Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Found my Giant Robo discs, and wow I had forgotten the really goofy hat the BF guys wear. How do they see out of those things?

EDIT: Okay the goofy hoods being worn by the guys once the action starts, while I can tell how they can see out of them, are even goofier

Zereth fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Captain Invictus posted:

The Super Best Friends have been doing a two-week special called Mecha Week, the first week was Real Robots with stuff like Steel Battalion and Front Mission, and this current week has been Super Robots. So far most of it has been the resident "expert" on mecha series, Woolie, trying to teach Liam and Pat about super robot history, yesterday was a Mazinger Z vertical shooter playthrough while he spit game about the history of super robots, and today was a supercut of a 40-hour playthrough of SRW Z3 Woolie did just for this video. It's pretty much just attack cutscenes, but it's interesting to see some of the reactions to certain mecha from someone who's fairly ignorant to them(in particular Big O's design). Unfortunately Pat and Liam are not a fan of the chibi style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWTpXP8h2M&hd=1

Also, the intro is a pretty amazing sendup to both SRW and injokes. :allears:

Dai-Guard is decades away from Gurren Lagann and Dragon's Hive is from one of those really old shows. NGE is the anti-homage.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I forget who said how much they loved the final charge in Giant Robo, but I think I've watched that over a dozen times in the last week or so. Its so loving good.:respek:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Broniki posted:

Dai-Guard is decades away from Gurren Lagann and Dragon's Hive is from one of those really old shows. NGE is the anti-homage.
I don't even know what dragons hive is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the battleship from dancouga nova

its pilots are blackhaired sephiroth, a computer chip, and your uncle gary

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Dancouga Nova finished airing only a couple of months after Gurren Lagann started. Weird.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

The Super Best Friends have been doing a two-week special called Mecha Week, the first week was Real Robots with stuff like Steel Battalion and Front Mission, and this current week has been Super Robots. So far most of it has been the resident "expert" on mecha series, Woolie, trying to teach Liam and Pat about super robot history, yesterday was a Mazinger Z vertical shooter playthrough while he spit game about the history of super robots, and today was a supercut of a 40-hour playthrough of SRW Z3 Woolie did just for this video. It's pretty much just attack cutscenes, but it's interesting to see some of the reactions to certain mecha from someone who's fairly ignorant to them(in particular Big O's design). Unfortunately Pat and Liam are not a fan of the chibi style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWTpXP8h2M&hd=1

Also, the intro is a pretty amazing sendup to both SRW and injokes. :allears:

woolie continues to demonstrate why he is the loving best.

Also I get why Pat and Liam may not like the chibi style, it took me a while to get to like it.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Artum posted:

Dancouga Nova finished airing only a couple of months after Gurren Lagann started. Weird.

I mean, the robot looks a lot like the original Dancouga. But just looking at the portraits they are obviously from a contemporary show. They had them both in the same game. You could see the generational gap between Aoi and Shinobu.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Artum posted:

I forget who said how much they loved the final charge in Giant Robo, but I think I've watched that over a dozen times in the last week or so. Its so loving good.:respek:
That was me, and it never fails to give me goosebumps. It's so goddamn triumphant.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Broniki posted:

I mean, the robot looks a lot like the original Dancouga. But just looking at the portraits they are obviously from a contemporary show. They had them both in the same game. You could see the generational gap between Aoi and Shinobu.

Its more that the animation style and the shading, colours and so on remind me more of early 2000s mecha.

Zero_Tactility posted:

That was me, and it never fails to give me goosebumps. It's so goddamn triumphant.

The drums and the horns kicking in as Kaei gets started always does it for me. Guh, the whole sequence is so damned fantastic.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Artum posted:

Its more that the animation style and the shading, colours and so on remind me more of early 2000s mecha.

The drums and the horns kicking in as Kaei gets started always does it for me. Guh, the whole sequence is so damned fantastic.

