Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

If a goy goes to a deli and orders a pastrami on rye he's basically recapitulating the Holocaust, is something we can definitely all agree on. Unless of course he's also buying a potato knish in remembrance for the victims of the Shoah, in which case he is a second Oskar Schindler.

Serious question: have you ever made a post that wasn't some kind of snippy imitation of arguments occurring only in your head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Woolie Wool posted:

IIRC the variant of the gene that governs the production of alcohol dehydrogenase in Native Americans and certain Asian populations is different from the one in other ethnic groups, and people with this version have much lower alcohol tolerance.

E: The NIH have studied it, it seems Native Americans definitely metabolize alcohol differently but probably not because of the ADH gene.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but it would seem that the NIH conclusion is the opposite of what you were saying:

National Institutes of Health posted:

The findings suggest that it is unlikely that Native Americans carry a genetic variant that predisposes them to alcoholism. Certain variants of ADH and ADLH do have a protective affect against alcoholism in some Native American people; however, these findings do not explain the high incidence of alcoholism in the tribes that were studied.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It can be difficult to understand the depth of this insult if you're based in a cultural context where we don't invest that much meaning in symbols, and our symbols are hardly ever touched. Just imagine how pissed some American conservatives get when you burn a flag, only imagine that people do that casually to represent how much they support a given athletic team.
So why is it okay to scoff at people who get pissed at flag burning? Or are you saying that it isn't?

e.
I'm not being snarky. You raised this example and then another poster echoed it down thread -- Is the implication that I should respect Arch Conservative's feelings wrt flag burning?

Because if that's the implication then I flatly reject it.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 26, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It also said, with no qualifications, "Native Americans are predisposed to alcoholism because of differences in the way they metabolize alcohol."

They know it happens, but not why.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

It also said, with no qualifications, "Native Americans are predisposed to alcoholism because of differences in the way they metabolize alcohol."

They know it happens, but not why.

That's the hypothesis, not the conclusion, isn't it?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Even though there probably isn't any physiological reason, belief in such a physiological reason can promote alcoholism as an inevitable consequence.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No, the hypothesis was that the ADH gene allele was specifically the cause of the difference. The difference itself was already established. The evidence for the ADH gene being the cause was not encouraging so they're going to have to look for another possible cause.

Effectronica posted:

Even though there probably isn't any physiological reason, belief in such a physiological reason can promote alcoholism as an inevitable consequence.

True. The human body is kind of lovely like that.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Just imagine how pissed some American conservatives get when you burn a flag

This kind of thing is exactly what I imagine and is why it seems so ludicrous to me. That said, burning a flag is a deliberate and intentional (and bad rear end) expression of disrespect. It's saying gently caress you to a country. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I'm still not seeing the tremendous harm. I don't see it in your Native American example either. Surely that stuff is symptomatic of oppression much more than it's causative?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What are your recommendations for literature on the subject?

"A Song of The Beauty of the Primitive: Shamanism in the Western Imagination," by Andrei R. R. Znamenski.

The last image in the book is four round white hippies in ponytails traveling to Mongolia to spread the word there that Americans have preserved their ancient religious pathway which had obviously been suppressed, all they need to do is start blowing in this Andean tea-kettle and learn about "Core Shamanism," a product of Ohio.

Realtalk tho the book is worth it for the chapters on Carlos Castenada, which are also an amazing story in cultural appropriation ending in a probable murder-suicide of his daughter-wives.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

dogcrash truther posted:

I don't see it in your Native American example either. Surely that stuff is symptomatic of oppression much more than it's causative?
Right. Isn't the real issue that (western plains) Native American identity has been so weakened that they cannot assert their own identity in the face of this appropriation even amongst their own people? In which case the harmfulness of the appropriation of the head dress by non-Natives is indicative of a much larger problem that will not necessarily be rectified by making appropriation of the head dress taboo.

I mean you generally shouldn't go out of your way to insult or hurt people, but if it's as simple as a matter of free speech, then I'm with the invaders and there's no use trying to deny that. If it's more complicated than free speech, then sports team names or Halloween costumes seem like a red herring at best, or at worst, a case of winning a few battles but losing the war.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dogcrash truther posted:

This kind of thing is exactly what I imagine and is why it seems so ludicrous to me. That said, burning a flag is a deliberate and intentional (and bad rear end) expression of disrespect. It's saying gently caress you to a country. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I'm still not seeing the tremendous harm. I don't see it in your Native American example either. Surely that stuff is symptomatic of oppression much more than it's causative?

Yes, it is a symptom of oppression. It's a sign that the oppression runs so deeply that we can burn your flags and tell you to calm down and stop being so offended if you protest.

unlimited shrimp posted:

So why is it okay to scoff at people who get pissed at flag burning? Or are you saying that it isn't?

e.
I'm not being snarky. You raised this example and then another poster echoed it down thread -- Is the implication that I should respect Arch Conservative's feelings wrt flag burning?

Because if that's the implication then I flatly reject it.

