Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Freedom Watch just filed a racketeering lawsuit against Hilary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good Citizen posted:

Freedom Watch just filed a racketeering lawsuit against Hilary.

Freedom Watch sounds like a website that sells knockoff Rolexes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How is she racketeering?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Larry Klayman sued the Clintons eighteen times when he was running Judicial Watch, then he sued Judicial Watch, founded Freedom Watch, and has sued the Clintons an additional half dozen or so times. This would be his 25th lawsuit against them, I believe.

Aaaaaaaaany day now he'll win one.

Crowsbeak posted:

How is she racketeering?

Trading favors when she was Secretary of State for donations to the Clinton Foundation, allegedly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FAUXTON posted:

Freedom Watch sounds like a website that solicits donations from wingnuts and then uses a small percentage of those donations to file bullshit court cases that will be dismissed off-hand.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Larry Klayman sued the Clintons eighteen times when he was running Judicial Watch, then he sued Judicial Watch, founded Freedom Watch, and has sued the Clintons an additional half dozen or so times. This would be his 25th lawsuit against them, I believe.

Aaaaaaaaany day now he'll win one.

Hmm, Larry Klayman... where have I heard that name recently...

Oh, right

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Klayman was at that government shutdown rally that Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin spoke at where he told Obama to "put the Koran down and come out with your hands up".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ0ZwA8BfWs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

It's sad that we basically have to make the choice at this point of "do I go kill brown people for questionable reasons" or "do I get stuck doing poo poo jobs for less than a living wage in the middle of nowhere" because we've basically oriented our economy around getting a few folks rich and imperial power.

While this is true, the military has long been a means to upward mobility - at least since 1950 and probably longer, historically.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-71198-13614/unrestricted/danette3.pdf

Doesn't make it right, just puts it into context.

Somewhat unrelated, but how much of the backlash against actual soliders/sailors during the Vietnam War is to blame for the knee-jerk "are troops" bullshit today?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 26, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Boon posted:

While this is true, the military has long been a means to upward mobility - at least since 1950 and probably longer, historically.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-71198-13614/unrestricted/danette3.pdf

Doesn't make it right, just puts it into context.

Somewhat unrelated, but how much of the backlash against actual soliders/sailors during the Vietnam War is to blame for the knee-jerk "are troops" bullshit today?

I mean, people sure joined the union army for the money, though really it was to send the money back home for the family.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Boon posted:

Has it ever been proven that this actually happened?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Don't know, speculating because that's what I understand happened. Might be wrong :confused:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Even if it did, it's become our version of the 'stabbed in the back' myth. There's a shockingly large number of people who think that it was protestors and hippies who lost the Vietnam War because they weren't supporting the troops. There's an attempt to do the same thing with the Iraq war (Liberals lost it, the surge "worked").

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Zeitgueist posted:

It's sad that we basically have to make the choice at this point of "do I go kill brown people for questionable reasons" or "do I get stuck doing poo poo jobs for less than a living wage in the middle of nowhere" because we've basically oriented our economy around getting a few folks rich and imperial power.

Honestly the role of dealing with lovely superior officers day in and day out is also pretty bad, tbqh.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Yes. Mostly done by the right to anti-war veterans who came back and told the truth about Vietnam.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get that even if it didn't happen, it's now accepted that 'happened' for the sake of the narrative.

In trying to find some sort of reputable info to back up either stance, I came across these (by the same author):
http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=350
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

and an awful cracked article that at least links sources for the claims:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20461_5-lies-about-vietnam-war-you-probably-believe.html

Most of the evidence for the other side I found came from forums/blogs and things like this:
http://www.vvfh.org/myths/myth27.html

I guess it ultimately doesn't matter if it happened or not now, I was just interested if there was a way of substantiating the claim.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Boehner, McCarthy, Pelosi, and Bernie read mean tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FunSMzOyKT8

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Oh, right

You know, I should have long since given up caring about this stuff, but this is the kind of thing that pisses me off most. That poor, stupid, probably fat woman is absolutely terrified, and that slimy son of a bitch just dodges instead of using the opportunity to assure her that none of that is actually true.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Oh, right

Also:

List of The West Wing Characters posted:

Larry Claypool – John Diehl: Freedom Watch lawyer (Seasons 1, 4) who spends his time filing lawsuits against President Bartlet and his staff in hopes of bringing down the administration.
He's the one Josh actually implicitly threatens with physical violence at one point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Boehner, McCarthy, Pelosi, and Bernie read mean tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FunSMzOyKT8

Great video but I'm not sure if comparing Bernie to doc brown is mean. Also lol at boehner not knowing what gobstoppers are.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Great video but I'm not sure if comparing Bernie to doc brown is mean.

