Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
turn left dale noooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Changed my oil while it was nice out. I tried to time it right just so I could make it through winter and sure enough the light started blinking at me the other day. I'm starting to get a baby valve cover gasket leak, but I don't feel like taking that off and fixing it till I do a valve adjustment and make sure my lovely AP1 retainers aren't cracked

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Snapped a leaf spring on my van. Pulling onto a roundabout when.. BANG! and the driver's side drops onto the bumpstop. Stopped in a petrol station, clean shear break. It snapped the other one last year. One phone call later, and i have a new set of heavy-duty ones i need to collect tomorrow. Only problem, the car is also broken, since it lunched it gearbox mount. Cue driving it carefully to my old shop and making some less-than-ideal repair to make it useable.

Urrrghhh..

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 16, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Did a fast string alignment on my truck to get the tires close enough in line to drive safely and yay it goes in a straight line now! Now just to take it to the nearby shop to get it properly done and I'll be driving my truck again! :buddy:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Went ahead and took it for a spin and first thing I do is dent the tailgate on a tree. :xd:
Not upset by that at all since it's pretty small compared to the several dents the previous owners put in the tailgate.

The new front shocks feel nice and after getting some new vacuum port plugs to replace the ones that dry rotted over the winter it is running pretty dang well all things considered.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Drove 260-mile round trip to get new springs for the van, got them fitted.

Since it's still loaded it was sketchy jacking it up and working under it, so had to do one side at a time, which meant loving about pulling the axle into place and lots of swearing while getting everything lined up.

:argh:

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Drove 260-mile round trip to get new springs for the van, got them fitted.

Since it's still loaded it was sketchy jacking it up and working under it, so had to do one side at a time, which meant loving about pulling the axle into place and lots of swearing while getting everything lined up.

:argh:

Is your van ever not broken

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

Is your van ever not broken

No, apparently not. :(

But i bought it broken, so i guess this is just a running theme.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Front end had been clunking and since ive replaced all bushings it had to be the strut mounts. And only 55k on em too

Being able wrench on my car during work hours is the only reason i stay in this job

Im getting some rust around the sway bar link mount welds on these bilsteins anybody got an idea on how to stop this from getting really bad.

Old struts disassembled to reuse the boots and bumpstops

Old and busted vs the new hotness. After the install ride height changed noticeably also no clunk and firmed up handling.
If anybody has any lx platform car (magnum 300 charger challenger)
Buy the monroe or oem 2011+ srt challenger strut mounts they are redesigned to be beefier and last much longer too.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Took the van to a driveshaft company today to have the u-joints replaced because it's vibrating since the spring snapped. Pulled the shaft off outside their shop, they checked it, told me it's not the joints, they're fine.

It has a buckled propshaft. :(

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got the truck aligned at a shop. Now it can finally be driven regularly again. :radcat:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Big day, started out with an oil change on the International. Then I dropped the front drive shaft at the transfer case to see what shape the u-joint was in. It was in great shape, so that doesn't explain the slight vibration at speed with the hubs engaged, but it's good news overall. Considering that shaft moves less than the others, the fact that it was well lubricated and clean seems like the rear and intermediate shafts are probably good. I'm basing this on the fact that the joints in the front axle shafts were completely dry and seized.

Then the real project. I had picked up some steel to add some tie down rails to the sides of the flatbed.

So I pulled the super long hinge pins and put them on my V-8 Powered Welding Table:

Look at this rust, shameful.

And here is one completed. I didn't think I could match the gold color so I switched to black. I will probably paint the channel that runs the length of the bed eventually to give it a two-tone with the gold toolbox.

Ahh, sweet utility:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Took out the aftermarket radio and replaced it with the original radio and the best cassette deck on offer from Nissan in the 80s. Felt the old one looked so out of place for this car.

It even has a metal button for Iron Maiden tapes :black101:

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 22, 2015

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Got a new muffler installed today on my Caterham!

