Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kurtofan posted:

I mean, is there any chance of fainting while driving, going off the road etc...? Or is it just pain/worsening of the sprain?

Have them walk around. If they faint, then they should not drive.

Otherwise, if they can pump the brakes 5 times then they are probably safe.

That said, it will probably make the sprain heal slower and be painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Long story short, my mother sprained her ankle, her physician think she might have a fracture and told her not to walk without crutches, she drived and walked to her radiography and it came back negative. She still has to do a MRI but she wants to visit my grandmother (who is incapacited right now) and it's a two hour drive. She can walk and drive, though from what I gather she was in more pain from it.

Do you think I'm right to be worried?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 25, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kurtofan posted:

Long story short, my mother sprained her ankle, her physician think she might have a fracture and told her not to walk without crutches, she drived and walked to her radiography and it came back negative. She still has to do a MRI but she wants to visit my grandmother (who is incapacited right now) and it's a two hour drive. She can walk and drive, though from what I gather she was in more pain from it.

Yes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have an excel spreadsheet.

A1 is a parent company name
A2 contains a list of firms partially owned by that parent company, all in this one cell. Example; [Aardvark Advice Associates, Aardvark Architecture, Beluga Business Bureau, Cheetah Construction Consulting, etc.] All in the single A2 square.

The spreadsheet has this pattern for about 153 rows, which provides information on 153 parent companies.

My goal is to find all the parent companies that have some ownership of "Beluga Business Bureau". What is the fastest way to do this? Control-F for "Beluga Business Bureau" and manually record each parent company entry?

I'm going to do this for many of the animal firms found in various column 2 cells.

=ISNUMBER((SEARCH("Beluga Business Bureau",A2)))

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Kurtofan posted:

Yes. Be a good son and drive her (i assume you live in the basement and have no job or social obligations [project99 raid schedule doesn't count] and a valid license)

With a hurt ankle it is unsafe to drive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I need to resize a window (spectrum visualiser for Foobar 2000), so that the aspect ratio is kept. Even better is if I am able to verify that it is indeed 16:9 and not 161:89 or whatever. Windows 8.1. Any tips?
Like, main thing is to figure out resizing it with preservation of aspect ratio, aspect ratio already is nailed to a sufficient degree of accuracy.

Edit: I mean, I have workaround, but this is like third tool in last month I wanted to set up aspect ration/size so it would be good to learn a good way to do so instead of painting black squares of needed size and then doing shamanistic rituals with semi-transparent windows.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 25, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Schweinhund posted:

=ISNUMBER((SEARCH("Beluga Business Bureau",A2)))

Thank you for the response. So if I changed this from A2 to A2:N2, it would search all those cells, yeah? Because it is likely that Beluga Business Bureau is partially owned by many different parent companies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have an excel spreadsheet.

A1 is a parent company name
A2 contains a list of firms partially owned by that parent company, all in this one cell. Example; [Aardvark Advice Associates, Aardvark Architecture, Beluga Business Bureau, Cheetah Construction Consulting, etc.] All in the single A2 square.

The spreadsheet has this pattern for about 153 rows, which provides information on 153 parent companies.

My goal is to find all the parent companies that have some ownership of "Beluga Business Bureau". What is the fastest way to do this? Control-F for "Beluga Business Bureau" and manually record each parent company entry?

I'm going to do this for many of the animal firms found in various column 2 cells.

I must be missing something; why can't you just use a filter?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a bunch of scanned readings that are basically two pages of a book per PDF page. Is there any easy way I can split them so every PDF page is one book page?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So with the whole issue of Swatting, if the cops destroys your property during the swatting effort (like say shooting a streamer's expensive computer), is there any liability from the police involved or are they free to wreck your house?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gyrobot posted:

liability from the police

lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If a guy gets swatted and the cops shoot the streamer, whose liable? Is that manslaughter or homicide?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Depending on where you live, you can file a civil suit, but the sad fact is you'll probably spend more on legal fees than you'll get out of the government. (You won't get a red-hot cent from the police, they'll almost certainly have qualified immunity, you have to sue the city or county government.) Generally, the laws are laid down in such a way that there's little to no chance a police officer will hesitate in their duty while considering whether their actions will financially impact them. If there's a dude in the house that may or may not have a hostage, you don't want the officer mentally calculating whether he can afford to pay to replace that window he's about to jump through, just in case he's wrong. (At least, that's the prevailing logic, although some studies have shown evidence this may actually be extremely overblown, and blah blah blah...)

Edit: If the streamer gets shot, he (or his family, if he dies) can try to make the case that the police were excessive in their use of force, but he can't actually sue the police just for being there and acting on a warrant. He might be able to make a case against the judge that signed off on the stupid thing, but more likely than not the only person a court will believably attribute a verdict against is the person that actually Swatted him, and good loving luck finding that person!

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 25, 2015

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Depending on where you live, you can file a civil suit, but the sad fact is you'll probably spend more on legal fees than you'll get out of the government. (You won't get a red-hot cent from the police, they'll almost certainly have qualified immunity, you have to sue the city or county government.) Generally, the laws are laid down in such a way that there's little to no chance a police officer will hesitate in their duty while considering whether their actions will financially impact them. If there's a dude in the house that may or may not have a hostage, you don't want the officer mentally calculating whether he can afford to pay to replace that window he's about to jump through, just in case he's wrong. (At least, that's the prevailing logic, although some studies have shown evidence this may actually be extremely overblown, and blah blah blah...)

