Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I see you have very light traffic but mostly 6 lane roads. Are they needed/actually help? I find anything above a 4 lane fairly useless as cims don't use all their lanes and the bottle-necks are just at intersections which get all hosed to poo poo quickly. Like the max traffic through a 2-lane intersection isn't much different from a 4 or 6 lane intersection and round-abouts often just make things worse as then everyone only uses the right most lane. Intersections at least disperse traffic into left/right/straight lanes, but go extremely slowly and chaotically, while roundabouts funnel everyone into the right lane so there's no reason to use more than a 2-lane road if you have round-abouts. Unless you get really creative and have half the round-about exists on the inside and half on the outside, which is ugly and unrealistic as hell but actually seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I already do this! It'd be rude to just bulldoze over someone's house while they're still living in it, and I am not a rude mayor! :v:

I demolish any building if people are complaining about something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

simosimo posted:

:siren:Getting an error now in my new games and current games. :siren:

Did you have the zoneable pedestrian paths mod? Thats having issues right now. Also try verifying your local files via steam.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

I think I broke it :saddowns:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413678178

Finer grain road height control. Gonna try this out tonight.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pisshead posted:

Means taking a finger of wasd.

Ring finger on A, middle on W, index on D, hit B with your thumb? :confused:

Do what you like obviously I was just curious what your hand positioning is.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did you have the zoneable pedestrian paths mod? Thats having issues right now. Also try verifying your local files via steam.

Yep, it's apparently the cause thankfully.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kefkafloyd posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413678178

Finer grain road height control. Gonna try this out tonight.

loving finally. Jesus the default was 12m? That's 4 stories!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a transit capacity mod out there? A small town will fill a max funded metro and a tiny village will fill a bus route, it's crazy.

Actually what we need is a traffic mod that just tones down the amount of traffic in general. Would this be possible? Like just decrease the rate that residential buildings send out people?

PopBalanceMod decreases the population for low density residential across the board but increases it substantially for high density residential at high levels (from a modifier of 160 to a modifier of 640 at level 5).

Note that if you don't add one of the other mods that increases transit capacity this will probably turn your downtown into gridlock hell.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Are they needed/actually help?

Higher speed limits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Im trying out Zion now and you guys were right about it being hard mode. I've gotten used to squeezing every last piece of real estate from my first map (at 300k on nine squares, I can't imagine hitting 2mil+ on 25) but the constant water shortages and lack of electricity is really making growth absurdly slow.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really want to see a narrower-streets and double yellow lines mod. That way, cars parking on the kerb will actually matter, and making the housing areas happy enough to upgrade to a house with a garage will provide a big bonus. The game already has a fantastic foundation for agent simulation, just adding that bit more would make it superb.

Also, I wonder how crazy future mods will be. We're only getting the simple stuff at the moment.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Roadie posted:

Note that if you don't add one of the other mods that increases transit capacity this will probably turn your downtown into gridlock hell.

Could you link some? I can't find anything like that on the workshop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Baronjutter posted:

I see you have very light traffic but mostly 6 lane roads. Are they needed/actually help? I find anything above a 4 lane fairly useless as cims don't use all their lanes and the bottle-necks are just at intersections which get all hosed to poo poo quickly. Like the max traffic through a 2-lane intersection isn't much different from a 4 or 6 lane intersection and round-abouts often just make things worse as then everyone only uses the right most lane. Intersections at least disperse traffic into left/right/straight lanes, but go extremely slowly and chaotically, while roundabouts funnel everyone into the right lane so there's no reason to use more than a 2-lane road if you have round-abouts. Unless you get really creative and have half the round-about exists on the inside and half on the outside, which is ugly and unrealistic as hell but actually seems to work.

My road network "Downtown" (practically the only part of town) is actually pretty mixed and I only recently upgraded those streets to 6-lanes. I installed them partly to see how that'd change things. And you're right, the middle lane is used very little compared to the left and right lanes. I might switch back to 4-lane roads.

Did spot this mess, that old stop-gap isn't working anymore. Think I need to build a diverging diamond or something here, sadly the pre-fab DD I made won't fit because the ground slope is too much.

Next major project though is a complete rework of my lovely metro system and adding in bus lines. :killdozer:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My road network "Downtown" (practically the only part of town) is actually pretty mixed and I only recently upgraded those streets to 6-lanes. I installed them partly to see how that'd change things. And you're right, the middle lane is used very little compared to the left and right lanes. I might switch back to 4-lane roads.

Maybe employ those traffic trident things?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope CO patched the transit bunching up problem. It's not hard to just have the vehicles auto-space out along the line. In Train Fever even if you throw like 20 buses on a route at once they will start bunched up but eventually auto-space them selves out by each subsequent vehicle waiting a little longer at the next stop. It's pretty easy logic to code in, I'm surprised they didn't do this. But between CiM1 and CiM2 CO never quite figured out vehicle spacing. In CiM1 you had to manually deploy vehicles to time out the spacing but they could get hosed up over time. In CiM2 you had to spend 30 min in a spread sheet setting schedules based on a time system that had no impact on the game due to the game's speed.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

kinnas posted:

Dirt roads that lead to countryside summer homes are usually just wide enough that two cars can just about squeeze past each other. Comparatively the dirt roads in that awesome looking dirtville are more like boulevards of dust and sand, counting in the room taken by the cars parked on the side they're essentially as wide as a (rather tight) four lane road.

