Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fremry posted:

SanDisk has always been the biggest manufacturer in SD cards. It's like saying "Every time I see someone get sick from eating a burger, it's a beef burger." That's because, while there are other types of burgers, beef is the most common.

Correlation != causation, especially when that correlation is anecdotal.

i dont eat burgers from places i know have made people sick either :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cp91886 posted:

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time. If I beat the four dungeons first will I be locked out of any of the sidequests?

It is a game about time travel

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
drat, STEAM gets weirder all the time. As unspoilery as possible: I just had the final team mate revealed and while I guessed they might show up they still managed to surprise me. I haven't tried the next mission yet though so maybe it's not as crazy as it seems.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

drat, STEAM gets weirder all the time. As unspoilery as possible: I just had the final team mate revealed and while I guessed they might show up they still managed to surprise me. I haven't tried the next mission yet though so maybe it's not as crazy as it seems.

How is this game, by the way? Love me some Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM. Thinking of picking this one up.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

along the way posted:

How is this game, by the way? Love me some Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM. Thinking of picking this one up.

I like it quite a bit. I enjoy the 3rd person shooter take on turn based strategy and I feel like there is a pretty decent selection of kit to choose from for you team. Not as deep as XCOM though and I didn't play VC so I can't make a comparison there. I think the music and style of the game are great but I could see the art style not working for some people.

I think the enemy wait time complaints are overblown but they're definitely a bit longer than similar games. The enemy does feel like it cheats as you get taught overwatch mechanics and then it appears that some enemies can have unlimited (or very high amounts) of overwatch to work with. But it's always the same enemies doing that and it's possible to work around with some strategy and the right tools.

I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy this style of game.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
After calling Gamestop, having them tell they had the Majora's Mask 3DS in stock, then showing up and they said they were sold out since this morning; I felt pretty disappointed. I decided to swing by Fry's on my way back to work, lo and behold, they have 6 of the things in their case. Ended up getting one (tried to get a second for my brother, but they were limiting purchases to one per person); it seemed like most of the employees weren't even aware that they had them in stock. So if you are looking for them, try a Fry's if you have one in your area. They definitely had more then 4 in stock and no one seemed to know about them. As a bonus, I found a ten dollar bill on the ground as I left with my new system!

Real excited to try the new 3D tracking with this thing!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kithkar posted:

This is now my favorite post.
I like to save my worst posting for this thread. And I read the bad webcomics thread, so what does that tell you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

DaveKap posted:

And I read the bad webcomics thread
i thought we destroyed that thread....

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Awesome! posted:

Oh, it's very much alive. In the CCCC, in BYOB.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Havoc904 posted:

After calling Gamestop, having them tell they had the Majora's Mask 3DS in stock, then showing up and they said they were sold out since this morning; I felt pretty disappointed. I decided to swing by Fry's on my way back to work, lo and behold, they have 6 of the things in their case. Ended up getting one (tried to get a second for my brother, but they were limiting purchases to one per person); it seemed like most of the employees weren't even aware that they had them in stock. So if you are looking for them, try a Fry's if you have one in your area. They definitely had more then 4 in stock and no one seemed to know about them. As a bonus, I found a ten dollar bill on the ground as I left with my new system!

Real excited to try the new 3D tracking with this thing!

If you manage to go back to that Fry's again and get your brother one, and are willing to grab a third, I have a friend that would love you forever for one. He has a HUGE collection of Zelda edition everything... it's actually really goddamn impressive, and he didn't get the MM one because his fiance broke her knee a few months back and needed surgery, so money was too tight to preorder.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

jesus

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Awesome! posted:

Not only is it back but it won't give you forums cancer anymore. It's a holiday miracle.

Turns out more than one of my friends managed to snag the MM 3DS but I have yet to read of anyone seeing it go up on the site. Not only that but not even nowinstock.net ever saw it go online. For anyone who hasn't gotten theirs yet, there may still be hope (in a 30 second window when you aren't at your computer.)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

DaveKap posted:

Not only is it back but it won't give you forums cancer anymore. It's a holiday miracle.

Turns out more than one of my friends managed to snag the MM 3DS but I have yet to read of anyone seeing it go up on the site. Not only that but not even nowinstock.net ever saw it go online. For anyone who hasn't gotten theirs yet, there may still be hope (in a 30 second window when you aren't at your computer.)

It was up for ~3 minutes and is now gone.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

If you manage to go back to that Fry's again and get your brother one, and are willing to grab a third, I have a friend that would love you forever for one. He has a HUGE collection of Zelda edition everything... it's actually really goddamn impressive, and he didn't get the MM one because his fiance broke her knee a few months back and needed surgery, so money was too tight to preorder.

He better offer $5 for that kind of service

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

flyboi posted:

Would jerky suffice?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

Would jerky suffice?

flyboi posted:

Most goons require $5 and a slim jim :shrug:

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Fuzz posted:

Sounds like the employees all bought the systems themselves after I left. My brother called right after he left work and they said their system was showing 6 in stock. He got there about 10 minutes later and the guy in the videogame department said he just sold the last one.

