Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Anecdotal but I saw a 3 bedroom apartment for sale for $400k here the other day.

Haven't seen anything 3 bed under 500k since I moved here 18 months ago.

it could also be someone trying to sell a shittier apartment than others!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 26, 2015

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

If it's like that then the dollar probably will fall until it does make sense to build poo poo here. That's the point of having a freely convertible currency. Look at the resurgence of manufacturing that's happening in Britain with the collapse of the GBP - the UK recently overtook France in terms of total cars made, and soon-to-be resurgence in Germany with the Euro falling.

Thats actually rear end backwards. A free floating currency allows the country with the cheapest cost base to attract foreign capital best. Capital is attracted to the cash based rate of return, found in your Sov. interest rates. So if you kill your federal funds rate, which the Bank of Canada pegs every few months to great fanfare, then your dollar depreciates in relation to all currencies; unless the currency is backed by a floor peg or intrinsic valuation (gold standard, nukes.... brony nerd tax revenues ?).

The resurgence of the the UK following the exit of the UK from the first EU was due to tax pressures. Their resurgence of manufacturing was more a byproduct of union breaking & the reworking of national corporations/spinoffs from the govt. than any single dollar indexed debasement. While car sales are a great stat for day trading the aggregate volume of car/plane/fixed capital manufactured in the UK as a percentile of all industrial output is loving way down from pre-war 1960 and nowhere even close to 1995. Given the BoE's tight policy compared to China and USA, its a moot point.

However it will be nearly impossible for people to return heavy industry and blue collar jobs to Canada. This article sums it up pretty well:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21646204-asias-dominance-manufacturing-will-endure-will-make-development-harder-others-made

If anything, the outlook for Canadian non-energy market is about 2x worse as of Monday than it was at any point post-Chretien, with the main burden resting on the ineffective and horrible Ontario & Quebec job incentives for new economy onshoring. I think Canadian Solar has a huge writeup on this, but its not at my fingertips right now to repost.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sassafras posted:

You have your choice of several 3br apartments within a couple blocks of Gateway skytrain station in Surrey for between 205 and 275k. How much of a premium does downtown deserve?

I live in Whistler

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Hal_2005 posted:

The resurgence of the the UK following the exit of the UK from the first EU was due to tax pressures. Their resurgence of manufacturing was more a byproduct of union breaking & the reworking of national corporations/spinoffs from the govt. than any single dollar indexed debasement.
Also why 9 of the top 10 poverty areas of Northern Europe are in the UK.

At least London is doing well. *burns a car*

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 26, 2015

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

Also why 9 of the top 10 poverty areas of Northern Europe are in the UK.

At least London is doing well. *burns a car*

For once, we can agree on something together. End of times must be happening soon, I'll go buy a goldbar and a bunker tomorrow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

There's jobs in Victoria, just not jobs that really excuse the home prices here.

Here's a rough survey of the jobs of all my friends:
I make fire safety plans and maps, mostly for new construction but I think I'd be ok if construction stopped in town, more than enough existing buildings needing them.
Insurance Underwriter x1
Retail/Musician x2
Retail slave x2
Website builder x2
Government Worker x1
Hospital Staff x3
Occupational Therapist x2
Physio Therapist x2
Care home worker x1
Marine Construction x1
BC Ferries x1
Welfare Denier x1
Climate Science x1
Writes big long reports about how LNG pipelines are good on behalf of a pipeline company x1
Construction/Trades x2
Librarian x1
Teacher x1
Making incredibly popular "nerd comedy" videos that for the most part aren't my cup of tea x3
Brewer x1
Right/Libertarian pro-development forum owner and skyscraper poster printer x2

I figure this is a pretty good cross-section of the jobs in victoria for people in the 20-40 year old range. Although only one person is directly a "government worker" a big chunk work for the public sector in some way, be it at a hospital, or a private business that still gets most of its money via the government/medical premiums. There are basically no private sector "careers" here. The only "careers" are in government and you're in competition with a huge chunk of the province or country who want to move here. That said, a lot of the jobs (vs careers) are just fine and you can live off of them. If you're fine earning 15-25 an hour for the rest of your life it's a fine place. And other than the couple people I know involved in construction most of those people would be ok after a housing crash. NONE of them own a house/condo or even really want to. Everyone I know either rents a standard Victoria 1970's 4 story wood frame apartment or rents a house/part of a house farther out of town. Yet half the friends who have moved to Vancouver now own a condo or something.