Edit: If the streamer gets shot, he (or his family, if he dies) can try to make the case that the police were excessive in their use of force, but he can't actually sue the police just for being there and acting on a warrant. He might be able to make a case against the judge that signed off on the stupid thing, but more likely than not the only person a court will believably attribute a verdict against is the person that actually Swatted him, and good loving luck finding that person!

Guess it would really suck if the cops shot the streamer's computer and destroy their livelihood.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thank you for the response. So if I changed this from A2 to A2:N2, it would search all those cells, yeah? Because it is likely that Beluga Business Bureau is partially owned by many different parent companies.
No, you'd put that in it's own column and drag it to fill. It returns true if that cell contains the phrase, false otherwise. If you data is in a proper table then you can sort for the true cells.

The more proper way is to just convert it to a table and use the tables search feature.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 25, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Long shot given all that I have researched so far, but might as well try.

I'm in Canada. I want to buy something big (200x40x20cm) and heavy from China, namely from the taobao website. I wanted to use a taobao agent for this, such as buychina.com. However, the item is 100$. The shipping is 200$ (or more if they care about volume, and I bet they do) and would go out by courier. This seems silly, I should be able to get it for cheaper and slower.

Any ideas how not to break the bank on the drat shipping?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

I'm in Canada. I want to buy something big (200x40x20cm) and heavy from China, namely from the taobao website. I wanted to use a taobao agent for this, such as buychina.com. However, the item is 100$. The shipping is 200$ (or more if they care about volume, and I bet they do) and would go out by courier. This seems silly, I should be able to get it for cheaper and slower.

$200 sounds pretty reasonable given the dimensions.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

No Gravitas posted:

Why are you buying a coffin from China?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

kalstrams posted:

I need to resize a window (spectrum visualiser for Foobar 2000), so that the aspect ratio is kept. Even better is if I am able to verify that it is indeed 16:9 and not 161:89 or whatever. Windows 8.1. Any tips?
Like, main thing is to figure out resizing it with preservation of aspect ratio, aspect ratio already is nailed to a sufficient degree of accuracy.

Edit: I mean, I have workaround, but this is like third tool in last month I wanted to set up aspect ration/size so it would be good to learn a good way to do so instead of painting black squares of needed size and then doing shamanistic rituals with semi-transparent windows.

I hope they find the cure to autism soon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crankit posted:

I hope they find the cure to autism soon.
But that would imply that your posting is gone, wouldn't it? :ohdear:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

kalstrams posted:

But that would imply that your posting is gone, wouldn't it? :ohdear:

No, guy who posted about not wanting 161:89 aspect ratio on your computer screen windows.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

gyrobot posted:

Guess it would really suck if the cops shot the streamer's computer and destroy their livelihood.

If you have found a way to be a professional streamer (ie getting paid to talk over playing video games, to the point that you can make an actual living off of doing it) you would have to be a stone cold moron to not have all of your equipment insured out the rear end.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Why are you buying a coffin from China?

I need to bury my hopes and dreams of owning a cheaply shipped guzheng in something.

DNova posted:

$200 sounds pretty reasonable given the dimensions.

Gotcha, thanks.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I have a list of filenames and paths in various locations across a server. Is there a way I can create a batch file or something that will copy all of them into one location?

(I've got a somewhat useable method using Excel to create an HTML document that has them all in iFrames, but it displays some files in the frame and prompts others for download)

e: nvm I actually read the page I found properly

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I must be missing something; why can't you just use a filter?

I think filters just treat things separated by commas as 1 long object, don't they?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The search part of the filter tool works just like the search function; as long as what you searched for is somewhere in a cell it will return with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Where is the new "stuff you just figured out" thread?

I'm stupid and on my phone, and can't find it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Where is the new "stuff you just figured out" thread?

I'm stupid and on my phone, and can't find it.

I made one a while back but it died from lack of interest.

I haven't seen another.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

I made one a while back but it died from lack of interest.

I haven't seen another.

I think it got modclosed for longness, and nobody ever got around to making a new one. I nominate Mister Macys.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If you're after a single formula to give you the answer I reckon the following will work:

=COUNTIF(A2:N2, "*Beluga Business Bureau*")

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
E: Moving my question elsewhere

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 26, 2015

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Why do I picture dudes standing around a flaming garbage can when I think of doowop music? What's the connection?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

dokmo posted:

Why do I picture dudes standing around a flaming garbage can when I think of doowop music? What's the connection?

I feel like I've seen that scene somewhere recently. It might have been Frank's old gang in "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" but I know I've seen it elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that style of singing started in inner cities and people did stand around burning barrels in squats and empty lots. Still do. Here's the closest analog I could find of an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzSjtuMGOQ

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I'm trying to sell something on Ebay and when the auction ended, the winning bidder told me he "can't come up with the money". Okay...so I'll just re-list the item and try again, but Ebay has already invoiced me for a 'final value fee'. Will they credit me for that since the item didn't actually sell? How do I get them to do that?

It's not a lot of money but still.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rexim posted:

I'm trying to sell something on Ebay and when the auction ended, the winning bidder told me he "can't come up with the money". Okay...so I'll just re-list the item and try again, but Ebay has already invoiced me for a 'final value fee'. Will they credit me for that since the item didn't actually sell? How do I get them to do that?

It's not a lot of money but still.

There is a dispute option. They'll investigate and if they rule in your favor, will refund your fees.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

Rocky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75c5iY9sDgY

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 26, 2015

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I'll bet that's it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I'm in charge of a sandwich lunch on a camping trip with vegetarians. What kind of stuff should I get, aside from cheese?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm in charge of a sandwich lunch on a camping trip with vegetarians. What kind of stuff should I get, aside from cheese?

Beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

KnifeWrench posted:

Hummus?