Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, I was baffled when Lucas' theme played for the final fights.

I mean, really? There are still songs that haven't even shown up yet! I was seriously expecting this to be the duel theme.

Hot drat that's a good track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, I was baffled when Lucas' theme played for the final fights.

I mean, really? There are still songs that haven't even shown up yet! I was seriously expecting this to be the duel theme.

That's some James Bond sounding poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(although the total lack of aftermath to his fight with Adou is weird, almost as if they forgot he's supposed to have a grudge with him).

This actually makes total sense. Adou never gave a flip about Yuuma from word one, it was as one-sided a rivalry as possible because Adou said mean things that one time and made Weenie-Yuuma curl up and cry. Since Yuuma got over his whiny lovely phase and came into his own, there's not really any reason for him to have a particular need to beat Adou's face beyond "Hey he's really strong and it would be a great way to prove how I've improved from my old self". The culmination to Yuuma's rivalry with Adou is simply that the two of them became equals(Adou remembered his name without prompting!), which is a tremendous achievement considering both previous times they met Adou dismantled Yuuma with no effort at all.

The passion that Yuuma managed to cram into both of his last two fights here was more sincere than pretty much all of Fumina and Sekai's fights and speeches combined. The character really went from "worst in the show" to "probably my favorite" ever since the Meijin episode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

This actually makes total sense. Adou never gave a flip about Yuuma from word one, it was as one-sided a rivalry as possible because Adou said mean things that one time and made Weenie-Yuuma curl up and cry. Since Yuuma got over his whiny lovely phase and came into his own, there's not really any reason for him to have a particular need to beat Adou's face beyond "Hey he's really strong and it would be a great way to prove how I've improved from my old self". The culmination to Yuuma's rivalry with Adou is simply that the two of them became equals(Adou remembered his name without prompting!), which is a tremendous achievement considering both previous times they met Adou dismantled Yuuma with no effort at all.

The passion that Yuuma managed to cram into both of his last two fights here was more sincere than pretty much all of Fumina and Sekai's fights and speeches combined. The character really went from "worst in the show" to "probably my favorite" ever since the Meijin episode.

Build Fighters Season 3: Touched by a Meijin

If they dumo Sekai and Fumina and Yuuma are the main characters, then that title would actually be true.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

This actually makes total sense.

No, that much makes total sense, I'm with you. I'm saying them not shaking hands or even acknowledging each other's existence after the fight is weird, specifically because Yuuma uses to have a grudge but got over it. It could be something they're saving for next episode, but I somehow doubt it since it's set several weeks later.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Sekai is no joke the most boring and least useful character I've ever seen in a show. What a wet fart of a finale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Angry Bug posted:

Sekai is no joke the most boring and least useful character I've ever seen in a show. What a wet fart of a finale.

And the entire season's undercut by being nothing more than a stepping stone to the World Cup. To be fair, that wouldn't be a bad finale in a standalone series, but when we've seen the series stroll right through to the World Cup in a single season it's not good. Especially when the rivals have been pretty awful on the whole, save for Sakai.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm looking forward to the world cup series with all our favorites from season one and Sakai and... Lady? Lucas was okay I guess?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, ANN has really not been bringing its A-game for its episode reviews of this show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

An Angry Bug posted:

I can see how you'd think he was boring, but he was hardly a useless character. He did plenty of things and helped the protagonists out massively throughout. He was too useful in many ways, because they relied entirely on their "ace" for much of the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wow, you're not wrong.

Episode 24 review posted:

Conversely, thanks to the choice to introduce the Gunpla Academy members early on and offer them cameos in nearly every episode ever since, the show has done a great job offering some motive behind the rivalries that made this battle significant.

:what:

edit:

tsob posted:

I can see how you'd think he was boring, but he was hardly a useless character. He did plenty of things and helped the protagonists out massively throughout. He was too useful in many ways, because they relied entirely on their "ace" for much of the show.

He didn't help squat, the writers just pushed him into center spotlight as designated hero.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How does this season now have any drat Fellini in it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I know the general mood of the thread was that Try was disappointing but let's not dip too much into hyperbole.

Sekai was the Main Character. He won or played a crucial role in all of the fights. Part of the reason he is so disliked is because he rarely did these things well, but he still did them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So being the main reason they're in the tournament at all, helping Yuuma get back in to Gunpla Fighting and being their best fighter who helped them win numerous fights is nothing then? I mean, if you're just going to say that's all just the writers pushing him in to the protagonist limelight and not anything of his own then that's true of an awful lot of other leads too, who didn't really do much other than win fights and keep the plot moving. They may have done it with more personality, but him being dull isn't in dispute - just his usefulness, because that seems to just be ascribing a random word to the guy to make the insult longer, and thus better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I know the general mood of the thread was that Try was disappointing but let's not dip too much into hyperbole.

Sekai was the Main Character. He won or played a crucial role in all of the fights. Part of the reason he is so disliked is because he rarely did these things well, but he still did them.