\/ I'd call about 75% of the people on this list acquaintances. But born and raised here and a large chunk of the people I know were too. Victoria is really a town where everyone knows everyone and if you don't it's hard to get a job.

At one point I wanted to move to the island, and would've had to live in Victoria, however job prospects in the tech sector are what solidified my position it was not feasible. Moving to BC to live in Vancity to work tech? I'd rather tough out the cold of Ontario and (eventually) own a modest house in my lifetime. Just my own anecdotal findings of Victoria. At least its a beautiful city in the summer, but then again the whole island is.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just wanted to let you guys know that oil prices are gonna be hilarious if obummer reaches a deal with Iran. gently caress you Alberta

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that oil prices are gonna be hilarious if obummer reaches a deal with Iran. gently caress you Alberta

They may also spike depending on how mad the Saudi's get at Iran for meddling in Yemen. It's a touchy situation right now.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

jm20 posted:

They may also spike depending on how mad the Saudi's get at Iran for meddling in Yemen. It's a touchy situation right now.

The exogenous risk to oil from an Iranian fracas of some kind are both more likely and more scary than the batch of risks that come from Saudi petulance. Unless the Saudis want to piss directly into America's cornflakes (which is possible, but unlikely), I imagine any dust-up over Yemen would be a blip compared to the relief the world markets would feel over not having to calculate the nonzero percent chance of a full closure of the Straights of Hormuz.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Yes and no CI. Right now a nice chunk of Iran's production still gets exported, so its already in the world price. But the problem for Iran is that while it has a large amount of shut in production and huge reserves, Iran needs very large amounts of capital to bring it back online and back producing efficiently. By large I mean that Iran needs something in the order of a quarter trillion dollars to bring its full production online again. Iran has been unable to invest in their oilfields and repair and upgrade systems for nearly a decade now. Oil is extremely capital intensive because stuff wears out so fast. They haven't been able to replace it and large chunks of their energy infrastructure is really run down. They can get that money from China when they need it, but they're going to have to get it in either the form of joint project ownership deals with Chinese companies, or by allowing Chinese companies to develop fields directly. That's going to be a hard sell in Iran. They're also probably not going to be able to just borrow the money, China is the only country that has that kind of money to invest and they're going to be worried about loaning Iran money directly, especially when by doing so it will undercut the price of the very commodity that Iran sells to pay back the loan. And finally, a large number of the sanctions that restrict Iranian market access are not related to their nuclear programme, they're related to their sponsorship of Hamas and so forth. They're congressional sanctions that Obama will not be able to lift, no matter what deal he reaches with Iran.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cool thanks for the insight gorau

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Financial Post posted:

“For our parents, it was normal to take out a $200,000 to $300,000 mortgage, whereas now first-time home-buyers regularly borrow $700,000 to $800,000,” says Brandon Wasser, a 29-year-old agent with Royal LePage in Toronto.
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/25/seven-mistakes-millennials-make-when-buying-real-estate/

:psyduck:
It's like real estate agents live in some horrifying parallel universe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress no it wasn't. My parents took out a 100k mortgage and back then in the mid 80's that was like huge and insane and all their friends were worried they were going into such extreme house-debt. That was to buy a huge house in one of the most expensive parts of town too. Prices were not much different in Toronto back there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Millenials paying 4 to 5000 a month in debt service. Yeah let's normalise that behaviour. Don't rich hate right motherfuckers?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Millenials paying 4 to 5000 a month in debt service. Yeah let's normalise that behaviour. Don't rich hate right motherfuckers?

No, that sort of rich hate is justified. But, on the other hand, it's obviously not rich hate, because rich people have money instead of massive piles of debt!

I'm okay with hating people who put themselves into huge amounts of debt over non-essential things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's clear that the average person can't really understand or handle debt/finances. There should be regulations/limits in place that make it impossible to actually get that much debt.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Average Vancouver house prices of $2 million foreseen in Vancity report

If housing prices continue to rise unchecked in Vancouver, the average detached home will cost more than $2.1 million by 2030 and require more than 100 per cent of the median household income to maintain, according to a new report from Vancity.

The report, Downsizing the Canadian Dream: Homeownership Realities for Millennials and Beyond, released today , found only Maple Ridge, New Westminster, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam and Langley are now classified as "affordable," which means that housing costs don't exceed 32 per cent of a homeowners' gross monthly income.

