Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The BBC can't live on fat girls alone.

If I can do it I'm sure they can haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shitshow posted:

Top Gear is one of the most pirated shows worldwide, so I expect the impact to be minimal. And isn't Orphan Black CBC and not BBC?

Top Gear is their most watched show. Losing their most watched show is not going to do anything good for their ad revenue.

Impact will not be 'minimal' it will be rather large. The question is if they will be able to mitigate that.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
James needs to be get on a plane with Oz Clarke and a film crew to Australia and New Zealand immediately

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I feel pretty bad for Wilman and the rest of the producers who now have to figure out how the gently caress to get the show to work now, because if they're gonna renew it for 2016 with new presenters or somehow wrangling Hammond and May back it's gonna piss off people and lose viewers.

At least they are going to try to get those last 3 episodes released.

Also James should do a podcast. His stuff on Head Squeeze's Youtube channel was amusing and I'd listen to a whole drat podcast about that.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

CommieGIR posted:

You think this is cute and insightful. Its not. Keep the reddit level conservatism to yourself.

Uh, that guardian article is loving ridiculous, not because there is anything wrong with being say, an eco-feminist, or wanting a world less full of bigoted commentary. The author of that article has not a clue why a show involving idiots and stupid cars could be compelling entertainment. I'm assuming that your objection is to my pejorative use of the term "SJW" which I'm sorry, has no necessary relevance as not everything need be a platform for social change, particularly, not a loving comedy show, where even the statistics about the cars involved are more than likely nonsense, along with everything else.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
political correctness gone mad

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scrambles posted:

James needs to be get on a plane with Oz Clarke and a film crew to Australia and New Zealand immediately

To drink wine?

Yes, it is known.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blitter posted:

Uh, that guardian article is loving ridiculous, not because there is anything wrong with being say, an eco-feminist, or wanting a world less full of bigoted commentary. The author of that article has not a clue why a show involving idiots and stupid cars could be compelling entertainment. I'm assuming that your objection is to my pejorative use of the term "SJW" which I'm sorry, has no necessary relevance as not everything need be a platform for social change, particularly, not a loving comedy show, where even the statistics about the cars involved are more than likely nonsense, along with everything else.

And if you need any more proof that Top Gear is comedy first and cars second, just check out James May's hat.

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004
perhaps he should just change his name to Jennifer. That way BBC can hire Jennifer Clarkson as the host of Top Gear.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Assault and shouting epithets about race to somebody and political correctness have about as much to do with each other as chalk and cheese.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Zeether posted:

I feel pretty bad for Wilman and the rest of the producers who now have to figure out how the gently caress to get the show to work now, because if they're gonna renew it for 2016 with new presenters or somehow wrangling Hammond and May back it's gonna piss off people and lose viewers.

It doesn't seem like Hammond or May are going to come back given their reactions to the firing, but you never know what the BBC will offer them to try and keep them.

As far as renewing the show, I don't see why the BBC wouldn't try to at least salvage the show for at least one more series given its popularity, but I think they're going to find that it's not going to appeal to the regular top gear audience.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

Assault and shouting epithets about race to somebody and political correctness have about as much to do with each other as chalk and cheese.

Posh Irish people aren't really a race haha. They white as hell.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

and Clarkson can freeze his rear end off in a tent
Yeah but are you gonna volunteer to tell him that now?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Logikv9 posted:

the BBC themselves decided to go for the straight-laced decision and sack him, which while is "correct" is just shooting themselves in the foot in the eyes of the substantial amount of people who support Clarkson.

Yes, and uh, given the facts, gently caress these people. The stress of long filmshoots, the power of showbiz, the influence of alcohol, being a grumpy child, whatever your excuse, there's no reason to punch someone. It's one thing to play a belligerent arsehole on TV, it's entirely different to resort to physical violence, and there should be no doubt about his actions being unacceptable. Clarkson's had enough chances to not be poo poo, and this crosses an entirely new line for him. An entire bingo card of offensiveness and stupidity, and now a punchup? Over some food? Yes, people will support Clarkson because of his personality and fame. And these people need to take another look at what's happened, and then go gently caress themselves.

Oh, and as an afterthought, doublefuck the people holding the producer responsible and giving him grief over it. He has it bad enough already, without being labelled as The Guy Who Killed Top Gear, without having to worry about the possibility of his entire livelihood collapsing, without taking the blame for someone else attacking him. I hope even people who admire Clarkson can say that blaming and hounding Oisin is just not on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

Might want to tell the KKK that.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

It's clear you associate affluence with not being accountable to anything, you don't have to restate it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dammit I just wanted to watch my car show with the funnymen!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
rip Top Gear

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TheDarkFlame posted:

Oh, and as an afterthought, doublefuck the people holding the producer responsible and giving him grief over it. He has it bad enough already, without being labelled as The Guy Who Killed Top Gear, without having to worry about the possibility of his entire livelihood collapsing, without taking the blame for someone else attacking him. I hope even people who admire Clarkson can say that blaming and hounding Oisin is just not on.

