Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not saying Landis is blameless, but he broke one state law, which he admitted to, and is a misdemeanor (and the DA declined to prosecute him on it for whatever reasons). Not dozens, not federal, nothing on the throw-your-rear end-in-jail spectrum. And I assume if you or I got two children killed they'd give us a trial before we went to jail, and you know what, they tried him for the deaths, and a jury found him not guilty. It was a terrible, tragic accident. Nobody was trying to kill children. Nobody even intended to put them in danger. People took stupid risks, a bunch of things all went wrong all at once, and three people lost their lives. It's loving horrible. It is not necessarily criminal. It is drat sure not "unrepentant child murder" and how dare his son ever talk to him again.

Child labor laws, tax evasion laws (paying the kids under the table), reckless endangerment (involving underage untrained actors in a scene with explosives), there's got to be something involved hiding them from safety workers etc. etc. Nobody was trying to kill children, sure, but they knowingly and willingly put them in danger for the purposes of shooting a scene they knew the city wouldn't approve of. And he was acquitted and he continued to have a successful career!

My point isn't about how guilty he is in the incident, it's that rich people rarely take responsibility for something that would land literally anyone in this thread behind bars with their career destroyed. Like if a construction worker ignored a safety violation that resulted in even one person's death he shouldn't be a construction worker anymore, how does that not make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

People should hate John Landis because of Beverly Hills Cop III.

That's fair.

WickedHate posted:

I would. It's the fact that he used his wealth and fame to get out of it that cements it. If it was -just- an accident and he went to jail and properly found redemption, it'd be different.

I legit wish I had an avatar as cool as D_T's.

You're a dumbass and kinda creepy.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

WickedHate posted:

I would. It's the fact that he used his wealth and fame to get out of it that cements it. If it was -just- an accident and he went to jail and properly found redemption, it'd be different.

I legit wish I had an avatar as cool as D_T's.

If it was an accident why should he go to jail? How is anything made better by that? Or is this the same part of your brain that thinks Rorschach was the good guy?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rhyno posted:

American Werewolf gives him a pass for whatever other bad films he makes.

(Twilight Zone stuff excluded)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint American Werewolf in London.

edit: beaten

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

(Twilight Zone stuff excluded)

Lets not forget National Lampoon's Animal House, Thriller, and The Blues Brothers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zachack posted:

If it was an accident why should he go to jail? How is anything made better by that? Or is this the same part of your brain that thinks Rorschach was the good guy?
There's a concept called willful negligence and a forum named Debate & Discussion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

Accidents where there's a clear line of negligence by the accused tend to lead to a guilty verdict in criminal cases. See: accidents caused by drunk drivers. They didn't MEAN to hit another car, but they were hammered and behind the wheel and that *is* their fault.

I'm not at all familiar with the Landis case beyond what's on Wiki, so I won't comment, but if what al-azad is saying is accurate, imprisonment wouldn't be an at all unusual punishment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Landis is a good director who made a negligent decision and continued to have a successful career which makes me bitter.

Now Roman Polanski is actual human garbage and continues to have a successful career and that just makes me mad.

e: It also makes me mad Chinatown is such an important film to me and the old adage "never meet your heroes" has never been truer.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

al-azad posted:

Landis is a good director who made a negligent decision and continued to have a successful career which makes me bitter.

Now Roman Polanski is actual human garbage and continues to have a successful career and that just makes me mad.

Yeah, but Chinatown is such a great movie.

Edit: ha, just saw your edit. Pretend I said Rosemary's Baby instead.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Accidents where there's a clear line of negligence by the accused tend to lead to a guilty verdict in criminal cases. See: accidents caused by drunk drivers. They didn't MEAN to hit another car, but they were hammered and behind the wheel and that *is* their fault.

Like another famous sufferer of affluenza.

Skwirl posted:

You're a dumbass and kinda creepy.

I am, but not right at this moment.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

he made that movie? that's bizarre, learn something new every day.

his last movie, Burke & Hare, was pretty bad too. wasted a pretty great cast (Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Isla Fisher, Tom Wilkinson, and Tim Curry - although Tim Curry at least was clearly having a lot of fun) and a solid premise.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget National Lampoon's Animal House, Thriller, and The Blues Brothers.

I don't care for Animal House or Blues Brother but yeah Thriller also falls under one of those next level things, everything else you can do is poo poo because you've earned it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he made that movie? that's bizarre, learn something new every day.

his last movie, Burke & Hare, was pretty bad too. wasted a pretty great cast (Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Isla Fisher, Tom Wilkinson, and Tim Curry - although Tim Curry at least was clearly having a lot of fun) and a solid premise.