I wouldn't blame you for thinking it's an early 2000s anime instead of late 2000s. But if you take a look at Dancouga Nova and Dai Guard and the portraits of the characters and think "hmm yes, these are clearly from the era of toei and tatsunoko's super robots, true classics of the 70s" then I don't know what to say really. Like I won't bust Woolie's rear end for mixing up Trider and Raideen, that's a perfectly reasonable and easy mistake to make, but I don't get why he's trying to be so informative when he doesn't seem to know anything about mecha outside of watching Gurren Lagann.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah but on the other hand, he's lovin it. He just loves robots and that makes him one of us

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Anybody having a slight interest in giant robots at all is rare enough as is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Da-Garn episode 14, lol wtf is Pink wearing for their date?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Broniki posted:

I wouldn't blame you for thinking it's an early 2000s anime instead of late 2000s. But if you take a look at Dancouga Nova and Dai Guard and the portraits of the characters and think "hmm yes, these are clearly from the era of toei and tatsunoko's super robots, true classics of the 70s" then I don't know what to say really. Like I won't bust Woolie's rear end for mixing up Trider and Raideen, that's a perfectly reasonable and easy mistake to make, but I don't get why he's trying to be so informative when he doesn't seem to know anything about mecha outside of watching Gurren Lagann.

Oh I'm not defending people getting eras wrong I just found it jarring that that sort of mecha was still being made when GL came out, what with it being pretty much gone now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broniki posted:

he was talking about how 70s the mech design is, how it's just shamelessly a toy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh poo poo Laserbeak just turned up then transformed into Ravage? :confused:

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Artum posted:

Oh I'm not defending people getting eras wrong I just found it jarring that that sort of mecha was still being made when GL came out, what with it being pretty much gone now.

There were a lot of super robot shows in the 2000s. 2007 had the Jeeg remake as well. And Reideen and GR: Giant Robo... I guess. Never watched those ones. Super robots do seem to be dead now though. I took a couple years break from anime and now that I'm catching up on what I've missed I don't see many outside of Shin Mazinger, Mazinkaiser SKL and EVOL.

quote:

he was talking about how 70s the mech design is, how it's just shamelessly a toy

That's true, it's Liam (I think) who thinks it's from an old show. It's woolie that says Nova was one of the shows being homaged by TTGL. Not 100% sure of his reasoning but I think he's implying that the green boomerang things it shoots look like the double shades from the giga drill break.

Broniki fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 26, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh poo poo Laserbeak just turned up then transformed into Ravage? :confused:

Yeah, he's voiced by Koyasu to boot.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Broniki posted:

That's true, it's Liam (I think) who thinks it's from an old show. It's woolie that says Nova was one of the shows being homaged by TTGL. Not 100% sure of his reasoning but I think he's implying that the green boomerang things it shoots look like the double shades from the giga drill break.

I thought it was Woolie not differentiating between OG Dancouga and Dancouga Nova so he just assumed it was the OG '80s one.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I thought it was Woolie not differentiating between OG Dancouga and Dancouga Nova so he just assumed it was the OG '80s one.

That could be true. While the OG pilots are obviously 80s with their poofy hair and mullets and axl rose headbands the actual machines are very similar looking.

It's easy to look at this image and think they're completely different, but if you don't see them together and try and recall them from memory it can be difficult to tell them apart.

Banpresto's fault for axing it from Z3.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hello, thread! I don't post here much these days, but I figured you guys would be interested in this.

A publisher just posted a tweet looking for interest in a localization of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels. They're asking for people to favorite it if interested.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Hello, thread! I don't post here much these days, but I figured you guys would be interested in this.

A publisher just posted a tweet looking for interest in a localization of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels. They're asking for people to favorite it if interested.

Out of everything to do with it, this is the most likely thing to get localized. I'm in.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Broniki posted:

That could be true. While the OG pilots are obviously 80s with their poofy hair and mullets and axl rose headbands the actual machines are very similar looking.

It's easy to look at this image and think they're completely different, but if you don't see them together and try and recall them from memory it can be difficult to tell them apart.

Banpresto's fault for axing it from Z3.