Forgot to take a photo after we finished so we'll have to settle for the WIP pic here. :eng99:

Still todo before the convertible season kicks in:
- a new oil sump
- adjust the ride height (it's riding kinda low with my current tires)
- inspect why the speedo isn't working

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 22, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've got a list of miscellany to deal with on my 1995 Nissan XE 6-cyl 5-speed manual (70K miles) and today I was puttering around and Uh…something's missing. Topside, I found this moment of WTF. It's been parked since Thursday and it didn't fall off while I was driving:

As if poo poo on my truck wasn't naturally decaying quickly enough, someone has to take off the good bits? :tinfoil: The other cowl is in solidly in place. Antenna mast was stolen awhile ago and someone tried to pop out my passenger lock cylinder with it. :argh: loving tweakers.

poo poo to do:
  • Pull passenger seat and read ECU error codes, if any.
  • Find and inspect the speed sensor to determine if it's part of the chain of fail in my intermittent speedometer/odometer and dead cruise control.
  • Take instrument cluster out, gently Deox it (as needed), inspect the solder points & harnesses, and try to find the speedo gremlin.
  • Put in the aftermarket floor mats, seat covers, and steering wheel cover once delivered.
  • Use my PlastiKote Aztec Red scratch repair kit.
  • As long as I'm at it, I may as well put on a locking fuel cap.
  • Save $$$ for eventual timing belt replacement (and all the other repairs handy to do as wondertruck gets dismantled.)
  • Eventual muffler/exhaust system replacement. Should probably get an aftermarket exhaust manifold, too, since the original is prone to self-destructing.
  • Replace lock cylinder and repair minor damage from attempted break in.
  • Learn to do claying, machine buffing, and other parts of proper detailing (and find a place where I can do it.)
  • Get a BT-capable head unit and troubleshoot/replace whichever speaker in the extended cab is out.
  • Cry when the frame inevitably rusts apart.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was warm enough so I did a wash and quick wax. Its annoying to clean around the side molding on the doors, but its protected me from at least 4 dings. gently caress people who open their doors into other cars.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Not bad for a day.

Zig-zagging all over london, went through the Blackwall tunnel 4 times and sat with all the trucks on the M25.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Got the new suspension bits... and another present to my car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Changed the diff in the SC400. Old diff munched the front pinion bearing. New diff was $120 at the junkyard, and had a brand new R&P set in it, barely broken in. Contact pattern and preload are good, so someone even knew what they were doing.
And now that the car isn't screaming for mercy when I get above 20km/h, I got a chance to really give it a good drive. It's totally not the ~V8 Supra~ the stance crowd keeps saying it is, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It really is a wonderful grand tourer, and the 1UZ is exactly the engine I thought it would be.
But the lack of headroom is a lot more of a problem than I thought it would be during the test drive. To keep my head off the headliner my seat takes a position somewhere between 'gangsta lean' and 'dentist's chair', to drive in my normal position I have to open the little visor that slides out under under the sunroof. I might have to flip it because of that, but I really really like this thing. Probably going to look at ways to drop the seat a little.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 26, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Changed the diff in the SC400. Old diff munched the front pinion bearing. New diff was $120 at the junkyard, and had a brand new R&P set in it, barely broken in. Contact pattern and preload are good, so someone even knew what they were doing.
And now that the car isn't screaming for mercy when I get above 20km/h, I got a chance to really give it a good drive. It's totally not the ~V8 Supra~ the stance crowd keeps saying it is, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It really is a wonderful grand tourer, and the 1UZ is exactly the engine I thought it would be.
But the lack of headroom is a lot more of a problem than I thought it would be during the test drive. To keep my head off the headliner my seat takes a position somewhere between 'gangsta lean' and 'dentist's chair', to drive in my normal position I have to open the little visor that slides out under under the sunroof. I might have to flip it because of that, but I really really like this thing. Probably going to look at ways to drop the seat a little.

You can probably pull the seat brackets and fab something up to save an inch or two. I know some aftermarket solutions exist for certain cars, maybe check around?

e: Evidently Sparco / Recaro brackets for the MK IV Supra will fit "with some light modification".

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 26, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Commodore_64 posted:

Got the new suspension bits... and another present to my car.

Thats an AWESOME looking wheel, whats it going on?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats an AWESOME looking wheel, whats it going on?

1965 Corvair Rustbucket. Actually its a Corsa that had a 110 swapped in before I got it. 2 door coupe, pearl white paint, 4 on the floor. I've had it since high school about a decade ago, and I'm finally making it all shiny and fun to drive.

Edit: Imagine this, but filthy, with rusty fenders, and two cherry bombs sticking straight out the rear.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 27, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Commodore_64 posted:

1965 Corvair Rustbucket. Actually its a Corsa that had a 110 swapped in before I got it. 2 door coupe, pearl white paint, 4 on the floor. I've had it since high school about a decade ago, and I'm finally making it all shiny and fun to drive.

Edit: Imagine this, but filthy, with rusty fenders, and two cherry bombs sticking straight out the rear.