Sorry about your friend. I could have had eternal love, that might have been my only chance.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

Go suck a dick you dumb human being.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Slim jims are pretty good to be honest.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Red Robin Hood posted:

Or just a Slim Jim...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

Or just a Slim Jim...

The bold print literally says "$5 and a slim jim" in the very first line.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm going to guess at least 50% of these MMs that got sold today were bought by scalpers.

I wonder, is ebay bad for gaming? It seems on one hand it is great when used as intended. Finding old stuff. However, now we have tons of people buying up product in order to resell it at a jacked up price. This is very bad. Is there a way to fix it?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if no one bites at the jacked up prices they will just get returned to stores. unfortunately people are idiots

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm going to buy a Gold Mario so I can sell it for 1m dollars

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

noirstronaut posted:

The bold print literally says "$5 and a slim jim" in the very first line.

Laughed in an important meeting, great, thanks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I wonder, is ebay bad for gaming? It seems on one hand it is great when used as intended. Finding old stuff. However, now we have tons of people buying up product in order to resell it at a jacked up price. This is very bad. Is there a way to fix it?

I hope ebay destroys gaming

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to guess at least 50% of these MMs that got sold today were bought by scalpers.

I considered buying one to resell it on eBay but the $40 profit isn't worth the risk.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Red Robin Hood posted:

I considered buying one to resell it on eBay but the $40 profit isn't worth the risk.

But just a week ago, it was regularly selling for $150 over retail or more. Hence, the attraction from resellers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna revise my 50% number and say 90%

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_nkw=majora%27s+mask+3ds&_sop=10

Every minute or two a new one has been going up. That's loving nuts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well, I should be getting a Majora's Mask 3DS in the next two days after going through a chunk of bullshit:

Various GameStops got their shipments at different times, some last night and some this afternoon. The GameStop that got it in the afternoon gave reservations in the morning for them but not yesterday. Fry's had been selling them all week but since no one knew they only sold the last amounts today. You can go into GameStop and get it via a $330 bundle that comes with the MM3DS, MM3D, LBTW and Codename Steam and a eGuide for one of the games (I'm guessing MM) and they didn't have low stock when I ordered an hour ago. You can only do this in-store though. The bundle was on GameStop.com for a fraction of a second before it got pulled.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm so glad I'm cool with the guys at my local gamestop. They sold out of their allotment immediately, but they had a store in the middle of nowhere send all theirs over and they put one on hold for me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I remember getting my MM XL on launch day and not having to do any of this bullshit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I remember not giving a poo poo what the outside of my video game machine looks like. Oh wait, I don't give a poo poo what my video game machine looks like.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

epitasis posted:

I hope ebay destroys gaming

Well all my Game Cube games I bought between the last two years have doubled in price so can't complain. Keep going eBay :getin:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Pretty good game! It's like a very streamlined kind of Castlevania-lite. It's pretty much perfect for a mobile game so you can pick it up and play for 10 minutes and still get somewhere. And it's just packed with personality and flare, all the animations are so smooth, and the environments are just oozing with detail. I did notice that it fell into a groove as the game went on, focusing more on the gameplay and less on the dialogue and cutscenes, so while the first couple of bosses were introduced with elaborate cutscenes that gave them all kinds of charm, the last couple of bosses were just kinda there to be beat and move on. Excepting the final boss, of course.

Also, while I thought it was cool that they reused Shantea's sprite from the DSi game, it seems like they didn't keep the reference sheet? Because she has a bunch of new animations that don't match her old ones, so details like the tuft of hair at the top of her ponytail will disappear and reappear as she goes through old and new animations. And all of her new moves give her a pirate scarf on her head, but only when she's using those moves, the easiest one to see it on is when she's using the pirate hat, but it's there when using the scimitar, boots and cannon. It makes me wonder if they were planning on giving her that scarf the whole game and made those new animations with that idea, but decided it didn't mesh with the story or something so they didn't change all her animations, or maybe decided it was too much effort? Whatever, it doesn't affect the game much, it's just a detail I noticed that bugged me after noticing it.

So, yeah, Pirate's Curse is probably the best Shantae game of the bunch. Pity Half Genie Hero looks like it's ditching sprites entirely in favour of some lame kinda flash game look. Half the reason I like these games so much is that they have such wonderfully vibrate pixel animation, while the new game looks kinda dull in comparison.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 26, 2015

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

I remember not giving a poo poo what the outside of my video game machine looks like. Oh wait, I don't give a poo poo what my video game machine looks like.

Do you even Nintendo? :shepspends:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Neither did I.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Finished Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

One thing that really impressed me about this game is that are no gimmick items. There are some gimmick areas that require certain items for sure but they are all useful in general gameplay. Granted they aren't all that unique, but it worked.

Also I'm glad they went with the guy from Inticreates for the artwork, because the previous games had art almost approaching Touhou levels of bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Loving my black nn3ds that I got on release day and didn't have to wring my hands online and make jerky offerings to the GameStop gods like some edition-wanter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Loving my red New 3DS that I stuck a Monado decal on. (Decalgirl is amazing, guys.)