Victorian DLC confirmed. New York Squalor and Tenement Building Pack to follow.

Chill la Chill posted:

Im trying out Zion now and you guys were right about it being hard mode. I've gotten used to squeezing every last piece of real estate from my first map (at 300k on nine squares, I can't imagine hitting 2mil+ on 25) but the constant water shortages and lack of electricity is really making growth absurdly slow.

I love Zion, but yeah, it sucks with water. You'll have to just resort to water towers, because the pumps will drain the river dry.
Would be cool if there was a way to somehow make more water. I want a bigger river so my cims can view it from their houses... Is there a way for the mayor to create water from nothing?

Also unrelated, but I forgot, what was the method people were using to get really tight small round abouts? Was it highway onramps? Every time I hook up a road it gets lumpy...

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 25, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

MikeJF posted:

This feels like some kind of sci-fi dystopia. Please place the space elevator dead centre.

Now I have to buy this game and make this. Can you name your cities? My dystopia will be named Panopticon. :getin:

Can you make a city without roads? Just mass transit and walkways?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Sadly, not at the moment; houses have to front onto roads (although there's a mod for that) but more importantly services like garbage and ambulances and hearses and so on so forth require roads, which really put a crimp in my plan to have a city that forced everyone into walking and metro.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MikeJF posted:

Sadly, not at the moment; houses have to front onto roads (although there's a mod for that) but more importantly services like garbage and ambulances and hearses and so on so forth require roads, which really put a crimp in my plan to have a city that forced everyone into walking and metro.

Well apparently if you lay out pedestrian paths well, people will actually stop driving pretty much entirely. I saw some screenshots of a city like that on Imgur I think?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

If you can mod in either a service road or a city policy preventing all but service traffic, you could have a mostly car-free city. You'll still need roads though. :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
It would be cool if you have No through roads for like....commercial high streets (uk thing). The only thing you would see is pedestrians and emergency vehicles (if anyone dies in a a shop)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bel Monte posted:

If you can mod in either a service road or a city policy preventing all but service traffic, you could have a mostly car-free city. You'll still need roads though. :(
The zonable pedestrian paths mod can do that since that's pretty much what it's for. Emergency/special vehicles can still drive on them albeit slowly to make them viable in gameplay, but you will still need at least one main thoroughfare connecting from the highway so you do have to have at least one "real" road.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

WarLocke posted:

Now I have to buy this game and make this. Can you name your cities? My dystopia will be named Panopticon. :getin:

You can name your city, and you can even name districts with the district tool (which can also set various policies and even manipulate taxes up/down 2% in that district). I've even used it to name my city's bridges.

You need roads I'm afraid, but people have made cities where basically everybody walks. I think one of them was even a goon, so maybe they'll chime in.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a gameplay reason to use lower density commercial and residential areas once you have both unlocked? I'll use both anyway because aesthetics, but I don't see anything saying it makes a difference otherwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's easier to traffic manage them?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elman posted:

Is there a gameplay reason to use lower density commercial and residential areas once you have both unlocked? I'll use both anyway because aesthetics, but I don't see anything saying it makes a difference otherwise.

High density generates significantly more traffic than low density, commercial especially. Max level low density residential is also really profitable, and I believe better than max level high density, but I'm not too sure.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can name your city, and you can even name districts with the district tool (which can also set various policies and even manipulate taxes up/down 2% in that district). I've even used it to name my city's bridges.

You need roads I'm afraid, but people have made cities where basically everybody walks. I think one of them was even a goon, so maybe they'll chime in.

OK so now my city will also be some sort of terrible Hunger Games parody, with each slice of the pie being Sector 4 or Sector 7.

I haven't touched a city builder since like SimCity 2000 why am I suddenly so into this

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I can't remember where I read it but other than aesthetics it said something along the lines of CIMs in HD Res will prefer to shop at HD Com, equally CIMs in lvl 5 houses want to shop at lvl 3 stores to reflect the wealth factor.

My bugbear - I wish there was a way to auto-generate preview thumbnails for workshop assets. I must've downloaded about 75-100 plopables across the different categories and it is a nightmare sifting through all the white block icons trying to find what it is I want to place.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Domattee posted:

Guys, a high-end i5 is more than adequate for this game. If you are really thinking of replacing a perfectly functional 4690k either
A: Overclock that. Current i5 have absurd potential with 4+ GHz the norm.
B: Wire me 1000$ instead. I take checks too for those weird people in America. I swear on my AMD CPU that I will make better use of that money then you.

I wasn't suggesting he upgrade, just empathizing with the fact that I got a chip that was more than sufficient for my needs and then picked up something that could have been used to weigh myself into getting the bigger one.

