Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

SynthOrange posted:

Office is essentially high density industry, but non polluting, non noisy.

Had my first major boo-boo with workshop today. While trying to update a map, it hosed up and for awhile it was just throwing out flat maps to everyone. I cant remember the exact sequence but it was a lot of deleting, renaming, saving over and reuploading to fix it.

Yes I had this as well, what happens is that if you have a local file, and subscribe to your own map it will cause an asset duplication error (that it wont mention) and kind of merge the two together when you try to update it. You need to basically delete the local version (or do a rename/delete) and you can update without causing flat maps.

It was weird, but that's what i found broke it.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So a friend of mine says that he used to be able to build a bunch of "Japanese Garden" parks, but then they suddenly disappeared. I replied saying I had no idea what the hell that was about, since I sure have never seen any Japanese Gardens in the park list. They are listed on a wiki page I saw though, along with the preorder items... he confirmed he had seen none of the other preorder stuff. Just that Japanese Garden, which is now gone. Does this sound familiar to any of you? His game is unmodded.

I also had a Japanese Garden park. I even used it in my cities. I just checked and it is no longer in the menu and the ones I placed in the city are gone.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
The random business name generator mod is working flawlessly:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ZombieLenin posted:

What I would like: be able to set the architectural style. There are more that add buildings to the default, but I want to create a Soviet paradise.

The first SimCity had five or six different themes you could switch to, released as add-ons. I mostly remember the space and medieval versions, but there were a couple of near-future themes, too. Though now that I think about it, they were whole sprite swaps and not piecemeal.

I assume that as the thousands(!!) of buildings accumulate, it will be easier to assemble architecture kits. Brutalist, Craftsman, split-level ranch... (Tell me there's a Brady house in the works.)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jet Jaguar posted:

The first SimCity had five or six different themes you could switch to, released as add-ons. I mostly remember the space and medieval versions, but there were a couple of near-future themes, too. Though now that I think about it, they were whole sprite swaps and not piecemeal.

I assume that as the thousands(!!) of buildings accumulate, it will be easier to assemble architecture kits. Brutalist, Craftsman, split-level ranch... (Tell me there's a Brady house in the works.)

Sim City 2k's special edition with the building editor also shipped with an alternate sci-fi tile set. Sim City 3k had the option to set different styles as well. I really miss those features.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have downloaded probably two dozen :krad: interchanges and then can never figure out how to actually connect my neighborhoods to the highways without turning the area into a horrible mess.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So a friend of mine says that he used to be able to build a bunch of "Japanese Garden" parks, but then they suddenly disappeared. I replied saying I had no idea what the hell that was about, since I sure have never seen any Japanese Gardens in the park list. They are listed on a wiki page I saw though, along with the preorder items... he confirmed he had seen none of the other preorder stuff. Just that Japanese Garden, which is now gone. Does this sound familiar to any of you? His game is unmodded.

the devs made a mistake. the japanese garden was supposed to be a preorder-only bonus, but it wasn't actually given out. to fix this, they went ahead and gave it to everyone. sounds like they may have changed it back

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

wesley snypes posted:

the devs made a mistake. the japanese garden was supposed to be a preorder-only bonus, but it wasn't actually given out. to fix this, they went ahead and gave it to everyone. sounds like they may have changed it back

Sweet mother... they committed takesies-backsies?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
My first try at the most boring town ever:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Whoever made that Canals map, i've been enjoying it!

My only real beef is that in order to get an outside rail connection you need to expand in certain directions, or have the 25 Tile mod just to get tourist rail. If youre doing a revision, just connect those highways and rail.
Other than that, it's a really fun map.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wesley snypes posted:

But I preordered, and it's still just as suddenly gone. :(

binhex
Aug 17, 2008

Bel Monte posted:

I love Zion, but yeah, it sucks with water. You'll have to just resort to water towers, because the pumps will drain the river dry.
Would be cool if there was a way to somehow make more water. I want a bigger river so my cims can view it from their houses... Is there a way for the mayor to create water from nothing?

