Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Man, social progress sucks, how do we go back to Jim Crow and Women being told to shutup in public?

Yes, because that's literally what this is about.

And it's still okay to tell people to shut up in public, whether male or female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, modern SJWs are brave humanitarians fighting for the rights of the dhahahahah just kidding they just want to be "more equal" than the dirty white cis males.

I guess we're at the climax of social progress then. Nothing more to do, everyone go about your work.

Seriously, either you are trolling or you are being deliberately dense.

meatpimp posted:

Yes, because that's literally what this is about.

And it's still okay to tell people to shut up in public, whether male or female.

Again, anyone using SJW as a derogatory word is just tooting their own horn.

Back to the topic at hand: Those damned victims, amirite?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 25, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Top Gear thread has somehow turned into being about ethics in automotive televised journalism. I mean, it's not like you can talk about new episodes anymore.

Clarkson's an idiot. The BBC are idiots. Everyone everywhere is an idiot. I think that covers all of your bases.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

Clarkson's an idiot. The BBC are idiots. Everyone everywhere is an idiot. I think that covers all of your bases.

Yup, that covers it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Again, anyone using SJW as a derogatory word is just tooting their own horn.

All you are doing is throwing out accusations, then sidestepping responses with misdirection.

SJW is a legitimate term for a specific type of person. If you choose to see it as derogatory, that's your interpretation. :toot:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

meatpimp posted:

SJW is a legitimate term for a specific type of person.

'Specific type of person' = anyone you disagree with regarding social issues

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comrade Flynn posted:

:qq: That poor defenseless grown man :qq:

There's this thing called "appropriate workplace and professional conduct" and what Clarkson did wasn't anywhere remotely near it. It doesn't matter how unhurt the dude was or whatever.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I do wonder what is with SJWs infatuation with calling people elementary school names. Pissbabies, shitlords, etc.

Anyone who uses the term SJW unironically is a troglodyte retard poopyface.

But seriously, it belies a depressing amount of ignorance more often than not. Even among people way smarter than the GamerGate set.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

SJW is a legitimate term for a specific type of person. If you choose to see it as derogatory, that's your interpretation. :toot:

Pretty sure that is how he was using it. I don't think he was trying to refer to Gandhi or MLK. Arguing that he was legitimately trying to use the term as a compliment is most assuredly misdirection.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There's this thing called "appropriate workplace and professional conduct" and what Clarkson did wasn't anywhere remotely near it. It doesn't matter how unhurt the dude was or whatever.

Seriously, I cannot imagine the sort of HR department these people would run.

"Your boss punched you in the face and berated you for 20 minutes prior while threatening to fire you? Suck it up you big baby. Sure, we've got an HR file on him a mile wide, but you need to be the bigger man"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 25, 2015

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you're expecting people (the talent) in the entertainment industry to conform to the same standards of conduct as regular people in regular workplaces then I don't know where you find enough hours in the day for all the outrage you must feel.

I mean they SHOULD, but they don't and they never will.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Symphoric posted:

If you're expecting people (the talent) in the entertainment industry to conform to the same standards of conduct as regular people in regular workplaces then I don't know where you find enough hours in the day for all the outrage you must feel.

In the US, the talent industry is held to a 'different' standard than the rest of the world, and allowed to get away with it because the US crowd THRIVES on drama, there is an entire industry that lives off the personal drama of US stars, and so US Media Groups stick to levying fines and smacking hands (mostly because a lot of these same Media moguls own the media groups that publish the drama bombs)

The BBC generally does not, and made it pretty clear in the past that there was a line in the sand for Clarkson, as this was not his first incident.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

And if this was a first offense, that would be a point.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Symphoric posted:

I suspect a year or so from now that production team is going to be longing for the days when Jeremy Clarkson used to punch them once in a while. I know the internet has made everyone under the age of forty painfully sheltered, but in the real world people do emotional things and punches get thrown and for the most part it gets smoothed over with an apology and a handshake and then life goes on.