You should at least be aware that it's offensive. That's the point of burning a flag - being offensive. But what if you like just casually used an American flag to wipe your baby's rear end and were totally confused when someone gets mad about it?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

You should at least be aware that it's offensive. That's the point of burning a flag - being offensive. But what if you like just casually used an American flag to wipe your baby's rear end and were totally confused when someone gets mad about it?
I'd say I'm ignorant of their grievances, but that doesn't legitimize their anger.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

No, the hypothesis was that the ADH gene allele was specifically the cause of the difference. The difference itself was already established. The evidence for the ADH gene being the cause was not encouraging so they're going to have to look for another possible cause.

I think it would be for the best if I don't comment any further on the article based only on the contents of the abstract. I don't think it was written very clearly, and this ambiguity leaves room for error. Quite possibly, the error is mine.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Right. Isn't the real issue that (western plains) Native American identity has been so weakened that they cannot assert their own identity in the face of this appropriation even amongst their own people? In which case the harmfulness of the appropriation of the head dress by non-Natives is indicative of a much larger problem that will not necessarily be rectified by making appropriation of the head dress taboo.

I mean you generally shouldn't go out of your way to insult or hurt people, but if it's as simple as a matter of free speech, then I'm with the invaders and there's no use trying to deny that. If it's more complicated than free speech, then sports team names or Halloween costumes seem like a red herring at best, or at worst, a case of winning a few battles but losing the war.

There's obviously a lot of context involved. I think that what is being described here as cultural appropriation can absolutely be offensive, disrespectful and in poor taste, but does not in and of itself cause social justice problems, which result from other factors. In many cases, it would still be offensive and in poor taste regardless of the cultural background of the person who did it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

David Corbett posted:

There's obviously a lot of context involved. I think that what is being described here as cultural appropriation can absolutely be offensive, disrespectful and in poor taste, but does not in and of itself cause social justice problems, which result from other factors. In many cases, it would still be offensive and in poor taste regardless of the cultural background of the person who did it.
Agreedo, but poor taste without consequences isn't something worth getting upset about.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

Agreedo, but poor taste without consequences isn't something worth getting upset about.

Not beyond socially, no.

The offense here isn't that you're using an American flag, it's that you're wiping someone's rear end with it. I don't think anyone would be offended if someone made a flag patterned garment or put an American flag as a patch on a jacket or as a bumper sticker because they thought the design looked cool. That sort of thing happens all the time, and it would be way out of line to suggest that someone can't use that symbol for general purposes because they aren't Real Americans.

I should admit that, as a Canadian, this does come up from time to time. We're known for travelling Europe with some sort of signifier of our Canadian identity. This is because many of us believe that Canadians have a better name abroad than Americans, which we would likely otherwise be mistaken for. It is very annoying when an American claims to be a Canadian abroad, but that's because there's an active intent to deceive and it might cause us harm by degrading our reputation. If an American wanted to fly the Maple Leaf somewhere out in Kansas, though - well, more power to him, I guess?

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 26, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

David Corbett posted:

Not beyond socially, no.

The offense here isn't that you're using an American flag, it's that you're wiping someone's rear end with it. I don't think anyone would be offended if someone made a flag patterned garment or put an American flag as a patch on a jacket or as a bumper sticker because they thought the design looked cool. That sort of thing happens all the time, and it would be way out of line to suggest that someone can't use that symbol for general purposes because they aren't Real Americans.

On the other hand, embroidering the butt of your pants with a big ol' American flag, say...

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

On the other hand, embroidering the butt of your pants with a big ol' American flag, say...
It would still be acceptable? Maybe distasteful in the sense that you shouldn't deliberately piss people off just to be a dick, but it seems like it's ultimately a question of cultural values. If there were ever some zero-sum game between the right to desecrate the flag and the obligation to respect conservative demands that the flag be upheld as sacred, then I would heat my home with every flag I could get my hands on. I could say it's distasteful or mean or ignorant, but I would still uphold the right to do it sooner than I'd support a measure to ban it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unlimited shrimp posted:

Would still be acceptable? Maybe distasteful in the sense that you shouldn't deliberately piss people off just to be a dick, but it seems like it's ultimately a question of cultural values. If there were ever some zero-sum game between the right to desecrate the flag and the obligation to respect conservative demands that the flag be upheld as sacred, then I would heat my home with every flag I could get my hands on. I could say it's distasteful or mean or ignorant, but I would still uphold the right to do it sooner than I'd support a measure to ban it.

Jesus dude, that was in response to a post about wearing the flag. It's an example of how appropriation can work by people making unintentional mistakes out of ignorance that end up potentially offensive. You're really tetchy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
:(

I'm here in good faith. Cultural appropriation is something I've been trying to work through for a little while. Sorry if I seem ornery.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'd say I'm ignorant of their grievances, but that doesn't legitimize their anger.

It's their anger. You don't get to be the arbiter for whether other folk's feelings are legitimate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

:(

I'm here in good faith. Cultural appropriation is something I've been trying to work through for a little while. Sorry if I seem ornery.

