menu just closes the pause menu, and now 'load game' doesn't do anything from the pause menu either. Glad I'm not alone I guess :sterv:

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
So has anyone made a soylent green factory yet to recycle the dead?

Solomon Chumby
Dec 31, 2012

simosimo posted:

I had this in my commercial / high level residential areas, it is annoying as it sounds. It's not the level up ding, it's like a low level beeping 'hum' (like sci-fi computers on a 70s spaceship)

I think that's supposed to be the noise that crosswalks make to let blind pedestrians know when it's OK to cross.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Terrible! You can't really see it on the overhead view though, but it's basically got fairly straight connections and one metro station in each district.

With only one station in each area its probably your best bet to ease congestion then. The nice thing about the metro is that unlike the bus system it doesn't trade road traffic for road traffic. Busses see more use in my experience but a bus is still gonna hit those congestion zones. Expand your metro significantly and it should really ease the burden on your highways.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ofaloaf posted:

Good morning Tropico Dirtopia!
You know, the road layout of Vietnamese SA-2 SAM sites would look perfect in this engine. You could have them as an industry reducing the odds of fires simulating US bomber raids.
Hanoi in Motion.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Elman posted:

This is my biggest problem right now:

It worked fine when I had 500 people, okay? :saddowns:

Highway roundabout with sound barriers should help that one. Add in some alternative ways into your town would help too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I've seen several neat looking default commercial high-rises in other people's screenshots. So why is this 2x3 the only commercial tower I seem to be getting in my city?

I mean, its a nice looking building, but c'mon!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Thanks guys! One more question, is there a way to delete bus lines without having to deleting the stops?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ZombieLenin posted:

Thanks guys! One more question, is there a way to delete bus lines without having to deleting the stops?

There should be a button to remove the line if you click on a bus traveling that line, also I'm fairly certain that the Extended Public Transport UI includes that ability.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

RagnarokZ posted:

Add in some alternative ways into your town would help too.
I haven't figured out how to do this, but I'm only a few hours into my first city.

Can you add more highway connections somehow? On the map I'm playing, the highway itself is outside my city area, and I don't think I can purchase that land.

Also, I'm not very good at figuring out what types of roads to use where. 2-lane for light residential, and larger ones for more major roads?

The biggest problem I'm running into is not realizing a road will be heavily traveled until a bunch of homes or businesses have built on it, and then I can't upgrade without bulldozing a bunch of stuff.

Huh, just like real-life cities, I guess. Neat.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

In addition to the other answers, open up the route editor, right click the stops. Viola!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Open transit view using the top left button, click on a line, click delete. No mods needed.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
How do you disable the intro screens ? Very irritating 10-20second wait when testing mods / multiple crashes.

Kinda blows how long it takes form blank maps to load also :(

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I realize this is a cityscaping, traffic-organizing game meant to be played with a fairly distant zoom, but I can't help noticing that 100% of the people are white. Are those assets (along with vehicles) not editable?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a mod that lets me place outflow pipes on land to make poop rivers ?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CaptainRightful posted:

I realize this is a cityscaping, traffic-organizing game meant to be played with a fairly distant zoom, but I can't help noticing that 100% of the people are white. Are those assets (along with vehicles) not editable?

except one dude on the basketball court.

it would be nice to have some more variety one day, not sure if it's on the devs' list yet though. Send them some feedback!

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You need to not be afraid to get demolishy.

Correct. The most important 'mod' in this game is rebinding demolish to a more convenient button/key.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

There should be a button to remove the line if you click on a bus traveling that line, also I'm fairly certain that the Extended Public Transport UI includes that ability.

What if I have a busline that consists purely of a 'broken line' icon that the game keeps bugging me to fix?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
From reading this thread it seems like you guys all play at 3x speed. What's the point? After like half an hour money is effectively infinite even at normal speed so what's the advantage?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bunleigh posted:

From reading this thread it seems like you guys all play at 3x speed. What's the point? After like half an hour money is effectively infinite even at normal speed so what's the advantage?

poo poo gets built quicker

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

TheQat posted:

except one dude on the basketball court.

it would be nice to have some more variety one day, not sure if it's on the devs' list yet though. Send them some feedback!
And he keeps winning the game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bunleigh posted:

Ain't got time to wait, gotta increase the traffic clusterfuck level.

simosimo posted:

How do you disable the intro screens ? Very irritating 10-20second wait when testing mods / multiple crashes.