I really have to wonder how many people ITT hold a steady job. In the real world with a real job, if you punch one of your co-workers, you will get fired and probably have criminal charges brought against you. I honestly can't believe people are rationalizing a grown man berating and punching someone because there wasn't a meal waiting for him at a hotel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CommieGIR posted:

"Your boss punched you in the face and berated you for 20 minutes prior while threatening to fire you? Suck it up you big baby. Sure, we've got an HR file on him a mile wide, but you need to be the bigger man"

If you'd sacrifice someone crucial to your organization over what is, in essence, a fairly minor issue that was resolved without getting HR involved, when there are other options available, you'd be a fairly bad HR director too.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, I cannot imagine the sort of HR department these people would run.

Probably HR departments of a successful company because we would understand you, under no circumstances, fire the single person responsible for holding your company together.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

The Top Gear thread has somehow turned into being about ethics in automotive televised journalism. I mean, it's not like you can talk about new episodes anymore.

Oh boy a new set of insufferable assholes that feel that violence, threats and general abuse are just two tools to be used in getting poo poo done.

I can't wait for the inevitable GBS thread full of insightful posts from people that struggle with the concept that other people have feelings.

E:

Comrade Flynn posted:

Probably HR departments of a successful company because we would understand you, under no circumstances, fire the single person responsible for holding your company together.

"Look, Sophie, I know the CEO molested you in the employee break room, but you gotta understand, he's the only one who can do this job! You can't possibly remove the only person that can run this company! Think of all the lives you'll ruin!"

Also for all of you idiots who actually think that leadership means dick please look at Apple post Steve Job's death. They'll find new hosts for your car show, you babies.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The guy with the Lamborghini definitely doesn't know anything about jobs or success :newlol:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

kylej posted:

I really have to wonder how many people ITT hold a steady job. In the real world with a real job, if you punch one of your co-workers, you will get fired and probably have criminal charges brought against you. I honestly can't believe people are rationalizing a grown man berating and punching someone because there wasn't a meal waiting for him at a hotel.
:lol: if you think this situation can be compared to any normal job at all

this is more like a record label firing their top selling artist

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kylej posted:

Well, first of all, assault usually requires the victim to press charges against the offender, so, no. I don't think what Jeremy did was right or appropriate, I just don't think there's a clear case to be made that he simply must be fired.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Wait wait wait this was all about some sausage rolls? What the hell, Jeremy. Sausage rolls are delicious.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

The guy with the Lamborghini definitely doesn't know anything about jobs or success :newlol:

I've beaten my way to the top.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

Good thing you live in the US, in the UK you would have been sacked.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

Same. Also i HATE cold meats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

So the BBC is closing? gently caress, someone get Clarkson on the phone!

PT6A posted:

If you'd sacrifice someone crucial to your organization over what is, in essence, a fairly minor issue that was resolved without getting HR involved, when there are other options available, you'd be a fairly bad HR director too.

Again, this is not how media production companies are structured, nor how they work. The BBC is not going to collapse due to this, and shows come and go all the time, and it affects the entire staff, but generally not the production company.

Kenshin posted:

this is more like a record label firing their top selling artist

Label's do this all the time. The production companies don't care, they generally have a boatload of cash they are sitting on to find the next top talent that sells.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ripoff posted:

Oh boy a new set of insufferable assholes that feel that violence, threats and general abuse are just two tools to be used in getting poo poo done.

I can't wait for the inevitable GBS thread full of insightful posts from people that struggle with the concept that other people have feelings.

I think that if I had the decision making capability at the BBC I would have sacked him so loving hard because he hosed up, and it wasn't the first time he hosed up.

What I am saying is that all of you people with this spouting of SJWs or ACRONYMS need to relax. I liked it better when the discussion was about the future of Top Gear / the hosts, and maybe some remembrance for the last 22 series worth of awesomeness. Shut up about who was at fault, you can't unsack him now.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Car show host leaves, 100 year run of BBC to immediately cease

#justgoonthings

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Again, this is not how media production companies are structured, nor how they work. The BBC is not going to collapse due to this, and shows come and go all the time, and it affects the entire staff, but generally not the production company.

... but but but my car show :reddit:

Logikv9 posted:

I think that if I had the decision making capability at the BBC I would have sacked him so loving hard because he hosed up, and it wasn't the first time he hosed up.

