Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Caller posted:

A feature I really want is being able in your districts to set more specific building codes, like only use xyz assets. It'd allow you to make more stringent soviet blocs, a japanese style medium pop city, or a european low rise city. I don't really know how that's viable though through mods, but I'd definitely appreciate more customization other than just the ploppables I put down.

Yeah, absolutely. I have some really nice looking Russian ploppable buildings, and I want to pair them with the Soviet style tenements on the workshop to create a little mini Soviet bloc suburb thing but I don't see any way to use them without just having tenements at random all over the city. Same for the Japanese style stuff (using a couple of those anyway though since they are more modern looking).

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't mean in game stats, I mean the model itself. I could just see some guy lavishly recreating some building using 30k polygons and bringing my poor GTX 560ti to its knees when a dozen appear downtown.

Yeah there's some really nice looking stuff on the workshop but 10+ mb for one building (growable too) seems like too much. It'd be fine on it's own but if like 30 of them grow in my downtown idk if it will work out so well. Plus at that point I'm worried about too much VRAM being used up and crashing my poo poo or something.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't mean in game stats, I mean the model itself. I could just see some guy lavishly recreating some building using 30k polygons and bringing my poor GTX 560ti to its knees when a dozen appear downtown.

Then again, I know shitall about this kind of stuff so maybe I'm worrying too much.

In other news, I think Water Tower park could use a water feature. Maybe I should download the terraforming mod and the plopable water source mod and try to make a tiny lake...

I hope the businesses dowtown have flood insurance. :v:

The map I was on I tried to make a 1600 MW super dam, but when it tried to make the reservoir it instead killed 30% of my population and sunk most of my city and mad a bunch of islands. I built a smaller dam instead elsewhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Caller posted:

The map I was on I tried to make a 1600 MW super dam, but when it tried to make the reservoir it instead killed 30% of my population and sunk most of my city and mad a bunch of islands. I built a smaller dam instead elsewhere.

Just on a side note, would making additional dams around the reservoir as levees to hold back overflow work or? Doesn't seem like there's any reason they wouldn't. Wondering if anyone has tried that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

WarLocke posted:

OK so now my city will also be some sort of terrible Hunger Games parody, with each slice of the pie being Sector 4 or Sector 7.

I haven't touched a city builder since like SimCity 2000 why am I suddenly so into this

I named my districts after Earthbound towns. I'm gonna have to get creative once I go beyond Fourside. :v:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well it looks good. Plus, you're going with Pac Northwest. While Firston is becoming rather Manhattan-esque, complete with lovely haze/smog and kodakrome filter.

I guess I should look into towers then. I did a but earlier but a lot of them don't mention the model stats and I'm a bit worried about performance, but I guess its more CPU than GPU with this.

wait is there really a Kodachrome LUT? that would be so cool

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone wanting more control over their city and a "medium density zone" get this mod.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

It lets you not only control every individual building's level-up limit but lets you set district based limits.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone wanting more control over their city and a "medium density zone" get this mod.

It lets you not only control every individual building's level-up limit but lets you set district based limits.

Is there a mod that will clean up my jizz because drat.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
It's completely unbelievable to me that the game's been out two weeks and there's over 20,000 mods... and most of them are good. Some of them are incredible. I just downloaded a mod that lets you select multiple citizens and keeps track of them in a window so you can follow what your named citizens are doing. And I downloaded a custom Mayor Town Hall and a Chipotle restaurant, a 7-Eleven, a BMW dealership, a food cart, a playable map of Honolulu, and a mod that names buildings using random word tables for infinite combinations.

And this was all uploaded in the LAST 24 HOURS.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 25, 2015

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chewbot posted:

It's completely unbelievable to me that the game's been out two weeks and there's over 20,000 mods... and most of them are good. Some of them are incredible. I just downloaded a mod that lets you select multiple citizens and keeps track of them in a window so you can follow what your named citizens are doing. And I downloaded a custom Mayor Town Hall and a Chipotle restaurant, a 7-Eleven, a BMW dealership, a food cart, a playable map of Honolulu, and a mod that names buildings using random word tables for infinite combinations.

And this was all uploaded in the LAST 24 HOURS.

Link your drat mods :argh:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

jerkstore77 posted:

Is there a mod that will clean up my jizz because drat.

Probably. If not just wait a week, I'm sure someone will make it, the fluid dynamics in the game is an interesting touch.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
God drat!