"The dream of a family home is not dead, but does need an update for a new generation," said Ryan McKinley, Vancity's mortgage development manager. "We're going to need to ... live in closer and more interdependent ways ... to find an affordable and more sustainable lifestyle."

The report makes a number of recommendations for policy changes by municipal governments that could stop the trend, such as changes to zoning that would increase density, maximizing incentives for developers to build affordable workforce housing, and designing growth centres with dense cores tied to mass transit.

Vancouver's chief housing officer Mukhtar Latif said the city is already working on all of those ideas, including its new Affordable Housing Agency, which plans to build more than 1,000 units over the next four years on city-owned land that will be mainly rentals for people with low to moderate incomes, up to $86,000 per year.

He said the Rental 100 program gives incentives to developers to build more rental housing, and that new community plans in Marpole and the Downtown Eastside increase density.

"We are looking at initiatives all the time about how we can create supply and we are implementing many of those recommendations already," Latif said. "We are working with the region, through the Regional Housing Strategy, and the other municipalities have recognized the need to keep supply up."

The report also makes recommendations for provincial and federal governments, such as giving better property tax incentives for affordable housing, requiring permanent affordable housing zones that would be similar to the Agricultural Land Reserve, dedicating a portion of the property transfer tax to support affordable rental and home ownership options, and offering tax credits for affordable housing or accelerated depreciation of rental buildings.

Architect and real estate consultant Michael Geller said he agrees with all of those suggestions, except the notion of a permanent affordable housing zone.

"I strongly disagree with this idea, which I find horrifying. The fact is, for decades we have been trying to create neighbourhoods with a broad social and economic mix," Geller said.

"While some neighbourhoods will always be poorer or wealthier than others, they change over time.

"We can see this on the east side of Vancouver and elsewhere around the region."

Andy Yan, a planner with Bing Thom Architects and an adjunct professor of planning at the University of B.C., said he gives kudos to Vancity for researching the issue. "They are a locally headquartered financial institution and this gives them a unique insight into Vancouver real estate," Yan said, adding that the recommendations are interesting and should spark a conversation that could lead to informed, considered decisions on how to make housing more affordable in Vancouver.

Financial institutions could also act to slow rising prices by stabilizing interest rates, including rent from roommates or renting out a room into mortgage approval calculations, and creating access to down payment loans, the report recommends.

On the bright side, while single-family homes are becoming further and further out of reach for average families, many condominiums are still affordable, particularly outside of Vancouver.

The city is a very desirable place to live and ranks very high on livability surveys, which is at least part of the reason for its high housing prices, the Vancity report says. Wages, however, are not keeping pace, the report adds.

The average property in Metro now requires more than 48 per cent of the median household monthly income to buy, while the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. recommends a debt-load of no higher than 32 per cent of income. In the past 15 years, the percentage of income required to maintain a home in Vancouver has risen to almost 76 per cent from a low of 42 per cent in 2002, the report found.

If trends are not reversed through a combination of public policy and changes in financial practices, even homes in the suburbs will become increasingly out of reach for people earning the median income, the report projects.

If price trends continue, by 2030 Langley will be the only affordable community still below the 32 per cent threshold, the report says.

The report assumes a rise in income of 2.5 per cent a year, and used historical average price growth by community.

Untenable solutions to housing affordability: higher LTV ratios, eliminating cmhc insurance for housing, increasing the overnight lending rate.

Lol leave it to a loving Vancouver bank to tell us that housing affordability can only be solved by supply side economics.

Also, 2.1 million dollar homes are the new norm so buy now before being priced out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's clear that the average person can't really understand or handle debt/finances. There should be regulations/limits in place that make it impossible to actually get that much debt.

Why? If we didn't have poo poo like the CMHC backstopping lovely lending practices, we wouldn't need these regulations in the first place, because banks wouldn't lend to people who can't afford it.

More to the point, I've never understood the leftist viewpoint of trying to forbid people from making lovely decisions. Let people be as stupid as they want! The problem is the taxpayer is going to be on the hook via the CMHC for a lot of this, not that a bunch of people are going to be hosed and bankrupt.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Most hilarious financial product innovation spawned by this housing boom: the down payment loan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

Why? If we didn't have poo poo like the CMHC backstopping lovely lending practices, we wouldn't need these regulations in the first place, because banks wouldn't lend to people who can't afford it.

