Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bad GM: What do you think is in the dungeon, my special snowflakes?

Good GM: You encounter three orcs! Roll for initiative, men!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think that reverse game, or just a game mechanic where the dice provide the event, then the player provides then means&motive, is like being a historian or a detective. Reconstructing a little chain of events or understanding people based on current evidence, I guess.
Or those self-help things that tell you to visualize succes and work back to your present state.
Or the Midnighter?

And of course, you've got to figure out how to tune the Determinism RPG so that it doesn't turn into the FATALism RPG.

OtspIII posted:

Retrocausality might be your thing.
EDIT: I haven't actually played this so I can't really describe it or say for sure it's relevant, but it was made my a poster in this thread and the stuff people say about it makes it sound super cool so it's probably worth checking out either way.

I have a super powerful consumable magic item I drop in games sometimes that seems to do nothing when you first use it, but then after doing stuff for an hour or so you suddenly shoot back in time to when you used it and realize it was all just a vision of the future. You then get to go either "yeah, we do exactly that" and fast forward through just doing all that stuff again exactly or pick a point in time to diverge from the vision and just start playing again normally from there. It works okay as something that shows up EXTREMELY rarely, or possibly as a quest item, but it's not something that'd work as a Vancian spell or 1/day ability.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The description doesn't really say much and neither does the sample, but it doesn't really seem like what I'm looking for.

Cool implementation of that kind of effect, though.
Think it's possible to build a class or game around it? Like, most divination in games seems to boil down to just pluses and minuses in a fight, as you predict the opponents' moves or whatever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bad GM: What do you think is in the dungeon, my special snowflakes?

Good GM: You encounter three orcs! Roll for initiative, men!

Better GM: So what you guys want to do? *stealthly pulls monkey paw out of backpack while smiling deviously*

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

PurpleXVI posted:

Low Law, high Guild, hang all characters with Bloodlines so they can't interfere with the Invisible Hand of the Free Market?

Low Law, no Taxes, everything is funded by killing monsters and taking their stuff. And then he founded a Bank.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

The Real Foogla posted:

Low Law, no Taxes, everything is funded by killing monsters and taking their stuff. And then he founded a Bank.

I've encountered this more in superhero games (probably because of playing a lot of superheroes) and it's usually a problem caused by players running super-scientist sorts. The answer to the problem was not 'restrict super scientists heavily' but explicitly state to the players that trying to upend the gameworld with their revolutionary tech was not okay and not what the game was about. Once that was explained and they generally stopped trying to be smarter than the genre everything was fine.

Of course, I've also played games that were about revolutionizing the gameworld and they were fun too--but again the expectations had to be laid out more directly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I would totally play in a game where we just founded a bank in a world where gold comes from monster-killing. Imagine the hijinks as you fight other banks and develop more and more sophisticated ways of killing monsters to generate loot to buy out your competitors. Game ends when you own/destroy all the other banks or have hunted all the monsters to extinction.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Serf posted:

I would totally play in a game where we just founded a bank in a world where gold comes from monster-killing. Imagine the hijinks as you fight other banks and develop more and more sophisticated ways of killing monsters to generate loot to buy out your competitors. Game ends when you own/destroy all the other banks or have hunted all the monsters to extinction.

Monster Hunter x Shadowrun? Sounds...interesting.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

Did any of those make it into the final game? At all?
Sort of. A little bit. But not really.

The Three Pillars as we discussed them on the boards are dead. They went completely 180 on that even before the playtest dropped. In a sane world, everyone would have a similar split between combat/exploration/interaction so regardless of what flavor of campaign or whims of the DM you always have something interesting to do.

Instead we got a later essay about how the fighter would be 100/0/0 vs a bard being 30/20/50 or whatever. And that's basically what we ended up with. The champion fighter has a tiny dip in exploration in that it can jump a little higher than normal and is otherwise 100% (really terrible) combat stuff. And of course casters probably add up to more than 100% if the fighter is your baseline.

They did flatten the math a bit, but we still have +hit items (and +stat items :doh:). Which are now technically optional (unless you want to fight a lich or other monster immune to mundane weapons!). But the monster math is obfuscated enough that it's really tough to tell whether that's actually true or not in the 4e +~1/level guided progression sense. And based on most accounts, damage output slows way down compared to HP increases as you go up in levels. Which makes the early levels (which, ideally, should be the easiest, since new players are just figuring things out) into some seriously dangerous rocket tag.

And I think I partially covered "mythic fighters" above, but ha, no. Not even a little. Spellcasters rule the roost again. In some ways I think it might even be a little worse than 3.x, because even though a lot of martials get some neat toys, the relaxed Vancian casting and the extra toys a lot of spellcasters get are really, really good.

As an example, I picked a Light domain cleric as one of my characters because we needed a healer and it sounded neat. But not only can he memorize 12 spells per day at level 4 (4 of which are based on domain), his Channel Divinity feature (which can currently be done once per short rest) is almost as good at clearing rooms as a Fireball spell. And I could do that at 2nd level, while Fireball doesn't come online until 5th. Also, Fireball is a domain spell for me. Plus the DM gave me a staff with healing spell charges (that recharge each day), so I don't actually have to spend my spell slots on healing.

I mean, I've been having a decent amount of fun in the two campaigns I'm in. But that's probably due to the people. Now that both campaigns are getting into the 4-5 level range and combat is slowing down to heroic 4e levels (due to the HP scaling stuff mentioned above) and 3rd level spells are coming online, the problems are probably only going to get worse.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Fantastic inspiration for Numenera and a great 7 minute watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32vlOgN_3QQ

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Serf posted:

Yeah, no lie, this actually sounds pretty fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serf posted:

Clearly you need to find monsters which both drop loot, and don't reproduce through biological means, figure out the conditions for them spawning, then build a giant Minecraft-style monster grinder.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

I've got a serious, if rather poorly worded question. Are there any games that deal with, like, predestination?
Not necessarily time travel, but maybe a game that runs backwards, where you begin at the end and play to uncover each step that lead to it.

I guess what I should ask, is there a Doctor Manhattan RPG?

Microscope is very good at this (the Doctor Manhattan on Mars issue is very close to being an actual play report), and I love it a lot, but it very much tests the boundaries of what can be considered an RPG.

Serf posted:

I have come very close to doing this with Reign, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Serf posted:

Have you guys heard the Salt Mine Pathfinder story?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

I've encountered this more in superhero games (probably because of playing a lot of superheroes) and it's usually a problem caused by players running super-scientist sorts. The answer to the problem was not 'restrict super scientists heavily' but explicitly state to the players that trying to upend the gameworld with their revolutionary tech was not okay and not what the game was about. Once that was explained and they generally stopped trying to be smarter than the genre everything was fine.

Of course, I've also played games that were about revolutionizing the gameworld and they were fun too--but again the expectations had to be laid out more directly.

There was a shared world anthology series that had a useful solution for this. Super Science works for super scientists in their presence. Anyone else tries to replicate it and it just doesn't work. Or if they make something and die, the item stops working.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thomamelas posted:

There was a shared world anthology series that had a useful solution for this. Super Science works for super scientists in their presence. Anyone else tries to replicate it and it just doesn't work. Or if they make something and die, the item stops working.

The Worm webserial also handled it elegantly with their 'Tinkers' powers.

Think about how buggy and in need of tech support your average piece of computer tech is. Even things that are widely used tend to breakdown without regular updates, reboots, and defrags.

So every piece of supertech is not only unique, having its own unique bugs, but it represents a time investment on the part of the tinker even after its been built to keep it running (see Tony Stark and his suits)

So a tinker can only realistically provide tech support for the gear they use regularly, and maybe a few other things that they made for friends or partners, and still have the time necessary for building new poo poo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Error 404 posted:

The Worm webserial also handled it elegantly with their 'Tinkers' powers.

Think about how buggy and in need of tech support your average piece of computer tech is. Even things that are widely used tend to breakdown without regular updates, reboots, and defrags.

So every piece of supertech is not only unique, having its own unique bugs, but it represents a time investment on the part of the tinker even after its been built to keep it running (see Tony Stark and his suits)

So a tinker can only realistically provide tech support for the gear they use regularly, and maybe a few other things that they made for friends or partners, and still have the time necessary for building new poo poo.

It's actually worse than this in Worm, Wildbow eventually clarified that it's essentially the tinker version of a Manton limit that they can't make stuff that can be maintained by non-tinkers. The designs in their heads are deliberately sabotaged, and in Eden's perfect world, that was different. Tinkers could do less, but their tech could be mass produced.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's actually worse than this in Worm, Wildbow eventually clarified that it's essentially the tinker version of a Manton limit that they can't make stuff that can be maintained by non-tinkers. The designs in their heads are deliberately sabotaged, and in Eden's perfect world, that was different. Tinkers could do less, but their tech could be mass produced.

Well yes, but that's specific to Worm, I was mostly going for a cliff's notes that could be easily ported over into something else.

The moral of the story is: Read Worm, Worm owns.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Blue Rose is coming back, and Chris Pramas is coming out swinging.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ted Pundy's also started up about it. Haha

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nice. Good work Chris Pramas.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Excellent!

(I kinda didn't get the reference to the "Supreme Court has declared racism to be over" part. When did this happen?)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

When they overturned key parts of the Voting Rights Act. I want to say it was last year.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Error 404 posted:

Ted Pundy's also started up about it. Haha
Ettin, please reopen grognards.txt

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Re-open, and then just banhammer anyone who brings up gamer gate and poo poo.

I was actually rereading the first thread a while ago and I miss it so much. :-(

Like, it's a worthy topic, but not for that thread. Just let me laugh at my DMing capes, guys.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grognards were so much better in the old days. You had the Dungeon Master's Mask, and people charging money to DM, and the Synnibarr guy trying to start some kind of sexy chicks TV channel in a blatantly transparent attempt to find a date. These days it's all just ugly reactionism. Nobody needs a compilation of that poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was actually rereading the first thread a while ago and I miss it so much. :-(

Like, it's a worthy topic, but not for that thread. Just let me laugh at my DMing capes, guys.

The mine has run dry. The reason it was all ugly poo poo was because there isn't really that much more DM-Mask-type posts out there. We've been mining for years, there is only so much funny grog to take from the internet.

I really, really like this. I hope it doesn't turn out to be hot air. Not to be a debbie downer, but how likely is it that the game itself will be really good?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 25, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The original Blue Rose was--decent, I thought, having read it ages back. If you like that kind of fantasy the setting fluff is fine for it.

The system was the D20 derivation that eventually became True20 and again, if you like that kind of thing it was okay. I am not a fan of classes and levels so much so it didn't do much for me but I could see it was at least a bit cleaner than stock D&D. Not that this is hard. I have never played the DA RPG they say they plan to use for this one but I heard from some folks that it was unfairly maligned.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

What in the sam hain is a Gamer Gate?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Really Pants posted:

Grognards were so much better in the old days.

I see what you did there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Covok posted:

I really, really like this. I hope it doesn't turn out to be hot air. Not to be a debbie downer, but how likely is it that the game itself will be really good?

Blue Rose did what is set out to do very well. Now they're updating it to the Dragon Age RPG system which I've heard good things about from my fellow crunch loving nerds, but never personally played. Green Ronin has an overall good track record for inclusivity (minus the mistake of letting Wayne Reynolds draw their covers) and solid crunchy material. They made the Song of Ice and Fire RPG in addition to the aforementioned Dragon Age RPG, True20, and Blue Rose if that helps.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What in the sam hain is a Gamer Gate?

you mean haight, surely

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Grognards were so much better in the old days.
Isolation produces the hilarious type of crazy. With the internet that sort of localized grog is much harder to find, because they will instead join one of the larger grog group thinks. For instance many of them join Something Awful or the Paizo boards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't. G.txt made me the rage-filled nerd I am today. Plus other reasons.

I had like, what, three major meltdown posts in the original thread?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Covok posted:

The mine has run dry. The reason it was all ugly poo poo was because there isn't really that much more DM-Mask-type posts out there. We've been mining for years, there is only so much funny grog to take from the internet.

So we've reached peak grog and now it's time to find fresh, sustainable sources of lovely people?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PurpleXVI posted:

So we've reached peak grog and now it's time to find fresh, sustainable sources of lovely people?

N
O

I
T
S

N
O
T

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PurpleXVI posted:

Now you're just straining a metaphor.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

It's a SA curse that any thread that is made to laugh at something either
A: turns into ironic appreciation that evolves into unironic,
B: has people saying "well not all x is bad I mean I'm one and..." which leads to A
C: people start obsessing in a sick degree to how much they hate the subject and make it their identity.
D: All of the above.

Thankfully the last years have threads that don't even take time to become one of these. Bless GBS and their hatred of the autistic pizza guy and the hot dog man.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

It was running dry long before the Horrible People decided to declare war on decency. I don't remember how many "4e is WoW lol" posts my eyes skipped over in the original thread after the first few dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's not unusual as a limit in some superhero settings, particularly post-modern ones, that super-inventions are essentially a manifestation or extension of one's powers and can't be reproduced by others, since those powers are generally unique in nature. (This also explains their ability to generally flout the laws of science.) Wild Cards did this for some characters, IIRC, wayyy back in the day.

• Locked thread