Sekai's disliked because that's all he did. He has no interest in Gunpla, nor does he actually do anything of his own initiative outside of fighting. The closest he ever got to character development was fighting Shimon. Hell, his sister got more characterization and personality than him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I... what? Have you been watching some bizzaro version of Try that's even worse than the actual one?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just found him a little boring, along with the rest of the main three (Apart from the last 8 or so episodes of Yuuma) because they just felt like "People who kinda enjoy Gunpla, I guess."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think the last fight was pretty alright with some parts that were good, but I suppose you want the climax of your whole show to be better than that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Try was doomed from the start when instead of giving the big bonkers to the hot mom and idol lady the planning committee decided to put big honkers on the 12 year olds.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
*nods*

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

:agreed:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, I like how Meijin and Lady Meijin have been standing/sitting in the exact same poses for every single match.

That is some dedication to the art of exposition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Try was doomed from the start when instead of giving the big bonkers to the hot mom and idol lady the planning committee decided to put big honkers on the 12 year olds.

To be half-fair you can tell someone was probably a voice of reason around the mid-point of the series when Fumina stopped wearing the workout outfit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it can be kind of easy to feel like Sekai didn't do much because so much of what he does relies on either Luck or The Build Burning or a combination of the two. He actually does a lot in the show but a lot of what he does is so inexorably tied to the Build Burning which is itself kind of presented as a tremendous handicap and when that handicap isn't enough it feels like Sekai has a relatively bad showing against anyone who isn't Wilfred.

To be honest Sekai's showing in the finals was honestly pretty poo poo. He doesn't really do anything more impressive than Fumina and Yuuma. (in fact Yuuma and Fumina are up and fighting in his spotlight episode while both Fumina and Yuuma end up being the only ones up in their respective episodes.) He ends up getting his poo poo pushed in twice and barely wins a solo fight that wasn't going to determine the battle anyway in his spotlight episode. It's sort of weird because the first half makes him feel super-overpowered once once he hits the finals he's kind of lackluster.

Even in the finals he wins through a combination of a lucky Time Over saving him from what looked like a killing blow and his rival forewarning him of Wilfred's hidden technique. He obviously outfights Wilfred once they're both fighting on (relatively) equal ground but all in all he actually does feel a bit lackluster for the genius fighter super ace with a god mecha.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be half-fair you can tell someone was probably a voice of reason around the mid-point of the series when Fumina stopped wearing the workout outfit.

They probably should've changed the ending credits as well, if that's what they're going for.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sharkopath posted:

At least they toned the boob-age a little bit around the halfway point of the season.

Fumina really should have been the main character. She had a motivation you can actually write around, PLUS you can still have the crazy rookie dude Sekai on the team.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

At least they toned the boob-age a little bit around the halfway point of the season.

Fumina really should have been the main character. She had a motivation you can actually write around, PLUS you can still have the crazy rookie dude Sekai on the team.

The show woukd have been really improved by just having the team watch chihaya and going "let's copy that."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The show woukd have been really improved by just having the team watch chihaya and going "let's copy that."

Sekai being Taichi would own way more.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The sad thing about Try is that there were so many ways it could have been better, but it never did any of them. It never tried hard enough.

I guess the moral of the story is that six months is not enough time to make a quality product.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

They probably should've changed the ending credits as well, if that's what they're going for.

That's why I said half-fair :v:. Granted, some of the shots in the end credits are probably a bit too complex to re-animate with the show's budget/time issues (or at least use thereof) and it probably got put together way before someone (hypothetically) brought in a modicum of common sense.

BlitzBlast posted:

The sad thing about Try is that there were so many ways it could have been better, but it never did any of them. It never tried hard enough.

I guess the moral of the story is that six months is not enough time to make a quality product.

If we are very very lucky, the next season might be better. They've clearly planned both in one go, so the next season might've actually had time for proper development.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a minor thing but part of the reason I checked out was I just wasn't interested in any of the robot designs, all of them being variants of gundams I don't like from shows I dont like. somebody can feel free to count to prI've me wrong but anecdotally I feel like the first season had more variety in origin and aesthetic of all the customs.

Tryon is cool though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh my god there's a unicorn gundam baby hiding inside the end

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

That was just goddamn weird. I'm honestly surprised they didn't pull a "psyche, BACKUP MACHINE!" gambit with it.

edit:

Wait, little guy in the chest? Torso mouth?

The End was a Gunmen :stonk:.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think that's the only thing i'm going to remember aside from yuuma's beam saber arm

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

I thought it looked like a GN Archer.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TARDISman posted:

I thought it looked like a GN Archer.

i can't believe this horseshit you're spewing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How I'd sum it up myself is that like two thirds of the episode just feel so passionless. With BF, you could tell they had all these ideas. Characters, set-pieces, cool cameos, just so much enthusiasm for the production and the source material that it bled into everything they did.

BF Try, in turn, feels like someone saying "Hey, remember that labor of love you poured all your heart and soul into? Do it again." It just doesn't work that way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
TIGER VS D-....Phoenix?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume babby Unicorn was Saga's first-ever gunpla or something and he kept it around even while he built an rear end in a top hat robot around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's The End's Inner Child

• Locked thread