Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, Preacher is going to be amazing just based on casting. It's on AMC right? So they will have a good show to replace Mad Men with?

"And maybe we can stagger the seasons on that into half-seasons with yearlong gaps too!" - AMC exec, cackling wildly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, how's Powers?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

zoux posted:

So, how's Powers?

On the one hand, it's got really bad effects regardless of budget, and it wallows in cliche.

On the other hand, it's loving awesome, the first ep suffers from pilot syndrome, but the momentum just keeps building from there.

Eddie Izzard as super powered Hannibal Lecter = :swoon:

Basically, it's not as good as flash, or arrow, or even shield at times, but goddamn it's pretty fun to watch. At it's best it has kind of an Alphas vibe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am currently watching the latest Flash episode and i am just so giddy for Barry to have all his romantic hopes and dreams utterly crushed :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I am currently watching the latest Flash episode and i am just so giddy for Barry to have all his romantic hopes and dreams utterly crushed :allears:

The juxtaposition of Well's Ï'm not a father" speech to Cisco was amazing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Madkal posted:

The juxtaposition of Well's Ï'm not a father" speech to Cisco was amazing.

The show has parts so good that it is very easy to overlook the occasional idiocy of some of its other parts. I freaking love this goddamn show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well two comic book shows with husbands pointing guns at their wives this week. Really unsettling. I hope we don't really have to go this dark on a regular basis.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

Well two comic book shows with husbands pointing guns at their wives this week. Really unsettling. I hope we don't really have to go this dark on a regular basis.

What was the other one?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Error 404 posted:

What was the other one?

Arrow and Agents of Shield

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

Arrow and Agents of Shield

Ah, I watch via hulu, so I won't see Arrow til tomorrow.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

ToastyPotato posted:

The show has parts so good that it is very easy to overlook the occasional idiocy of some of its other parts. I freaking love this goddamn show.

I want someone to mash up those two scenes so I can watch them back to back forever. Open the mashup with them watching Buster Keaton.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Arrow speculation - Deadshot gonna get Lazarus Pit-ed

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hi liter posted:

Arrow speculation - Deadshot gonna get Lazarus Pit-ed

I doubt it since it's pretty clear they killed him and wrote off the Suicide Squad because of the movie coming out. We already know they've been told they can't use other characters for the very same reason, that's why Bronze Tiger was killed off in the tie-in comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deadpool posted:

I doubt it since it's pretty clear they killed him and wrote off the Suicide Squad because of the movie coming out. We already know they've been told they can't use other characters for the very same reason, that's why Bronze Tiger was killed off in the tie-in comic.

The mid season Arrow teaser said Suicide Squad was coming back, but I agree that it's unlikely anyone on the old team shown in Arrow will be on the new one. (That was a really good episode though).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

The mid season Arrow teaser said Suicide Squad was coming back, but I agree that it's unlikely anyone on the old team shown in Arrow will be on the new one. (That was a really good episode though).

What midseason teaser? The one from like a week or two ago? Because that was talking about this episode.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Production photo from the set of Flash spoiled the end of Arrow this season.

Obvious spoiler here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That Ra's Arrow Ghul costume looks pretty swank, to be honest. Though maybe it's supposed to be that Barry fucks with the timeline and Ollie accepts Ra's offer in the broken universe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, that's from Flash's finale? When it was posted in the Arrow thread I thought it was from there.

If that's Flash then yeah I think what Gaz-L said sounds right.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, that's from Flash's finale? When it was posted in the Arrow thread I thought it was from there.

If that's Flash then yeah I think what Gaz-L said sounds right.

It will truly be the darkest timeline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The least realistic thing in comic book tv shows this week is a government kill squad using a windows 8 tablet.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

bairfanx posted:

I want someone to mash up those two scenes so I can watch them back to back forever. Open the mashup with them watching Buster Keaton.

Well, I made a playlist , which is good enough for me

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

The least realistic thing in comic book tv shows this week is a government kill squad using a windows 8 tablet.

True, should be Windows 95 for the important dudes and Win 3.11 for the suckers.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Decius posted:

True, should be Windows 95 for the important dudes and Win 3.11 for the suckers.

Nah, they've made great progress. I'm pretty sure they're up to ME by now.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mark Guggenheim says that Deadshot was killed of because WB had told them he's of the table for them to use on Arrow with the Suicide Squad movie coming up. I imagine the same could happen for Deathstroke and Captain Boomerang soon too

I wonder how badly Flash will be impacted if they do stuff like this when that movie is gearing up considering they've run through so much of his rogues gallery in just the first season so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Barry, we've all decided to go back to calling you the Red Streak".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dacap posted:

I wonder how badly Flash will be impacted if they do stuff like this when that movie is gearing up considering they've run through so much of his rogues gallery in just the first season so far.

