Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's a SA curse that any thread that is made to laugh at something either
A: turns into ironic appreciation that evolves into unironic,
B: has people saying "well not all x is bad I mean I'm one and..." which leads to A
C: people start obsessing in a sick degree to how much they hate the subject and make it their identity.
D: All of the above.

Thankfully the last years have threads that don't even take time to become one of these. Bless GBS and their hatred of the autistic pizza guy and the hot dog man.

Hot dog man was the best because goons cancelled christmas for their families to give a dumbass money and then got pissed that he was being a dumbass with their money

Admittedly, it was less funny when they started stalking him and posting pictures of his kids, but you know. Goons. :rolleye:

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Error 404 posted:

Ted Pundy's also started up about it. Haha

I hope one of the stretch goals is a giant middlefinger to be built right in front pf his house, possibly with a pile of burning D&D books nearby.
E: rage and cellphone keyboards cause typos

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 25, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

I mean, consider this: as far as I know, and no one has ever come around to contradict me on this, I (the RPGPundit) have actually run the longest single Blue Rose campaign of all time (at about 130 six-to-eight hour sessions played weekly). Of course, it wasn't set in Aldis. It was set in a much grungier place, inspired by the "Port Blacksand" of the old fighting-fantasy books, and so was a mix of Romantic Fantasy tropes with that Lieber/Moorcock/Theives-world style of fantasy. It was awesome, obviously way better than BR's existing setting.
I am going to strangle this man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am going to strangle this man.

Wow, nice ageism. Don't hate on someone for being a comically old fuddy-duddy.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

occamsnailfile posted:

The original Blue Rose was--decent, I thought, having read it ages back. If you like that kind of fantasy the setting fluff is fine for it.

The system was the D20 derivation that eventually became True20 and again, if you like that kind of thing it was okay. I am not a fan of classes and levels so much so it didn't do much for me but I could see it was at least a bit cleaner than stock D&D. Not that this is hard. I have never played the DA RPG they say they plan to use for this one but I heard from some folks that it was unfairly maligned.

I don't think I've heard anyone say anything... "unfair" about DA RPG. Like, it's a run of the mill retroclone complete with skill/ability scores and randomly generated stats. It's never felt especially well tailored to the property it was made for so much as it was just a generic fantasy fantasy rule set designed for older D&D style "random unimportant adventurers going into a dungeon" gameplay slapped onto an existing property. So, it's not like it's actually a better option for people who want to play around in the setting than any given decently designed universal system would be.

Beyond how it works as an adaptation, it really brought nothing to the table that other games don't do as well or better. It's too rigid and fiddly to be a good rules lite game, but too mechanically shallow to be a good traditional or tactical RPG. It's not that anyone particularly maligned the thing so much as it was that... it didn't do a lot to stand out or even justify its own existence. Just bland and forgettable across the board. I'm not going to rule out that you could do something more interesting with the basic system -- Blue Rose's setting and general premise are interesting enough that I'll probably check it out either way -- but I don't think any of the criticisms for what's been done with AGE already have been unfair or even particularly harsh.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 26, 2015

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
AGE is probably no worse a system for Blue Rose than D20 was, but D20 was not a very good system for it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, DA and the Game of Thrones RPG had a lot in common in that bent. I have never heard anyone actually voice an opinion on them. They're sort of platonic ideals of <Franchise>: The RPG.

They were too boring for me to even look and I own loving Continuum, Chi-Chian, and the old Tri-Stat Sailor Moon RPG just to get ideas.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Continuum is many things but I have never before seen it accused of being boring.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, DA and the Game of Thrones RPG had a lot in common in that bent. I have never heard anyone actually voice an opinion on them. They're sort of platonic ideals of <Franchise>: The RPG.

They were too boring for me to even look and I own loving Continuum, Chi-Chian, and the old Tri-Stat Sailor Moon RPG just to get ideas.

My memories of A Song of Ice and Fire RPG are mostly wrapped up in remembering how I got to roll like 6 dice every time I lied to anyone which was pretty satisfying, and it being the first tabletop game I played in where we got further than the first session. So, there was a degree of nostalgia there for a while, and I remember when I went back to look at it more recently I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't as cool as I remembered it being.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Echophonic posted:

How bad is Tri-Stat Sailor Moon, out of curiosity?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Continuum is many things but I have never before seen it accused of being boring.

