Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
SPER is the QLD equivalent of magistrate's court for fines for any confused people not sure why this is a crazy plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the whole point of that second part is to illustrate that my system is not actually ideal but depends on mitigating personal factors and random chance but if you honestly don't want to believe that QR ticketies don't bother to try and argue with confident wealthy looking white guys because its easier and more efficient to victimize poor people and minorities well good for you I guess you live in a beautiful world and I wish I could join you

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 25, 2015

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm not saying that at all, burn qld to the ground, but don't think you're getting a deal by letting sper put you on a payment plan.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

euler posted:

That might be true but I wasn't suggesting they would write of debts as part of a go-slow. That doesn't make sense.

Oh right you just meant doing it as general industrial action not a go slow. ATO workers could definitely do a go slow or walk off the job. They couldn't/wouldn't gently caress around with how much tax people have to pay though.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm not saying that at all, burn qld to the ground, but don't think you're getting a deal by letting sper put you on a payment plan.

TBH I'm mostly talking to Tolradi but I'm actually a little bit hurt that either of you think I'm dumb enough to actually do this yet smart enough to hang out and post on Something Awful

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You triggered my trap card ptsd

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just glad we agree that we should burn QLD to the ground and I don't want to argue anymore

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

TBH I'm mostly talking to Tolradi but I'm actually a little bit hurt that either of you think I'm dumb enough to actually do this yet smart enough to hang out and post on Something Awful

:catstare:

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Tommofork posted:

Oh right you just meant doing it as general industrial action not a go slow. ATO workers could definitely do a go slow or walk off the job. They couldn't/wouldn't gently caress around with how much tax people have to pay though.

Yeah fair enough. Still, I'm sure there are a bunch of departments that would be better off doing a good work strike rather than a go slow, or an actual strike. Centrelink/Human Services is the obvious example.

e: Also I accept that Political Realities mean a public sector good work strike is probably never going to happen. I can dream though.

euler fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The hell happened to my discussion about the taxi cartel v unregulated uber?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Great Barrier Reef: Nationals MP says environmentalists are guilty of treason

quote:

Conservation groups are guilty of treason for lobbying the Unesco world heritage committee on the Great Barrier Reef, Coalition backbencher George Christensen has said.

Christensen made a speech in parliament on Wednesday saying calling for the reef to be classified as in danger was “treacherous” to Australia.

He named Greenpeace, the Australian Marine Conservation Society, Friends of the Earth, Get Up and the Environmental Defender’s Office.

“Although they spruik concepts such as conservation, they are really about destruction, because they want to destroy our way of life and our biggest industry,” Christensen said. “What these eco-traitors really want to do is to shut down the coal industry completely and they do not care if it takes a World Heritage Committee label of ‘in danger’ to do it.

“A label of ‘in danger’ would do enormous damage to the brand of the reef and threaten millions of tourism dollars,” the Queensland MP said. “It would also threaten major investments in my region. This is outright treachery, and these eco-traitors are literally holding the reef to ransom.

Christensen said environmental groups had been successful in boosting protection measures for the reef, and drew on a colourful pop culture reference to make his point.

“They have got what they wanted, and yet they act like Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings, flying overseas and whispering in the ears of the decision-makers and diplomats who have anything to do with Unesco and the World Heritage committee, poisoning their minds on the state of the reef,” he said.

Over the weekend, the Queensland and federal governments jointly released the reef 2050 long term sustainability plan, which sets targets to ensure the viability of the natural wonder.

Leading scientists have called for the scrapping of coal mining in Queensland in order to save the “fragile” reef from “further stress”.
I was not aware that Lord of the Rings was pop culture.

I thought this article was worth posting because it demonstrates yet another data point in an increasing shift towards US style political discourse in this country from the right wing.

Also, Uber sucks. But I found this funny.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Everyone, the CPSU has a CLEAR PLAN on how to win bargaining and it involves everyone putting a can of DEODORANT on their desk next Tuesday morning to show management how much their offer STINKS. That'll show them.

gently caress there are some muppets in this union.

Regarding the forms of industrial action, the Protected Action Ballots lodged late last year by the CPSU for DHS and DVA show that the main areas of action are:

- ignoring KPIs
- go-slows which can be easily called 'complying with all applicable WHS breaks/work to rule/work standard days etc.'
- reading pro-union statements at the start of phone calls/putting them in emails
- strikes of some form.

The ATO one will look pretty similar. Ballot results are published by Fair Work at https://www.fwc.gov.au/resolving-issues-disputes-and-dismissals/industrial-action/protected-action-ballots/ballot-results-8

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I legit want to shut down the coal industry.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

I was not aware that Lord of the Rings was pop culture.

