Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Cubey posted:

Please explain how they are supposed to sweep something under the rug when there's a hotel full of witnesses?

Also, speaking as a professional drunkard, alcohol is not a valid excuse for assault, ever.

Professional drunkards are better than your average red-pill popping goon that believes that flipping out on someone and throwing punches at them is an acceptable response for serving you lunchmeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Clarkson is for sure an rear end in a top hat but that show was awesome and I wish they'd found a way to keep it going, pay the producer off or whatever. I literally don't give a poo poo and just want to watch the show. Top Gear is full blown dead to me without that trio of hosts. I hope he lands on HBO/Netflix and keeps saying offensive awesome poo poo.

Also, find me a more punchable face than this Oisin guy. You can't do it. His is the most puncahble face in the world.

Too easy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ripoff posted:

Professional drunkards are better than your average red-pill popping goon that believes that flipping out on someone and throwing punches at them is an acceptable response for serving you lunchmeat.

I don't think anyone's saying it was acceptable, though? We're just saying that automatic sacking was probably unnecessary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Most of these people don't understand how the real world actually works. They just see black and white cause->effect. Person hits someone, so person must be fired!

The only person that will come out ahead here is...Clarkson. He'll probably go on to make far, far more at Netflix while being freed of his contract. Top Gear will tank, BBC will lose a ton of money, and the producer will be almost unemployable.

But good job justice crusaders, you've won the day and justice was served!!! :allears:

Oh relax, you'll get more Clarkson.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cubey posted:

Please explain how they are supposed to sweep something under the rug when there's a hotel full of witnesses?

Also, speaking as a professional drunkard, alcohol is not a valid excuse for assault, ever.

Well, one immediate thought is that why are the talent management people from BBC allowing the stars of their biggest show to get pissfaced in public in the first place?

And of course it isn't, but poo poo happens, and now everyone lost.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't think anyone's saying it was acceptable, though? We're just saying that automatic sacking was probably unnecessary.

No no, we are all "idiot rear end in a top hat manbabies" who think promotions at work should be directly related to how hard you can hit a woman. That's the only explanation for why we disagree!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PT6A posted:

If Clarkson did not have a long record of being a complete rear end in a top hat and had not been warned many times to not be an rear end in a top hat, I'd be inclined to agree that firing him was unnecessary for this one offense. Unfortunately, he was unable to stop being an rear end in a top hat, and took it one step too far this time. I am bummed because I enjoy Top Gear, but this was deserved.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly. I would be fired because I failed to show restraint like a civilized adult, and I would create a hostile and threatening work environment which would be a detriment to everyone else involved. Why is it that Clarkson shouldn't be fired for something like that? Why is it that, when he showed that he couldn't drink like a responsible man and act like a mature adult when something bad happened to him, he gets a free pass to act out like a spoiled child?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

sincx posted:

You know what Clarkson should do if he's smart? Move to Netflix and offer Oisin a position on his new show. Shake hands with him on camera during the first episode. Much better than an apology. I'm sure the guy would take Clarkson up on this--it will be the only way to salvage his career.

This is one of the things that aggravates me the most. By firing Clarkson they've made Oisin into a villian and given them no real way to salvage the situation. If TG went on as is Clarkson could have just stepped out and said "Yeah it was my fault I'm a big fat rear end in a top hat" but now Oisin will forever be the guy that killed Top Gear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DOOMocrat posted:

I think I just saw the real world working, and the dude got canned.

No see, you don't understand he owns a Lambo and plays a lotta videogames and hates paying rich people taxes (in the US, no less :rolleyes:) so his understanding of social issues is way better than yours.

loving liberals amirite?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Symphoric posted:

This is one of the things that aggravates me the most. By firing Clarkson they've made Oisin into a villian and given them no real way to salvage the situation. If TG went on as is Clarkson could have just stepped out and said "Yeah it was my fault I'm a big fat rear end in a top hat" but now Oisin will forever be the guy that killed Top Gear.

There's nothing stopping Clarkson from doing that right this second.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No see, you don't understand he owns a Lambo and plays a lotta videogames and hates paying rich people taxes (in the US, no less :rolleyes:) so his understanding of social issues is way better than yours.

loving liberals amirite?

Please point out where I've ever complained about taxes. Or does that not fit into your idiotic narrative?

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly. I would be fired because I failed to show restraint like a civilized adult, and I would create a hostile and threatening work environment which would be a detriment to everyone else involved. Why is it that Clarkson shouldn't be fired for something like that? Why is it that, when he showed that he couldn't drink like a responsible man and act like a mature adult when something bad happened to him, he gets a free pass to act out like a spoiled child?

Not sure how many times it has to be explained that this is not a typical office job.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did you read anything from the last, like, 5 pages? The producer who got punched was like the first person trying to cover it up. He didn't even want a payday or anything (not that any was probably offered). At least based on his public statements, he was pretty cool-headed about the incident and felt like it got resolved between them more-or-less immediately (probably because he's Irish).
Don't go by the Twitter account, that one's fake.

Clarkson tried to apologize personally and the guy didn't even open the door.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

loving liberals amirite?

Hahaha owned you stupid idiot bitch Lamborghini driving guy!

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Shitshow posted:

There's nothing stopping Clarkson from doing that right this second.
Even if he does 90% of the people who watch Top Gear will never see it because they'll never bother to think beyond "I hate that guy who got Clarkson fired." If it was right there on the show it would be impossible to ignore.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

sincx posted:

The producer was very aware of this and seemed to have done everything possible to cover it up as much as he could.

Hmm. The account is suspended now. Since it wasn't a verified account, are you sure that it was really him? Usually you don't try to sweep something under the rug by posting about it on Twitter...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Symphoric posted:

Reminder: the only sort-of public statement Clarkson has made so far, in addition to some tweets, is to say to a charity auction that this is the fault of the loving BBC execs who have ruined the show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly.

I'm just guessing here but you probably aren't a key talent for a 50M/year profiting product in your company?

Completely detonating or even endangering a huge, huge asset over something this irrelevant (drunked brawl at a post-work pissoff) is not wise business decision, or something that companies would actually do unless they gently caress up badly. These things are something that PR and talent management should take care of, or even better, predict and intercept, neither of which happened here. Yes, it is unfair, but that is how poo poo tends to happen.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Not sure how many times it has to be explained that this is not a typical office job.

"That's show business" is the weakest loving response to an argument of why assaulting other people is wrong. "Well if you didn't want it to happen to you, you shouldn't have been there!" is the same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

CoreDuo posted:

Hmm. The account is suspended now. Since it wasn't a verified account, are you sure that it was really him? Usually you don't try to sweep something under the rug by posting about it on Twitter...

The opposite - sure it was really not him.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ripoff posted:

same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists.

Hahahahaha are you serious?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Have we covered yet how shameful it is to be physically owned by a durnk, corpulent lanky old man yet because drat son. My favorite ending to this is another timeline where the producer slips the punch and lays Clarkson out with a jumping uppercut, on some Little Mac poo poo

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Symphoric posted:

Even if he does 90% of the people who watch Top Gear will never see it because they'll never bother to think beyond "I hate that guy who got Clarkson fired." If it was right there on the show it would be impossible to ignore.

This is pretty big news and I'm sure that substantially more than 10% of the viewers would be aware of a statement should Clarkson choose to make one.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Ripoff posted:

"That's show business" is the weakest loving response to an argument of why assaulting other people is wrong. "Well if you didn't want it to happen to you, you shouldn't have been there!" is the same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists.

Yeah two filthy rich white dudes having a slap-fight over cold meats is totally the same man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Social standards and graces do not apply on a media production set, right?

We hold everyone to one standard (i.e. say the Producer had punched a cameraman or Clarkson, he'd be fired on the spot) yet double standards for Clarkson, right?

I cannot honestly believe you are reinforcing this as acceptable due to circumstances.

Wamsutta posted:

Have we covered yet how shameful it is to be physically owned by a durnk, corpulent lanky old man yet because drat son. My favorite ending to this is another timeline where the producer slips the punch and lays Clarkson out with a jumping uppercut, on some Little Mac poo poo

I know, right? That big pussywillow, its obviously the victim at fault.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

Nothing should get in the way of making money.

I think this pretty much sums up all your points.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Social standards and graces do not apply on a media production set, right?

We hold everyone to one standard (i.e. say the Producer had punched a cameraman or Clarkson, he'd be fired on the spot) yet double standards for Clarkson, right?

I cannot honestly believe you are reinforcing this as acceptable due to circumstances.

Literally no one has said it's acceptable. Ever.

Just that the punishment is stupid and will hurt everyone except the one being "punished".

lfield
May 10, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Um, Clarkson is rich and on the TV, so he should get to hit whoever he wants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

Reminder that that exact line of reasoning was used for female actors and hosts to ensure their spot in a production by blackmailing them into sexual encounters. "That's show business, loving SJW come and ruin my gig"

Comrade Flynn posted:

Literally no one has said it's acceptable. Ever.

Just that the punishment is stupid and will hurt everyone except the one being "punished".

Except when you have a history of disciplinary issues, where do you draw the line at 'Pay a fine and get out of jail free'?

You cannot on one hand dismiss the actions of Clarkson while on the other say 'Its not acceptable'

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Well, this thread has gone to poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Please point out where I've ever complained about taxes. Or does that not fit into your idiotic narrative?

Isn't lower taxes "for high incomes" part of the reason why you live in Washington?

In any case, I'll break the SA norm and apologize for that bit. It was out of line and pretty stupid in hindsight, regardless of whatever your personal politics might or might not be.

I still disagree with you over the whole "SJW" thing, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CoreDuo posted:

Well, this thread has gone to poo poo.

Show's dead, what'd you expect?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Entire accounting firms got destroyed because of some people breaking the rules. Of course it hurts everyone in the firm but that can't be used as an excuse not to punish anyone at all.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Show's dead, what'd you expect?

Too much.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It isn't racism if they are Irish.

Money makers should be allowed to hit people, it isn't a big deal.

Enduring twenty minutes of abuse from someone kills a television show.

The guy who got hit who didn't log it to the BBC at all should suck it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

Entire accounting firms got destroyed because of some people breaking the rules. Of course it hurts everyone in the firm but that can't be used as an excuse not to punish anyone at all.

Enron comes to mind.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ripoff posted:

Someone has his troll slider pushed all the way to the limit.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

I know, right? That big pussywillow, its obviously the victim at fault.

Nah mate, it's 100% Clarkson's fault, but yeah that kid's a bit of a pussy. The statements are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wamsutta posted:

Nah mate, it's 100% Clarkson's fault, but yeah that kid's a bit of a pussy. The statements are not mutually exclusive.

No, they kind of are. Expect a victim to, in hindsight, hulk out on his primary source of income is kinda making that statement mutually exclusive.

The guy already assumed HE was the one being fired, for better or for worse for Top Gear, I doubt it would've made his predicament any better.