Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Cactus posted:

It basically seems like a case of old-school writers with all their bad habits and outdated methods & traditions, trying to craft a modern serial drama but being held back either by their own or the network's shortcomings. I'm inclined to think it's probably not the network since they already did BB and mad men, and as others have said it can't be attributed to the large cast as other shows that have even larger ones handle it well, showing us that it can be done. They just come across as either inexperienced or amateurish.

I know a little bit of the behind the scenes on this thanks to a guy who does the Your Movie Sucks videos on youtube doing a piece on TWD Seasons 1 and 2. Probably everyone knows that Frank Darabont started directing the show in Season 1, then he got canned over budget issues and his assistant Glen Mazarra took over, which is the reason for the sharp decline in quality mid-Season 2 and onwards. Basically AMC is bleeding the show dry, trying to squeeze every last dollar out of it and keeping the budget paper-thin. While shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are co-owned by AMC and other affiliates, TWD is unique in that AMC has full rights and thus can impose strict limitations on budget and other poo poo. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the only writers left at this point are borderline fans off the street who are working for peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Advice posted:

I know a little bit of the behind the scenes on this thanks to a guy who does the Your Movie Sucks videos on youtube doing a piece on TWD Seasons 1 and 2. Probably everyone knows that Frank Darabont started directing the show in Season 1, then he got canned over budget issues and his assistant Glen Mazarra took over, which is the reason for the sharp decline in quality mid-Season 2 and onwards. Basically AMC is bleeding the show dry, trying to squeeze every last dollar out of it and keeping the budget paper-thin. While shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are co-owned by AMC and other affiliates, TWD is unique in that AMC has full rights and thus can impose strict limitations on budget and other poo poo. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the only writers left at this point are borderline fans off the street who are working for peanuts.

At least it's better than Low Winter Sun.That show was the worst and I can't believe the cancelled the killing for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally got around to watching the latest episode. Normally I can find things to defend about this show, but this just wasn't a good episode at all. I understand Rick's paranoia and behavior, I get why he is doing the things he does, I just don't care. This story arc is not interesting. Now granted it's not over yet, maybe it will redeem itself, but for now I really don't like it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Advice posted:

Mazarra got fired and replaced by Gimple though, in what was generally regarded as the start of an improvement in the series. I don't doubt that AMC is trying to keep budgets down, but this feels like an overstatement for a show that is dominating cable tv like no other show ever has.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
Oh god, if this theory is true people in this thread are going to flip the gently caress out. In a bad way.
https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/93119/mother-of-god-tv-show

This one isn't a comic spoiler so much as picking apart episodes and past episodes and maybe stumbling into something. >_>

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reivur posted:

Oh god, if this theory is true people in this thread are going to flip the gently caress out. In a bad way.

This one isn't a comic spoiler so much as picking apart episodes and past episodes and maybe stumbling into something. >_>

The sad part is if this was on, say, a Vince Gilligan show, I'd totally buy this theory as intentional.

On Walking Dead, I'm chalking it up to coincidence. I'd actually find it hilarious if it was true though.

Advice posted:

That Your Movie Sucks video is worth watching if you watch the show, even though I knew most of it ahead of time.

All I can say is less than a month before you go to air, Double the episodes, don't double the budget, make mandates about filming times and fire the creator. I'm amazed the show survived season 2 for a million reasons, but that's the source of the problems. I do have a lot of sympathy for the writing staff on that poo poo season; stretching your script out to over double the size on little notice isn't going to create quality.

Pretty sure if we still had a Darabont run Walking Dead that was entirely 6-episode seasons, maybe 8/10 if they got a budget increase, we'd have a much higher tier show.

Poque posted:

No I know. but it was teens sharing in misery which is totally a teen thing to do

Honestly they were less whiny about it than most of the adults.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
And as his video pointed out (not that it needed pointing out), who cares? Nobody even noticed the drop in quality and in fact it's one of the highest rated and grossing shows right now. Great work, I guess, AMC?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Wow, that was a great find.

I'm putting it on my Facebook

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

About half of season 1 is kind of bad though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Advice posted:

And as his video pointed out (not that it needed pointing out), who cares? Nobody even noticed the drop in quality and in fact it's one of the highest rated and grossing shows right now. Great work, I guess, AMC?

Fun fact: AMC actually fought the Breaking Bad team to make the last season only 6 episodes. That's how we ended up with two seasons that were supposed to be "6A" and "6B" instead of 7, the only way they worked it out was to do it that way.