Hmm yes I would say it's high culture or maybe even art, like first dog on the moon.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Someone should respond by calling him Draco Malfoy's simpleminded grunt friend, Vincent Crabbe, from the celebrated Harry Potter series.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fruity Gordo posted:

Traitor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Well there was that fan film that went viral about a decade ago.

George Christensen is a colossal loving nerd though.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It's almost surreal that this alleged human being can consume all these arguably leftist / liberalised TV shows like Doctor Who and reframe them through his idiot brain to be vindications of the conservative moment. As though he watched Fern Gully and concluded all the forest animals were really the ones representative of the coal industry and the loggers were The Fuckin Greens

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

cpaf posted:

It's almost surreal that this alleged human being can consume all these arguably leftist / liberalised TV shows like Doctor Who and reframe them through his idiot brain to be vindications of the conservative moment. As though he watched Fern Gully and concluded all the forest animals were really the ones representative of the coal industry and the loggers were The Fuckin Greens

Choppin down are jobs mate! The Greens are actually a branch of Labor who are the SDA so vote PUP god bless Australiorrrrgh

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You know who else was a green?

Saruman

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The Animals of Farthing Wood deserved to die. Yiff in hell greenies

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Gough Suppressant posted:

You know who else was a green?

Saruman

That's cheating, he was many colours!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

tomkash posted:

God bless Summer Hill I guess. I get emails from Newtown but I've only had a few calls in response to me registering for volunteering on the website from Summer Hill. I definitely see them being disorganised, it took me awhile to get arranged to volunteer and I never got to hand out at train stations in summer hill despite asking and speaking on the phone about it. The summer hill greens have always been super friendly and appreciative of what I've done which is great for me because now I'll probably make more effort to go to meetings and be involved with them. Summer Hill is also a great electorate that I love living and working in so I enjoy meeting more of the community here whereas doorknocking in Newtown was nice but I try to avoid the area.

Hopefully they get their poo poo together in the big gap from Sunday to the federal election. There seem to be a few places things could tighten up and improve. Anyone going to the NSW Greens election party Saturday?

I'm in Summer Hill too, so there you go! They were lovely to me too. I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to the election party, if there's a sizable goon contingent I could be talked into it though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Fruity Gordo posted:

Go look up "Steel" fruity you doofus.

Also lol @ fair evasion chat.

I can tell you guys don't live in Sydney. Our ticket inspectors are awful.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I thought the Abbott point exports were going to be thermal coal rather than coking coal

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

norp posted:

I thought the Abbott point exports were going to be thermal coal rather than coking coal

Splode is too busy to waste his time with such trivialities

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I remember when the ALP opposition promised to abolish the TTCC and demilitarize Translink Cops. Now they're in Government and nothing has changed.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Ludlam had a good line in the senate this morning, "if an agency wants to track me every second of the day, if they want to go through my email and build a social graph of who I'm talking to, get a warrant." Brandis' comeback was "don't you know how long it takes to issue a warrant, I HAVE TO DO IT. ITS REALLY HARD. I DONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME WHY CANT WE JUST WAVE THIS poo poo THROUGH"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Literally the only good thing about these laws is that they're so obnoxiously easy to evade that they may as well not exist.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

Literally the only good thing about these laws is that they're so obnoxiously easy to evade that they may as well not exist.
not really a good thing either

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I remember when the ALP opposition promised to abolish the TTCC and demilitarize Translink Cops. Now they're in Government and nothing has changed.

The issue with the TTCC is that they can't actually just remove it, they have contracts in place and need to wind it down. It takes time to do that. I'd rather they have an inquiry into the whole system and overhaul it, rather than just remove a few bad parts of a very broken system.

Other things that need to be addressed include giving Translink authority over BCC to set routes (currently Translink recommends routes to BCC who generally will say nah we're making lots off the current bunch thanks), a review of the zoning system (zone 1 is pathetically small and really zone 2 should be merged into it) as well as concession fares for the unemployed.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

bowmore posted:

not really a good thing either

No, but if a government is going to introduce draconian surveillance laws, I'd rather they be completely incompetent at it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

No, but if a government is going to introduce draconian surveillance laws, I'd rather they be completely incompetent at it.
I know right, it's hosed that we even have to look at it that way.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

ALP just voted down the amendments that would require agencies to obtain a warrant for non-subscriber information (effectively, they'd be able to access IP-subscriber data but nothing else without a warrant).

THANKS ALP

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Should have been dick butt imo

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

And the internet filter is in:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...326-1m3y6c.html

quote:

Movie and TV rights holders will be able to request judges block an unlimited number of overseas websites facilitating online piracy in the one court case under the Abbott government's website-blocking legislation, due to be introduce into parliament on Thursday, Fairfax Media has learned.

