Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Now seeing an article on TPM about Cruz shittalking Goldman's crony capitalism today. His wife has worked there as a managing director (she is on unpaid leave to work on his campaign or something)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-criticism-goldman-sachs-wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Today the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. You know it used to be it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier." ~ Ted Cruz.
Interestingly, even the part someone might think he got right, is most likely wrong.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

true.spoon posted:

Interestingly, even the part someone might think he got right, is most likely wrong.

That's why it's hilarious.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

With Cruz you never know if he's being an idiot or this is his calculated scheme and he knows the facts are wrong but it's what he believes the base wants to hear. Like when he didn't get the moral of a children's book.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Shifty Pony posted:

Or a long stream of 1II111II... which speaks to your belief that we are all similar when it comes down to it.

Already exists in most variants, to foil red light cameras.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Radish posted:

With Cruz you never know if he's being an idiot or this is his calculated scheme and he knows the facts are wrong but it's what he believes the base wants to hear. Like when he didn't get the moral of a children's book.

All I know is that when I read that I heard a loud popping noise, had a bit of trouble recognizing my surroundings and then came to acceptance and eager anticipation to debate soundbites. The man is either offensively stupid or is very good at appealing to the offensively stupid (its both) which seems to be a Texas politician trademark, Im starting to think he is best in class and that includes Dubya.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's why it's hilarious.

That's only like 50% of why it's hilarious; even if he were right and everyone used to believe in a Flat Earth, it's still a bunch of people not believing the scientist, and so his analogy is completely backwards.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So this is the worst hagiography of the Koch's I've seen in a while: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/mark-holden-wants-you-to-love-the-koch-brothers-114509971631.html. It reads like a pr piece.

I can link a lot about the Kochs. But here's something that caught my eye last year, and it looks like it resolved itself a couple of months ago. The power of money, on the local level.

quote:

Nashville’s bid to build its first high-capacity transit line is dead, the Tennessean is reporting today. It’s a victory for the Koch brothers-funded local chapter of Americans for Prosperity and a defeat for the city’s near-term hopes of transitioning to less congested, more sustainable streets.

The project, known as the Amp, called for a 7-mile busway linking growing East Nashville to downtown and parts of the city’s west end. Civic leaders hoped it would be the first of many high-capacity bus routes that would help make the growing city more attractive and competitive.

But Mayor Karl Dean, facing organized opposition to the project, announced late last year that he would not try to start building the Amp before he leaves office later in 2015. This week the city’s leading transit official made it official and stopped design work on the Amp, The Tennessean reports.

The opposition group “Stop Amp” was led by local car dealership impresario Lee Beaman and limousine company owner Rick Williams, according to the Tennessean. The group also had help from the Koch brothers, with the local chapter of Americans for Prosperity introducing a bill in the State Senate that would have outlawed dedicated transit lanes throughout Tennessee. Opponents fell short of that, but Republicans in the legislature were a constant obstacle to the project’s funding.

Transit supporters in Nashville are now left to pick up the pieces and figure out what comes next. “We’ve never come so far in bringing this level of mass transit to Nashville, and we have to continue the conversation to make it a reality,” Dean said in a statement last week.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/01/23/the-koch-brothers-win-nashville-abandons-amp-brt-plans/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Today the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. You know it used to be it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier." ~ Ted Cruz.

:ironicat:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

So this is the worst hagiography of the Koch's I've seen in a while: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/mark-holden-wants-you-to-love-the-koch-brothers-114509971631.html. It reads like a pr piece.

I can link a lot about the Kochs. But here's something that caught my eye last year, and it looks like it resolved itself a couple of months ago. The power of money, on the local level.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/01/23/the-koch-brothers-win-nashville-abandons-amp-brt-plans/

So I get the car salesmen but why are the Koch involved? Do they hate the poors that much?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dante Logos posted:

So I get the car salesmen but why are the Koch involved? Do they hate the poors that much?

It is with no sense of irony that the group is called 'Americans for Prosperity'

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dante Logos posted:

One could point to Koch Industries being the largest refiner and crude oil gatherer in the US, responsible for importing 25% of Canadian oil sands. But its probably just as likely a matter of ideology.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Dante Logos posted:

They hate all public services. This is another example of how effective the Koch organization (Americans for Prosperity) is becoming nationwide as a permanent political operation.

They have all of these local chapters in like 37 states running 24/7 even in off-election years. Phone calls, door knocks, GOTV operations which they keep getting better at ever year. It will be like the GOP having a permanent and better OFA in 37 states.

