Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

in this case you have a choice between comcast and att

or satellite in some areas

also you never had competition between twc and comcast and the two combined doesn't even exceed 40% of the cable market let alone a majority.

so change in monopoly status happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, child. but post-breakup att was still 7 monopolies

comcast and twc are already monopolies

--fishmech

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

comcast and twc are already monopolies

--fishmech

yes they already hold cable monopolies in nearly all markets they're in. that's how cable works in america.

are you so dumb you didn't know this?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, child. but post-breakup att was still 7 monopolies

the att breakup had a lot to do with the long distance market. the competing baby bells made long distance much, much more competitive.

Citizen Tayne posted:

the TWC-Comcast merger is absolutely creating a monopoly and I have no idea why it was permitted.

anti-trust concerns about twc/comcast have to do with content production and control over the last mile. as a combined entity, they would have monopoly control over <10% of the last mile, and they would be <10% of content production.

sure, the merger won't help consumers, but it probably won't hurt anyone. twc and comcast are both individually horrible already, how could it get any worse?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes they already hold cable monopolies in nearly all markets they're in. that's how cable works in america.

cable monopolies are not a monopoly over internet or tv service in many, many areas

there are certainly patches of the country where cable is the only high speed internet, but that's not the default. and there is pretty much nowhere that has cable but not satellite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the att breakup had a lot to do with the long distance market. the competing baby bells made long distance much, much more competitive.

anti-trust concerns about twc/comcast have to do with content production and control over the last mile. as a combined entity, they would have monopoly control over <10% of the last mile, and they would be <10% of content production.

sure, the merger won't help consumers, but it probably won't hurt anyone. twc and comcast are both individually horrible already, how could it get any worse?

it didn't really change that much though, having it be legal for sprint etc to serve anyone with a regular phone line already did.

time warner cable has already had almost all of its content production stuff transferred to main time warner, which would not be part of any merger with comcast btw

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cable monopolies are not a monopoly over internet or tv service in many, many areas

when idiots whine about the "monopoly" time warner-comcast merger creates, they mean over cable access. (ignoring they both already hold that int heir terrirtories with a few exceptions that rcn also serves)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

monopoly franchises in local/regional markets are the same thing as a monopoly cable operator

--fishmech

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

monopoly franchises in local/regional markets are the same thing as a monopoly cable operator

--fishmech

i really don't understand what you're trying to make fun of here

holding lots of cable franchises will not make you a regional monopoly unless there are no competitive non-cable franchises. i don't know of many areas of the united states where this is the case.

fiber-to-the-home, fiber-to-the-node DSL, rural wireless all offer pretty drat good alternatives to your local cable franchise

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ironically i live in one of the few places where the cable franchise is the only high speed option

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

--fishmech

so you're just stupid and understand nothing, got it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

so you're just stupid and understand nothing, got it.

;)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Waroduce posted:

HP makes all their money on toner. I sell enterprise software and managed print systems and lol that poo poo is so expensive theres like 250 points on it, its p sweet. Massive margins on oem toner

Ask me about copiers printers n toner if u care

And laserficheee

I saw a patent once for a toner cartridge that would rip itself apart internally when the remaining toner was no longer heavy enough to hold down a spring loaded catch. all to prevent refilling.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
seattle city council disbanded its cable franchise districts this week so maybe we'll see some competition for gigabit internet or smth soon. more likely everyone will just stop rolling out upgrades to poor neighbourhoods instead though lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

seattle city council disbanded its cable franchise districts this week so maybe we'll see some competition for gigabit internet or smth soon. more likely everyone will just stop rolling out upgrades to poor neighbourhoods instead though lol

i get 110mbit in beacon hill

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100 down in downtown

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

, how could it get any worse?

America always finds a way

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

love me some fishmech telecom chat :getin:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what about rcn and municipal fiber operators that provide tv service?