From a page or two back, but whatever.

I'm going to update it with a larger main river, and possibly a few more tributaries along the canyon. I'm also thinking of redoing the highway layout to be a little nicer. Maybe a few more leveled out spots in the smaller side canyons.

Any other feedback for this map?

The map in question: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!

Poil posted:

in that case, Something's Fucky

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think they pulled the code version of the zen garden because they're about to just patch it in for everyone, and screwed something up.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So I made a modular road design for perfect circular grid things.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413993576

Just rotate it round to make a circle and then add whatever other roads you need. Left enough space between the roads so that when you upgrade it wont sacrifice zoning squares.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I have subscribed to 343 items.

send help

even skyrim wasn't this bad awesome

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

also I just spend half the day figuring out 3ds max UV maps, but now when I try to test it out ingame the game won't load

can't be the mods

mustn't be mods

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I keep making cities and expanding when demand for certain sectors is highest and I just end up with stuff everywhere and halp how do I civil engineering

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I keep making cities and expanding when demand for certain sectors is highest and I just end up with stuff everywhere and halp how do I civil engineering
That's the classic approach, yes...

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's the classic approach, yes...

But I want everything neat and tidy and roads that make sense and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Everyone seems very focused on making perfectly planned cities, despite the fact that there are perhaps two or three examples of those anywhere on earth, and none of them are particularly great places where you actually want to live. Cities in real life tend to be hosed up, idiosyncratic things that are just kept hobbling along with a hope and a prayer. Although it may be fun to have the perfect, most efficient city, it can also be rewarding to paint yourself into specific corners and then try to find your way back out (more like managing a real city).

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

But I want everything neat and tidy and roads that make sense and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I suppose now we know why most real world cities are a clusterfuck. If you have infinite funds from the start and lay everything out before zoning it's pretty easy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PT6A posted:

it can also be rewarding to paint yourself into specific corners and then try to find your way back out (more like managing a real city).

:killdozer:

The only tool you need.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

:killdozer:

The only tool you need.

Say I bulldoze the starting industrial zone to make it residential after expansion. Does that affect happiness, business, etc?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PT6A posted:

Everyone seems very focused on making perfectly planned cities, despite the fact that there are perhaps two or three examples of those anywhere on earth, and none of them are particularly great places where you actually want to live. Cities in real life tend to be hosed up, idiosyncratic things that are just kept hobbling along with a hope and a prayer. Although it may be fun to have the perfect, most efficient city, it can also be rewarding to paint yourself into specific corners and then try to find your way back out (more like managing a real city).

I dont really think anyone is, to be honest.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Say I bulldoze the starting industrial zone to make it residential after expansion. Does that affect happiness, business, etc?

Less than you might think. I mean you might have to compensate by building some more industry elsewhere or some offices to keep employment and goods production up, but the bulldozing itself they don't seem to care about. Oh, and building residential on top of an old industrial neighborhood means you'll have unhappiness problems because of the pollution, but it'll go away eventually.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

PT6A posted:

Someone build this:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Welp, mods hosed up something in my game because now all my icons that hover over buildings/roads disappeared. No "no water/electricity", "on fire", "abandoned" etc. icons are showing up at all.

Anyone else have this issue?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

simosimo posted:

:siren:Getting an error now in my new games and current games. :siren:

I did sub to a few new mods (traffic light, traffic reporp stuff, unlock all zones) and a few new assets but nothing major.

I have unticked all of these mods and the new assets but i'm still getting the error. It REALLY doesn't help that 'Quit to main menu' crashes the game. So each test takes about 5 minutes each time ARGH!

