Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

XboxPants posted:

How is "But you seem so well adjusted!" not the new thread title?

I had to replay that line several times during the show. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

New Shield did nothing wrong :colbert:

Nah gently caress them.

They're all about transparency, yet they're a super-secret "Real" SHIELD nobody knows about and is apparently not doing anything to help anyone. They're not happy with how Coulson's handling things as Director, but he and his team are the only ones out there getting down and dirty saving the day. And like Hunter said, instead of taking their concerns up with Coulson, they're just planning a coup.

I mean, I get where they're coming from (Coulson wants to follow in Fury's steps, but SHIELD under Fury's direction was a SHIELD he had no control over and got him pretend-killed), but they're going about it like a bunch of assholes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that wasn't the diner from pulp fiction was it?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Ugh, this episode gave me the creeps. From Mack being a fucker, Bobbi too, the return of Ward being weird (justifying the killing of his family as NORMAL and the killing of three innocents as necessary), Agent 33 being broken as hell and okay with sleeping with a guy as prop for his obsession, and the cherry on top of this sad sundae, Jemma continuing her hate tirade on "curing" Skye, comparing her to the Hulk in a negative sense and designing bracers with negative side-effects.

I miss Tripp. Why did he have to die again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Another great episode. This show is on a hell of a roll. Next week looks great too. Everything about Ward and 33 is great. I hope they continue to have fun adventures and show up more often as they are just the best.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 25, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want a spinoff show which is just Ward and 33 cruising through country being batshit insane together :swoon:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Bonnie and Clyde meets Mission Impossible with super powers, practically sells itself

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mrking posted:

Bonnie and Clyde meets Mission Impossible with super powers, practically sells itself

Agent 33 has super powers?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She's essentially chameleon at this point, she has a face changing mask grated on her face. Certainly a couple steps above having knives on her fingers.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

MrJacobs posted:

Agent 33 has super powers?

Well she exists in a world with superpowers.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Speaking of superpowers, do the comics reveal anything about those bracers? Were they supposed to focus her powers and amplify or muffle them entirely, so she can focus them herself?

Also, that screen of information coming from a cube Coulson was looking at before Simmons came in, is THAT what Mack's car was scanning for?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes that's the database Fury gave Coulson which is probably stuffed with secrets that can't be made public (and knowing Fury it contains even more than Phil can see.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
May's voice comming out of a Skye who was coming on to Ward was creepy and weird as hell.

Also lol at the Thread Title.

I really can't wait to see what :master: Ward has planned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
With the other hydra leaders dead if Ward brainwashes this one he'll pretty much control the remnants of the North American branch.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Nah gently caress them.

They're all about transparency, yet they're a super-secret "Real" SHIELD nobody knows about and is apparently not doing anything to help anyone. They're not happy with how Coulson's handling things as Director, but he and his team are the only ones out there getting down and dirty saving the day. And like Hunter said, instead of taking their concerns up with Coulson, they're just planning a coup.

I mean, I get where they're coming from (Coulson wants to follow in Fury's steps, but SHIELD under Fury's direction was a SHIELD he had no control over and got him pretend-killed), but they're going about it like a bunch of assholes.

This. I got mad when I saw how many loving planes and poo poo they had and had just been sitting on. I couldn't see if they had any Quinn-Jets but it wouldn't surprise me. Meanwhile Coulson's running around with minimum resources and pulling off crazy shenanigans just to scrape by. And he still practically loving wipes out Hydra in a :master:. Not to mention taking out Garrett and stopping a dozen Hydra plots. These clowns are criticizing him with nothing to show they'd be any better and haven't proven they're anywhere close to him. While undermining the good works Coulson is doing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pander posted:

How did I not know he was Nathan Patrelli in Heroes? Man. I dumb.

Because he gained like 10 lbs. of muscle since then.

Seeing the dude have a short stint in Burn Notice after Heroes was like 'whoa'.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nephthys posted:

This. I got mad when I saw how many loving planes and poo poo they had and had just been sitting on. I couldn't see if they had any Quinn-Jets but it wouldn't surprise me. Meanwhile Coulson's running around with minimum resources and pulling off crazy shenanigans just to scrape by. And he still practically loving wipes out Hydra in a :master:. Not to mention taking out Garrett and stopping a dozen Hydra plots. These clowns are criticizing him with nothing to show they'd be any better and haven't proven they're anywhere close to him. While undermining the good works Coulson is doing.
Yeah. I mean I instinctual trust Admiral Adama Edward James Olmos as a leader, but this group has done all telling and no showing. Not even all telling, more or less handwaving regarding "Coulson do bad because a teammate died trying to stop crazy alien poo poo from happening and therefore he bad!"

