Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
I've been to two lux as gently caress weddings in the past few years.

One was my ex's brother: he got married at an event theatre in Toronto: open bar, five course gourmet meal for something around 150 people. Total cost, 65k.

The other was my buddy's. Destination wedding in New Orleans at the Ritz Carleton down there. 5 course meal, maybe 50 people this time, open bar (and its at the Ritz, remember). I don't know what the cost was but he said it was well north of 50k: and we got kicked out of the hotel because we were making too much noise and it was keeping Morgan Freeman awake.

Ex's brother: divorce was finalized two years to the day of the wedding. My buddy: separated five months after the wedding.

My parents: married at my dad's boss' house. Reception in the basement. Spent like 300 bucks. 37 years later they're still together. No idea what message this sends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Never marry someone who's impressed by ostentatious displays of wealth?

On the other hand, my girlfriend definitely wants her $10k+ wedding present - but because she's not an idiot, it's going to be in the form of a house downpayment and not a ring over $2k or so.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

olylifter posted:

One was my ex's brother: he got married at an event theatre in Toronto: open bar, five course gourmet meal for something around 150 people. Total cost, 65k.

The other was my buddy's. Destination wedding in New Orleans at the Ritz Carleton down there. 5 course meal, maybe 50 people this time, open bar (and its at the Ritz, remember). I don't know what the cost was but he said it was well north of 50k: and we got kicked out of the hotel because we were making too much noise and it was keeping Morgan Freeman awake.

Ex's brother: divorce was finalized two years to the day of the wedding. My buddy: separated five months after the wedding.

My parents: married at my dad's boss' house. Reception in the basement. Spent like 300 bucks. 37 years later they're still together. No idea what message this sends.

The message I take is that on a per capita basis, it would cost me a thousand dollars to make Morgan Freeman care about my life.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Antifreeze Head posted:

I see you have never had Chinese bai jiu before.

My Christmas holiday in China was pretty well centred around bai jiu. I still have a bit left over in a small bottle. Not rushing to drink it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

olylifter posted:

I hope your buddy got some sort of a refund from the hotel, because I feel like it's expected that a wedding reception would be loud.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

I hope your buddy got some sort of a refund from the hotel, because I feel like it's expected that a wedding reception would be loud.

I'm going to assume it was not the reception but the partying in the hotel rooms afterhours that got them kicked out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nocheez posted:

I'm going to assume it was not the reception but the partying in the hotel rooms afterhours that got them kicked out.

Ah, that would make more sense.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

olylifter posted:

we got kicked out of the hotel because we were making too much noise and it was keeping Morgan Freeman awake.

Is he America's new kindly black uncle, now that the old one turned out to be a predatory sleep-rapist? If not, I nominate him for the job.

Stop bothering my uncle. He needs his sleep (but no rape.)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Centripetal Horse posted:

Is he America's new kindly black uncle, now that the old one turned out to be a predatory sleep-rapist? If not, I nominate him for the job.

Stop bothering my uncle. He needs his sleep (but no rape.)

I doubt it because I think he's diddling his ex step-grand daughter.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

olylifter posted:

This is a joke to me because no one in New Orleans does 5 course weddings.

I had my wedding in New Orleans at an old plantation home for 100 people for less than 1/3 of that with a full bar and amazing food. The venue's owner was nice; threw in a classic car drive up and extra food since we didn't buy the up-sale. The car costs them literally nothing to throw in, but was still really nice of him.

Ritz is a classy place, mind you, and certainly their bartender was better, but christ.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 25, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I had a wedding for 500 people in an abandoned warehouse and we served thin potluck gruel and it cost $3000, $2500 of that was to pay the photographer which we would not cheap out on, no siree, because you get what you pay for and those cut-rate photographers are what is ruining the business. My first fiance broke up with me after I planned out this wedding; in retrospect she was not the kind of person easily impressed by superficial details like wallpaper, carpet, and permitted food preparation I would want to spend my life with. The bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts were very sensible pairs of shoes that everyone wears to this day and I think we can all agree that it was the most fun and happy wedding anyone has ever had.

After the ceremony we announced that we were contributing the $300 we would have blown on a frivolous honeymoon to our Roth IRAs instead. You should have seen the look on our Bad With Money Coworkers faces, probably thinking about eating dog food in retirement. They were all in the middle of divorces after spending $10,000+ on multiple weddings. Bad With Money. Then we went home and cooked a romantic newlyweds slow-cooker-dinner-and-lunch-for-the-next-10-days together. Hope you enjoyed my wedding story.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I had a wedding for 500 people in an abandoned warehouse and we served thin potluck gruel and it cost $3000, $2500 of that was to pay the photographer which we would not cheap out on, no siree, because you get what you pay for and those cut-rate photographers are what is ruining the business. My first fiance broke up with me after I planned out this wedding; in retrospect she was not the kind of person easily impressed by superficial details like wallpaper, carpet, and permitted food preparation I would want to spend my life with. The bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts were very sensible pairs of shoes that everyone wears to this day and I think we can all agree that it was the most fun and happy wedding anyone has ever had.

