Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol if you have a family or a significant other instead of just playing video games all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally unlocked all of the characters in Smash Brothers. I wish I had more time to play this game, it's really good and my first Smash title.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I have time to play video games in the winter when it's cold as poo poo outside and nothing is happening in my frozen ice palace province

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

The IT part is probably being awkward and not having girlfriends or families taking up their time. I really only know one guy in my IT job who this stereotype applies to though, and he mainly has trouble getting dates because he only dates Asian women. (He himself is Asian, I think that means it's ok and not a fetish?)

I was mostly making a flippant response but when I was doing technical support (in sales now), there were plenty of people that would take numerous days off for when an MMO came out, or a big RPG, big games, things like that. One guy took a whole week off for an MMO called Rift. It seems fairly common.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

I was mostly making a flippant response but when I was doing technical support (in sales now), there were plenty of people that would take numerous days off for when an MMO came out, or a big RPG, big games, things like that. One guy took a whole week off for an MMO called Rift. It seems fairly common.

That's more to do with being single and living near family with no need to travel, because you need to use your days off or you lose them.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I have time to play because I'm between full time jobs. So I got most of the way through Chrono Trigger (never played it as a kid) and while the game hasn't been difficult or grindy, I peeked at a map of the Black Omen and got burned out just at the sight. Good thing it's optional.

On topic, hella looking forward to plunking down hours and hours into Xenoblade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mamelon posted:

On topic, hella looking forward to plunking down hours and hours into Xenoblade.

This is the game I want the most out of all of the Wii U titles coming out. Xenoblade comes out in Japan near the end of April, I really hope it's not a long wait for the english release.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i might actually preorder xenoblade

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I don't understand the thread title. Can someone explain it to me?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
What the hell when did the thread title change. What could possibly have been funny enough to supplant the previous one.

on topic: I got wind waker HD yesterday and it Ownz. This game was really pretty even on the gamecube but it is loving gorgeous in HD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Slur posted:

It has to do with goon Taint Reaper.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

note: the new title is an ideal that is impossible to realize. please just try your best

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Slur posted:

Well, you see there is this part of the body and it's the taint.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

e: I'm no fun

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Sade posted:

What the hell when did the thread title change. What could possibly have been funny enough to supplant the previous one.

I never got the previous one.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Apparently the WiiU does not consider an 8-player amiibo smash for item farming actual activity and it shuts off after an hour. That's too bad.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slur posted:

Do not let the taint reaper near your taint

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pomp posted:

Do not let the taint reaper near your taint

Too late.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

Apparently the WiiU does not consider an 8-player amiibo smash for item farming actual activity and it shuts off after an hour. That's too bad.

You can change this in power settings.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I don't have the patience for games longer than ~30 hours, even when I was in high school and played RPGs like I was getting paid. Like, poo poo, I might also want to read the Internet and cook a meal, or even (GASP) play a different game!

I really wanted to play Xenoblade, y'all are about to scare me off of it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bean posted:

I don't have the patience for games longer than ~30 hours, even when I was in high school and played RPGs like I was getting paid. Like, poo poo, I might also want to read the Internet and cook a meal, or even (GASP) play a different game!

You sound weak.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cake Attack posted:

lol if you have a family or a significant other instead of just playing video games all day

Having a family / SO means having co-op partners / people you can easily win against on hand all the time!

It's annoying when they cry over losing though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bean posted:

...Do you play all your games in one sitting or something?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Metroid Prime progress report! I just picked up the titular powerup. It's pretty trippy!

I also feel I should point out that the Power Bomb Guardian was a bitch and a half, but he didn't kill me like that rear end in a top hat Alpha Blogg did, so AB is still the worst boss!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SRM posted:

A good game is only as long as it needs to be, and nothing needs to be 200 hours.

I agree.

What I was saying was that if the game is really good and 20 hours long, I'll be sad when it ends and wish it had been longer.

It's not that a game must be long to be good, rather that many good games would be even better if they were longer.

I really don't understand the complaint that it would take months to finish. Months of content in a great game for [price of one game]? How simply awful.
Is it just a race to the finish mentality that I don't get? Isn't the ride rather the point?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Renting games from gamefly has totally changed the way I play video games. I generally burn through the main game as fast as I can, and only dig into sidequests if they're substantial and/or interesting enough to keep me hooked. Its a bad way to experience stuff, because I'm constantly on a weird clock of my own design. Its a great way to experience stuff because I'm not trying to artificially inflate a game's runtime by engaging in bullshit "thrown together by an intern" sidequests only designed to pump up the "value" of a title.