It seems like it's just setting up a new Big Government villain now that Talbot's a Cool Dude. There's no nuance that makes the viewer question if Olmos' crew is morally justified. I don't know, I don't wanna get all D&D but they felt like a critique of the Obama Administration regarding transparency in the intelligence/military. Talk one game, play another.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Doctor Butts posted:

Because he gained like 10 lbs. of muscle since then.

Seeing the dude have a short stint in Burn Notice after Heroes was like 'whoa'.

He'll still always be Jim Profit to me (also Caleb from Near Dark).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I feel sorry for Talbot. The guy's not stupid, but he's always stuck a few steps behing and reacting to whatever happened, with no chance to get out in front of it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Speaking of superpowers, do the comics reveal anything about those bracers? Were they supposed to focus her powers and amplify or muffle them entirely, so she can focus them herself?

Also, that screen of information coming from a cube Coulson was looking at before Simmons came in, is THAT what Mack's car was scanning for?

Quake/Daisy Johnson in the comics never had any type of gear with her. She's usually decked in your standard SHIELD gear. And I don't think it ever mentioned her fracturing her own bones. In her first appearance there's no suggestion that she doesn't have complete control over her powers.

Also worth keeping in mind she was born with her powers, though little about her actual backstory is known besides the simple fact that she's the daughter of Mr. Hyde.

The bracers kind of remind me of some other character's tech, the Spider-Man villain The Shocker

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's also totally a mutant but totally not a mutant. Probably mainly so Fox has no claims to her.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Quake/Daisy Johnson in the comics never had any type of gear with her. She's usually decked in your standard SHIELD gear. And I don't think it ever mentioned her fracturing her own bones. In her first appearance there's no suggestion that she doesn't have complete control over her powers.

Also worth keeping in mind she was born with her powers, though little about her actual backstory is known besides the simple fact that she's the daughter of Mr. Hyde.

The bracers kind of remind me of some other character's tech, the Spider-Man villain The Shocker

So, doing a Google search shows her wearing gauntlets, ranging from thinner segmented armor to big Space Marine Power Fist things.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Talbot when he furst showed up is what this new shield should be.

Understandable motivations with differing opinions on how to accomplish essentially the same end goals as Coulson (peace and security.)

It would be far more interesting if they really stood behind the transparency thing and the conflict was over secrets that just can't be made public.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pander posted:

Yeah. I mean I instinctual trust Admiral Adama Edward James Olmos as a leader, but this group has done all telling and no showing. Not even all telling, more or less handwaving regarding "Coulson do bad because a teammate died trying to stop crazy alien poo poo from happening and therefore he bad!"

They seem to be twiddling their thumbs until they get Fury's magic intel cube from Coulson

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pander posted:

It seems like it's just setting up a new Big Government villain now that Talbot's a Cool Dude. There's no nuance that makes the viewer question if Olmos' crew is morally justified. I don't know, I don't wanna get all D&D but they felt like a critique of the Obama Administration regarding transparency in the intelligence/military. Talk one game, play another.

I hate this thing that TV shows and movies do - a "named character" dies and everyone goes to poo poo, it's the worse thing ever, someone has to pay etc, but in the same shows countless nameless mooks from the same organisation die with no one giving a poo poo.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
With this weird "Real SHIELD" stuff going on, I'm beginning to wonder if that's a cover for something that will be revealed after Age of Ultron, the way Centipede covered for Hydra in season 1. Or maybe--and this is pure speculation--they established a "Real SHIELD" so that Ultron can lay waste to a currently-rebuilding SHIELD without actually wrecking Coulson's crew.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone else find the scene where the general drew on his wife a little upsetting?

It was being played for laughs, and the initial freak out on his part was funny, but it went on too long and the distress was played by the actress very straight and it was really offputting, then followed by "I'll be buying edible arrangements for months! Lol!" scene. It was just kind of icky.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

greatn posted:

Anyone else find the scene where the general drew on his wife a little upsetting?

It was being played for laughs, and the initial freak out on his part was funny, but it went on too long and the distress was played by the actress very straight and it was really offputting, then followed by "I'll be buying edible arrangements for months! Lol!" scene. It was just kind of icky.

It wasn't a comedy scene in my viewing. I found it sad and upsetting, and I assumed that was the intention.