I think he's actually offended by that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

If Mike Pence signs a bill that allows businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation (which he is expected to do) Gen Con is going to pick up its dice, and figurines, and cards and leave Indiana. It's one of the biggest annual tourist events for Indianapolis.

Good for them. I grew up playing Magic, and based on some of the people I saw during tournaments... wow.

Times have changed, and for the better :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The signing is happening Thursday night. He probably would have done it today, but the media started reporting on an HIV outbreak in the state.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

If Mike Pence signs a bill that allows businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation (which he is expected to do) Gen Con is going to pick up its dice, and figurines, and cards and leave Indiana. It's one of the biggest annual tourist events for Indianapolis.
To the tune of about $50 million, which is a nice chunk of change. I'm sure the bacon sandwich and turkey legs place that just opened next to it will do brisk business.

Dehry posted:

The signing is happening Thursday night. He probably would have done it today, but the media started reporting on an HIV outbreak in the state.
To give you a picture of where the state Dems are, despite knowing the schedule of this thing moving through the legislature and when Pence is going to sign it, the first big rally against it is Saturday.

That's not because the state, county, or young Dems support it, its because any attempt at organizing any action at all beyond someones personal clique, much less those groups working together, basically takes an act of god. When Mitch Daniels rolled in and got the GOP party together a few years back the Dems went to pieces.

Anyways, there is a bipartisan bill in the house to repeal the Patriot act http://thehill.com/policy/technology/236769-house-effort-would-completely-dismantle-patriot-act

Spoiler alert: it will go nowhere

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radbot posted:

Phonebank for Obama Hillary!

Please, this is QV. Phonebank for Cruz.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Anyways, there is a bipartisan bill in the house to repeal the Patriot act http://thehill.com/policy/technology/236769-house-effort-would-completely-dismantle-patriot-act

Spoiler alert: it will go nowhere

Not only will the Patriot Act never be repealed, I bet it'll get dug up in like the 22nd century to justify weird poo poo it was never intended to apply to, just like the Espionage Act of 1917 gets occasionally brought out now.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Please, this is QV. Phonebank for Cruz.

Good call. I'm moving in a week, and I'm going to change from being registered as Independent to Republican. I can't fuckin wait. I'll post pictures of the North Florida flyers and stuff I get. It'll be a hoot.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
QV has set the standard for insufferable accelerationists, the bar is to high now.

Regardless things ARE getting better, if only slowly. Go volunteer at your local dems office if you want to help make a difference, get to know some local politicians.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Quidam Viator posted:

Hahahahaha! Hoooo boy, that's some funny poo poo. Yeah, I phonebanked for Obama in 2008, was an Obamatar, etc. Man, Hillary is my progressive fuckin hero! She's going to make all kinds of progress, just like Obama did, while the GOP and the Kochs just own the poo poo out of the nation from the city level all the way up through the House and Senate. I'm sure they'll change their minds about being obstructionists once it's a woman and not a black man in the Oval!

drat dude, that is some :ironicat: poo poo.
On the other hand, Hillary isn't going to be all 'can't we all just get along' for six years and rely on the better angels of the GOP's nature, having been victim to their tender mercies for the past two decades.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

How the gently caress has he not been declared a vexatious litigant? Do you need to hit 50 bullshit suits? Is there a card that gets punched? Maybe you get the 50th filing free just to help you over the limit.

Duke Igthorn posted:

A few excerpts:

It's "Well, Wisconsin's policies are hurting people and forcing people to move and reducing the quality of life for everyone" vs "You know maybe sorta kinda possibly I'll make slightly less money maybe at some point in the future?"

I hope Misters Berg and Nelson had/have a great wedding day.

If you make more than 150k and care about a couple more cents on the dollar I'm hoping you stay far away anyway. It's not that expensive to live here.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

QV has set the standard for insufferable accelerationists, the bar is to high now.