*throws grenade and runs away*

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

mishaq posted:

i had rcn for two years and thought it was ok

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mishaq posted:

present in less than about 5% of the country.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw a patent once for a toner cartridge that would rip itself apart internally when the remaining toner was no longer heavy enough to hold down a spring loaded catch. all to prevent refilling.

If ur company isnt a fuckin joke u should use oem

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Also if u have service agreements its industry practice that using reman voids warrently and cancels the contract

Or using not service providers reman

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

working 80hr/w at sub-minimum wage is the path to wealth

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NZAmoeba posted:

Jesus that makes me so loving angry. Killing yourself working to break even while making techbros rich. "reducing income inequality"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
also renting a single room out or driving a taxi are exactly the same paths to wealth as owning a hotel with hundreds of rooms or a fleet of taxis

because its the hotel staff that are leaving behind the 99%

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
"anyone with a car"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Of everyone on twitter, no one makes me as angry as that jackass.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

NZAmoeba posted:

welp we've had a nice run but i think it's time to turn the lights off on the human experiment

let the bombs fall

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

NZAmoeba posted:

no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONONOimtriggering

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
for a forum full of rule 36 following tech workers, you all seem to care a whole lot about poors

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Flaming June posted:

i had rcn for two years and thought it was ok

I worked on a project for RCN at my last job

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

JewKiller 3000 posted:

for a forum full of rule 36 following tech workers, you all seem to care a whole lot about poors

we prefer our economy fueled by the sufering of non-american poors, tyvm

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

JewKiller 3000 posted:

poors are what do the things that make life tolerable, like serving my mcdonalds and cleaning my toilet.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Elder Postsman posted:

poors are what do the things that make life tolerable, like serving my mcdonalds and cleaning my toilet.

so how come it's ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor but not uber? getting a ride home when you're drunk makes life tolerable too

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the gently caress is oppy?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
a nickname for robert oppenheimer

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

JewKiller 3000 posted:

eh i think it's more so that the average yosposter could probably set something like uber pretty easily but it's just this thinly veiled lust for greed wrapped up in the whole "you can make money by being so smart!!!" thing that gets people riled up about uber. the people behind the company aren't really any smarter than any exploitative employer has been for like hundreds of years so far but a lot of places online cant stop talking about how uber is some amazing innovation of the new economy when it's really just vector marketing with an app and backend

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
i think it's acceptable to be part of the system, try to do the best you can within it, and still repulsed by the poo poo that startups are peddling.

i mean, the reason uber makes their drivers lease high-end cars they can't afford is because they want riders to feel like they are living in a commercial for an expensive watch. it feeds on the worst instincts in people. poor people are getting poorer, not because taxis themselves are an unprofitable industry, but because we would rather ride in a non-taxi taxi that makes us feel good about ourselves and distracts us from the discomfort of living in an imperfect world full of problems.

if i lived in SF i would buy a bunch of dirty homeless folk tickets on the bourgeoise bus and film it. probably not quite milliondollarextreme material but it would be funny

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

JewKiller 3000 posted:

a lot of us like to pretend that our cush livelihood isn't derived from savagely grinding other's to dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so how come it's ok for mcdonalds to exploit the poor but not uber? getting a ride home when you're drunk makes life tolerable too

it's sad when mcdonalds exploits their workers. that's a bad thing. but airbnb and uber come with so many more bad things than just an old fashioned mcJob

• their business models are illegal. just working for airbnb or uber can make you legally liable for fines, or even arrest. mcD's employees don't get arrested for flipping burgers.

• uber and airbnb totally-not-employees often make no money, or actually lose money when costs are taken into account. mcD's gives you a W2, and pays most of your business expenses.

• mcdonalds doesn't induce its employees to defraud their insurers, lessors, and landlords

• when mcdonalds opens a new location, it obeys zoning laws and there are opportunities for public comment. airbnb scammers fraudulently rent apartments in secret. good luck if you happen to live next to one.

• Locked thread