After the ceremony we announced that we were contributing the $300 we would have blown on a frivolous honeymoon to our Roth IRAs instead. You should have seen the look on our Bad With Money Coworkers faces, probably thinking about eating dog food in retirement. They were all in the middle of divorces after spending $10,000+ on multiple weddings. Bad With Money. Then we went home and cooked a romantic newlyweds slow-cooker-dinner-and-lunch-for-the-next-10-days together. Hope you enjoyed my wedding story.

I enjoyed the wedding story

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Should've held it in wooded park for free and had your guests forage for edible fare. Open bar = all the stream water you can drink!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Mr. Money Mustache stood in for the priest and we made our vows that we would be together, up markets or down. 401K match or no.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Today at work next to my pod I overheard "I need to take out a 401k loan" , but I didn't get the rest of the story because my gut told me to scream "WHAT" and that's exactly what I did.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Blinkman987 posted:

Mr. Money Mustache stood in for the priest and we made our vows that we would be together, up markets or down. 401K match or no.

I might've already mentioned it in the thread, but my friends asked me to officiate their wedding last summer, which they moved forward a couple months after they got surprise-pregnant (likely while celebrating their engagement). We held the ceremony for around a dozen close friends and family in the Texas state capitol building in a small room just off the rotunda FO' FREE, did some wedding photos in there and outside of the couple on the capitol grounds FO' FREE (I think it was a good friend doing the photos for basically no charge), I officiated FO' the cost of one dinner out while we were planning the ceremony, and the reception was that we all headed back to the couple's apartment and they had a cooler full of beer and barbecue from Whole Foods on the counter and sat around and talked for a couple hours.

They kept it low budget out of necessity given the sudden need to save for the baby, but I'm jealous of their frugal wedding. I know that if and when I eventually get married, I won't be able to keep it quite that low scale due to familial obligations of having at least some small number of people fly in from India and drive in from across the state. And dietary restrictions mean I'd have to be more varied in my offered food than most American families' weddings--although, if I could have it at my cousin's mansion not too far away, that would almost completely eliminate venue costs. Still, I imagine whomever I married would also be more interested in the "feed your family" route and less in the "feed all of the local wedding industry's participants' famillies" route that is officially Bad With Money.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts were very sensible pairs of shoes that everyone wears to this day

This is what I got for helping in my brother's wedding party, except the shoes were the ones we wore for the bridal party and are not sensible (patent leather or plastic? can't tell) and I haven't worn them in the 4 years since the wedding.

I suppose the next time I have to wear a tuxedo, I could wear those shoes.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

From my time in China, I was left with the understanding that it was more or less ok for the groom to drink water as he visits all the tables to basically prevent him dying of alcohol poisoning on the day of his wedding.

For those not acquainted with the taste of bai jiu, it is about what you would think a hobo's armpit would taste like if you licked it. Something magical happens once it hits your stomach though, and whenever you burp it tastes then of fruit and flowers.

I usually describe baijiu as rubbing alcohol mixed with kerosene.

My wife and I did the elopement thing partially because of time constraints as we needed to be married to get the ball rolling on my wife's green card and partially because my wife didn't want a wedding where she would be the only person there from her side. I originally wanted to do the tacky Vegas drive-through wedding with Elvis until I realized that Vegas was a surprisingly pricey destination. We ended up getting an elopement package at a B&B in the Texas Hill Country (pretty much every country B&B in Texas has elopement offerings), her dress was off-the-rack at BCBG Max Azria. We drove up Friday, came back married on Sunday and it was great. The B&B took care of everything, they fed us, took the pictures, baked a cake, did the ceremony, and there was also a couples massage included.

My parents ended up throwing a party when we came to visit over Thanksgiving, but it wasn't too over the top (private room at a local brewpub with passed appetizers and snacks and an open bar). When we went to visit my in-laws in China we had to attend a couple lunches for my wife's extended family, but fortunately she's a city girl so it was all one-child families.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Bad with money: the here is why MY wedding wasn't bad with money thread

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
This guy just bought a shitload of silver as an investment. Probably bad with money.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

overdesigned posted:

This guy just bought a shitload of silver as an investment. Probably bad with money.

I dunno, there's a graph and some implied thing that he "timed the market," which is a time-tested and true way to guarantee a return. Seems pretty smart.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Blinkman987 posted:

I dunno, there's a graph and some implied thing that he "timed the market," which is a time-tested and true way to guarantee a return. Seems pretty smart.