On the other hand, he looks like this:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TheDarkFlame posted:

Yes, and uh, given the facts, gently caress these people. The stress of long filmshoots, the power of showbiz, the influence of alcohol, being a grumpy child, whatever your excuse, there's no reason to punch someone. It's one thing to play a belligerent arsehole on TV, it's entirely different to resort to physical violence, and there should be no doubt about his actions being unacceptable. Clarkson's had enough chances to not be poo poo, and this crosses an entirely new line for him. An entire bingo card of offensiveness and stupidity, and now a punchup? Over some food? Yes, people will support Clarkson because of his personality and fame. And these people need to take another look at what's happened, and then go gently caress themselves.

People want to eat their sausage and don't care how it gets made.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

People want to eat their sausage and don't care how it gets made.

I guess Food Standards aren't an issue anymore?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

It's clear you associate affluence with not being accountable to anything, you don't have to restate it.

They're both affluent you poo poo. I just think people should man up and have a fight then draw a line under it if that's what needs to happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

They're both affluent you poo poo. I just think people should man up and have a fight then draw a line under it if that's what needs to happen.

Pistols at dawn, right? What year are you living in again?

Blitter posted:

The article sucks, yes.

Using the term SJW is just as reprehensible because it assume that it should be acceptable to not condemn social issues. Its a term almost entirely only used by Conservatives and Mens Right Activists. Think about it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2015

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

Yep. Equally ridiculous are grown rear end men in this thread using "SJW". It's a triumvirate of embarrassment.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Maybe it will help the next Top Gear hosts if we list out things it is acceptable to hit people for according to The Internet:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Hoping that Chris Harris is sending as many copies of his resume as he can to BBC HQ at the moment.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

This sentence has a Burberry hat, social disorder issues and an extra chromosome. No, and no.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DOOMocrat posted:

Yes, a punch and a name calling is worth sabotaging a program that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars. :bravo:

Bunch of loving pussies that have lost any sense of reality. Our countries blow up families on a regular basis and people get wound up about an old man throwing a punch.

Bape Culture posted:

Yup. Fighting is a way to solve petty problems, believe it or not.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

This sentence has a Burberry hat, social disorder issues and an extra chromosome. No, and no.

Hahaha. And so does the real world I'm afraid.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

DOOMocrat posted:

Says the guy with the ice hockey av.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. And so does the real world I'm afraid.

We stopped doing duels in the 1800s. Only a child thinks that fist fights are acceptable ways to mediate a disagreement.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Yes, a punch and a name calling is worth sabotaging a program that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars. :bravo:

Bunch of loving pussies that have lost any sense of reality. Our countries blow up families on a regular basis and people get wound up about an old man throwing a punch.

I don't recall saying anywhere that people shouldn't be upset about both, but okay man just crack the window when your motor's running rich next time.

dsriggs posted:

Says the guy with the ice hockey av.

At least punches tend to be consentual in the NHL. Oh, and by athletes. During a sport. Without surprise. Sober. Good one, man.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dsriggs posted:

Hoping that Chris Harris is sending as many copies of his resume as he can to BBC HQ at the moment.

Chris Harris, Jethro Bovington and Dickie Meaden would be a pretty bitchin' host lineup.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

We stopped doing duels in the 1800s. Only a child thinks that fist fights are acceptable ways to mediate a disagreement.

Lol okay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Life =/= Hockey

meatpimp posted:

For Hire - Producer for BBC

Requirements
- Bachelors or Equivalent in Media Production
- Willingness to work extremely long hours to meet production deadlines
- Willingness to take verbal and physical abuse

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Edit: doublepost

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Force should only be used when it's one nation blowing up another nations faceless people. In person-to-person interaction, words are the only way to settle things. Curious, this.

CommieGIR posted:

For Hire - Producer for BBC

Requirements
- Bachelors or Equivalent in Media Production
- Willingness to work extremely long hours to meet production deadlines
- Willingness to take verbal and physical abuse

These are the requirements for so many jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Force should only be used when it's one nation blowing up another nations faceless people. In person-to-person interaction, words are the only way to settle things. Curious, this.

Yes, because military action is considered the last line of international diplomacy.

Bitching someone out for 20 minutes because its too late to get a hot meal and then punching them in the face does not call for violent diplomacy.

meatpimp posted:

These are the requirements for so many jobs.

For the military maybe. Or a sweatshop.

Not a media production studio