I dunno, I'd think a completely unplayable game was sort of boring.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Don't you have to think in at least four dimensions to play that one?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes.

And having read and reviewed the entire thing: it is borderline unplayable but it also has massive entertainment value when read.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hi there. Can someone please name for me the most idiot-proof, Java-free character generation software that works with Pathfinder? I've just spent two days cleaning my father's PC but he's still dead set on playing in this new game that he's never had a loving hand in before and is all won over by THIS FANCY SOFTWARE THAT MAKES CHARACTERS EASY that just gave him at least 15 trojans and I cannot trust him to be around.

It's still scanning a room over. I'm hesitant to wipe the entire loving thing because I still need to try and recover his tax data from the entire system, but this should tell you the level of "as dumb as possible" I need to work with here. He still thinks this is all a big loving laugh when it got into his email and has his tax files.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Covok posted:

It's BESM 2e with less stuff because it came between BESM1 and 2.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Hi there. Can someone please name for me the most idiot-proof, Java-free character generation software that works with Pathfinder? I've just spent two days cleaning my father's PC but he's still dead set on playing in this new game that he's never had a loving hand in before and is all won over by THIS FANCY SOFTWARE THAT MAKES CHARACTERS EASY that just gave him at least 15 trojans and I cannot trust him to be around.

It's still scanning a room over. I'm hesitant to wipe the entire loving thing because I still need to try and recover his tax data from the entire system, but this should tell you the level of "as dumb as possible" I need to work with here. He still thinks this is all a big loving laugh when it got into his email and has his tax files.

http://www.pathguy.com/PathfinderCore.htm

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I love you and I am already waiting for him bitching about how it does not have (imaginary feature that the trojan supposedly had before it ate everything).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pathguy's a weird site if you go poking around on it but dude makes decent javascript character makers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I love you and I am already waiting for him bitching about how it does not have (imaginary feature that the trojan supposedly had before it ate everything).

This makes me glad my parents, while tech illiterate, only use Office and Facebook.

Lynx Winters posted:

It's BESM 2e with less stuff because it came between BESM1 and 2.

So..bad? I never played BESM.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

BESM in a general is a kinda bad but simple do-anything system with some incredibly ridiculous loopholes and rocket-tag combat. The biggest broke thing comes from the mecha rules, which Sailor Moon doesn't have, but Sailor Moon still has rocket-tag combat because the guy who wrote it never actually used his own combat rules until David Pulver sat him down and forced him to.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Honestly, I haven't spent that much time with it, since I picked it up as a laugh, but it's got some neat ideas for making shonen-style special moves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lynx Winters posted:

BESM in a general is a kinda bad but simple do-anything system with some incredibly ridiculous loopholes and rocket-tag combat. The biggest broke thing comes from the mecha rules, which Sailor Moon doesn't have, but Sailor Moon still has rocket-tag combat because the guy who wrote it never actually used his own combat rules until David Pulver sat him down and forced him to.

Wait, wait, wait, sat him down and forced him to? Is there a story for this?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mors Rattus posted:

I was just using it as an example of the kind of not really playable stuff I've bought just to read. Continuum is fascinating and I'd LOVE to get my hands on the final Narcissist playtest.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Covok posted:

Wait, wait, wait, sat him down and forced him to? Is there a story for this?

I forget the details but there was some RPGnet post a few years back. One of the main guys behind BESM, Mark MacKinnon, more or less didn't give a toss about rules. BESM1 was pretty much just the three basic stats and you just worked out what your special abilities were with the GM. The combat rules were really basic but it didn't matter because so was everything else. Between BESM1 and 2, David Pulver got involved and they made a more detailed version for the Sailor Moon game, which added more detailed combat, codified special abilities, etc. Later games added more stuff, like Dominion Tank Police adding mecha and skills separate from powers, Tenchi Muyo added some new powers and spaceship stuff, etc. All that new stuff got compiled into BESM2, but the thing is that MacKinnon still just wanted to do freeformish stuff and didn't bother actual balancing the more complex combat rules in Sailor Moon, and the new stuff in each new game just threw more on the tire fire. Eventually Pulver got kind of fed up and sat him down to play a combat session with his own rules. It probably went about how every BESM combat goes (everyone dodges for a loving hour and then someone dies in one hit) and I guess that's around the time they decided to make BESM3 , which was better in a lot of ways but still pretty bad and easy to break on accident.