Some Roads http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413687519

- A darker version of the normal road that's otherwise the same as the built-in one
- A low speed residential play street in pretty pink and with flower pots on the sidewalks
- A two-lane highway for when you can't really afford the normal one but still want to see cars go fast
- A rural road without sidewalks for connecting those remote farming villages to something less remote
- Small and large planning roads that are free but don't do anything until you upgrade them to real roads

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Looking for a map that has cool verticality but starts the player off with a decent flat start. The maps I've been looking at so far tonight seem to either have one or the other. I just found one I really liked but the starting position is at a highway terminus and on terrain that's way too rough.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
My bus ridership keeps going down as the city gets bigger, is this a quirk of the game engine? Used to have 10-11k bus riders a week even before my map hit 100k people, now it's at 170k and I'm down to 6 thousand riders. Trips Saved has gone way up and traffic isn't a problem, but adding more and more lines (75 now, yikes) and that number just keeps going down instead of up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Looking for a map that has cool verticality but starts the player off with a decent flat start. The maps I've been looking at so far tonight seem to either have one or the other. I just found one I really liked but the starting position is at a highway terminus and on terrain that's way too rough.

What do you mean by a decent flat start?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fish Fry Andy posted:

What do you mean by a decent flat start?

Like, I just downloaded this one map that's pretty neat, but the starting position for the city is this tiny little island in the middle of a river, barely big enough for anything. Since you need to get a certain pop before you can buy new zones, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get off the dumb little island.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chewbot posted:

and a mod that names buildings using random word tables for infinite combinations.

I've been waiting for this. My cims are sick to death with the endless boxes of ice cubes and fishsticks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413792924

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Like, I just downloaded this one map that's pretty neat, but the starting position for the city is this tiny little island in the middle of a river, barely big enough for anything. Since you need to get a certain pop before you can buy new zones, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get off the dumb little island.

How about my Pittsfield map? Starts in a valley, but generally hilly towards the edges and some real mountain ridges in some areas. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411540881

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I built Olympia on Raerei Cove (linked in the OP), and I think that's a pretty neat map. You start out with a small area that's pretty flat and access to a great spot for building wind farms, etc. But you pretty quickly outgrow it, and have to develop down onto the nearby beach. Once that's filled up, you need to build up into the highlands - and that's when the map gets real hilly and hard to build on, plus the way up there is pretty narrow so you end up with a natural chokepoint for your traffic that you need to work around. It's a nice map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410456200

This map sounds like it's what you want. About as much elevation difference as you can get in the engine. The starting area is relatively small but decently flat, you certainly have enough space to expand all the way out.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Boreal Dreams has a decent starting area and the rest of the map just oozes atmosphere.

Canal Islands as well and not just because it reminds me of the Philippines.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410456200

This map sounds like it's what you want. About as much elevation difference as you can get in the engine. The starting area is relatively small but decently flat, you certainly have enough space to expand all the way out.

Not my kind of thing, but that looks amazing.

I'm a fan of multi-island maps myself, with a mainland accessible later. Hills would be good, and especially places for ports is what I want. I like myself some sea ports.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
I wish there was a randomized fill tool that would splash around some staggered patterns of smaller lots. Doing this manually takes forever.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Passes is really good. Build it with trains instead of metros if you want a rural feel and extra challenge.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
These look good, thanks!

EDIT: Passes looks awesome.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

kinnas posted:

God drat!

- A darker version of the normal road that's otherwise the same as the built-in one
- A low speed residential play street in pretty pink and with flower pots on the sidewalks
- A two-lane highway for when you can't really afford the normal one but still want to see cars go fast
- A rural road without sidewalks for connecting those remote farming villages to something less remote
- Small and large planning roads that are free but don't do anything until you upgrade them to real roads

Holy poo poo, the 2 lane highway will be perfect for balancing highway interchanges, this is going to be amazing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

kinnas posted:

I wish there was a randomized fill tool that would splash around some staggered patterns of smaller lots. Doing this manually takes forever.

I just plop down the zoning I know I'll have less of, like 5 commercial zones in an otherwise all-residential area, and then I switch to the paint tool and just scribble over everything else. The paint tool doesn't paint over already-zoned areas, so that works out pretty well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kinnas posted:

God drat!

That planning road is a great idea.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Something I just remembered from older Sim Cities, are there military bases in this game?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You left out the best part!:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Bad Caller posted:

A feature I really want is being able in your districts to set more specific building codes, like only use xyz assets. It'd allow you to make more stringent soviet blocs, a japanese style medium pop city, or a european low rise city. I don't really know how that's viable though through mods, but I'd definitely appreciate more customization other than just the ploppables I put down.