I was going to say just pretend he stopped with Coming to America but I liked The Stupids growing up and that dumb song.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I was going to say just pretend he stopped with Coming to America but I liked The Stupids growing up and that dumb song.

his episode of Masters of Horror was actually pretty awesome

edit: apparently he did more than one episode so to clarify, i'm referring to Deer Woman. it's about a woman who turns into a deer and stomps on guys' dicks until their dicks fall off. two thumbs up.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 25, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'll have to give Masters of Horror another shot again. I tried Jenifer and Incident On and Off a Mountain Road and thought it better to not tarnish any other director's I liked memories.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

There's a concept called willful negligence and a forum named Debate & Discussion.

I'm familiar with both but the comment I responded to did not indicate criminal negligence, or so I presumed from the accent on "just". Drunk driving deaths obviously fall into this territory but I think are typically considered the extreme end of the spectrum due to the entire process of getting drunk, driving, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

I heard some podcaster credit Landis for making "American Werewolf in Paris" and I was like, yeah, that's about what he deserves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I'll have to give Masters of Horror another shot again. I tried Jenifer and Incident On and Off a Mountain Road and thought it better to not tarnish any other director's I liked memories.

Cigarette Burns is loving amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

Masters of Horror is usually too grimdark. Nearly all of it's episodes try way, way too hard to be edgy. Too much of the horror genre in general is like that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

It probably is time for me to give Carpenter stuff a chance again after Vampires given that he released the album of the year a few weeks back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's strange, I love the horror genre but when it comes to horror anthology I vastly prefer it to be as campy as possible. Creepshow, Tales From the Crypt, and Freddy's Nightmare were my poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anthologies gotta be fun, it'd be too exhausting if they were 100% horrifying one after the other.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

nah watch Sick Girl and Deer Woman and The Black Cat and that's pretty much it. most of the rest are really bad. i kinda liked Mountain Road, but then i'm a huge sucker for Joe R. Lansdale. Sick Girl's the only one i'd call a must-watch.

al-azad posted:

It's strange, I love the horror genre but when it comes to horror anthology I vastly prefer it to be as campy as possible. Creepshow, Tales From the Crypt, and Freddy's Nightmare were my poo poo.

Tales From the Crypt is pretty much the pinnacle of TV as a medium

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Like another famous sufferer of affluenza.

Remember when Laura Bush killed a guy with her car in 1963 and suffered no consequences?

The rich really do live different lives than you or I...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think Tales from the Darkside and Monsters are the best horror anthologies, they hit exactly the right balence of tone , their stories are wonderful, and just look at those intros.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Remember when Laura Bush killed a guy with her car in 1963 and suffered no consequences?

The rich really do live different lives than you or I...

That Family Guy joke where people keep repeating "Laura Bush killed a guy" over and over should be the reality for these fucks. I guess it works out karmically in her particular case though, since it was apparently a close friend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Should I take a ghetto blaster out and start playing "Fight the power"?

Please tell me I can get a ghetto blaster out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Hell yeah! Row, row!

Errr, we might be thinking of different things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

Is there ever a time you can't get out a ghetto blaster?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Len posted:

Is there ever a time you can't get out a ghetto blaster?

Bad News Brown's funeral.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Boycott Max Brooks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I don't care for Animal House or Blues Brother but yeah Thriller also falls under one of those next level things, everything else you can do is poo poo because you've earned it.
Achievement unlocked: Wrongest opinion

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shawn posted:

Boycott Max Brooks!

but i love that 2000 year old man bit! here, you be Carl Reiner and I'll be Police Chief Wiggum.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Mel Brooks burned down a village for the opening credits of Robin Hood Men In Tights!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shawn posted:

Mel Brooks burned down a village for the opening credits of Robin Hood Men In Tights!

if Max Brooks has so much as spoken to him since then, he's a true piece of poo poo

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Man, if Men in Tights is as bad as child murder I only shudder to think of what Dracula: Dead and Loving It must be comparable to. The Holocaust?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That didn't end well for Radio Raheem. Maybe if he was a rich Hollywood director...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SomeMathGuy posted:

Man, if Men in Tights is as bad as child murder I only shudder to think of what Dracula: Dead and Loving It must be comparable to. The Holocaust?

Then that would make him the only Jew worse than hitler.

... Which I think might be a career goal for him.

I'm sure there are, infact, Jewish men who have arguably done just as many atrocities as hitler, but the John Landis derail was bad enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's the only post-In the Mouth of Madness Carpenter that I like. Even if it's mainly a rehash of In the Mouth of Madness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm sure there are, infact, Jewish men who have arguably done just as many atrocities as hitler, but the John Landis derail was bad enough.

Yea. Not really, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

What the gently caress

• Locked thread