Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pennywisdom posted:

I...think I need that.

You know, it's actually not a bad general-purpose sax if you keep the Sex at about 20%. For the price it's pretty great. It's the sax I used on this:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/the-detectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that vst looks like a lot of fun but personally my favorite fake sax is the tenor sax sample from the original mellotron sample sets (which you can get in sampletron and a few other places), obviously much less real but I love the sound of it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

You know, it's actually not a bad general-purpose sax if you keep the Sex at about 20%. For the price it's pretty great. It's the sax I used on this:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/the-detectives

wait.. are there two goons in sydney australia both named dan warren who post in ML? or do you just have two accounts now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Earwicker posted:

that vst looks like a lot of fun but personally my favorite fake sax is the tenor sax sample from the original mellotron sample sets (which you can get in sampletron and a few other places), obviously much less real but I love the sound of it

I have the M-tron, I'm going to have to check this out.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I've never actually checked out Embertone before. Some of theme VSTs sound really really good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have the M-tron, I'm going to have to check this out.

just fyi if you are using it in Ableton you have to use the AU version unfortunately, as the VST version will cause ableton to crash every single time you either remove the instrument or close the session

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

just fyi if you are using it in Ableton you have to use the AU version unfortunately, as the VST version will cause ableton to crash every single time you either remove the instrument or close the session

Running Logic, AU's are all I use. :smug:

I only really use VSTs/VSTi's in Reaper

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

wait.. are there two goons in sydney australia both named dan warren who post in ML? or do you just have two accounts now?

Hahaha ooops. I've been mainly using this account for everything non-ML for years now, but mostly posting in ML with the other one. I just gently caress up sometimes and post here using this one. They're both me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And so am I.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pennywisdom posted:

I've never actually checked out Embertone before. Some of theme VSTs sound really really good.

Yeah, I own almost their entire catalog. The only one I don't love is the canjo, and that's just because the arpeggiator seems to be borked. I get crackles and dropouts with it all the time. Can't complain too much, though, as it was free. I really ought to get in touch with them about it just to let them know if nothing else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

And so am I.

Tayter Durden, is that you?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Hahaha ooops. I've been mainly using this account for everything non-ML for years now, but mostly posting in ML with the other one. I just gently caress up sometimes and post here using this one. They're both me.

lol I had no idea this account was yours but I have admired the username avatar combo for years

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I started using this account during some LF fuckery I didn't want connected to other account, but then I liked this name/av better so I just kept using it. Then when the Obama thing came out I basically stopped pretending this wasn't me.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Just grabbed the Jubal Flute cause it sounds so cool. That clarinet sounds good too...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have the clarinet and it's really nice. The one thing about their super-detailed instruments is that you can't really use quantization in your DAW and expect it to work perfectly - the legatos and stuff mean that the main body of a note tends to be a little bit behind the actual note start time. That means you need to lay out your track and then move everything forward by some fraction of a beat to get it so that it sounds on time. Not a big deal, but it can throw you off at first.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm running into that with Chipspeech -- really gotta tinker with the notes.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I think it was Flipperwaldt (or possibly Your Computer... but I think Flipperwaldt) who uses/was using Seq24 for something or as part of their workflow.

Flipperwaldt (or Your Computer, or whoever it was): how are you using that, or how did you use it, in the regular case? I feel like it could be useful for me, at least in spots, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to work it in. That causes me to ask the obvious question "well, is it worth figuring out?".

Also, just for some obligatory VST content: I just came across this from an old mention on the AudioMulch forums, while I was trawling for some other info. Haven't used it yet but it looks potentially cool.

http://code.google.com/p/midi-shape-shifter/

EDIT: Also, any tips on how I might be able to actually get a transfer/resold Alchemy license if I don't already have a Camel Audio account? I saw some sales on the KVR forums, but all of them (that I saw) required the buyer to already have an account... which I don't. :(

minidracula fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 26, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

minidracula posted:

I think it was Flipperwaldt (or possibly Your Computer... but I think Flipperwaldt) who uses/was using Seq24 for something or as part of their workflow.

Flipperwaldt (or Your Computer, or whoever it was): how are you using that, or how did you use it, in the regular case? I feel like it could be useful for me, at least in spots, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to work it in. That causes me to ask the obvious question "well, is it worth figuring out?".
Yeah that was me.

Basic idea was using a midi loopback driver to send midi from SEQ24 to VSTHost or directly to a hardware multitimbral synth. If you already have Ableton Live or BitWig or money to spend on those, there's zero point, because the whole concept for me was access to realtime phrase sequencing (aka triggering individual instrument loops vs real pattern based or pure linear sequencing), which is both those DAWs' core concept already.

SEQ24 is very charming in a ultra-minimalist, bare-to-the-bones way. On some Linux platforms it makes sense, because midi routing can be native there. On Windows, a loopback driver is a hack and potentially gives you incurable shoddy midi timing. You've got to be the type to feel exhileration entering nameless cc number events manually for automation and think the restriction to not be able to enter non-quantized notes without playing them live is cool and is going to harden your character.

It can be fun if you're a purist and say your workflow is going to be to first do everything musically and technically you can using midi notes and parameters with dummy instruments and only then to (export the midi and) move on to a real DAW to figure out the matching sounds. It'd be a prime candidate if you were to turn a low power device like a Raspberry Pi into a pseudo hardware sequencer for live midi loop triggering of various hardware synths. It would be great as that. But niche stuff, really.

Personally I've moved on, back to Cubase, with a computer more powerful than a netbook that has no problems running all the vsts I want and working around the lack of RPS with a variety of step sequencer and arpeggiator plugins. I still adore SEQS24, but the mod cons of today's DAWs are great. If SEQ24 came as a midi or VST plugin or even had ReWire support, I'd probably be using it a whole drat lot, but at this point the hassle to link it to another program is too great.

You've made me all nostalgic now. You know how there are these zero-distraction text editors for writers? It's a bit like that for midi.

Maybe if you elaborate a bit more on what you thought you'd get out of it, we can figure out if it's worth pursuing at all, or if there are more suitable alternatives?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey if any of you are about to buy a u-he something-or-other, I've got a coupon code for $50 off that I won't be using. It says "non-transferable" on the tin, but it can't hurt to try.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Soundtoys is giving away free copies of "Little AlterBoy" - a pretty nifty little pitch/autotune-effect plugin - using a "pass it on" kind of code system. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=235-8216-981

Word of warning - their site is getting slammed so it might take several attempts to get it. The promotion is supposed to go on till April 1st.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we were talking about it earlier, the general consensus turned out to be

Tayter Swift posted:

gently caress iLok.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah we were talking about it earlier, the general consensus turned out to be

Whoops - I somehow skipped the whole previous page

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://outputsounds.com/products/signal/

Oh my god, this sounds so good. A friend of mine bought it and he absolutely loves it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Isn't that similar to 8DIO's Hybrid Tools?

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

http://outputsounds.com/products/signal/

Oh my god, this sounds so good. A friend of mine bought it and he absolutely loves it.

So is this the new Dune2/Nexus? Anything in particular that makes this special?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Digital Sound Factory who has the rights to sell the original samples from old E-mu stuff and such has redone their website from scratch, and to celebrate they're giving out a 72-hour 30% discount with the coupon NEWSITE30...

...except the coupon doesn't work and makes the checkout throw a huge red SQL error. Great new site you got there, DSF :thumbsup:

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Digital Sound Factory who has the rights to sell the original samples from old E-mu stuff and such has redone their website from scratch, and to celebrate they're giving out a 72-hour 30% discount with the coupon NEWSITE30...