More to the point, I've never understood the leftist viewpoint of trying to forbid people from making lovely decisions. Let people be as stupid as they want! The problem is the taxpayer is going to be on the hook via the CMHC for a lot of this, not that a bunch of people are going to be hosed and bankrupt.

People aren't islands and we actually live in a society. If a bunch of people in the society I'm part of are in crippling debt it hurts me as a member of that society and hurts the economy I'm part of. The same as if they don't get their education, or healthcare, or there aren't safety regulations protecting them. Each citizen is an investment made by society and that investment needs to be both nurtured and protected. Galt's gultch doesn't work because people can't be perfectly informed, no one has time to personally test every piece of food or medicine or crash test their own car. In the same way most people are not at all informed enough to weigh the risk of extreme debt. Crippling debt should not be available. Obviously people can still have debt, but not insane crippling debt with CMHC blessing. I can't go out and get a dangerous mix of prescription medication, I can't go out and buy a ton of raw milk, I can't design and build my own car and go drive it on public roads without any sort of inspection, there's tons of things I can't do, both for my own good and society's good.

I agree about getting rid of the CMHC or vastly reducing its scope though, as it not only hurts society by allowing people to get into unsustainable debt, but it forces the rest of us to pay for it. I love the government subsidizing things, but only things that are proven good investments.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

People aren't islands and we actually live in a society. If a bunch of people in the society I'm part of are in crippling debt it hurts me as a member of that society and hurts the economy I'm part of. The same as if they don't get their education, or healthcare, or there aren't safety regulations protecting them. Each citizen is an investment made by society and that investment needs to be both nurtured and protected. Galt's gultch doesn't work because people can't be perfectly informed, no one has time to personally test every piece of food or medicine or crash test their own car. In the same way most people are not at all informed enough to weigh the risk of extreme debt. Crippling debt should not be available. Obviously people can still have debt, but not insane crippling debt with CMHC blessing. I can't go out and get a dangerous mix of prescription medication, I can't go out and buy a ton of raw milk, I can't design and build my own car and go drive it on public roads without any sort of inspection, there's tons of things I can't do, both for my own good and society's good.

I agree about getting rid of the CMHC or vastly reducing its scope though, as it not only hurts society by allowing people to get into unsustainable debt, but it forces the rest of us to pay for it. I love the government subsidizing things, but only things that are proven good investments.

Good loving post.

Edit: I sure do swear a lot since I started working for a union!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

That's a nice clear and concise post in response to PT6A's very Libertarian-smelling post :hfive:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow never in my life have I been more disgusted to have been raised in Vancouver, and have to identify myself as member of this poo poo house society

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

More to the point, I've never understood the leftist viewpoint of trying to forbid people from making lovely decisions. Let people be as stupid as they want!
The rightist viewpoint of letting people "make lovely decisions" is very easy to understand. Debt happens to be extremely profitable for some of the wealthiest and most powerful entities, and the cost and responsibility of dealing with their victims after the fact falls on the society at large.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 25, 2015

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress no it wasn't. My parents took out a 100k mortgage and back then in the mid 80's that was like huge and insane and all their friends were worried they were going into such extreme house-debt. That was to buy a huge house in one of the most expensive parts of town too. Prices were not much different in Toronto back there.

My parents bought a house for $180K in 1991, their mortgage was about three times their annual combined wages, it wasn't considered too risky back then. Or at least, it wasn't considered risky in their circles; they ended up paying it off in about 15 years or so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

3x your yearly income for a house doesn't sound too bad. That means I could get about a 200k mortgage safely, which means a really poo poo low-end condo. Way back when I was doing my potential condo math it came out to about 200k on the super conservative end so that seems reasonable. The problem is that people are getting mortgages for like 5x or higher their yearly income. Single person working a 50k job in Vancouver? Yeah buy that 300k condo.

A huge problem is the mindset that the price will go up, they are banking on it, their entire finances depend on the value going up at a rate that they make a good profit. If people weren't so greedy and deluded into thinking buying a condo was an amazing investment we wouldn't see half the idiocy. That's what gets me and brings me back to regulations. If I was buying an actual investment and the INVESTOR(tm) went on and on about how that fund will totally be worth double in a decade and he's so sure he's re-mortgaged his 2nd investment condo to pay for deposit on his downpayment loan for his 3rd condo, he'd actually face some poo poo. Some dude selling 5,000k of lovely mutual funds needs a ton of licenses and oversight, yet someone selling you a 500k "investment" has less oversight or regulations than a lovely used car salesman and can make insane wild promises or "predictions" or outright lie about the market.