MS Paint ovals NEVER LIE.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

Literally using a log scale. If it wasn't silver I would have expected that chart to be bitcoin and goons mocking the idiot who made "chart".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Plus, physical silver has its own host of risks. My dad is a history nerd and he buys a few Roman silver coins on Veneralia each year. It's coming up and he just realized he has no clue where the box is.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Plus, physical silver has its own host of risks. My dad is a history nerd and he buys a few Roman silver coins on Veneralia each year. It's coming up and he just realized he has no clue where the box is.

Ironically, this is the reason that there are so many Roman coins still around. People buried them and then forgot where they were, or died without telling anyone else about their hoard.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I hate wedding chat, but I guess I'll contribute. My wife and I got married ON hollywood beach by an ordained guy that would do an atheist ceremony for $150. We flew out on points, my parents, my best man, and my wife's family also flew out on points. We stayed in a nice mariott on points and were upgraded to a nice suite for free because we were getting married. We rented the corolla on points and stayed in a best western in Key west for our honeymoon on points. Our reception (for 7 people) was at a local brazillian steakhouse and my parents paid, I think it was like $300. I think all told, the wedding stuff and the licensing right before hurricane faye hit florida was like $1k including getting there and back and the whole stay with rental car and honeymoon in key west.

I love that we both still have the clothes we got married in: shorts & t-shirt for her, shorts & polo for me. I wouldn't change who I married and how for anything. We've weathered some huge storms together because of both of us being pretty chill and generally not giving a gently caress about bridezilla poo poo and all the other behavior that comes with people like that.

I love my wife :allears:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

overdesigned posted:

Sappo569 posted:

I put a few hundred bucks into it :goonsay:

thank god

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I would like some advice: My garage door opener died yesterday. I did what I could to lubricate the motor bearings and the worm gear that runs the door back and forth, but it seems it munched a bearing in the motor.

Should I take the time and install a new one myself $228 +tax and the time installing it or call a recommended company to install the opener and make sure the door itself is in good condition? The maint. head in our shop said he has a friend that was paralyzed by a garage door spring, and I know they are super dangerous, and I suspect the door need needs tension adjustment, because it feels kinda heavy and it's probably what killed the opener.

So should I have a pro do this? I have a $1K emergency fund for poo poo exactly like this...

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Taco Box posted:

I would like some advice: My garage door opener died yesterday. I did what I could to lubricate the motor bearings and the worm gear that runs the door back and forth, but it seems it munched a bearing in the motor.

Should I take the time and install a new one myself $228 +tax and the time installing it or call a recommended company to install the opener and make sure the door itself is in good condition? The maint. head in our shop said he has a friend that was paralyzed by a garage door spring, and I know they are super dangerous, and I suspect the door need needs tension adjustment, because it feels kinda heavy and it's probably what killed the opener.

So should I have a pro do this? I have a $1K emergency fund for poo poo exactly like this...

Can it be manually opened? I too would take this from an emergency fund with like $10k+, but if your efund is only $1k this sounds less like an emergency than something else that could happen before you are able to replenish. A 10k efund can cover actual emergencies and additional inconveniences. I don't know though.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Welp I sure wouldn't risk being paralyzed for 700 bucks no siree!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BossRighteous posted:

Can it be manually opened? I too would take this from an emergency fund with like $10k+, but if your efund is only $1k this sounds less like an emergency than something else that could happen before you are able to replenish. A 10k efund can cover actual emergencies and additional inconveniences. I don't know though.

The garage door can't lock and it's a way into our home. Also I'll be getting a bonus at work tomorrow that likely will cover at least the opener itself. I have no idea if the visit from a pro would be a huge sum of money though

E: also I make nowhere near enough money to fund a $10K e-fund within a decade at least. I have some pretty big debts I'm actively paying down at "emergency mode" so pretty much every loose coin is going to debt. I don't want a busted opener to set me back on that.

e2: I don't know enough about how this poo poo works to really gently caress with it either. I could just install the opener and the door tension could kill it and force me to have to replace that one too. I've watched a pro do it, and I still don't know if I could manage it.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 26, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The last time my garage door stopped working a guy came out and adjusted it for $100 or so. I would pay first since you don't even know if DIY is going to fix the problem and as you said it's a way into your home that you cannot secure.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Pay a guy. This doesn't sound like an oil change level run of her mill maintenance issue, get it done by a pro, you'll have a warranty and they'll probably get it right the first time,

Remember, your time has value and there's a lot of failure modes for a garage door that are way more expensive than paying someone to fix it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Taco Box posted:

The garage door can't lock and it's a way into our home. Also I'll be getting a bonus at work tomorrow that likely will cover at least the opener itself. I have no idea if the visit from a pro would be a huge sum of money though

Makes sense. I wasn't trying to tell you not to pay a guy to fix it, but for instance we have a driveway and a front door and didn't have a compelling reason to fix ours when it died last year.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Most garage doors have a manual lock, it's like a big steel bar on the door that slides into a big steel opening on the side.