That might be why they're running through the Rogues this way. Get those plot arcs done early so it won't be a blow to their plans for the future.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I don't know, Deathstroke and Boomerang are both stuck in island jail. They don't have to get killed off, just never get free.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man that loving sucks. I'm guessing that Flash is going to run for 3 more seasons before it gets shitcanned for the Flash movie.

Maybe this is why they're working on the big spin-off?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A season finale ends with Barry and Wells running at each other, then one season break and a corporate mandate later Cisco goes "Sure sucks that Thawrne tripped on a rock and tripped so fast he exploded. Say, Barry, what do you think of this doctor that just bought Star Labs, Jerry McGee?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's odd that they are doing this at all, but I think the Suicide Squad is a different situation since it really isn't tied directly into the Green Arrow mythos and is a relatively obscure property (relative to the obviously bigger stuff like Superman and Batman; a category I would put the Flash at least in the ballpark of). So they might be doing this so they can control how these characters are presented without comparisons to Arrow.

They obviously can't really do this kind of thing with Flash and Gotham without outright canceling those shows. And if the problem is controlling public perception/awareness, it will probably be harder with the main character of a show, compared to the SS which appeared in, what, 3 episodes?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A season finale ends with Barry and Wells running at each other, then one season break and a corporate mandate later Cisco goes "Sure sucks that Thawrne tripped on a rock and tripped so fast he exploded. Say, Barry, what do you think of this doctor that just bought Star Labs, Jerry McGee?"

"Cisco I told you to call me Impulse from now on"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

It's odd that they are doing this at all, but I think the Suicide Squad is a different situation since it really isn't tied directly into the Green Arrow mythos and is a relatively obscure property (relative to the obviously bigger stuff like Superman and Batman; a category I would put the Flash at least in the ballpark of). So they might be doing this so they can control how these characters are presented without comparisons to Arrow.

They obviously can't really do this kind of thing with Flash and Gotham without outright canceling those shows. And if the problem is controlling public perception/awareness, it will probably be harder with the main character of a show, compared to the SS which appeared in, what, 3 episodes?

And an animated film, though, granted, they weren't given the title, despite being the main characters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Easy solution is that movie Flash is really Wally West.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dacap posted:

Mark Guggenheim says that Deadshot was killed of because WB had told them he's of the table for them to use on Arrow with the Suicide Squad movie coming up. I imagine the same could happen for Deathstroke and Captain Boomerang soon too

Good to see how little DC TV shows have changed since the days of screwing over JLU because they wanted to do something with Smallville or whatever. Because you see people are too stupid to understand that there are different continuities with shows and movies and cartoons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Because you see people are too stupid to understand that there are different continuities with shows and movies and cartoons.

This is actually true.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

This is actually true.

When was the last time this was actually tested though? I feel like its one of those things where people say a thing like as if it is a scientific law without ever putting forth any data that proves it. I don't think I have ever seen a measured explanation of this theory. It's the same with the "you can't have a main character wear a mask the whole movie, audiences wouldn't connect!" I have never seen it proven.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

When was the last time this was actually tested though? I feel like its one of those things where people say a thing like as if it is a scientific law without ever putting forth any data that proves it. I don't think I have ever seen a measured explanation of this theory. It's the same with the "you can't have a main character wear a mask the whole movie, audiences wouldn't connect!" I have never seen it proven.

Dredd bombed. :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Dredd bombed. :smith:

That had little to do with him wearing a helmet and everything to do with the fact that the Stallone movie hosed the chances of Dredd doing well. I did not speak to a single person about that movie in real life who didn't bring up the lovely Stallone film. It just didn't have the marketing budget to overcome the damage that had been done to the brand. I mean, I didn't know anyone who thought it was a sequel or related to the first film, they just assumed Judge Dredd was naturally dumb because of the Stallone film. :smith: Of course, anyone I know who saw it liked it. It faced an uphill battle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

When Green Lantern came out, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

When Green Lantern came out, probably.

What did Green Lantern prove? His mask barely covered his face, and there was no other Green Lantern show or anything for people to confuse it with? Unless you mean people being confused by a white GL because they thought John Stewart from the cartoon was the only human GL. But that isn't really the kind of confusion we are talking about here, because that is a bit more legitimate, since it is two different characters who share the same superhero name, as opposed to two versions of the same person. And I feel like the only people who were confused were people who watched the cartoon and never read a single GL comic, played any game with him in it, or even watched the Superman cartoon that had Hal in it.