I played a lot of BESM2 in high school, mostly because it was pretty simple and because my friend refused to learn anything else, but it's always been pretty busted.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Covok posted:

I have a book from the same company from the same era (Tenchi Muyo! RPG and Resource Book, the first RPG I ever bought).
Inside they designed all the characters from the show.
One character costs 55 points, and has such traits as slightly lucky, owns a gun, and owns a spaceship.
Another character costs 60 and has the traits shoots lasers from her hands, teleports, walks through walls, can split into two identical people, regenerates health, can bench press a motorcycle, flies, and doesn't need to breath.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

One character costs 55 points, and has such traits as slightly lucky, owns a gun, and owns a spaceship.
Another character costs 60 and has the traits shoots lasers from her hands, teleports, walks through walls, can split into two identical people, regenerates health, can bench press a motorcycle, flies, and doesn't need to breath.

I'd imagine the spaceship probably counts for a fair bit in that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Covok posted:

also while I'm here, I can answer this: it's incredibly rough and probably the only more ill-conceived use of it that I can think of than "playing it as written" is "that time I tried to convert the characters/youma within the books to d20".

For some reason that set of books is one of the only remaining tabletop products I haven't burned.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd imagine the spaceship probably counts for a fair bit in that.

It is but the scale of the show means that owning a small spaceship is significantly less useful than basically being a sorcerer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That does seem like a mis-stat, yeah.

Mihoshi isn't slightly lucky; she's insanely lucky and brings doom upon all her foes for no good reason at all.

(Admittedly this is hard to tell apart from having PC Glow.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MadScientistWorking posted:

Hahahah.... How quaint.... You honestly think they give a poo poo about their policies.
:iamafag: You can submit your apology in the form of a 4-day badge.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

The thing about Mihoshi's stats is that in BESM, Own A Big Mecha is one of the best powers. The way it works is that you spend character points on it, and get four times as many character points to spend on powers for your mecha. The thing is, "mecha" apparently means anything from spaceship to giant robot to form-fitting power armor to whatever else you could drive/wear that gives you extra things to do. For example, Cold Skin Dark Hearts or whatever the "horror" supplement was called used the mecha power for the mummy's magic wraps and give the mummy a boatload of extra powers. Dumping every point you have into Mecha and then never taking it off is some entry-level powergaming but it's one of the most obvious things. Mihoshi sinking points into the mecha power is actually really smart, it's just that having it in the form of an actual spaceship is a giant waste.

Mecha is also the gateway to literally infinite character points due to how the Voltron-like option worked.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"Three stats ought to be enough for anybody," Ernesto Gary Gygax, 1981

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was a Sailor Moon RPG?

There was a Tenchi Muyo RPG?

What other Toonami poo poo were there RPGs of?!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Waffleman_ posted:

They were just supplements for BESM. They also got licenses to do Slayers and Hellsing. They didn't get a license for Pokemon, but they released a genre book called Cute and Fuzzy Cock-fighting Seizure Monsters. Guardians of Order never produced very good games, but they had some pretty okay genre writers and a lot of enthusiasm.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lynx Winters posted:

Mihoshi sinking points into the mecha power is actually really smart, it's just that having it in the form of an actual spaceship is a giant waste.

All of the Tenchi characters are actually really powerful because they all have one or more of "Have a Giant Mecha" "Item of Great Power" or "Magical Power" which are all point multiplier powers.

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that BESM was really unplayably bad. It was a game that wanted to be FUDGE but for some reason was designed like GURPS.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It would be cool if we had a magical girl RPG that was written by someone who'd seen anything beyond Sailor Moon, Madoka, and maybe some Precure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know about Slayers, I even have a PDF of it.

Just, man. Tenchi. What a hoot.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Effectronica posted:

It would be cool if we had a magical girl RPG that was written by someone who'd seen anything beyond Sailor Moon, Madoka, and maybe some Precure.

Hasn't Ewen Cluney done one or two things along those lines?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

Hasn't Ewen Cluney done one or two things along those lines?

I don't want to insult Ewen, but Magical Burst is pretty blatantly Madoka, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Where's my Tokyo Mew Mew RPG?

edit- actually I could see how a Cardcaptor rpg could be pretty fun

• Locked thread