...except the coupon doesn't work and makes the checkout throw a huge red SQL error. Great new site you got there, DSF :thumbsup:

:( And I've been eyeing their orchestral and piano sounds.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if this is the best thread to ask, but I wasn't sure where else made sense: Anyone in here use Cubase 8? I bought the upgrade ages ago, but I've been tethered to 7.5 for a while due to some projects I couldn't afford to gently caress up in the update. I've finally got some downtime to migrate to 8, but I'm hesitant, since Cubase doesn't have a stellar record of error-free versioning, and someone (I think Radiapathy?) told me there were some major issues in the Windows version of 8.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread to ask, but I wasn't sure where else made sense: Anyone in here use Cubase 8? I bought the upgrade ages ago, but I've been tethered to 7.5 for a while due to some projects I couldn't afford to gently caress up in the update. I've finally got some downtime to migrate to 8, but I'm hesitant, since Cubase doesn't have a stellar record of error-free versioning, and someone (I think Radiapathy?) told me there were some major issues in the Windows version of 8.
I finally bought the upgrade when the 8.0.10 patch came out. Lots of major complaints on the Steinberg forum still, but I'm doing a project with it right now that's for the most part working fine, but it's deffo not as stable as 7.5 is for me.

The problems I've had in the past week with Cubase 8.0:
  • The first time I added a couple instances of McDSP Futzbox, CPU went to nearly 100%, and audio became glitchy. This used to happen with Cubase 7.0 when Asiouard first came out. (Cubase 7.5 vastly improved Asioguard). After quitting Cubase and reloading that project several times since then, however, I haven't seen that problem. CPU utilization has remained low and I haven't switched off Asioguard.
  • I haven't fully troubleshot this issue but at least the last three times I've launched Cubase 8 it hasn't let me use my desktop audio interface (a MOTU Track16). I have to quit Cubase, recycle power on the interface, and then restart Cubase. I don't think I ever had this issue with any previous Cubase versions.
  • At least 50% of the time, when save and close my project, and then quit Cubase, Cubase crashes. This is a problem that surfaced in Cubase 7.5 last year if you had the Steinberg Hub feature enabled, but disabling the hub fixed the problem 100% for me on 7.5, but I don't know if Cubase 8 even has the hub. I haven't ever seen it, so I don't think that's my problem.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tangential: Does anyone remember the name of that DAW that's basically just a modular environment with automation lanes? I feel like it started with the word sound.

e: Audiomulch is what I was thinking of.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 9, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.soundsonline.com/composercloud

So, the East West composers collection is now available on a subscription model. Thoughts?

Two tiers, sort of:

- $30/month gets you 7 packs of your choice, plus an additional pack with every 3 months of service.
- $40/month for everything, as well as all of the new stuff the moment they're released.

Right now, if you're a Soundsonline customer (or a friend of one, and they sent you a coupon/offer), you can get the full $40 version for $30.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

http://www.soundsonline.com/composercloud

So, the East West composers collection is now available on a subscription model. Thoughts?
I resisted digital music purchases until I bought an iPod.

I resisted digital books until I bought a Kindle.

I resisted online video until I ran out of physical space for DVDs and started to see just about all physical media as more of a burden than a boon.

But I still am not at a point where I'm comfortable renting creative software and tools.

I have a licensed copy of Adobe CS4, and it's probably the last Adobe product I will ever own. I don't like the thought of my ability to mold and maintain my personal creative content being held hostage by a software publisher. Even if I've fully given myself over to Digital over Physical, I still feel like I need to own what I use, mainly because I want to be sure that I can still manage my content with it in the future.

Perhaps five years from now things will be different... perhaps I'll simply have no choice.

But where I'm at right now is, gently caress subscriptions.

I'll also add that I have a (hypothetical) technical concern about subscription software in general. Depending on how a subscription works you might kind of be forced into upgrading as the publisher upgrades its tools. Sometimes that's fine, but some upgrades remove features or aren't properly compatible with old content. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to keep all of my existing projects up-to-date with the latest tools just because my subscription plan doesn't support previous versions of the tools.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I can impulse-buy stuff and neglect it and not feel bad about it. I cannot do that with a subscription. If it doesn't see any use, it's going to get cancelled and I'll be looking for alternatives to lie dormant in my toolbox.