Nice! Thats gonna look great. I was dead set on Torque Thrusts for my C10 but those wheels might change my mind.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

replaced my gearbox using my awesome new cordless impact driver that I bought in lieu of paying someone else to fit the gearbox for me.

I'm about 5 hours in now and about 1 hour of that was spent lining the gearbox up so it would slot in (its a bastard on your own). New gearbox is in and mounts are back in. Battery tray and driveshafts to go. Took me 3 days when I did the clutch. Slight improvement this time!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Welded on a 2" receiver hitch, and replaced all the bumper mounting bolts with grade 8 hardware. I only snapped one bolt taking it off with the impact. I still don't plan on towing but I wanted the option.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Replaced the thrashed front sway bar endlinks on my outback. Seems to have solved the front end THUNK on braking. Also cleaned up and greased the sway bar bushings and removed what appeared to be electrical tape from the sway bar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Teflon tape on the swaybar will help retain grease against the body-side bushings.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This weekend:

-cleaned, oiled and reinstalled K&N air filter in both of my civics
-new plugs in EX
-oil and filter in both
--new tires on the Si (kumho ecsta ASX)
new front rotors and pads on the EX civic, was a huge bitch because of course the rotor screws were seized, and one rotor was VERY seized to the hub. Drilled out screws, heat + hammer eventually loosened up the rotor
-charged the battery in my BMW, was weak after sitting most of winter being started every 2 weeks or so

-today I will install clutch slave and master in EX, and clean the hell out of it so I can sell it. If anyone is in the market for a VERY clean manual 08 civic EX and lives near MI, PM me.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Tried to change a headlight bulb, which turned into a farce when I took the wrong bulb out of the wrong side and didn't realise my mistake until I'd binned it. Fortunately the low and high beams are both H7's but I now need 2 high beam bulbs. A fitting cap to a stupid weekend. :negative:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Its getting warm enough that I put my summer tires back on. A little earlier than I wanted, but when I raised my car for the winter I didnt get an alignment and shredded the rears out pretty good. Gotta get an alignment after hours at work soon cause paying like 90 bucks for one can eat it

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Parked it in a crowded parking lot.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Started tearing into the harness on the stang. Found this frigging tying the body, engine, and headlight harness together.

Edit: I am so bad at BBcode

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 30, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

1. Drained the oil.
  2. Pulled the filter.
  3. Looked at the new Motorcraft pressure sensor in my hand, realized it didn't at all match the pressure sensor on the car.
  4. Went to Autozone, got the right one.
  5. Realized I didn't have a 21mm wrench (what? how?) to pull it, went back.
  6. Got the old one out.
  7. Realized I didn't have thread tape (what??? how???), gave up for the day.

It goes back in tomorrow. And I'm re-evaluating my toolbox.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

thelightguy posted:

Parked it in a crowded parking lot.

I'd pay to see the look on the guy's face that saw you backing out and thought he'd be able to swoop into that spot... then realizes ":wtc: there's a loving light pole in the middle of the parking space".

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Teflon tape on the swaybar will help retain grease against the body-side bushings.

Ah, I kind of figured as much, but this was completely dessicated electrical tape. I was worried it was shredded bits of bushing or something until I started pulling it out

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

I'd pay to see the look on the guy's face that saw you backing out and thought he'd be able to swoop into that spot... then realizes ":wtc: there's a loving light pole in the middle of the parking space".

You know they'd just park there anyway, not caring at all that their quad-cab, long bed pickup is now sticking 10 feet into the lane.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I know the beetle isn't "Fiat 500" short, but I do this poo poo all of the time. It is the best feeling.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yesterday I took care of the filthy part of my Corvair, then proceeded to sand blast and paint all four drums so I could try out my new wheels for fit.
More pics when I get home, but they look great!

Also, an example of why I need to replace all my bushings:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I fixed a burnt out rear light today. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysGEyW-QC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I bought my Impreza years ago it came with stupid clip-on pedal covers.

The clutch pedal started rattling during the winter. I took off the bolts (that I could turn) with allen keys and knocked the covers off.

That's a lot of salt built up on that pedal. Off comes the other one.

Take a look at the new pedal covers (which I've had since 2010, intended for the WRX but never made it onto it). Couldn't find my centre punch and then got called away.

Gotta drive to work tomorrow so here comes the hockey tape (at Slow is Fast's suggestion). Actually feels really good to drive.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 31, 2015