Regardless things ARE getting better, if only slowly. Go volunteer at your local dems office if you want to help make a difference, get to know some local politicians.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I certainly don't come here to call people names or shitpost. I am honest about what I think, and I act in accordance with those beliefs. I also thought the thread might genuinely enjoy seeing some of the local propaganda that only North Florida can produce. You can do your thing, I can do mine, and we can be civil about it, right?

I'm fully aware I will never make a huge dent on DnD's attitudes and perceptions, but come on, insufferable?

Oracle posted:

On the other hand, Hillary isn't going to be all 'can't we all just get along' for six years and rely on the better angels of the GOP's nature, having been victim to their tender mercies for the past two decades.

I'll tell you this, I know she may have a harder style, but I don't think I'm unjustified in calling her out for not being anything progressive at all. She's a Wall Street darling with a pretty aggressive foreign affairs history, and we know about the DLC's style that she and Bill came from. Do you really expect some Frank Underwood kind of poo poo from her?

I do know that the odds are good that she'll be president, and the GOP will hold Congress, but hell, this far out, anything can happen.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If your going to help further the cause of terrible people the very least you could do is admit that you to, are a terrible person.

And I am very aware of how poo poo North Florida is.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

silvergoose posted:

I mean, people sure joined the union army for the money, though really it was to send the money back home for the family.

You know this is still a thing right? There were a disconcertingly large number of people I served with that joined to help their sick mom/dad/whatever out with the bills. Most of them were sending half their paycheck back home.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Quidam Viator posted:

Do you really expect some Frank Underwood kind of poo poo from her?

If you define Frank Underwood poo poo as incredibly watered down compromises with the Republicans as what happened in the Obamacare-esque education bill in season 1, I'd say yes.

We may yet again need to rely on the Tea Party wing's unfiltered hate of the DNC / a woman president to prevent a grand bargain from happening, because I sure as poo poo don't expect the GOP's obstructionism to stop, but neither do I expect that Obama will be able to brief Hillary on the futility of bipartisanship (and have her believe it)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The territories also provide a large amount of our service members.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Quidam Viator posted:

I'll tell you this, I know she may have a harder style, but I don't think I'm unjustified in calling her out for not being anything progressive at all. She's a Wall Street darling with a pretty aggressive foreign affairs history, and we know about the DLC's style that she and Bill came from. Do you really expect some Frank Underwood kind of poo poo from her?

I do know that the odds are good that she'll be president, and the GOP will hold Congress, but hell, this far out, anything can happen.
Economically, no, she's hard core Third Way Dem. She was a Goldwater Girl in college for chrissake, and came from a Republican family (granted, this was WASPy NE Republican right around the time of the Dixiecrat switch, so that's not quite the damning statement it'd be if it were made today) but she'll do more for women's rights both domestically and abroad than anyone up until her and that's a huge positive mark in my book. She has her moments with things like health care (remember the first attempt in Clinton's first term was designated her baby, which was part of why Republicans were so eager to strangle it in the crib). Foreign policy wise I'm not expecting anything to leave me breathless with wonder, but domestically you may find yourself pleasantly surprised on occasion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You know this is still a thing right? There were a disconcertingly large number of people I served with that joined to help their sick mom/dad/whatever out with the bills. Most of them were sending half their paycheck back home.

Well yeah, I was noting that people joined for the money back then, too. I mean, people were joining the Roman legions for loot. It's the main reason people join armies.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^^Ahh ok. No argument there.

Venom Snake posted:

The territories also provide a large amount of our service members.

Yup. I met a ton of Samoans, even though its an island with a population of ~200k. There was some crazy statistic about Guam having the highest percentage of people who serve(d) in the states or territories.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^^Ahh ok. No argument there.

Yup. I met a ton of Samoans, even though its an island with a population of ~200k. There was some crazy statistic about Guam having the highest percentage of people who serve(d) in the states or territories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CesHr99ezWE

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man it must have been a weird experience for wizened good-ol-boy ultraconservatives like thad cochran the first time they started waking up to tea party attack ads calling them Liberals, possibly alerted by servingpeople coming to empty their chamberpots of nightsoil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

If your going to help further the cause of terrible people the very least you could do is admit that you to, are a terrible person.

And I am very aware of how poo poo North Florida is.

This is SA. I've spent 15 years of my life on here. I am a horrible monster, and I pray for death. What else did you expect? :rolleye:

• Locked thread