This is why I don't buy into the whole libertarian "let idiots gently caress them selves not my problem" line of thinking. People don't have access to perfect information, and for poo poo like mortgages it's apparently super easy into misleading people. You have to play on their greed and class-consciousness of course, but you're still basically misleading them and in many cases outright lying to them. I also don't buy into that line of thinking because I live here and I rather have a functioning society and economy than the joy of watching greedy ignorants gently caress them selves and "get theirs". I rather a benevolent state swoop in and save them from them selves. Realtors can totally "get theirs" though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

That's a nice clear and concise post in response to PT6A's very Libertarian-smelling post :hfive:

I don't see how allowing people to make dumbass decisions is "Libertarian." If we literally allow people to buy enough rope to hang themselves, why not allow it metaphorically? The only issue is that the government, and thus taxpayers, are currently backstopping the debt. If this were not the case, society would function just fine. Some people would go bankrupt, banks would stop making lovely loans, and with a functioning social safety net, the bankrupt people wouldn't be outright destitute anyway.

I disagree with allowing payday loans unrestricted because they do prey on the uninformed and desperate. This is emphatically not the case with huge mortgages -- these are people who should know better, and do know better, so I don't really give a gently caress if they lose their rear end. I don't understand why I should have empathy towards people whose willful ignorance leads them into bad situations. I have empathy for people who've been hosed around by circumstances outside of their control, not people who actively hosed themselves.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The more people borrow for a house now, the cheaper they're going to be when the bubble busts. :getin:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

I don't see how allowing people to make dumbass decisions is "Libertarian." If we literally allow people to buy enough rope to hang themselves, why not allow it metaphorically?
Because they are not actually dead, they are just poor and in debt and using food banks and welfare and receiving care for health problems brought on by extreme stress. Maybe they have kids, who now get to grow up in that lovely environment through no fault of their own. Who do you think pays for all that? Clearly there's greater utility in not allowing the situation to happen in the first place. Your position is simply social Darwinism justified by your own personal feelings.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 26, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Because they are not actually dead, they are just poor and in debt and using food banks and welfare and receiving care for health problems brought on by extreme stress. Maybe they have kids, who now get to grow up in that environment. Who do you think pays for all that? Clearly there's greater utility in not allowing the situation to happen in the first place. Your position is simply social Darwinism justified by your own personal feelings.

It's not social Darwinism, because I believe we should maintain a strong social safety net to eliminate the possibility that people are food- or housing-insecure, and I'm in favour of a GMI. Allowing delinquent borrowers to discharge all debts through bankruptcy should teach lenders not to be reckless, and give people who've seriously hosed themselves a way out -- I'm not advocating for some sort of debtor's prison. Further, under a reasonable tax structure, the money that they lose for being retarded as all gently caress with their money gets taxed as someone else's income, so we are directly seeing some of that money being transferred back into public hands.

If someone wants to fritter away their money on magic beans, or whatever else, that's their business. We need to address poverty in such a way that no one, regardless of circumstances, suffers food insecurity or housing insecurity. What we certainly do not need is some kind of restrictive system, which is almost certainly going to be imperfect, to keep people from going into debt for non-essential things. If someone wants to spend $500/month carrying credit card debt because they figured they really, really needed that luxury vacation, I don't give a gently caress. I don't think we need to help them, and I don't think we need to stop them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

It's not social Darwinism, because I believe we should maintain a strong social safety net to eliminate the possibility that people are food- or housing-insecure, and I'm in favour of a GMI. Allowing delinquent borrowers to discharge all debts through bankruptcy should teach lenders not to be reckless, and give people who've seriously hosed themselves a way out -- I'm not advocating for some sort of debtor's prison. Further, under a reasonable tax structure, the money that they lose for being retarded as all gently caress with their money gets taxed as someone else's income, so we are directly seeing some of that money being transferred back into public hands.