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Koch brothers are literal Captain Planet villains.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boon posted:

I remember in 2010, as I was leaving Wisconsin, I knew Jim Doyle would not win reelection as a fallout of the collapse. I knew it was going to take a turn for the worse, but never did I think that Wisconsin would more closely resemble Kansas than it does Minnesota.

Now that I'm preparing to go back to school almost six years later, I realize that I don't want to tie myself to that state and will be heading to U of M instead. Maybe someday, but I just don't think Wisconsin has anything to offer me anymore unless I decide to someday run for office there. Sad.

Some more Minnesota/Wisconsin related links:

The Unnatural: How Mark Dayton Bested Scott Walker—and Became the Most Successful Governor in the Country

Even the Twin Cities are seeing growing racial equality gaps

EDIT: I tried my damnest, but couldn't find what I think might have been a report on Newshour about neighbors living in neighboring towns separated by Minnesota/Wisconsin border lines, and the benefits vis-a-vis living in each state. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheQat posted:

Now seeing an article on TPM about Cruz shittalking Goldman's crony capitalism today. His wife has worked there as a managing director (she is on unpaid leave to work on his campaign or something)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-criticism-goldman-sachs-wife

Well, he certainly fits the mold of a sociopath. Dude has literally no shame at all.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Sir Tonk posted:

Well, he certainly fits the mold of a sociopath. Dude has literally no shame at all.

Well, he is Canadian.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bob James posted:

Well, he is Canadian.

This is never going to get old.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Where's the birth certificate, Ted

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

He really is the epitome of a political whore, in my book. His entire school record shows that there's no possible way he could be dumb enough to truly believe the poo poo he spouts. But boy does he make it convincing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Bob James posted:

Well, he is Canadian.

If John Candy were still here he'd go nuts. Ottowan candidate

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

I got so caught up in the absolute backwardness of this analogy that I temporarily forgot that flat-Earthism is not the same thing as geocentrism.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the Kochs are giant baby idiots why will flush their entire industry down the drain in order to fulfill their political dogma. Mass transportation is a HUGE boon to private industry.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

He really is the epitome of a political whore, in my book. His entire school record shows that there's no possible way he could be dumb enough to truly believe the poo poo he spouts. But boy does he make it convincing.

I made this comment in the Freep thread. He's the new Palin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the Kochs are doing ok.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Joementum posted:

From the man who didn't get the moral of Green Eggs and Ham. I am so loving ready for the next year and a half of this. :getin:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the morning #2 - "I mean we have been promised a lot of things these past five years that didn't turn out to be the case — death panels, doom, a serious alternative from Republicans in Congress." ~ Barack Obama, talking about Obamacare.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the morning #2 - "I mean we have been promised a lot of things these past five years that didn't turn out to be the case — death panels, doom, a serious alternative from Republicans in Congress." ~ Barack Obama, talking about Obamacare.

Holy poo poo :drat:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Obama laying the smack down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We're nearing peak Trollbama

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Lame Duck Obama best Obama. Even better than Campaign Obama.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

So he's saying that scientists are still derided and branded heretics for casting doubt on the divine ordination of the planet? I can see that, a whole lot of those big churches insist AGW is a hoax since it's all part of god's plan/preordained cycle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For your enjoyment, here's someone recognizing incognito James O'Keefe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvyLTE9-Pb4

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DaveWoo posted:

For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country. :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I got so caught up in the absolute backwardness of this analogy that I temporarily forgot that flat-Earthism is not the same thing as geocentrism.

That's what I particularly enjoyed about the quote.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

He sadly missed an opportunity to bring up project dildo boat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Most people also forget that Galileo was a colossal rear end in a top hat and made enemies with people in the Church that were otherwise fine with his ideas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Most people also forget that Galileo was a colossal rear end in a top hat and made enemies with people in the Church that were otherwise fine with his ideas.

As long as those ideas were presented equally, they were still of the opinion that the Church was right, they just were not willing to throw him into bondage over his ideas yet.

I mean, lest we forget Giordano Bruno...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

O'Keefe did land another "bombshell" today, turning his sights on those notorious bastions of evil liberals and terrorist sympathizers: Ivy League universities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

As long as those ideas were presented equally, they were still of the opinion that the Church was right, they just were not willing to throw him into bondage over his ideas yet.

I mean, lest we forget Giordano Bruno...

What does condemnation for the denial of Christ and the promotion of pantheism and Arianism have to do with this?

• Locked thread