What I am saying is that all of you people with this spouting of SJWs or ACRONYMS need to relax. I liked it better when the discussion was about the future of Top Gear / the hosts, and maybe some remembrance for the last 22 series worth of awesomeness. Shut up about who was at fault, you can't unsack him now.

Congratulations, you are a normal human being that seems like a good person to associate with. I would've fired Clarkson so hard and never regretted it for a second. gently caress Hammond and May as well, they're showing solidarity with a lovely man-child that thinks that violence is an acceptable response to having to eat cold cuts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Symphoric posted:

Dude, two of my roommates are media interns and one of my best friends from high school is an assistant producer with NBC. I did a theater internship in college. I know how the entertainment industry works vis-a-vis talent and I'm definitely not outraged by the "poor defenseless producer's" treatment (aside from the harassment he's been getting from fans).

Here's the thing though: they had a whole mess of witnesses. While Jezza's conduct and politics outside the show have always rubbed me the wrong way, I've been a steady fan for years and I'm definitely not crying that he should have been fired. But what would you expect?

It's totally not right that workplace abuse is pretty much the norm in entertainment, but there's a huge difference between "it happens behind closed doors and everyone working there just accepts it as the nature of the beast and moves on" and "it happened publicly in the presence of bystanders." You can't just brush that under the rug and not get pilloried for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dude, two of my roommates are media interns and one of my best friends from high school is an assistant producer with NBC. I did a theater internship in college. I know how the entertainment industry works vis-a-vis talent and I'm definitely not outraged by the "poor defenseless producer's" treatment (aside from the harassment he's been getting from fans).

Here's the thing though: they had a whole mess of witnesses. While Jezza's conduct and politics outside the show have always rubbed me the wrong way, I've been a steady fan for years and I'm definitely not crying that he should have been fired. But what would you expect?

It's totally not right that workplace abuse is pretty much the norm in entertainment, but there's a huge difference between "it happens behind closed doors and everyone working there just accepts it as the nature of the beast and moves on" and "it happened publicly in the presence of bystanders." You can't just brush that under the rug and not get pilloried for it.

I briefly worked with a production team for managing their IT assets.

The turnover rate and boom/bust rate is INCREDIBLY high. And it never goes down. Most of the friends I know who work in production keep a hefty savings, and pack any excess into that savings as often as possible.

If you are lucky enough to work on a fairly long term gig, even then the turnover rate among production staff is fairly high, as new projects present new opportunities to move on. You do not want to stagnate your career on one show, as the more work you do in varied fields, the more likely you are to get hired for a new project.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 25, 2015

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So basically Jeremy was an idiot for drinking himself pissfaced, behaving badly and having fistcuffs with an underling. The producers (especially the one that was beaten) was an idiot for not taking taking the money and shutting up, while BBC was an idiot for not burying the case with money, but sticking to a principle hastly set up after series of previous scandals, costing them the key talent (the hosts) and probably their best franchise, plus 50 M yearly profit. James and Richard were idiots for getting blackout drunk, not following the evening schedule and not intervening before Jeremy decided to forward with the boxing match, now getting kicked out BBC.

So. BBC is out of three talents and one 50 M paycheck, the Top Gear trio is kicked out of their most valuable gig and basically everyone involved with the Top Gear production got shafted because of principles at the BBC head office. And anyone taking over the show, which now are damaged goods, as a replacement host will be called a massive tool or at best, "not as good as the others", probably sinkingtheir career as the "host that tanked Top Gear".

And the sheltered people are idiots for thinking that everyone has to follow the same rules at the show business, or business in general. This just got too big to sweep under the rug because of BBC being loving muppets with the talent and publicity management. People who leave their houses once in a while tend to get drunk, do stupid stuff with or without being drunk and then make amends without going full-blown seppuku to preserve the honor of their family or company. One old rear end misbehaved badly, and now to preserve the honor and the new-found principles, everyone lost their jobs, and the parent company lost a fuckton of money. How does that help anyone?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jeremy should have done the current US mea culpa and checked himself into rehab for a couple months, turning the sympathy towards him, then he would have been welcomed back with open arms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

meatpimp posted:

Jeremy should have done the current US mea culpa and checked himself into rehab for a couple months, turning the sympathy towards him, then he would have been welcomed back with open arms.