Yeah, I don't know why they got rid of OG Dancouga so readily and now they're bringing OG Aquarion back on board for combination attack shenanigans. Actually, I'm wondering how so many series got axed between the end of Z2 and the beginning of Z3. Budget? Series bloat?

Speaking of SRW, I've noticed the trend of them moving farther away from '70s series. I know the fanbase is getting older and you need to bring in new stuff regularly, but since the transition from Z1 to Z2, the oldest representative as of late has been Zambot 3. I dunno if I'm prepared for a mainline SRW where there are no '70s super robots and the closest thing we get is Shin Mazinger and one of the Getter OVAs.

EDIT: Actually, Trider G7, despite being '70s as hell, was made in 1980. It was the oldest rep in SRW Z3-1, so technically we're already there. :(

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 26, 2015

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Speaking of SRW, I've noticed the trend of them moving farther away from '70s series. I know the fanbase is getting older and you need to bring in new stuff regularly, but since the transition from Z1 to Z2, the oldest representative as of late has been Zambot 3. I dunno if I'm prepared for a mainline SRW where there are no '70s super robots and the closest thing we get is Shin Mazinger and one of the Getter OVAs.

That kind of fits in with the general trend of less 'super-y' super robots though, which is disappointing. Unless they start bringing in more Braves, which seems unlikely.

I miss the days when you had both war dramas, and pure spectacle, transformation heavy, hotblood screaming, blow up the universe type series running. What happened to courage math?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Needs More Jazz posted:

That kind of fits in with the general trend of less 'super-y' super robots though, which is disappointing. Unless they start bringing in more Braves, which seems unlikely.

I miss the days when you had both war dramas, and pure spectacle, transformation heavy, hotblood screaming, blow up the universe type series running. What happened to courage math?

It's harder to sell kids super expensive robot toys than a never ending stream of cheaper widgets that add up to more in the long run, and the otaku that fund the entirety of the late night anime blocks aren't interested?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Between Mazinkaiser, SKL and Shin, I doubt Mazinger will ever go back to the TV show. That leaves us between a rock and a hard place, since two of those make it tricky to integrate Grendizer and Great Mazinger.

I'm interested to know where Banpresto will go with Getter Robo after Tengoku-hen. They haven't used the TV show since Z1/W and it's been conspicuously absent from the handheld games. Will it be missing completely more often? Will they stick to the OVAs from now on? Will they adapt the manga (hahahahahahahahaha)?

The Choudenji robos made a nice comeback in L but otherwise you're right, the likes of Raideen, Daimos, Combattler and Voltes haven't been around much lately. And since Hiroshi is still around in Kotetsushin Jeeg there's no reason to add the original show to the games ever again.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Getter manga as base story, do the entire thing, everyone else just along for the ride. Getter Emperor ends up having pointy orange shades.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broniki posted:

Between Mazinkaiser, SKL and Shin, I doubt Mazinger will ever go back to the TV show. That leaves us between a rock and a hard place, since two of those make it tricky to integrate Grendizer and Great Mazinger.

I'm interested to know where Banpresto will go with Getter Robo after Tengoku-hen. They haven't used the TV show since Z1/W and it's been conspicuously absent from the handheld games. Will it be missing completely more often? Will they stick to the OVAs from now on? Will they adapt the manga (hahahahahahahahaha)?

The Choudenji robos made a nice comeback in L but otherwise you're right, the likes of Raideen, Daimos, Combattler and Voltes haven't been around much lately. And since Hiroshi is still around in Kotetsushin Jeeg there's no reason to add the original show to the games ever again.

I could see them doing New Getter for a standalone game, maybe try to integrate it with Armageddon if they wanted to include them both in the next continuity.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's harder to sell kids super expensive robot toys than a never ending stream of cheaper widgets that add up to more in the long run, and the otaku that fund the entirety of the late night anime blocks aren't interested?

