Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The one in the video isn't 100% electric, I think it's a series hybrid with the piston engine able to run on natural gas or bio gas. Fjelltorsk can probably correct me or expand on it.

But anyway, many of the issues that plague private electric car decisions are not a problem in a bus scenario. The distance is known, you can plan charging in to the schedule, you can mix and match power sources, you can roll your own infrastructure etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Las vegas ran a hybrid version of that coach.

some of the SF busses run planetary sets in the hubs.

Diesel buses also do this for efficiency reasons.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
The 24m Duo bus is a biogas/Electric hybrid with a gas generator feeding power to 4 hubmounted motors. The original idea was to use only two motor driven wheels, but this caused some issues with traction. The generator is a straight six MAN unit with (from memory) about 200 kw @2200. onboard battery is at about 35kwh. The buses does at current day only run on one perticular line, but with plans to expand. I think its an interesting project, but only time will tell if it is efficant and sustainable. And you are correct that the two first buses belonged to skyss, but (i think) Tide have commisioned another 4. I had the pleasure of driving one from our garage to their home base, and seing the rear end trough the windows in sharp turn was....weird

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Any guesses on what the tesla "big deal" firmware update is going to be?

picture of teslaness for relevance

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 18, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

When the battery gets low it tases you unconscious, drives to a supercharger, charges up, drives back to where you were then wakes you up and pretends nothing happened.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They are printing call uber on the visor.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cakefool posted:

When the battery gets low it tases you unconscious, drives to a supercharger, charges up, drives back to where you were then wakes you up and pretends nothing happened.

And this prediction turned out to be the most correct, as basically the range anxiety thing turned out to just be a thing that more aggressively tells you where supercharging stations are and when you're getting too far from them, and there's some cool self-driving stuff both in the next software update and "in the future":

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/business/elon-musk-says-self-driving-tesla-cars-will-be-in-the-us-by-summer.html?_r=0

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 4, 2016

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Yeah, the Tesla update was underwhelming to say the least.

I figured i would do a small write up of my two first week with the P85D. As i was on a trip with it this weekend going 710km up and down a mountain in temperatures going from +5 celcius to -9 i have sorta gotten a feel for how this thing handles winter.

First of all, the car feels very very good. Clearly the fastest car i have ever owned and the first new car i have ever purchased. The interior is decent but not great considering the price point, The new seats are fantastic tho. Some parts of the interior feels very premium, and other parts (like the visors) would feel more at home in a 1993 Mazda 323. Initially (the week after the testdrive while i waited for delivery) i was worried that i would have issues with the huge screen, having it fighting for attention. I even planned on putting velcro around it so i could cover it up. In use i have no such issues, the screen is great and having everything so freaking big makes using navigation much safer and glanceable. The car is roomy and had plenty of room for me, two three year olds and the wife with everything we needed for a weekend of skiing. This is especially impressive since the cage for the family dog takes up alot of room in the trunk. (i am not mean enough to put her in the frunk)

Exterior:
I like the looks, and they are growing on me, pearl white looks like poo poo after ten minutes on wet/dirty roads. The car is big, but my last car was a G500 so its not a problem. There is however a flaw with putting the rear camera where it sits, it gets covered in filth in no time flat and is unusable after an hour on wet winter roads. The filler cap placement for windscreen washer fluid is retarded, the only thing that saves me there is that we have washer fluid dispenser at work with a bent nozzles. If you are filling from a jug you are going to spill, and the fluid will end up in the frunk.

It being a EV:
The range is no problem. I charge it every day at work, and at home in the weekends. i rarely see anything less then 150km left. Having free tolls and parking feels like cheating. This weekend i drove home from work, and then up to Gol, a mountain skiing village. distance of circa 320km.When i got to Gol i charged at the supercharger while we did some shopping and grabbed some food. Charging was not a hassle, and we did not feel like we were waiting for the car to be done charging. I could tell that the battery life was somewhat degraded from the cold, but not to the point that i was worried. I did hook the car up to the 220v when it was parked outside the lodge, this meant that we had no need to stop for charging on the way home.

Handling and winter driving. My car sits on 21" Pirelli Sottozero winter tires in 245/35. For deep snow and slush these tires are to wide, but i drive very little on unplowed roads. On plowed roads and slippery wet roads the car handles like a champ. I have been spoiled by driving a german 4wd offroader so i have gotten some bad habits. But overall the car feels very safe to drive, and is easily as good as the wifes aging V70 for winter driving. Its a heavy car so you canīt act like a idiot in the corners,but the weight is very low to the ground.

I canīt wait to put the car on 21" turbines with the P-zeros our tire supplier at work gave me a deal on.

Caveat: I was offered to buy this car from the dealership after a customer backed out of the car, therefore i only had to wait a week for delivery, and that is also the reason i have 21" winter wheels. I love most of the options on the car, and they where the same as what i would have ordered, except the carbon fiber interior, carbon fiber spoiler and the winter wheels.

TL:DR
I like it, winter handling is great on everything but unplowed roads, but this is because of the silly size of the tires

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sounds amazing. About the screen, does it dim dark enough to not interfere with your night vision?

Here's a small tip for wiper fluid cans: http://www.biltema.no/no/Fritid/Campingvogn-og-bobil/Vann-og-avlop/Fleksibel-helletut-37496/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Sounds amazing. About the screen, does it dim dark enough to not interfere with your night vision?

Here's a small tip for wiper fluid cans: http://www.biltema.no/no/Fritid/Campingvogn-og-bobil/Vann-og-avlop/Fleksibel-helletut-37496/

Sorry to derail, but if your wiper fluid comes in rectangular jugs similar to this:

Tip it sideways (like with the label facing up) and pour. You practically don't need a funnel and you have much more control. Works with engine oil too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sure that's what fjelltorsk tries to do, but apparently the filler is in a tricky location.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went for a demo ride in a P85D today. Holy smokes. Everything about it is perfect, although the price is way out of reach for me. If I was buying I'd definitely get a non-P, might or might not spring for 4WD. The air suspension was very plush and comfortable without being saggy soft even with the 21"s. (I'd pick 19"s). Flooring it from standstill was, yes exactly, insane. It will beat most motorcycles 0-60 easily. The bike has to ride the clutch and prevent a wheelie or course while the car simply goes "punch it Chewie". The acceleration was physically disorienting, it felt like I was tilting backwards. Addictive, but I'd still go for a non-P, it's no slouch.

The max ride height is also excellent:

Many other cars might be better in many different specific categories, but in my opinion it's no doubt that this is the best car in the world.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My sister got an Uber ride from a Model S last week in DC. She was texting me non-stop for about an hour trying to get more information on it. She LOVED the thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ola posted:

I've never had a problem with that. In twilight conditions, it sometimes does the reverse--switches to night mode before it's really needed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I traded a drive in my Z06 for a drive in a friend's ELR...

I don't get why they sticker at $80,000, AT ALL, but it's a godamned nice car. If it were $55k, they'd sell a shitload more of them. As it stands, they're practically giving them away.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So it seems 2012 volts are around $13k with 30k ish miles. Is there any reason why I can't buy one of these for my parents and just have them run it on gas like a prius for the next 10 years? Are there reliability issues? Will the battery die and make it useless? I think the battery is what 10 year 100k warranty? I guess I can just buy them a 2009 prius for cheaper and go with a more proven design. They are fixed income and like to drive all over hell for cheap. I destroyed many cars of thiers when I was younger and don't mind paying them back with money I would waste on some stupid miata mods.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you can't or won't plug a Volt in, get a Prius, they're better on gas.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Please someone talk me out of buying a 85D my god I'm not actually going to spend this amount of money on a car am I?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 15, 2015

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If you want my reason for why I might not get a first model Model S even once you can get a decent used one for $60k or whatever, it's that they might get better SO FAST. They're basically a brand new thing, so just think about what the first iPhone or the first iPod looked like 3 years later. The Model S seems cool now but it might be a piece of poo poo compared to whatever comes after it even 3-4 years from now.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah I could see that, especially with batteries. But I feel like I've been reading the same AMAZING NEW BATTERY TECHNOLOGY DISCOVERED THEY WILL DOUBLE IN CAPACITY AND HALVE IN SIZE NEXT WEEK "news" every month like 30 years now. It's probably not worth waiting a couple years on that right?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Well not just that but like the interior, the seats, all that stuff, they seem to be making a lot of improvements to and I'd just kinda like to see how much they do improve in the next few years just in general since the product is so new

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well not just that but like the interior, the seats, all that stuff, they seem to be making a lot of improvements to and I'd just kinda like to see how much they do improve in the next few years just in general since the product is so new

None of those things are new technology. I doubt we'll be seeing much improvement in the next 4 years on anything other than the powertrain.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, yes, whatever flagship Tesla is flogging in three years will be better than a 2015 85D.

On the other hand, if you buy a 2015 85D today you get to have a 2015 85D, and drive it and enjoy it and all of that for three years. THEN you can look at the newest and greatest, and compare it to both the car you have (2015 85D with a bunch of miles behind it) PLUS the 3 years of joyous ownership you had.

I say get the drat car.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This is why I leased my Leaf, normally I think leases are a total screwjob and would rather own a car and be free of payments, but even Nissan is admitting that MY2017 is going to be a huge leap better in range alone, never mind that I might be able to afford above the base model because this time I hopefully won't be scraping together from my first like two paychecks to get a working car for my commute :v:

Electric cars are getting better and especially battery technology is getting better rapidly, and as the battery is by far the most expensive component, it seems a better deal for everyone involved to get a new one at the end of the lease and let the Nissan (or Tesla or BMW or...) deal with retrofitting $10k+ worth of batteries into returned lease if they need to.

Oh yeah I also am working with my landlord on an agreement to get a level 2 charger installed, but I'll probably have to buy the charging unit myself. It will be mounted outside and I'm cheap, so I was looking at this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Ch...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reviews seem to indicate that it's good for the cost, if basic. Wondering if anyone else got one of these or has alternative suggestions. A timer might be nice since I have the base model Leaf and TOD electricity pricing, but for $200+ I can set a drat alarm and walk outside for a minute it won't kill me.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Please someone talk me out of buying a 85D my god I'm not actually going to spend this amount of money on a car am I?

I just ordered my 3rd Tesla, a P85D to replace my two year old Model S. You won't regret it. :rms:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

I just ordered my 3rd Tesla, a P85D to replace my two year old Model S. You won't regret it. :rms:

The wife is on me to trade in the P85 for a P85D. She's an enabler.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They should change the name of the stock trading thread, this is apparently where the real rich jerks are :)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you want my reason for why I might not get a first model Model S even once you can get a decent used one for $60k or whatever, it's that they might get better SO FAST.

I would be wary of this, nobody really seems to know how Tesla will operate once the cars are out of the warranty because so few of them are, will they cost used Camry or used S class amounts per year to keep running?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sanchez posted:

I would be wary of this, nobody really seems to know how Tesla will operate once the cars are out of the warranty because so few of them are, will they cost used Camry or used S class amounts per year to keep running?

Electric cars in general have way fewer moving parts and while I doubt what mechanical work has to be done on a Tesla would be cheap, service is still along the lines of "change air filter and rotate tires". The more worrisome thing that we don't have any good data on yet is how long until your average battery pack plummets in capacity and will we have cheaper/better batteries in time for it to not cost close to or over 5 digits when that happens?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

Electric cars in general have way fewer moving parts and while I doubt what mechanical work has to be done on a Tesla would be cheap, service is still along the lines of "change air filter and rotate tires". The more worrisome thing that we don't have any good data on yet is how long until your average battery pack plummets in capacity and will we have cheaper/better batteries in time for it to not cost close to or over 5 digits when that happens?

This was pretty much my logic, it doesn't seem like there's much that you really do except possibly replace the battery later and those have like an 8 year warranty or something.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I feel like the 85D is solidly in "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" territory.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It certainly seems like the Ps and Ds will depreciate quickly, the current models already are, it's a bit like buying mobile phones or PCs. There's gonna be an awesome one out in 6 months or a year, you wanna buy the current one? Still, if I had the money and the need, I'd get a non-P RWD, maybe a D if I could get a discounted demo one, and not look back. It will be fantastic and it will last. I might buy another fossil powered motorcycle in my life, maybe, but I will never ever own a fossil powered car.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Service is the easy part, it's what happens when your center stack touchscreen has a problem, or anything in the car outside of the drive unit. Nobody seems to know how much a set of brake pads, or headlights or new door handle erector motors will actually cost with labor. They might be nice about it and do everything for reasonable prices, but the current situation where you are effectively bound to them completely for maintenance is unique.

They need to start providing documentation for routine maintenance tasks at minimum, battery coolant change, brake pad swap, etc. Ideally, they would be obliged to sell their diagnostic tools to independent mechanics like the other manufacturers, so third party service becomes doable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sanchez posted:

Service is the easy part, it's what happens when your center stack touchscreen has a problem, or anything in the car outside of the drive unit. Nobody seems to know how much a set of brake pads, or headlights or new door handle erector motors will actually cost with labor. They might be nice about it and do everything for reasonable prices, but the current situation where you are effectively bound to them completely for maintenance is unique.

They need to start providing documentation for routine maintenance tasks at minimum, battery coolant change, brake pad swap, etc. Ideally, they would be obliged to sell their diagnostic tools to independent mechanics like the other manufacturers, so third party service becomes doable.

To be fair, no other vehicle manufacturer provides that info. They do the classic Haynes manual thing of stripping one down. Tesla's will be much thinner than the others. And if you don't like the way their software works, there is actually a forum you can troll which actually has an effect. Did that happen for any other make?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I feel like the 85D is solidly in "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" territory.

Yeah with Teslas this is definitely true, and I have a feeling that for current models the price is going to be "high enough to line Elon's coffers so he can afford to shoot poo poo into space and encourage selling new Teslas, but not so high that it even makes people who can afford Teslas swear them off."

The Leaf is going to be a bit more interesting to watch in this department I think, as it is marketed as (and my lease of one was justified as) a smart economical choice and Nissan is therefore concerned with keeping down the long-term CTO as a huge marketing bullet point, especially as the leased ones start hitting their used cars section.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean in a year or two normal 85s are going to be like $50-60k and definitely within the reach of normal not super rich people, I don't think wondering what the maintenance costs will be is a ridiculous thing to think about.

I mean yeah you still have to be pretty rich but like to say "oh if you have to ask you can't afford it :smug:" is kinda dismissive of the question I think

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

Well, Tesla is building their ginormo battery factory in Nevada, and they say they're still on track to start it up next year (with the intent of producing a car with a 200+ mile range at roughly the same price point as the Leaf). By the time the their cars start needing replacement batteries in significant numbers, the cost should be well below whatever it would be now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

To be fair, no other vehicle manufacturer provides that info. They do the classic Haynes manual thing of stripping one down.

Pretty sure you can order factory service manuals for pretty much anything from a dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The Tesla is great fun to hoon around in but the interior build quality of this gen and the roadster is so so bad. I've heard the stuff coming will be a lot better, but I have a feeling the current cars will depreciate hard once Telsa figures out normal car stuff.

• Locked thread