Rehab in this case being three months in the English countryside, drinking whisky and shooting pheasant.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

How does that help anyone?

That's the beauty of it! EVERYONE loses! Well, except for the eight or so people in the world who think Top Gear can still be the most popular show in the world with an entirely new cast of hosts.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

So basically Jeremy was an idiot for drinking himself pissfaced, behaving badly and having fistcuffs with an underling. The producers (especially the one that was beaten) was an idiot for not taking taking the money and shutting up, while BBC was an idiot for not burying the case with money, but sticking to a principle hastly set up after series of previous scandals, costing them the key talent (the hosts) and probably their best franchise, plus 50 M yearly profit. James and Richard were idiots for getting blackout drunk, not following the evening schedule and not intervening before Jeremy decided to forward with the boxing match, now getting kicked out BBC.

So. BBC is out of three talents and one 50 M paycheck, the Top Gear trio is kicked out of their most valuable gig and basically everyone involved with the Top Gear production got shafted because of principles at the BBC head office. And anyone taking over the show, which now are damaged goods, as a replacement host will be called a massive tool or at best, "not as good as the others", probably sinkingtheir career as the "host that tanked Top Gear".

And the sheltered people are idiots for thinking that everyone has to follow the same rules at the show business, or business in general. This just got too big to sweep under the rug because of BBC being loving muppets with the talent and publicity management. People who leave their houses once in a while tend to get drunk, do stupid stuff with or without being drunk and then make amends without going full-blown seppuku to preserve the honor of their family or company. One old rear end misbehaved badly, and now to preserve the honor and the new-found principles, everyone lost their jobs, and the parent company lost a fuckton of money. How does that help anyone?

Most of these people don't understand how the real world actually works. They just see black and white cause->effect. Person hits someone, so person must be fired!

The only person that will come out ahead here is...Clarkson. He'll probably go on to make far, far more at Netflix while being freed of his contract. Top Gear will tank, BBC will lose a ton of money, and the producer will be almost unemployable.

But good job justice crusaders, you've won the day and justice was served!!! :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Der Kyhe posted:

Please explain how they are supposed to sweep something under the rug when there's a hotel full of witnesses?

Also, speaking as a professional drunkard, alcohol is not a valid excuse for assault, ever.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Most of these people don't understand how the real world actually works. They just see black and white cause->effect. Person hits someone, so person must be fired!

The only person that will come out ahead here is...Clarkson. He'll probably go on to make far, far more at Netflix while being freed of his contract. Top Gear will tank, BBC will lose a ton of money, and the producer will be almost unemployable.

But good job justice crusaders, you've won the day and justice was served!!! :allears:

I think I just saw the real world working, and the dude got canned.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There's only one valid choice for the new host of Top Gear, and it's Taki Inoue.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Clarkson is for sure an rear end in a top hat but that show was awesome and I wish they'd found a way to keep it going, pay the producer off or whatever. I literally don't give a poo poo and just want to watch the show. Top Gear is full blown dead to me without that trio of hosts. I hope he lands on HBO/Netflix and keeps saying offensive awesome poo poo.

Also, find me a more punchable face than this Oisin guy. You can't do it. His is the most puncahble face in the world.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Did you read anything from the last, like, 5 pages? The producer who got punched was like the first person trying to cover it up. He didn't even want a payday or anything (not that any was probably offered). At least based on his public statements, he was pretty cool-headed about the incident and felt like it got resolved between them more-or-less immediately (probably because he's Irish).

Also, everyone is forgetting that the BBC is a publicly-funded institution that essentially answers to the government. They're not exactly afforded the same leeway that private broadcasters have WRT things like settlements and whatnot.

Also, what the hell are you on about "people thinking that everyone has to follow the same rules in business in general" ? Yes, there are rules for how your average company should behave and they exist for very good reasons, as much as Paul Ryan would try to argue otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm annoyed I won't be able to watch pretty much the only BBC programme I watch any longer*. Not getting involved with any of the other nonsense going on in this thread, it's like some kind of Poe's Law tournament.

*If TG returns in another form, I will give it a try, but I'm dubious of how well it'll work. If Clarkson, May, and Hammond all start up something new elsewhere, I'll definitely be seeing what it's like.