Try clicking? It still takes some time for the game to load, but the intro is immediately gone.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

pisshead posted:

Correct. The most important 'mod' in this game is rebinding demolish to a more convenient button/key.

What's wrong with B?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It would be an interesting challenge to try a "no eminent domain" mod that explicitly disallows demolishing any occupied building.

By the way, I started using this building capacity realism mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411190402

I added it to my city that was close to unlocking the high density zoning, but not quite there yet. It didn't take long to adjust and didn't destroy my city value or population, but the demand for commercial area dropped off completely.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
:siren:Getting an error now in my new games and current games. :siren:

quote:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]

Details:
No details
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at NetManager.SimulationStepImpl (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManagerBase`2[Manager,Properties].SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at NetManager.ISimulationManager.SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManager.SimulationStep () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimulationManager.SimulationThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I did sub to a few new mods (traffic light, traffic reporp stuff, unlock all zones) and a few new assets but nothing major.

I have unticked all of these mods and the new assets but i'm still getting the error. It REALLY doesn't help that 'Quit to main menu' crashes the game. So each test takes about 5 minutes each time ARGH!

When you untick the custom content in game, do you actually need to press the X to get rid of it? Sucks the error is so generic. Just wasted 45 minutes testing, good thing I finished early to waste this time :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CaptainRightful posted:

It would be an interesting challenge to try a "no eminent domain" mod that explicitly disallows demolishing any occupied building..

You'd just have to de-zone everything for "redevelopment" like they do in real life.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I built a hydro electric dam on the default beaches map in a canyon with a strong current. The dam filled and was providing 120 megawatts. Then a year or so later the river output has slowed to a trickle and then reversed direction, causing my poo poo pipe to become Upstream of my water pipe, infecting everybody. The dam produes no electricity. Is this a bug or do I just not understand?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CaptainRightful posted:

It would be an interesting challenge to try a "no eminent domain" mod that explicitly disallows demolishing any occupied building.

I already do this! It'd be rude to just bulldoze over someone's house while they're still living in it, and I am not a rude mayor! :v:

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

I built a hydro electric dam on the default beaches map in a canyon with a strong current. The dam filled and was providing 120 megawatts. Then a year or so later the river output has slowed to a trickle and then reversed direction, causing my poo poo pipe to become Upstream of my water pipe, infecting everybody. The dam produes no electricity. Is this a bug or do I just not understand?

Dams won't let water through unless its power is required. So if you're in that position, never overexpand (or set up two dams linked to the same grid) unless you know what you're doing. I've done that a dozen times so far and I'm now overly cautious of dams and sewage pipes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

Highway roundabout with sound barriers should help that one.

I tried this before but I didn't want to demolish much, so it was tiny and didn't make much of a difference. This time I went all in:

Works a lot better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aside from aesthetics, does the curvature of a road actually matter? It seems like cars travel at max speed around any type of turn and only stop for lights/traffic.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Inspector_666 posted:

Aside from aesthetics, does the curvature of a road actually matter? It seems like cars travel at max speed around any type of turn and only stop for lights/traffic.

They definitely slow down for sharp angle curves.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah it does, for highway onramps getting the max speed is quite tricky. Try putting an onramp the wrong way (like at a 120 degree angle) and they'll almost come to a complete stop before merging, it slows other traffic coming on as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Is there a mod (or something editable) to add more names for buildings? I'm pretty sure my little town doesn't need twenty-seven ice cube factories.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MikeJF posted:

This. I just wiped out 4 large city blocks because I decided I wanted to turn my city's original small hub...
As seen in the Op!

Into a massive NY Central-Park style thing:

Just remember the words "Eminent Domain, Bitches!" and break out the bulldozers. Besides, its not like you have to compensate all the people whose homes and businesses you're demolishing. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 25, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Someone make bulldozer brush mod already. Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

MickRaider posted:

What's wrong with B?

Means taking a finger of wasd.