Oddly enough, every game I've bought this year has been on the Wii U, because I can justify a purchase if I know i'm going to be pulling it out when friends come over (phrasing!)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we're not doing that anymore

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Trent posted:

I really don't understand the complaint that it would take months to finish. Months of content in a great game for [price of one game]?

At a certain point in life, time becomes more valuable than money

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

less laughter posted:

but you're still playing a game you enjoy. at that point you're saying finishing the game is more important than having fun

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I can't speak for anyone else but if a game takes me that long there's a pretty good chance something else I wanted to give time has come out since. And while it's not necessary to always stay current it is nice to play games somewhat around the time the rest of the world is playing them. If a game takes me that long I probably just won't finish.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://vine.co/v/O5UDpvhWb55 Kirby gets hot and wild.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

less laughter posted:

I did not know that because I am only twelve years old.

I would rather spend my valuable time really enjoying a great, long game, than reading the walkthrough on GameFAQs so I can blow through another title [that you can no doubt totally afford because you are an important adult with a good job and many responsibilities] in the minimum time possible.

If it's the best game I've ever played, I'd rather it be twice as long than have it be over quickly so I can move on to a worse game. Your opinion and preferences may differ.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Trent posted:

I did not know that because I am only twelve years old.

I would rather spend my valuable time really enjoying a great, long game, than reading the walkthrough on GameFAQs so I can blow through another title [that you can no doubt totally afford because you are an important adult with a good job and many responsibilities] in the minimum time possible.

If it's the best game I've ever played, I'd rather it be twice as long than have it be over quickly so I can move on to a worse game. Your opinion and preferences may differ.

Yes, and this all boils down to a complicated personal formula where as length gets bigger, gameplay concepts overstay their welcome and feel more like padding than more content. Except Other M and twilight princess, this seems to be a balance Nintendo is great at hitting. Games have lots of content but don't get repetitive.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you should play a game if you want to play it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

noirstronaut posted:

you should play a game if you want to play it

What a dumb philosophy. First you have to validate your opinions of buying the game on internet forums.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Trent posted:

I really don't understand the complaint that it would take months to finish. Months of content in a great game for [price of one game]? How simply awful.
Is it just a race to the finish mentality that I don't get? Isn't the ride rather the point?

I think, for me at least, it's because there are two sometimes conflicting desires while playing a game: to experience new/interesting gameplay, and to see all the content a particular game provides. The problem comes when a game has so much content that it takes away from being able to experience other games.

Since this is the Wii U thread, I'll use Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World as examples. I want to play both of them, but physically I can only play one game at a time. So I pick one, in this case Hyrule Warriors. I get to experience the new or interesting gameplay the game provides, and play through the content in the game, and this is a net positive. However, there is still the opportunity cost that I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World, which is another game I want to experience. So if I want to see all of the content in Hyrule Warriors I need to keep playing it, which means I don't get to play Super Mario 3D World that much longer. I'll be having just as much fun playing either game, but the time I spend playing one game is the time I don't spend playing the other game. If it takes me months to complete Hyrule Warriors, then I still haven't even played Super Mario 3D World by the time Zelda/Animal Crossing/whatever comes out, and now I'm even further behind.

If I game needs 30+ hours to provide the gameplay/content then that's fine, but if it can be done in half that and they're just padding it with pointless garbage then it's wasting everyones time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can't just alternate between games? Iwata isn't going to beat you up if you try to put 3D World in your Wii U before completing Hyrule Warriors 100%

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Resident Evil 4's island act needed to be half as long.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pomp posted:

Resident Evil 4's island act needed to be half as long.

With fewer Regenerators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Help Im Alive posted:

You can't just alternate between games? Iwata isn't going to beat you up if you try to put 3D World in your Wii U before completing Hyrule Warriors 100%

It probably makes more sense if you use Shin Megami Tensei IV and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D as the examples instead, but I couldn't think of any Wii U RPGs with a heavy emphasis on storyline. If I switch from one to the other then try to go back then there's no way in heck I'm going to remember anything that happened already, and I have to completely start over.

That's actually my problem right now, currently playing through A Link Between Worlds (New 3DS was my first 3DS), and I really want to start playing Monster Hunter 4U but I know if I start playing that I won't get back to ALBW for probably at least a month and then I'll lose track of what I've already done. :(

• Locked thread