Unlike Walking Dead, however, Breaking Bad was co-owned by Sony and had an option to just flat out walk, and change networks to, say, HBO - it gave them leverage that their other shows just don't have. AMC is one of the worst networks to work with this side of Fox.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Reivur posted:

Does anyone remember that part of the episode? I remember a blue and white striped shirt for some reason. could be a drama hoax. Or I just have bad memory.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

Advice posted:

I'm... not so sure that's entirely true. The "nobody's even noticed the drop in quality" thing. I think it would be fairer to say it didn't drop enough to make people hate or completely give up on it. Or maybe they outright liked it. (I liked 2-- but I also watched it marathon-style, because I was moving IRL at the time so I had a stockpile of episodes. I can't imagine how slow it would have been watching it weekly.) But the quality shift, or more importantly the pacing going from purposeful strides of character development and exploration degraded to long, meandering camera shots on Churches, Barns and Frowny-Faces.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this is still the best season by far.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Keep in mind I'm referring to the general public, not goons. Obviously we noticed his poo poo the show has been from time to time, but it's making money hand over fist and every Joe Schmoe you ask on the street thinks it's well-written.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Does anyone remember that part of the episode? I remember a blue and white striped shirt for some reason. could be a drama hoax. Or I just have bad memory.

I just looked it up/skimmed and saw it. It isn't photoshop/drama hoax. Doesn't necessarily mean its him though... But at the very least the images are real.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GrAviTy84 posted:

Also, can someone please teach michonne's actress how to hold a gun

Was hoping someone outside of TFR would notice that. :)

MeLKoR posted:

This, jesus christ no wonder law enforcement is so terrible in the US if this is anything to go by.

Well, rick is british, so...

moist turtleneck posted:

So Aaron and Darryl are looking for survivors. They find a camp but decide not to use binoculars or their fancy listening device? Those could have helped the mystery of the guy who's arms and legs fell off or the lady that got the emergency C section.

It took them from night time to mid day to make it to where they saw the light. My point? Reasons.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 25, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Reivur posted:

I just looked it up/skimmed and saw it. It isn't photoshop/drama hoax. Doesn't necessarily mean its him though... But at the very least the images are real.

OK, drat. Those are some convincing clues. If it turns out to be true, I hope they give him an episode like the Governor one to close the story out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find it hard to believe they would tease that for an entire season for it to end that way.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it hard to believe they would tease that for an entire season for it to end that way.

Now if he were a little blonde girl then maaaaybe. :allears:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Noirex posted:

I don't know, Rick certainly didn't seem that conflicted to me especially after he nearly pulled a gun on Pete's back before he even found out about the beatings. I believe even without the abuse revelation, Rick would have still found some way to kill Pete anyway because that's how unhinged and far down the rabbit hole he has gone. And he would have found a reason to justify it just as Shane did. They both think they are saving their unhappy damsels in distress.

They need the ghost of Shane to come visit rick and whisper advice in his ear.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

comicspoil
If the comic is any indication of morgan's longevity, he is due to die any episode now based on the comic's pacing

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It's pretty obvious what you guys are talking about. Even if it turns out to be not true, maybe be a bit more circumspect?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I do hate that about spoilers in this thread. People need to be more mindful of what others haven't seen. You'll get like:

spoiler spoiler spoiler

and then someone will quote it and be like:

"wow he died already? we just got introduced to him last episode that's crazy".

If you're gonna discuss or quote spoilers, especially comic ones, (I know the show has a pretty different plot but it's obvious certain elements will be retained) can you just put your post in spoilers as well?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Was hoping someone outside of TFR would notice that. :)

dat pistol grip tho :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reivur posted:

Hahaha. No way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Eh gads, that did make me cringe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know anything about guns, but it feels like it takes no knowledge at all to see that her grip on that gun looks really awful, possibly even very unsafe? What would be the proper way to hold that gun?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I don't know anything about guns, but it feels like it takes no knowledge at all to see that her grip on that gun looks really awful, possibly even very unsafe? What would be the proper way to hold that gun?

It's basically physics. The recoil impulse comes directly back, horizontally, from the barrel axis. The further down you're holding like michonne is in the pic, the more torque you're imparting on your grip. Because of that, you want your grip to be as high up as possible or "high in the tang" as they say. That's basically what that protruding nub of metal is on her gun, it's called a beavertail and allows you to stick the curve of your thumb and pointer finger as far up as you can so you have a strong positive grip on the gun. The auxiliary hand in her grip does basically nothing (so called "tea cup grip"). Overlapping hands with the "thumbs forward" grip gives you extra control.