The Copyright (Online Infringement) Bill 2015 contains no cap on the number of websites rights holders can request a judge to block in a single injunction.

Critics of the regime are likely to argue that having no cap on the scheme could result in what happened in India, where a number of legitimate websites were blocked, including Google services, when a judge agreed to block some 472 websites. An updated judgment fixed the error.

The bill, a draft of which Fairfax has seen, also does not say how the sites should be blocked. This means that it will be up to judges to decide whether to stipulate in their rulings how a site is blocked, or for internet providers to figure it out for themselves if a judge makes no mention of this.

How sites are blocked is important, as some of the cheaper blocking methods can result in collateral damage. Australia's corporate watchdog ASIC, for instance, inadvertently blocked access to more than 250,000 innocuous websites when trying to block one believed to be defrauding Australians.

ASIC did this by identifying the IP address of the web server the fraudulent website was hosted on and ordering internet providers to block it under a controversial section of the Telecommunications Act called section 313, which requires the providers to co-operate with Australian enforcement agencies.

But the problem was the IP address blocked was shared by many other websites, leading to hundreds of thousands of other sites also being blocked.

Also not in the bill is a mandated consumer advocate in the court cases, meaning it will be up for the judge to weigh up the public interest in blocking a website. Citizens and digital rights groups won't be prevented from going to cases, however, and raising issues as a third-party, although this could be costly.

There is also no provision in the bill for ISPs to be compensated for setting up a site-blocking regime.

Sites proposed to be blocked will have to be informed, however, although the Attorney-General will be able to change this component of the regime at any time through regulations. Alternatively a judge could allow waive this requirement if a rights holder is unable to contact the site owner.

Before ordering websites to be blocked, a judge must take into account a number of things, including whether other jurisdictions have blocked the site and whether it is in the public interest, including the public interest in freedom of expression, to disable access to the piracy site.

A judge must also consider whether blocking the site is a proportionate response; the site also has to be hosted outside Australia.

The site must also be a service operating outside Australia whose "primary purpose" is to commit or facilitate copyright infringement. It also must be proven that it is facilitating an infringement in Australia.

The judge must also find that the site is "flagrantly" infringing copyright, the bill states.

There is no mention of a public register or similar where Australians can see which sites have been blocked. There's also no mention of whether citizens will see a message when accessing a site that informs them why it was blocked.

In good news for digital rights groups, a judge may limit the amount of time a site is blocked for and, upon application, revoke or vary a block.

The bill is expected to be introduced into on Thursday by Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull. It will immediately be referred to a parliamentary committee for scrutiny.

It's understood that only six weeks will be given for the committee to examine and hold public consultations.

Unintended consequences in drafting fixed

The bill was initially slated to be introduced last week. But a number of "unintended consequences" identified in the bill caused it to be delayed, Fairfax Media has been told.

One of those unintended consequences, according to sources familiar with the drafting of the legislation, could have resulted in the websites of virtual private networks (VPNs) also being caught up in the blocking regime if they were deemed by a judge as facilitating copyright infringement.

VPNs are often used to circumvent website filtering in countries by allowing users to "tunnel" their internet traffic through another country where there is no filtering. But some countries, such as China, have attempted to block access to them.

One such VPN website, TorGuard, promotes itself as being able to "unblock any website regardless of geographical location", and it's understood there were fears in some circles that the way the legislation was initially drafted could have meant VPNs facilitating or allowing piracy could have been blocked as well.

A number of other drafting issues meant the bill was sent back to the Attorney-General's Department for redrafting by the Attorney-General.

"He didn't like the drafting," a government source said of Attorney-General George Brandis' reading of the bill.

"In an area such as this if you are not really specific you end up catching a lot more stuff than you are potentially targeting," another source said.

Simon Bush, head of the Australian Home Entertainment Distributors Association, which represents the $1 billion Australian film and TV home entertainment industry, confirmed the bill had been delayed because of a number of unintended consequences in the drafting.

But Mr Bush would not say whether one of them was the prospect of VPN websites being blocked.

"There did appear to be some unintended consequences in the drafting of the bill," he said. "The minister's office has identified those [and has looked to fix them]."

The Copyright Amendment (Online Infringement) Bill is expected to be referred to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for review.

"There will be adequate time for consultation and for people to make submissions throughout this process," a spokesperson for Senator Brandis said.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Murodese posted:

ALP just voted down the amendments that would require agencies to obtain a warrant for non-subscriber information (effectively, they'd be able to access IP-subscriber data but nothing else without a warrant).

THANKS ALP

Good lord we're well on our way to a technological wasteland ruled over by Murdoch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Conroy finally getting what he wants.

• Locked thread