Maybe it makes sense in TV and film work? Anywhere time limited where there is going to be some return on investment?

E: Pretty much in the situations when you would otherwise rent an orchestra? Similar to that?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Project based work, yeah

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I took the stuff that's available for the cloud subscription (the gold stuff, not the diamond, but who cares, really?), and added it together in a package. Came out to something like $3820, and that's not even including some stuff that I couldn't add, like the BT packs. I divided that by $30, and it would take someone 127 months (over 10 years) for the subscription to cost that much. Of course, this is assuming you're taking advantage of all of this stuff, and not just loading up Stormdrum to gently caress around once or twice a month.

If I had more regular sound work, I would sign up, at least for a few months. Finish a project, bounce all of the EW tracks to audio files, archive it, done. So you might not be able to edit it once your subscription runs out, but you'll still at least have the actual project. I can absolutely see why one wouldn't want their projects to rely on kind of a revolving debt situation and would prefer to actually own what you buy, but... poo poo, that's a huge selection for the monthly fee.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

If I had more regular sound work, I would sign up, at least for a few months. Finish a project, bounce all of the EW tracks to audio files, archive it, done. So you might not be able to edit it once your subscription runs out, but you'll still at least have the actual project. I can absolutely see why one wouldn't want their projects to rely on kind of a revolving debt situation and would prefer to actually own what you buy, but... poo poo, that's a huge selection for the monthly fee.
I don't dispute that at all. Same with Adobe, frankly- I think their prices are good for what you get. My hesitance with subscriptions is purely practical, not financial. The subscriptions definitely make sense for some folks and projects.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What I can say is that this doesn't need iLok! :toot:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

I resisted digital music purchases until I bought an iPod.

I resisted digital books until I bought a Kindle.

I resisted online video until I ran out of physical space for DVDs and started to see just about all physical media as more of a burden than a boon.

But I still am not at a point where I'm comfortable renting creative software and tools.

I have a licensed copy of Adobe CS4, and it's probably the last Adobe product I will ever own. I don't like the thought of my ability to mold and maintain my personal creative content being held hostage by a software publisher. Even if I've fully given myself over to Digital over Physical, I still feel like I need to own what I use, mainly because I want to be sure that I can still manage my content with it in the future.

Perhaps five years from now things will be different... perhaps I'll simply have no choice.

But where I'm at right now is, gently caress subscriptions.

I'll also add that I have a (hypothetical) technical concern about subscription software in general. Depending on how a subscription works you might kind of be forced into upgrading as the publisher upgrades its tools. Sometimes that's fine, but some upgrades remove features or aren't properly compatible with old content. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to keep all of my existing projects up-to-date with the latest tools just because my subscription plan doesn't support previous versions of the tools.

I'm tempted to give it a shot the next time I have a project that it makes sense for. I'm hoping they eventually do an edu discounted version, but we'll see.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Any other mac users here experiencing problems with Serum?
I have a mid 2013 macbook pro and I'm running the 64 bit version of the VST and playing more than one note at a time overwhelms my processor and causes an awful clipping sound. The weird thing though is that it only does it some of the time. Other times, I can use it for hours without any problems (keeping my CPU usage under 40%/ no clipping).

Would switching to the x86 version resolve this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I get weird behaviour with serum sometimes (in Logic X), the whole project can start skipping/lagging when it hits the bits made with it, but other times it's fine as well. I doubt it's the cpu, I have a high end i5 and the projects cpu levels are generally low. I had a look in their forums and the dude mentioned that in some situations the amount of voices a patch has can escalate into the hundreds/thousands when polyphony and unison are taken into account so that might be the cause.