Plus my 4690 is already at 4.2. The extra threads would still help.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fish Fry Andy posted:

High density generates significantly more traffic than low density, commercial especially. Max level low density residential is also really profitable, and I believe better than max level high density, but I'm not too sure.

Yeah even though over half my population is in high density I'm definitely getting as much tax money (if not a little more, at work so I can't fire up the game to check precisely) from low density residential.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

A feature I really want is being able in your districts to set more specific building codes, like only use xyz assets. It'd allow you to make more stringent soviet blocs, a japanese style medium pop city, or a european low rise city. I don't really know how that's viable though through mods, but I'd definitely appreciate more customization other than just the ploppables I put down.

So for my first big project that I set out to build was a city reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest, that I named "Pacifica", currently at a pop of 175,000, with about 20,000 of that from outlying cities and farming towns not connected to the city proper.

Here is the main skyline of the oldest downtown, dubbed "Central Pacifica" on the left, and the Rose Quarter on the right. This screenshot crosses over Pacifica Bay from across town where a smaller center is. The city is predominantly built up around the bay, trailing off into suburbs, then a farming and oil town off in the distance.

This interstate is the main thouroughfare into the city, which I dubbed "Redwood Avenue" due to its origins and the fact it later turns into a commercial avenue. It also is connected to a preserved Redwood Forest I built once for forestry then removed and placed pathways into it and made it into an oversized city park.

This is Chinatown, an offshoot area across the bay from the Rose Quarter. I themed it around a giant Japanese style garden, and only built East Asian sky scrapers into this part. It's one of my larger commercial and business districts. I also built along the entire coast into a park after a dam I built lowered the bay levels ever so slightly, allowing for path.

This is Humboldt State University's baseball diamond, showing a view of the dorms and main campus building as well as the bell tower and old orthodox church in the background. This neighborhood was the first land I built, originally called Humboldt and then later Humboldt District after I split it in half to allow the Rose Quarter to build up.

This is just a picture I liked of Humboldt District. Built incredibly low, the worker statue is one of the highest marks along with the orthodox cathedral and the university bell tower. Of course, being the leftist pacific northwest, pot is legal and trees are everywhere, even in this old downtown district.

Lastly the traffic map of the entire city. I'm a Civil engineer student so I tried to build as natural a system and network I could, but also tried to grow the city organically. Most of the traffic issues are around my roundabouts. This area shown is about 160,000 citizens. The heaviest traffic isn't actually where people live but where my industrial sector is. It has alternative access ways for citizens that the trucks don't use since there's three interstate entrances for the industry. The city makes an alright profit and I've never been in the red when building it.

Anyways, I put probably 40 hours into this city since release. Absolutely fun game, I'm probably going to build a Japanese style city or Soviet styled city next.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
That Passes map looks pretty great. Going to start a new city on it.

I've never worked on an extremely hilly map like this. Are tunnels a thing? A mod search came up empty. Is a decent rail/highway network possible on this map or is everything disjointed into isolated pockets of small towns?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really need 1 or 1.5 lane streets to do anything close to a japanese neighbourhood :(

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Really need 1 or 1.5 lane streets to do anything close to a japanese neighbourhood :(

Yeah but there's a ton of japanese nerds that are making japanese stuff in the modding so I imagine it'll eventually happen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We'll get more road mods eventually, the zoneable ped paths has already give us some taste of it.

Also Bad Caller that puts my Firston to shame. :v: How the hell are you getting all those nice growable towers. Are they the high-tech policy?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 25, 2015

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We'll get more road mods eventually, the zoneable ped paths has already give us some taste of it.

Also Bad Caller that puts my Firston to shame. :v: How the hell are you getting all those nice growable towers. Are they the high-tech policy?

Yeah I have pretty high taxes and also spent a lot on high tech. I'd make more profits but I hit end game and got 3 of the monuments which made getting high tech policy, high education buildings really easy.

Some of them are also ploppables, at least the center pieces are. I also installed a crap ton of growable tower assets. It's 2063, figured it made sense to have the city look futuristic in some parts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well it looks good. Plus, you're going with Pac Northwest. While Firston is becoming rather Manhattan-esque, complete with lovely haze/smog and kodakrome filter.

I guess I should look into towers then. I did a but earlier but a lot of them don't mention the model stats and I'm a bit worried about performance, but I guess its more CPU than GPU with this.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 25, 2015

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess I should look into towers then. I did a but earlier but a lot of them don't mention the model stats and I'm a bit worried about performance, but I guess its more CPU than GPU with this.

Some of the towers and buildings I installed had chinese and russian text descriptions, so I'm sure they probably broke my finances a bit but who cares I'm still about 12k in the black. I think the highest profits I ever made before I started placing monuments and ploppables was about 60k each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't mean in game stats, I mean the model itself. I could just see some guy lavishly recreating some building using 30k polygons and bringing my poor GTX 560ti to its knees when a dozen appear downtown.

Then again, I know shitall about this kind of stuff so maybe I'm worrying too much.

In other news, I think Water Tower park could use a water feature. Maybe I should download the terraforming mod and the plopable water source mod and try to make a tiny lake...

I hope the businesses dowtown have flood insurance. :v: