Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Testekill posted:

gently caress, I would love a big Slayers RPG. I loved that show as a kid and Lina Inverse is still one of my favourite anime protagonists.

Slayers is pretty great. Hell most of the stuff is still unresolved in that series. 3 of the 5 big major Demon Lords and quite a few of their generals and priests are still alive. And 5 of the 7 Pieces of Ruby Eye Shabranigdo AKA the Satan of the Slayers Universe (The Devil Satan not Mr Satan.) are still around inside mortal hosts. (Well one is trapped in Ice were he commands all the lesser demons until they can awaken another piece of him so it can merge with his trapped in Ice part making him powerful enough to unmake all of creation.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Slayers was great but it also had about fifteen 'periods make women angry and irrational!' jokes.

I only remember one mensturation joke in the entire run and it was regarding magic and why Lina wasn't able to just Dragonslave her problems away.

To sort of give Zelgadiss a chance is what I mean. And then it never came up again. The rest is just Lina's personality.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

I only remember one mensturation joke in the entire run and it was regarding magic and why Lina wasn't able to just Dragonslave her problems away.

To sort of give Zelgadiss a chance is what I mean. And then it never came up again. The rest is just Lina's personality.

Was it during a Ruby Eye Shabranigdo fight. Because that is like the only situation Dragonslave would not work in.

For people that don't know. Black Magic in Slayers is powered by Demons. Certain spells are powered by certain demons and black magic only works on demons if the spell used is powered by a demon more powerful then the ones it is being used on. Ruby Eye Shabranigdo as the Demons progenitor and the most powerful of them all is immune to Black Magic completely. (Dragonslave a spell that is pretty much a nuke is powered by him. Lina compares using it on him to be pretty much doing the same the thing as asking him to kill himself.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
No, I was when they were protecting that statue thing from being stolen by Zelgadiss and Lina tells Gourry she will not be able to cast magic like normal and he concludes it is that time of the month based on his experience as a lad an old fortune teller in his town also closed up shop once a month and when he asked her why, she responded with "it is just that time of the month".

Again, I don't recall it coming up ever again, certainly not in the light novel (which were translated to English pretty faithfully and are a joy to read, all 8 volumes of it)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i remember it being a running gag in the anime but it's been a while. maybe they added it in anime original material. maybe it stuck out in my brain and made it more prominent than it actually was.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying very hard to think of if it came up again. It might have in one of the movies or in one of the jokes when Amelia joined the crew, but I can't really remember it being a huge deal.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Never heard of Slayers. Should I watch it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BattleCattle posted:

Never heard of Slayers. Should I watch it?

It's one of the classic fantasy anime. I haven't seen the fourth or fifth seasons but I've seen the first three, all of the movies and a few of the OVAs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slayers is an absurdly 90s anime in all the ways that you can imagine. If you like 90s anime though it's actually pretty drat fun. Just, y'know, be prepared for all the trademarks of 90s anime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If D&D and anime are two hobbies that you happen to partake in, I'd definitely recommend it.

Regardless I'd recommend watching to roughly the half-way point of the first season before you decide if you want to keep going.

Alternatively, you can do what I did and watch one of the early movies first, because most of them happen to be prequels, taking place when Lina was 14 as opposed to 16 years old. They also feature the best (?) character: Naga the Serpent :nws:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I'll watch it and report my findings. Thanks for the rec, y'all are great.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Watching Dragon Ball Kai, haven't watched DBZ in like 15 years and I forgot how great the Vegeta saga was.
I miss when everyone had mostly humble beginnings and had trump cards after trump cards but weren't really unstoppable gods quite yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Deakul posted:

Watching Dragon Ball Kai, haven't watched DBZ in like 15 years and I forgot how great the Vegeta saga was.
I miss when everyone had mostly humble beginnings and had trump cards after trump cards but weren't really unstoppable gods quite yet.

As much as I enjoy the entire series, blemishes and all, I wish that "level" of the show had lasted MUCH longer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked the Vegeta fight because, like nothing else until let's say the first half of the Beerus fight, it encapsulated that desperate, we need to throw every scrap of everything we have at this to even have a chance of winning struggle. Yajirobe, Oozaru Gohan, Goku nearly killing himself with Kaio-kens, everything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The final blow of that fight was because Vegeta's body was so hosed up he couldn't move out of the way of a falling giant ape in time.

It was great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Testekill posted:

gently caress, I would love a big Slayers RPG. I loved that show as a kid and Lina Inverse is still one of my favourite anime protagonists.

There are two: the lovely d20 one I can't give because of :filez: that you wouldn't want to play anyway and the PBtA one that, while a generic 90s fantasy anime game, is pretty loving good at being Slayers as it is a clear inspiration. Quick warning: the latter is still in development and only an early playtest copy is available.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Has the new trailer been posted yet? Lot of good stuff there, like Krillin kicking some henchman rear end, and a quick shot of Jaco being Jaco!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqH20gWGpc

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Testekill posted:

When shows get made off of some tabletop game, they're not usually playing some special system or anything. It's just like Sword World or whatever. Getting the feel of something like Slayers it's much more about how the GM constructs the plot and situaions and how the players interact with those and each other.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For electronic games, there were a handful of console games for the PSX and SNES, and while I know the SNES one got a fan translation (and it's pretty funny) there's no way I could see them getting proper translations as I cannot imagine a property like Slayers to be too popular in the west.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Not only did Gotenks not do a drat thing in the Buu Saga, he actually hosed over Gohan by getting absorbed. I guess he killed time so Gohan/Goku/Vegeta showed up, but that's about it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What would Goten and Trunks' name be if they fused with the potara earings?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Rhonne posted:

What would Goten and Trunks' name be if they fused with the potara earings?