So for my first big project that I set out to build was a city reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest, that I named "Pacifica", currently at a pop of 175,000, with about 20,000 of that from outlying cities and farming towns not connected to the city proper.

Here is the main skyline of the oldest downtown, dubbed "Central Pacifica" on the left, and the Rose Quarter on the right. This screenshot crosses over Pacifica Bay from across town where a smaller center is. The city is predominantly built up around the bay, trailing off into suburbs, then a farming and oil town off in the distance.

This interstate is the main thouroughfare into the city, which I dubbed "Redwood Avenue" due to its origins and the fact it later turns into a commercial avenue. It also is connected to a preserved Redwood Forest I built once for forestry then removed and placed pathways into it and made it into an oversized city park.

This is Chinatown, an offshoot area across the bay from the Rose Quarter. I themed it around a giant Japanese style garden, and only built East Asian sky scrapers into this part. It's one of my larger commercial and business districts. I also built along the entire coast into a park after a dam I built lowered the bay levels ever so slightly, allowing for path.

This is Humboldt State University's baseball diamond, showing a view of the dorms and main campus building as well as the bell tower and old orthodox church in the background. This neighborhood was the first land I built, originally called Humboldt and then later Humboldt District after I split it in half to allow the Rose Quarter to build up.

This is just a picture I liked of Humboldt District. Built incredibly low, the worker statue is one of the highest marks along with the orthodox cathedral and the university bell tower. Of course, being the leftist pacific northwest, pot is legal and trees are everywhere, even in this old downtown district.

Lastly the traffic map of the entire city. I'm a Civil engineer student so I tried to build as natural a system and network I could, but also tried to grow the city organically. Most of the traffic issues are around my roundabouts. This area shown is about 160,000 citizens. The heaviest traffic isn't actually where people live but where my industrial sector is. It has alternative access ways for citizens that the trucks don't use since there's three interstate entrances for the industry. The city makes an alright profit and I've never been in the red when building it.

Anyways, I put probably 40 hours into this city since release. Absolutely fun game, I'm probably going to build a Japanese style city or Soviet styled city next.

This looks really great. I wish I knew more about civil engineering and city planning so my cities all didn't turn out looking same-y. Can you recommend any resources to learn more?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Nice. I like the In n Out building a lot but it (and some others) is level 1 and I barely see it before it upgrades to some random box store.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
help I can't stop subscribing to buildings

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I just plop down the zoning I know I'll have less of, like 5 commercial zones in an otherwise all-residential area, and then I switch to the paint tool and just scribble over everything else. The paint tool doesn't paint over already-zoned areas, so that works out pretty well.

Sure you can get your corner shops in like that. Would be neat to have a tool that would automatically drop some 1x2 2x2 or 2x3 blocks of zoning and leave some space between to really get that sparse low density look though.

Tried to make an extended high school area with what little tools are available to us. Really going in nitty-gritty with specific local details is what I miss the most compared to SC4. I want to freehand draw chain link fencing around my industrial parks and drop speed bumps on the road in front of the school building.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Subyng posted:

help I can't stop subscribing to buildings

Meanwhile I've decided to make a custom set of parks for my Water Tower Central Park. :v:

One down!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 31, 2022

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Do trees actually have any effect on the gameworld? and if not, is there a mod that makes them do something like lower pollution or noise a little bit? I like putting trees everywhere just because it looks a little nicer, but it would be cool if they had some sort of effect!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What I would like: be able to set the architectural style. There are more that add buildings to the default, but I want to create a Soviet paradise.

Question: so are we sure industrial and commercial office are the same? I'd really like a better breakdown of the industrial demands.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Office is essentially high density industry, but non polluting, non noisy.

Had my first major boo-boo with workshop today. While trying to update a map, it hosed up and for awhile it was just throwing out flat maps to everyone. I cant remember the exact sequence but it was a lot of deleting, renaming, saving over and reuploading to fix it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So a friend of mine says that he used to be able to build a bunch of "Japanese Garden" parks, but then they suddenly disappeared. I replied saying I had no idea what the hell that was about, since I sure have never seen any Japanese Gardens in the park list. They are listed on a wiki page I saw though, along with the preorder items... he confirmed he had seen none of the other preorder stuff. Just that Japanese Garden, which is now gone. Does this sound familiar to any of you? His game is unmodded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I was wondering about that, I definitely had Japanese gardens at one point, but my save that I started yesterday doesn't have them.