Another thing bad about michonne's grip, and you see it in action in a later scene, is that her finger has to move in an awkward manner to engage the trigger, you can see it in the sasha crazy scene but she's basically torquing her wrist to try and fire the gun. Putting your hand high up on the tang makes trigger engagement a lot more simple.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's basically physics. The recoil impulse comes directly back, horizontally, from the barrel axis. The further down you're holding like michonne is in the pic, the more torque you're imparting on your grip. Because of that, you want your grip to be as high up as possible or "high in the tang" as they say. That's basically what that protruding nub of metal is on her gun, it's called a beavertail and allows you to stick the curve of your thumb and pointer finger as far up as you can so you have a strong positive grip on the gun. The auxiliary hand in her grip does basically nothing (so called "tea cup grip"). Overlapping hands with the "thumbs forward" grip gives you extra control.

Another thing bad about michonne's grip, and you see it in action in a later scene, is that her finger has to move in an awkward manner to engage the trigger, you can see it in the sasha crazy scene but she's basically torquing her wrist to try and fire the gun. Putting your hand high up on the tang makes trigger engagement a lot more simple.

drat that dude has a really hairy hand. Is his last name Hawkins?

(Sorry law geek http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkins_v._McGee )

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's almost as if Michonne doesn't use firearms!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VoxIsMyCowboy posted:

It's almost as if Michonne doesn't use firearms!

Correct, her weapon of choice is not a firearm, it's an anime sword, but I would think she would still have learned how to hold a couple different types of guns. Also, I think your point would stand up if she had trouble with her use of the gun in this action sequence. But she doesn't, she easily disposes of zombies and her use of that gun seemed like second nature to her. If that grip was important to her character, she should have been missing a lot, and having trouble firing the gun. So all of that said, I think the actor was holding the gun like that because it looked cool for the camera shot.

How do the other characters do in this regard? Is this an ongoing issue with the show?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 26, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

edit: ^^^ they're all terrible, tbh, but :entertainmentindustry:

she doesn't primarily use firearms, yes, but there is precedent for Rick to correct people's technique within seconds of seeing them using a gun incorrectly (see season 1, Andrea "you have the saftey on"). It is not hard to believe that Michonne has used a gun at some point around Rick.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the Your Movie Sucks recommendation, I find stuff like that quite interesting. Gonna watch it now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

To be fair it's a Beretta, no matter how you hold it it's still gonna suck

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter

GrAviTy84 posted:

The guy in the photo also needs to seriously clip his fingernails. What is it with guys these days?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ars Arcanum posted:

But yeah, I can totally appreciate Rick's frustration with Deanna and Co. They just don't get it (and they seem happy to willfully not get it).

Kind of a watership down vibe, rick being bigwig.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cactus posted:

Thanks for the Your Movie Sucks recommendation, I find stuff like that quite interesting. Gonna watch it now.

This was a great watch. A lot of the problems pointed out in this video series are still present on the show.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

I said come in! posted:

Correct, her weapon of choice is not a firearm, it's an anime sword, but I would think she would still have learned how to hold a couple different types of guns. Also, I think your point would stand up if she had trouble with her use of the gun in this action sequence. But she doesn't, she easily disposes of zombies and her use of that gun seemed like second nature to her. If that grip was important to her character, she should have been missing a lot, and having trouble firing the gun. So all of that said, I think the actor was holding the gun like that because it looked cool for the camera shot.

Probably. In truth however, she would have learned after the first shot that having it recoil back into your forehead is not optimal.

To a tfr sperg like myself, it was akin to racking the slide on a shotgun in a menacing way for dramatic effect. Now dont you make me put another fresh round in this chamber, Im warning you!

Was really hoping the guy with the new glock tree accidentally got offed by sasha during her free for all zombie fest.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Everything that happens on TV that makes Gun Goons upset is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Reivur posted:

Yeah, what are the odds that there would be another black man in tanish sleeves? I mean really? Realistically I think Morgan is still a ways away. While Rick and co traveled most of the way by car, morgan's been on foot

Fog Tripper posted:

Probably. In truth however, she would have learned after the first shot that having it recoil back into your forehead is not optimal.

This is what my old man called "learning"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread