Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Sprint completes their 4G network, bringing speeds up to 1 mbit to hundreds of subscribers. In other news, Verizon announces their new 8G network, to be completed within a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
Does anyone know how the Loyalty Credit program works at Bestbuy? When I look through my Sprint account online I see that I have the option to lease, but Bestbuy makes it sound like they run a credit check. Or are they simply taking a look at what Sprint says?

Edit: I went to Bestbuy and was informed that they just pull whatever information is available from Sprint.

thenakedflip fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 23, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

theblackw0lf posted:

So Sprint's unlimited data is extremely appealing to me. But I'm concerned about coverage and speed. Doing some research on the internet is yielding some mixed messages regarding this.

What are people's experiences regarding coverage, reliability, and data speed on LTE networks?

And is "unlimited" really unlimited?

Where do you live?

Sprint is still the worst of the major networks. I'm in the Chicago market and I still can't (and have never been able to) reliably stream anything in a car ride because of the pockets of 4g/3g and the phone constantly switching between them. My LTE speeds average 2-5mbps and 3G is almost always sub 1mbps (my most recent speedtest results on 3G are .12mbps). For a market that is supposedly "finished" with the LTE rollout, I am still on 3G fairly often so I think it's worth noting that observation so you're not making your decision thinking you will be on their LTE network all the time. Ironically, their service is best at my house where I need it the least because of wifi.

However, despite the slow terrible speeds of 3G it's still not as bad as it was a couple years ago when they started the LTE rollout. Back then being on 3G basically meant no data at all, whereas right now I can at least do stuff on 3G like send emails and read the awful app, so that's progress in my opinion.

I get a discounted rate through Sprint and I wouldn't recommend Sprint to anyone unless they can get it at a deep discount over other carriers. It's really pretty bad especially compared to Verizon and AT&T, even TMo in some markets. And yeah, unlimited is unlimited. I routinely use 5-10gb a month without any issues. I would hate to be on a 2gb cap under the other carriers or whatever they're doing these days.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 25, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
How are you using 5 GB/mo if the service is so terrible?

I didn't break 2 GB in a month, rarely even 1 GB, until LTE was good enough to do reliable streaming.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I pull 8-10 GB/month now on Sprint. Yay Sprint!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone else having issues with text messages? I just got bombed with messages people sent last night, and apparently one I sent my sister this morning never got there.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm going to Canada (from NYC) for a week next month, how does this work? Should I go to a Sprint store and get switched over to some temporary international plan or something?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

change my name posted:

I'm going to Canada (from NYC) for a week next month, how does this work? Should I go to a Sprint store and get switched over to some temporary international plan or something?

Just call and ask for the Canada Roaming Plan. It's $2.99/mo for reduced rates.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You will get a text from Sprint to opt in once you cross the border and roam, if your device can.

Check your data roaming settings too on the bill, but if u are going to be up for a while get the plan. I used it alot on Nextel because my phone would decide I am on Telus in the middle of my NY city.

quote:

In Canada to call US dial 1-area code-number. Without add-on, Calls: $0.59/min, Data: $0.002/KB, Txt: $0.20. Sprint Care 1-817-698-4199

As of 7/2014

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Is SERO worth the hassle of dealing with Sprint customer service? My Katana DLX still works, but not having a smartphone is this decade's "I don't own a television." Considering getting a Galaxy S6--I got the Katana with the $30 SERO 500 plan back in 2007, and I guess a 4G phone means signing up for SERO Premium.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Contingency posted:

Is SERO worth the hassle of dealing with Sprint customer service?
No, much better to drop it and pay an extra $30-50/mo indefinitely to avoid a 30 minute phone call.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Contingency posted:

Is SERO worth the hassle of dealing with Sprint customer service? My Katana DLX still works, but not having a smartphone is this decade's "I don't own a television." Considering getting a Galaxy S6--I got the Katana with the $30 SERO 500 plan back in 2007, and I guess a 4G phone means signing up for SERO Premium.

You'll be fine, just call 866-264-1282 or 888-603-7981 and they'll adjust your plan to SERO P.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just call and ask for the Canada Roaming Plan. It's $2.99/mo for reduced rates.
You don't even have to call, it can be added as a feature online.

If I recall from my last trip, the $3/mo charge is prorated too. So if you only use it for a week, it's like 75¢. Just be sure to turn the feature off when you get back.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Everything has been fine since I switched except that my phones have not been on my bill (iPhone 6 and a 6 plus on easy pay). I'm thinking that the sales guy messed it up and didn't get the phones on the bill. Do they ever just take 2-3 months to start billing for that or do I need to call then to get them to fix it?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I need to get a new phone for my fiance and she wants the S6 and i have an upgrade available on my phone I want to let her use. What is the best way to do this? Also I haven't bought a phone since the note 2 so is there a special plan or way to do this? I think currently we have the 1,500 minute plan with unlimited data and unlimited nights and weekends.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
What is this SERO people speak of and how can it save me money on my exorbitant Sprint bill?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Golbez posted:

What is this SERO people speak of and how can it save me money on my exorbitant Sprint bill?

It's a very old plan you can't get any more. You can't even buy a line with it off someone else unless you already have another line with that plan already.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

fyallm posted:

So I need to get a new phone for my fiance and she wants the S6 and i have an upgrade available on my phone I want to let her use. What is the best way to do this? Also I haven't bought a phone since the note 2 so is there a special plan or way to do this? I think currently we have the 1,500 minute plan with unlimited data and unlimited nights and weekends.

Just use the upgrade and then activate it on her line. You might have to call them to do this but otherwise there's nothing special to be done. You can be honest with them about what you are doing, it's fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

2 things:

1. Great dedication having a Katana DLX. I hve worked in wireless 6 years, and that phone was discontinued before my career started.

2. Sanyo flip phones were tanks. I still think the 3810 in particular was the best flip phone ever.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

the littlest prince posted:

Just use the upgrade and then activate it on her line. You might have to call them to do this but otherwise there's nothing special to be done. You can be honest with them about what you are doing, it's fine.

And I won't have to switch to this pay monthly for the phone thing and keep my unlimited?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

WoG posted:

No, much better to drop it and pay an extra $30-50/mo indefinitely to avoid a 30 minute phone call.

Well, here's the thing:
Pre-smartphone, paying $150 for a phone and then getting a $20-30/month discount forever with SERO was a pretty sweet deal.
Today, I can get a 32 GB Galaxy S6 Edge on the Sprint website for $768 retail, and to use it with SERO, I'd have to pay $50 a month ($20 above what I'm on now).
$50 a month is venturing into prepaid territory, which doesn't require a contract or dealing with Sprint customer service. Since smartphones are firmly entrenched in the bad old days era of security, I should not expect to keep this phone for more than three years. $768/36=$21.33, so the effective rate with SERO is $71/mo. With the $60 unlimited plan, I can get the phone with a two year contract and $300 up front, for an effective rate of $60 + ($300/36) = $68.33. SERO doesn't seem to be nearly as competitive as it used to be--that's why I'm asking around, to see if I'm missing anything. Googling around shows some people getting subsidized phones with their SERO plan; I wasn't aware that was possible, and couldn't find much in the way of details.

Duckman2008 posted:

2 things:

1. Great dedication having a Katana DLX. I hve worked in wireless 6 years, and that phone was discontinued before my career started.

2. Sanyo flip phones were tanks. I still think the 3810 in particular was the best flip phone ever.

Oh yeah--I've been waiting for this phone to break to get a replacement, but it's been 7 and a half years as of last month. Battery finally went out in 2013; paid $6.75 for the replacement. Does 3G internet, even if it's on a 2" display. If I wasn't being pressured to start texting, I'd try to keep it for a decade.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

You'll be fine, just call 866-264-1282 or 888-603-7981 and they'll adjust your plan to SERO P.

How does that work with new phones? You sign up for SERO Premium, then once that's done, you have them add the new phone to your account?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Contingency posted:

Well, here's the thing:
Pre-smartphone, paying $150 for a phone and then getting a $20-30/month discount forever with SERO was a pretty sweet deal.
Today, I can get a 32 GB Galaxy S6 Edge on the Sprint website for $768 retail, and to use it with SERO, I'd have to pay $50 a month ($20 above what I'm on now).
$50 a month is venturing into prepaid territory, which doesn't require a contract or dealing with Sprint customer service. Since smartphones are firmly entrenched in the bad old days era of security, I should not expect to keep this phone for more than three years. $768/36=$21.33, so the effective rate with SERO is $71/mo. With the $60 unlimited plan, I can get the phone with a two year contract and $300 up front, for an effective rate of $60 + ($300/36) = $68.33. SERO doesn't seem to be nearly as competitive as it used to be--that's why I'm asking around, to see if I'm missing anything. Googling around shows some people getting subsidized phones with their SERO plan; I wasn't aware that was possible, and couldn't find much in the way of details.

Oh yeah--I've been waiting for this phone to break to get a replacement, but it's been 7 and a half years as of last month. Battery finally went out in 2013; paid $6.75 for the replacement. Does 3G internet, even if it's on a 2" display. If I wasn't being pressured to start texting, I'd try to keep it for a decade.

How does that work with new phones? You sign up for SERO Premium, then once that's done, you have them add the new phone to your account?

Call them up to switch to SERO Premium and then talk to telesales to get your phone upgrade done (for whatever phone you decide on). They'll give you the subsidized price and lock you in for another two-year contract.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, one of the advantages of sticking with SERO, as opposed to prepaid services, is that you get the subsidized price on phones.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Contingency posted:

Well, here's the thing:
Like the others said, you get subsidized pricing on phones on SERO, every 2 years you get an upgrade.

So I paid $200 for my iPhone 6, and going by your model, using it for 3 years, that works out to $5.55/mo. So $55.55/mo. for your effective rate. And if you upgrade when you're eligible, getting a new phone in 2 years instead of 3, it only goes up to 58.33/mo.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Kreeblah posted:

Call them up to switch to SERO Premium and then talk to telesales to get your phone upgrade done (for whatever phone you decide on). They'll give you the subsidized price and lock you in for another two-year contract.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Like the others said, you get subsidized pricing on phones on SERO, every 2 years you get an upgrade.

So I paid $200 for my iPhone 6, and going by your model, using it for 3 years, that works out to $5.55/mo. So $55.55/mo. for your effective rate. And if you upgrade when you're eligible, getting a new phone in 2 years instead of 3, it only goes up to 58.33/mo.

Thanks--SERO is a no-brainer if it provides a phone subsidy. Glad I asked before pulling the trigger on buying the phone outright.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How are you using 5 GB/mo if the service is so terrible?

I didn't break 2 GB in a month, rarely even 1 GB, until LTE was good enough to do reliable streaming.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

My LTE speeds average 2-5mbps

LTE is good enough to do reliable streaming, it's just spotty. When you're in an area with a good signal, stream away! I also use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've been getting a new Iphone every other year and I end up breaking almost even once I resell the old one.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Hello, sprinters. I'm overdue for an upgrade via 2-year contract renewal (SERO Premium), but I don't have a clue what to get.

I signed up for SERO in 2004. LG Fusic --> LG Lotus --> LG Optimus S (CM 7) --> HTC EVO 4g (CM 7) --> ???

4g doesn't benefit me much / if at all where I live (3rd largest city in NY). It's spotty and not noticeably fast. But 3g is fine. I either airplane-mode or CDMA-only while at work to conserve the battery. However, I'd really like to stream di.fm / pandora / spotify / youtube without worrying about battery, and I want a very, very, very good camera.

Phone suggestions?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I think iPhones and Samsungs typically have the best cameras. The S6 just came out, or maybe was just announced, according to the general android thread. And people seem to like it a lot more than the previous iterations. And of course the iPhone 6/6+ are just fine.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I've used over 60G this month. I also have been able to 95% stream the entire trip between my place East of Sacramento off I80, all the way down 99 to Fresno. Spotify only stops for some reason I think when the phone aggressively jumps between 3G/LTE somewhere along the line. For the most part it only breaks the next song in the queue but is never buffering.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

hrolfr posted:

Hello, sprinters. I'm overdue for an upgrade via 2-year contract renewal (SERO Premium), but I don't have a clue what to get.

I signed up for SERO in 2004. LG Fusic --> LG Lotus --> LG Optimus S (CM 7) --> HTC EVO 4g (CM 7) --> ???

4g doesn't benefit me much / if at all where I live (3rd largest city in NY). It's spotty and not noticeably fast. But 3g is fine. I either airplane-mode or CDMA-only while at work to conserve the battery. However, I'd really like to stream di.fm / pandora / spotify / youtube without worrying about battery, and I want a very, very, very good camera.

Phone suggestions?

So, you might know this, but since your current phone is a WiMax device, I'm going to explain anyway. Any 4g phone you get now is going to be a LTE phone. That is a completely different (and incompatible) 4g technology from the 4g that was in the 1st gen EVO that you have. Sprint did a very bad job deploying WiMax, and a pretty good job deploying LTE. Even if your area had good WiMax, Sprint's LTE deployment used "better" spectrum, so it is faster (10-15 mbps vs 3-5 for WiMax in my experience), penetrates buildings better (especially if you have band 26), and propagates farther from the tower.

So, it's likely that your new device will not only be a lot faster from the processor and such, but your connectivity will be a lot better and faster as well. It is possible you will have better call coverage as well, since they've refarmed Nextel's 800 MHz spectrum in many areas. At least in my area LTE 4g and 800 MHz are very very prevalent.

As for devices, the littlest prince's suggestions are good (for Samsung, don't get anything but their newest devices, the S6 or Note 4). I'd also suggest looking at the LG G3 if you can deal with the larger size. My Dad just made the EVO 4g->G3 upgrade and is very happy with it. It's battery is very good (the G2's was better, but I can get 2 days easily on my G2, and any modern device's battery will be orders of magnitude better than the EVO 4g's was at launch, much less with a 4 year old battery). The camera is also excellent. You can usually get it cheaper than the newer iphones/samsung stuff too. The software is not stock, so if that's the reason you were running CM, maybe look elsewhere, but if you were just running CM because the EVO was an old phone, it's worth a look.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 6, 2015

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Is there a particular Sprint phone that is known for having fantastic audio quality? I qualify for an upgrade and I'm beyond done with the Note 3, it's a great phone other than garbling every other word during a phone call. Since I use it for business, I'd even go back to a flip phone at this point if it meant I could actually understand what people are saying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nikosoft posted:

Is there a particular Sprint phone that is known for having fantastic audio quality? I qualify for an upgrade and I'm beyond done with the Note 3, it's a great phone other than garbling every other word during a phone call. Since I use it for business, I'd even go back to a flip phone at this point if it meant I could actually understand what people are saying.

That's really not the phones fault so much as it is Sprints awful network. I've used three different phones on Sprint, they are all the same quality when making phone calls. I guarantee that if you were to make a call on Verizon, using the same phone, the quality would be way better.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I said come in! posted:

That's really not the phones fault so much as it is Sprints awful network. I've used three different phones on Sprint, they are all the same quality when making phone calls. I guarantee that if you were to make a call on Verizon, using the same phone, the quality would be way better.

Not always. My wife and I both had iPhone 5s on Verizon and the quality was average / normal.
Switched to Sprint and she has an iPhone 6, I have a 6 Plus, and we get HD Voice by default when we get connected. Even when the person I am talking to does not have HD Voice, their call sounds just as clear as when I was on Verizon. (Excepting that the service actually works at my house, and Verizon did not.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My parents' Galaxy S4s seem to always be on HD Voice when I talk to them.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The call quality I receive on my iPhone 6 is markedly more clear than the quality on my 5.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I took my S3 in to a Sprint store today because it wasn't charging or turning on, and they told me it was water damaged so I need a new phone. What I would like to do is get another S3 because I really like it and I don't care about any of the new features on the newer phones, and just drop my card into a new Sprint-compatible S3. Is this even possible without buying a new S3 from sprint for $400? I'm on a SERO plan if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help, I've been googling for 2 hours trying to find a good deal on a new S3 and it's just not happening.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

I took my S3 in to a Sprint store today because it wasn't charging or turning on, and they told me it was water damaged so I need a new phone. What I would like to do is get another S3 because I really like it and I don't care about any of the new features on the newer phones, and just drop my card into a new Sprint-compatible S3. Is this even possible without buying a new S3 from sprint for $400? I'm on a SERO plan if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help, I've been googling for 2 hours trying to find a good deal on a new S3 and it's just not happening.

Have you tried something like swappa.com?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

It's $49.99 with a 2yr agreement on Sprint.com. Which is where you should be buying your phones.
Or $240 if you go the easy pay route (don't pay this much for an S3, lol).

And the newest S3s are tri-band LTE, which is pretty rad. Swappa doesn't even have any SPH-L710T phones listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

td4guy posted:

It's $49.99 with a 2yr agreement on Sprint.com. Which is where you should be buying your phones.
Or $240 if you go the easy pay route (don't pay this much for an S3, lol).

And the newest S3s are tri-band LTE, which is pretty rad. Swappa doesn't even have any SPH-L710T phones listed.

Doesn't the 2 year agreement thing only work if it's a new contract?

The thing that I find interesting is that smartphones that are 3+ years old are still pretty expensive. I would have assumed that demand for old phones was pretty low, and they'd be selling them cheap but apparently not