That logic lacks courage! :colbert:

I totally get the economic reasons for the shift - studios need those otaku bucks. I'm just whining about it. The only thing recent that had that brand of old school was... uh... I dunno, Tryon 3?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Broniki posted:

Severe dimensional fuckery utilizing Shin Mazinger's show intro as a stand-in for Versus Great General of Darkness, with original Great and Grendizer as backup because reasons.

Or, hell, just use the movies on their own because the way MX handled the Mazingers was pretty swell and should be done more often.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 26, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

Or, hell, just use the movies on their own because the way MX handled the Mazingers was pretty swell and should be done more often.

I'm interested and know nothing about MX. Care to say a bit more about that?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

Severe dimensional fuckery utilizing Shin Mazinger's show intro as a stand-in for Versus Great General of Darkness, with original Great and Grendizer as backup because reasons.

I'm still hoping for an Ankoku Daishogun fight in Tengoku. I can't remember if Hades makes reference to it when you kill him but the general technically does appear in Shin Mazinger, and Gou said he's going to unlock Mazinger's true power so there must be something else in store for the Shin Mazinger storyline.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm interested and know nothing about MX. Care to say a bit more about that?

MX's Mazinger plot is very heavily Grendizer-focused; the first two shows are post-series, you don't even get Great or Mazinger Z until roughly a third into the game where they use the Grendizer vs Great Mazinger movie to justify giving the latter to you (until that point Kouji's tooling around in the TFO, which is so crazy broken that it's one of the best units in the game). It also uses the Dragonosaurus movie later on, to give you the Final Dynamic Special, and bases missions on a couple of the other crossover movies (Mecha/Gilgilgan from Great v Getter Robo spans two stages and is Great Mazinger's introduction to your roster, and also that loving invincible electric jackass from Great v Getter G). It's pretty cool, there's even an option around the time you get Mazinger Z where you can choose to have Kouji use his original pilot suit or his Grendizer outfit for the rest of the game.

Broniki posted:

I'm still hoping for an Ankoku Daishogun fight in Tengoku. I can't remember if Hades makes reference to it when you kill him but the general technically does appear in Shin Mazinger, and Gou said he's going to unlock Mazinger's true power so there must be something else in store for the Shin Mazinger storyline.

The intro sequences of Shin Mazinger's first two episodes are basically a re-imagining of Mazinger Z v Great General of Darkness as it is, so here's hoping.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 26, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hokuto posted:

I'd never buy them, only the anime which will never be localized, so no thanks

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Give me the Mazinger Angels crew with unlockable secret unit Cutey Honey piloting a giant robot Cutey Honey.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Since things seem to have calmed down a bit in here, did that Irui vs Big Fire SRW doujin ever get scanned?

Or at least does anyone know the name, preferably in kanji? I'm looking at a couple doujins on Yahoo Auctions that might be it, in that they're clearly Alpha Gaiden doujins by the right guy, but I can't be sure.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Broniki posted:

We somehow got a playable Zeus, so there's definitely a chance. The biggest obstacle is probably that Ankoku Daishogun has no voice actor or lines in the show. But SRW has done some crazy stuff to improvise before (didn't they revive an entire unaired show for Neo?).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bendigeidfran posted:

We somehow got a playable Zeus, so there's definitely a chance. The biggest obstacle is probably that Ankoku Daishogun has no voice actor or lines in the show. But SRW has done some crazy stuff to improvise before (didn't they revive an entire unaired show for Neo?).

Daiteioh had a manga to my recall. However that does touch on a recent trend for SRW to branch out to less traditional mecha shows or non-anime series as well as do unorthodox things with their adaptation.

Broniki posted:

Will they adapt the manga (hahahahahahahahaha)?

See this? I could seriously see Banpresto doing this. In the last couple of years they specifically adapted the manga version of Linebarrels of Iron, they made repeated references to the VN version of Demonbane even though they used the anime, and in a few weeks we're going to have the Light Novels of Fullmetal Panic in Z3.2. I could really see them deciding to adapt the manga of Getter Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Now they just need to go a step further and pretend Great-hen happened and put that in.

• Locked thread