I guess when I say "most" I mean "most that I've seen." I haven't studied many garage door designs, to be honest. But its something worth looking for.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Most garage doors have a manual lock, it's like a big steel bar on the door that slides into a big steel opening on the side.

I guess when I say "most" I mean "most that I've seen." I haven't studied many garage door designs, to be honest. But its something worth looking for.

You can lock it down by putting a clamp on the track above one of the wheels if nothing else. Awesome now it's home repair chat.

Also, can someone else post another 'I got married for so cheap and look how awesome my marriage is' story so I can drill a quarter inch hole in my forehead please?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm extremely handy, and my dad has always lead me in the right direction. I called him about my stuck opener with a broken spring, and he said "call the professionals."

It was $120 for new springs and the service call. Worth every single penny, and they had it done the same day I called.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yeah I don't think garage door openers are that much extra to install on top of the cost of parts, you are talking like $100-$200 extra.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

Today at work next to my pod I overheard "I need to take out a 401k loan" , but I didn't get the rest of the story because my gut told me to scream "WHAT" and that's exactly what I did.
LOL! Finally, a story about bad with money. It feels like its been pages... CURB THE drat WEDDING CHAT, GOONS.

Taco Box posted:

Lucky you, there is a whole thread dedicated to this type of question! And it has great goons in it! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Stories!

quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2zssgc/my_mom_may_have_screwed_me_out_of_my_settlement/

Hey guys,
I'm a 22 year old and when I was about 15 I received a lawsuit settlement for roughly 100k after lawyer and insurance fees.
I've never spent any of it with plans on paying for my school then investing it for my future. But I had plans on receiving it this past December.
But my mom, who managed everything for me since I was 15 at the time, said it was sent to the wrong address and has been deposited/cashed already by someone at the wrong address. And now she says a claim is open and they're investigating it.
The reason I don't believe my mom is my aunt was scammed by an online dating scam and then lied to my mom to get more money to send to him, but my mom claims she didn't touch my settlement fund.
She said she invested it through tiaacref. Should I believe it was sent to the wrong address and then deposited by the wrong people?
Tldr; my mom was previously duped by a family member, claims she didn't touch my settlement, now my settlement is gone.

quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/309qx2/update_my_mom_may_have_screwed_me_out_of_my/

So I asked my mom for the claim number and login information. She claimed she was using Tiaacref and this the response I got.
"Unfortunately, there is not a claim number and the account is closed because the check was mailed and cashed. To make matters worse, the person I was speaking with is no longer there. Don’t worry yet. I made contact with an attorney out there to see if there is anything we can do. Because it was an investment firm, they are not covered by FDIC insurance. I will let you know when I hear back from the attorney."
How the gently caress do I confront her about this?
Thanks guys
Bad with homebuying! http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/30az3l/us_wife_and_i_are_looking_to_purchase_our_first/

quote:

Like the title says... My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home. Rent in this town is around $1000 for a crappy 3 bedroom house while house payments run much lower according to everyone I've talked to, and after running those mortgage calculators ( don't know how accurate they are) I tend to agree.
So what are some resources for us to utilize and what are some things to read up on so that we are more knowledgeable when we go in to get pre-approved.
A little info- Both are 27 years old. I am just about to start Grad school and my wife is a student who stays at home to take care of our two kids. Our credit has had some issues in the past but will be off our credit report by the end of the year ( it happened almost 7 years ago. No Credit cards or account except student loans. I make around 1800-2000 a month as a bartender and have had a steady job for over 2 years. Never have missed a rent payment.

quote:

According to Credit Karma my score is 615. Not very good. But should be going up with the derogatory mark that will come off this year. I have been told that your score will not go up very fast if you don't have any revolving accounts.
Other than student loans... One medical bill for 550 that will be paid off soon.
Prices range from 120,000 for a 1000 sqft. 3 bed with a decent size yard and usually 1 or 2 storage buildings all the way to several that are 500,000.
A small down payment because we are throwing away money into rent every month.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Taco Box posted:

e2: I don't know enough about how this poo poo works to really gently caress with it either. I could just install the opener and the door tension could kill it and force me to have to replace that one too. I've watched a pro do it, and I still don't know if I could manage it.

In order to avoid paying for a 2nd service call, buy another opener of comparable power and design and leave it unopened. When the repair guy comes out, let him determine if it's something he can fix, or if it needs replacement (whether it's too difficult or expensive to fix). If it needs replacement, hand him the unopened box to replace it. If he can fix what's there at a reasonable price, return the one you just bought.

• Locked thread