When you untick the custom content in game, do you actually need to press the X to get rid of it? Sucks the error is so generic. Just wasted 45 minutes testing, good thing I finished early to waste this time :unsmith:

I got this when one of my mods updated, pretty sure it was Traffic ++, and began conflicting with the New Game Plus mod I was running, so I disabled NG+ and everything's been peachy since. Don't know why quit to main menu crashes your game, and you shouldn't have to press X next to a mod, simply disabling it should be enough I think.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Seeing as we apparently have traffic savants on here, anyone take a guess what's up with this? The cars at the front stop for about 3 seconds and then traffic starts up before stopping again soon after.

E: Fixed itself after a reload... v:v:v

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 26, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zero One posted:

Someone build this:

I might attempt that using dirt roads for maximum self loathing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PT6A posted:

The only thing I'm trying to perfectly plan is my central park. Using the asset editor to create custom park plots to put into, but drat, such a limited selection of bits and bobs to include, even after grabbing what I could find from the workshop. I'd love for there to be some kind of water feature. But the only ponds I saw had grass clipping through them because it was flush with the ground (I suppose a way around that would be to elevate the water a bit and put some kind of rim, I dunno).

This is two 9x14 parks with a small ped path linking them in the middle.

I should probably check out aerial views of Central Park for inspiration.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asciana posted:

So I made a modular road design for perfect circular grid things.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413993576

Just rotate it round to make a circle and then add whatever other roads you need. Left enough space between the roads so that when you upgrade it wont sacrifice zoning squares.

drat, this would hav saved me some fidgety stuff:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well my second city is doing a lot better than my first, mostly thanks to me figuring out how to jigger around with traffic with a ton of help from mods. The City of Hammerfest's finances are a bit tight at the moment thanks to recent major infrastructure improvements and building a bunch of crematoriums to handle a mass-die off.

A few shots:

After I relocated my sewage pipes.

The traffic trident in my original city core turned into this.

The backwards treble clef interchange.

The new district, with a freight rail terminal and freight seaport right next to each other. The roads are arranged to bounce traffic directly back and fourth between the two, or just out and away from the other main interchange (south and out of view).

This is gonna cause some problems when I try to develop the other side. Any ideas?

Traffic on the main trunks is very heavy, but it flows. Avoid/remove intersections in heavy areas, or convert them to one-way streets. Use highways, six-lane, and dual-lane streets to spread out the flow of traffic across as many lanes as possible. I have a good bus system, but haven't even built a metro yet.

Dickbutt Plaza.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 26, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Poil posted:

One of the paradox guys confirmed on their forums that something messed up and took the park away from a lot of people who had it, so apparently they're working on it. I just grabbed this one off the workshop and slapped it down in all my zen garden shaped holes. It's not quite as pretty, since for some reason the trees don't show up. But in this version at least visitors don't just walk into the pond and vanish like they do with the official one.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

binhex posted:

From a page or two back, but whatever.

I'm going to update it with a larger main river, and possibly a few more tributaries along the canyon. I'm also thinking of redoing the highway layout to be a little nicer. Maybe a few more leveled out spots in the smaller side canyons.

Any other feedback for this map?

The map in question: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

I don't have the game yet, but seeing this map might push me over the edge to buying it. Zion's one of the most incredible places I've ever been and it would be a hoot to try and build a town in it. Bonus points for getting anything to grow on Angel's Landing, which I was pleased to see included.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
That's not a a legal u turn :stonk:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Babby's first roundabout :

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Making a pretty park is hard, even with custom asset maker parks. drat 64 item limit.

It looks ok so far, I guess. just feels like twisty paths and trees though. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

The only thing remotely "planned" looking in my city is the farming areas because farms in the US typically are in grid patterns. I think most people are growing organically, or at least I have been.

Also obviously this game can't run 'actual' city populations and the amount of land it'd take to make one is insane, but for the scale what do you guys use to make your population numbers seem more realistic? I typically multiply by 20 but even then it sometimes makes towns way too big for what they are. I do like how the population is meaningful, though. District painting is an obsession.