Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bruno want really doing any science though, he was claiming to have had religious visions and revelations. I think they were more upset about his claiming he has revealed a new truth of God then they were of him claiming against geocentricism. He just got lucky in that regard.

Obviously his treatment was horrible regardless, but he was just another religious guy having kooky visions that happened to be somewhat closer to reality than the style of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goon project y'all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Goon project y'all.

Don't give 100,000 dollars to Jeb Bush.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Don't give 100,000 dollars to Jeb Bush.

Dude look where it's at.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

Lame Duck Obama best Obama. Even better than Campaign Obama.

I think they're one in the same. It's really just Nothing to Lose Obama.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Bush is Back: Invade Iraq!

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

greatn posted:

Bruno want really doing any science though, he was claiming to have had religious visions and revelations. I think they were more upset about his claiming he has revealed a new truth of God then they were of him claiming against geocentricism. He just got lucky in that regard.

Obviously his treatment was horrible regardless, but he was just another religious guy having kooky visions that happened to be somewhat closer to reality than the style of the time.

He wasn't wrong.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

zoux posted:

Goon project y'all.

Finally, an affordable chance for the common man to mingle with a Bush.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

As long as those ideas were presented equally, they were still of the opinion that the Church was right, they just were not willing to throw him into bondage over his ideas yet.

I mean, lest we forget Giordano Bruno...

Yeah being killed for being a closet Arian. The church killed him for a reason it killed alot of other people, not for believing Copernicus.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Eagerly awaiting Bush the 5th to declare war on neo-Iraq in 2050 for the 5th time and everyone wonders why they didn't see this coming again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Logikv9 posted:

Eagerly awaiting Bush the 5th to declare war on neo-Iraq in 2050 for the 5th time and everyone wonders why they didn't see this coming again.
Yeah it's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme. Every stanza sort of rhymes with the last one.

Hopefully it'll work.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Star Man posted:

Most people also forget that Galileo was a colossal rear end in a top hat and made enemies with people in the Church that were otherwise fine with his ideas.

And he probably would have gotten away with it too if he hadn't written a dialogue book explaining his ideas where he was cool and smart and the pope was a blithering moron.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah it's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme. Every stanza sort of rhymes with the last one.

Hopefully it'll work.

Not sure if it was intentional or not but Mark Twain once said that "history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

baw posted:

Not sure if it was intentional or not but Mark Twain once said that "history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Callsign of a history podcast I listen to, too.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

baw posted:

I am 99% sure Spiderhyphenman is referencing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

FlamingLiberal posted:

We're nearing peak Trollbama

I doubt it. I'm sure hoping not. We've got a year and a half to go.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Franco Potente posted:

I am 99% sure Spiderhyphenman is referencing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Hah that's even better.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hopefully it'll work.

It's gonna be great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the morning #2 - "I mean we have been promised a lot of things these past five years that didn't turn out to be the case — death panels, doom, a serious alternative from Republicans in Congress." ~ Barack Obama, talking about Obamacare.

gently caress. Yes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Bowe Bergdahl has been officially charged with desertion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Commence the right-wing indignance

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

It's gonna be great.

What is it with Ricks?

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 25, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Oh good, I can count on tons of angry fb postings by people on/adjacent to my friends list

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JT Jag posted:

Where's the birth certificate, Ted

No, no. Where's the essay he wrote renouncing Canadian citizenship?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard he doesn't use Pace Picante, he uses the other stuff.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm not gonna say it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I heard he doesn't use Pace Picante, he uses the other stuff.

NEW YORK CITY!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

NEW YORK CITY!!

Get a rope.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

"Kooky visions" are also responsible for the unraveling of the structure of the double-helix and the collective unconsciousness.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hopefully it'll work.

It'll be great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shageletic posted:

"Kooky visions" are also responsible for the unraveling of the structure of the double-helix and the collective unconsciousness.

Pretty sure Jung is more kooky than science.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any Day Now

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Always love the requests from millionaires for average types to donate to their campaigns.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

What is he referring to when he talks about a "relentless campaign of terror against U.S. troops"? I was unaware there's ever been an engagement between US/Iran soldiers?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I have no goddamned idea what I'm talking about. Ignore this.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Always love the requests from millionaires for average types to donate to their campaigns.

Seriously it's really, oooooh hold on I have an urgent message from Barack in my inbox

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Joementum posted:

A thousandth scandal has hit the White House, Begoniaghazi.

Also acceptable: Waterlilygate, Chrysantequiddick, Columbine. The point is, WHAT IS SHE HIDING BEHIND THAT FLORAL ARRANGEMENT?!?!

For once, reading the comments on an article turned out to be a good idea.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 25, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boon posted:

What is it with Ricks?

The resemblance is uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Looks like Bergdahl is being charged with desertion. Brace yourselves for an avalanche of furious masturbating as old white dudes fall over each other yelling at Obama for sacrificing 150,000,000 American lives to get this traitor back and handing over 50 Osama Bin Ladens back to ISIS in the process.

E: poo poo, beaten bad

• Locked thread