Pasdar is being set up to be incredibly anti-powers, which may play a role in AOS' buildup to Civil War in the future. They're planting seeds.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Would anyone who has read the AoS comic recommend it? I try to limit my issue-by-issue buying to the bare essentials, but hearing that Fitz has a monkey might make me add it to the rotation. Also, how do they rectify Skye being Daisy Johnson, but Daisy is in space with a cool-rear end alien assassin Bucky? Is it not 616?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Would anyone who has read the AoS comic recommend it? I try to limit my issue-by-issue buying to the bare essentials, but hearing that Fitz has a monkey might make me add it to the rotation. Also, how do they rectify Skye being Daisy Johnson, but Daisy is in space with a cool-rear end alien assassin Bucky? Is it not 616?

So far it's just Coulson, Fitz, Simmons and May. Skye isn't there or mentioned, and as far as I can recall neither are the Season Two people. It's purely 616.

Edit: And it's basically Mark Waid giving Coulson weird adventures with various other characters so far. Fun stuff.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

(also Caleb from Near Dark).

Holy poo poo. I did not make that connection.

Pan Dulce posted:

Could anyone make out anything that Coulson was looking at there? Or was it just digital salad?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Pasdar is being set up to be incredibly anti-powers, which may play a role in AOS' buildup to Civil War in the future. They're planting seeds.

I didn't really see him as anti-powers, so much as anti-fuckery. He came off as genuinely annoyed about "that mask" being back in play. He just hate's wacky spy hijinks because it's antithetical to his worldview. It's why he at first hated, but now he accepts Coulson.

At first SHIELD Classic was looking like off the rails spy dickery that was going to cause everyone (as defined as the US Armed Forces) trouble. Now, Coulson has shown that he can play ball, and that Talbot can farm out all or most of the shenanigans to him. So it's a win/win. Talbot/the government/whatever can get all the upsides of SHIELD Classic being out there doing work, but with none of the downsides of having to deal with it. I imagine that if SHIELD Classic can get out in front of the Inhuman "problem" before it blows up a(nother) city, Talbot won't give the first gently caress about them, and be more than happy to employ a few.

Original Flavor Extra Tasty SHIELD will do everything conceivable to poo poo that up, because "LOL TRANSPARENCY".

I did like that Coulson isn't comfortable with the decisions he made RE: Daisy Skye Poots, and that he's actually considering if he did the right thing without a "big moment" making him change his mind.

I also enjoyed Fitz dropping a truth bomb on Simmons. She's not being her best self, and it was past time someone brought it up.

I think Hunter is still on the carrier, looking for a way to call back, or planning on stowing away on the next flight out. Further, I'd bet Bobbi ends up being that flight, knowing Hunters on board, and deciding to double reverse cross Original Flavor Extra Tasty SHIELD.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

OB_Juan posted:

I also enjoyed Fitz dropping a truth bomb on Simmons. She's not being her best self, and it was past time someone brought it up.
As an aside, is this a random Dollhouse reference?

quote:

I think Hunter is still on the carrier, looking for a way to call back, or planning on stowing away on the next flight out. Further, I'd bet Bobbi ends up being that flight, knowing Hunters on board, and deciding to double reverse cross Original Flavor Extra Tasty SHIELD.
That was my impression too. If you don't actually SEE Hunter piloting the sub, he's probably not in there. Not so sure about Bobbi double-crossing. It seems too obvious I guess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

[

Fun fact: According to Chloe Bennett, the synchronous Twizzler eating was completely unintended.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
With comparing Skye to the Hulk, it really makes me want to see Mark Ruffalo show up in the future to work with her.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

With comparing Skye to the Hulk, it really makes me want to see Mark Ruffalo show up in the future to work with her.

Honestly of all the avengers, I think he's pretty high on the cameo possibility list.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jamesman posted:

That would be really cool. Even (or especially) if they set it up so he never actually hulks out. I just love seeing Ruffalo-as-Banner.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I feel so bad for Agent 33. It's like watching a trainwreck in progress.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PunkBoy posted:

Fun fact: According to Chloe Bennett, the synchronous Twizzler eating was completely unintended.

Really? That was the bast moment in that scene..

Pander posted:

As an aside, is this a random Dollhouse reference?

Nope. I've actually forgotten most of Dollhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sir Nose posted:

Could anyone make out anything that Coulson was looking at there? Or was it just digital salad?

I couldn't make out anything specific. I get the strong impression that what that is is all of Fury's secret, secret stuff. Things that didn't get released with the rest of the Shield files, like all of his hidden bases and such.

I would imagine that's what Mack's car was scanning for, the scan glowed right on the front of the desk where the cube would be seated.

• Locked thread