Trogen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Potsticker posted:

When shows get made off of some tabletop game, they're not usually playing some special system or anything. It's just like Sword World or whatever. Getting the feel of something like Slayers it's much more about how the GM constructs the plot and situaions and how the players interact with those and each other.

I agree and disagree. It's true that few shows gets their own systems -- some do like Doctor Who: Adventures in Time And Space --, but the system you choose does matter. Otherwise, it will feel like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Not only did Gotenks not do a drat thing in the Buu Saga, he actually hosed over Gohan by getting absorbed. I guess he killed time so Gohan/Goku/Vegeta showed up, but that's about it

Gotenks did actually go for a pretty good killshot with his ghost-clones and he even tried to double-tap Buu before he regenerated (which I think is the only time in DBZ anyone has the presence of mind to do that). But yeah, not going SSJ3 until Piccolo blew up the door and Buu killed everyone was pretty terrible

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Watched the first episode of Slayers. Yep, this is my jam.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Of all the things to complain about in DBZ, Gotenks is a weird choice. I always thought his behavior made sense , him being the fusion of two kids, so the combination of the arrogance of the fusion persona plus the goofiness of the kids made for a powerful, but pretty ineffective fighter.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

New Leaf posted:

Has the new trailer been posted yet? Lot of good stuff there, like Krillin kicking some henchman rear end, and a quick shot of Jaco being Jaco!

Oh yeah Luffy voices Krillin too huh.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Covok posted:

I agree and disagree. It's true that few shows gets their own systems -- some do like Doctor Who: Adventures in Time And Space --, but the system you choose does matter. Otherwise, it will feel like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

We'll just have to disagree, then. My point is that it doesn't matter if you're running Champions, Brave New World, Mutants & Masterminds or the old Marvel diceless system for a superhero game. As long as people are on board for a comic book style game the system doesn't matter.

There's nothing about Slayers that strikes me as needing any specific mechanical component which would need representation like you might want to run Rifts, Mekton Z or Battletech for a mecha-styled game (Though BESM or M&M could work as well with their rules) but there's no reason to hunt down the old Bubblegum Crisis RPG if that's the setting you want to play. Any flavor of D&D, Dungeon World, Al Ashrad, Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls even if you're crazy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Prison Warden posted:

Oh yeah Luffy voices Krillin too huh.

Oda actually designed Luffy with Mayumi Tanaka in mind to voice him. It was kind of a dream come true/fanboy moment when Toei cast her.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Oda actually designed Luffy with Mayumi Tanaka in mind to voice him. It was kind of a dream come true/fanboy moment when Toei cast her.

Oda pushed hard for Mayumi Tanaka and Toei thought it was a bad idea since everyone would just think of Krillin.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KoB posted:

Oda pushed hard for Mayumi Tanaka and Toei thought it was a bad idea since everyone would just think of Krillin.

Really? I hadn't heard that. That's really interesting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Potsticker posted:

We'll just have to disagree, then. My point is that it doesn't matter if you're running Champions, Brave New World, Mutants & Masterminds or the old Marvel diceless system for a superhero game. As long as people are on board for a comic book style game the system doesn't matter.

There's nothing about Slayers that strikes me as needing any specific mechanical component which would need representation like you might want to run Rifts, Mekton Z or Battletech for a mecha-styled game (Though BESM or M&M could work as well with their rules) but there's no reason to hunt down the old Bubblegum Crisis RPG if that's the setting you want to play. Any flavor of D&D, Dungeon World, Al Ashrad, Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls even if you're crazy.

I agree to disagree as well. That said, just to clarify, I don't mean you need to hunt down a specific system like Bubblegum Crisis -- you really shouldn't regardless because the Fuzion system really shows it's age --, but that some systems will work better for licenses than others. To continue with the Slayers example, AD&D 2nd edition might just be a bit too rules heavy and take away from the experience where a narrative system like FATE might enhance it.

Like I said, though, I agree to disagree. I just wanted to clarify what I meant earlier is all.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

New Leaf posted:

I'm very curious to see Beerus' role in this movie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Webbeh posted:

I'm very curious to see Beerus' role in this movie.

Probably standing around going "NO hit him harder!" and eating snacks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Frieza attacks Earth right as he was about to get his pudding.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Watching that trailer, I can't help but smile at seeing Krillin actually using his kien-zan. Thank you, TFS.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Twiddy posted:

Watching that trailer, I can't help but smile at seeing Krillin actually using his kien-zan. Thank you, TFS.

Let's hope he actually hits someone with it this time :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

Let's hope he actually hits someone with it this time :v:

Has Krillin ever successfully hit any one with that move?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Rhonne posted:

Has Krillin ever successfully hit any one with that move?

He cut off Freeza's tail so...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
In the anime filler he hit cell but it didn't do anything lol

• Locked thread