If someone wants to fritter away their money on magic beans, or whatever else, that's their business. We need to address poverty in such a way that no one, regardless of circumstances, suffers food insecurity or housing insecurity. What we certainly do not need is some kind of restrictive system, which is almost certainly going to be imperfect, to keep people from going into debt for non-essential things. If someone wants to spend $500/month carrying credit card debt because they figured they really, really needed that luxury vacation, I don't give a gently caress. I don't think we need to help them, and I don't think we need to stop them.

that depends, I think, on how many resources we have to expend on both the people in need and the system itself. Provided that that amount is limited - and it almost certainly is - then unless both systems fall under that limit (and given the scope of poverty they almost certainly don't) it's possible that a system of restrictions would, while costing more up front, save more in the long term by reducing poverty overall. Of course that's all hypothetical of me and given the inefficiencies that can crop up in public-sector stuff, it could certainly be cheaper to let the system be and continue treating symptoms rather than causes, but I somehow don't think that's a cure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Another issue is: what limits would you actually impose on how much debt someone can take on, how would you decide those limits, and how could you deal efficiently with changing circumstances? Having $80k of mortgage debt is far different from having the same amount on a car loan, which is different again from having that same amount in credit card debt. Would you then divide this up and have separate caps on each type of debt? Someone with no mortgage debt could reasonably afford to have more consumer debt, though. Would you base it on monthly payments to income? How would you measure income, and how would you account for a person's savings and/or changes in income?

A system based on legal restrictions on how much money can be lent to someone seems fraught with problems, whereas the solution of "lenders can go get hosed if they make bad loans and the borrower defaults or declares bankruptcy" is amazing in its simplicity. If banks were fully on the hook for every penny they loaned out, they'd be tighter than a nun's oval office, I promise.

On the other hand, you still have the issue of lenders who are out to make money not off interest alone, but off the default (and subsequent seizure of collateral). I don't know how you can deal with that, because it basically comes down to people walking up to lenders with their pants down and asking to be hosed. Financial literacy classes so people can recognize when loans are going to be impossible to pay back? I don't know.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Just get rid of the CHMC - problem solved. Although the Canadian economy would nose dive without underwritten FIRE as a result.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

If someone wants to fritter away their money on magic beans, or whatever else, that's their business.
If you wouldn't let your mother fritter away her money on magic beans, why would you let anyone else do it?

I mean yeah utopian communitarianism is a ridiculous concept but I also think a disregard for the well-being of people outside your social circle is something that should be discouraged. If someone wants to fritter away their money on magic beans, someone should have the foresight to sit them down and explain why it's a terrible idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Just get rid of the CHMC - problem solved. Although the Canadian economy would nose dive without underwritten FIRE as a result.

I'd just progressively lower the maximum insurable amount over a certain number of years to a reasonable amount (probably 200-300k), increase the minimum down payment to 20%, and require that the down payment not be paid by another loan. It wouldn't collapse quickly, at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

unlimited shrimp posted:

If you wouldn't let your mother fritter away her money on magic beans, why would you let anyone else do it?

I mean yeah utopian communitarianism is a ridiculous concept but I also think a disregard for the well-being of people outside your social circle is something that should be discouraged. If someone wants to fritter away their money on magic beans, someone should have the foresight to sit them down and explain why it's a terrible idea.

I would let my mother do that (she wouldn't, because she's not a moron). If I suspected she were planning to do that, I would counsel her against it, as I would counsel any person against taking on large amounts of consumer debt, but in the end it is neither my choice nor the government's choice to make.

I'm absolutely in favour of educating people on why they shouldn't carry large amounts of consumer debt, but at a certain point, you have to realize that you just can't fix someone who's dead set on spending money like a drunken sailor. One of my best friends does this, and it's not because he's a moron, or he couldn't afford a comfortable life without going into debt -- it's because he wants more house, nicer wine, better art, more meals at expensive restaurants, longer vacations with nicer hotel rooms, and so forth. Laws can't fix that impulse, and frankly it would be stupid and probably counter-productive to try.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PT6A posted:

I'd just progressively lower the maximum insurable amount over a certain number of years to a reasonable amount (probably 200-300k), increase the minimum down payment to 20%, and require that the down payment not be paid by another loan. It wouldn't collapse quickly, at least.

Bullshit. As soon as people realized their magic money printing structures don't actually do that because of these changes, they would see no reason to keep throwing 50%+ of their income in to them and prices would collapse right quickly. Bubbles are a result of herd behavior of a sort and so are collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

There's literally never been a case of a "soft landing" (the name of the concept you're describing) in recorded history. Economical bubbles are bubbles specifically because they are driven by everyone joining in on the craze and as such they burst spectacularly.