Sometimes people explore aspects of cultures they were not raised in, or are not familiar with. They may use this knowledge for personal growth or to create something new and cool. This is good!

Sometimes people adopt certain aspects of a foreign culture in an ignorant or tasteless way, or one which trivializes otherwise serious aspects of that culture. This is lame, but whatever.

Sometimes people adopt certain aspects of a foreign culture in a way which is flat out offensive, such as perpetuating racial stereotypes or mocking core aspects of a culture. This is pretty bad!

The final case can range from just tasteless and rude to a systemic dismantling of a marginalized culture. If the false version of a culture becomes the popularly known or official version, it can be called appropriation.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
He absolutely can be the arbiter of whether or not it's worth giving a poo poo about. Someone's seething rage about their favorite game getting being infested with "casuals" can be quite genuine, it doesn't mean I have to treat it as legitimate or worthy of respect.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

themrguy posted:

He absolutely can be the arbiter of whether or not it's worth giving a poo poo about. Someone's seething rage about their favorite game getting being infested with "casuals" can be quite genuine, it doesn't mean I have to treat it as legitimate or worthy of respect.

No, I don't think he can be "the" arbiter.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

unlimited shrimp posted:

Aau Contraire I'd say that getting upset is the entire raison d'être for caring about what other people do/say/wear/listen to, especially on the internet. Outrage Culture is real.

7c Nickel posted:

It's their anger. You don't get to be the arbiter for whether other folk's feelings are legitimate.

Exactly. The most important thing is that they are angry, and I need to join them in their anger.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 26, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

Aau Contraire I'd say that getting upset is the entire raison d'être for caring about what other people do/say/wear/listen to, especially on the internet. Outrage Culture is real.

Oh?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Effectronica posted:

No, I don't think he can be "the" arbiter.

Obviously in the sense of whether or not he has to care about it, c'mon. I thought that was obvious from context.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7tupJRSi7M

Why do you think she was putting on that obvious and rehearsed act? Why do you think the two dudes were getting so upset? Do you think they really feel that strongly about Israel?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7tupJRSi7M

Why do you think she was putting on that obvious and rehearsed act? Why do you think the two dudes were getting so upset? Do you think they really feel that strongly about Israel?

Oh?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

People are absolutely entitled to their feelings. That doesn't mean their feelings are something that should de facto dictate my feelings or actions. I have to weigh my ideals against their own.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The final case can range from just tasteless and rude to a systemic dismantling of a marginalized culture. If the false version of a culture becomes the popularly known or official version, it can be called appropriation.

I still fail to see how cultural appropriation alone evokes this. A football team name does not alone dismantle a marginalised culture. Renaming that team doesn't preserve it.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Group A plays some kind of traditional drums , Group B (the dominant culture) adopts those drums to their own musical idioms which then go back to Group A and impoverishes the original musical culture of group A. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Not really because its tricky to make value judgement about music etc etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

I still fail to see how cultural appropriation alone evokes this. A football team name does not alone dismantle a marginalised culture. Renaming that team doesn't preserve it.

It's a method by which marginalization occurs. Nobody has claimed that appropriation is the sole method by which marginalization is perpetuated. You're overthinking this and confusing yourself.

If a team was called the Washington Criminal Thugs then no, it is not the sole source or even sole mechanism which perpetuates the criminal black stereotype, but it sure isn't helping anyone!

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's a method by which marginalization occurs. Nobody has claimed that appropriation is the sole method by which marginalization is perpetuated. You're overthinking this and confusing yourself.

If a team was called the Washington Criminal Thugs then no, it is not the sole source or even sole mechanism which perpetuates the criminal black stereotype, but it sure isn't helping anyone!

You can't seem to keep your arguments straight. Are you arguing that ethnic slurs like "redskin" and anti-black stereotypes are sacral cultural expressions of (respectively) native American and African-American culture?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If a white guy owns a taco truck, is that appropriation?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Still looking for clarification on whether or not blackface is cultural appropriation.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like the issue is when the original or authentic version of some culture is destroyed while bits of it are simultaneously commodified. The "original" Native American culture no longer exists, so a headdress costume is like dancing on the grave of destroyed culture. It's just common decency to have some respect for other people. I guess that makes me an SJW Nazi?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

People are absolutely entitled to their feelings. That doesn't mean their feelings are something that should de facto dictate my feelings or actions. I have to weigh my ideals against their own.

The common term for people with no regard for others is 'jackass', so surely you understand why nobody cares when you scream about reverse racism or being oppressed yourself, right? Like if hurt feelings is not a consideration that should be made, how could you argue against a law renaming the Redskins because of your own hurt feelings?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"It's my god given right to be a jackass to everyone around me, stupid liberal faggots :smug:"

"Why is everyone being mean to me??? I'm only exercising my rights :qq:"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

Still looking for clarification on whether or not blackface is cultural appropriation.

Only when done by non whites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

katlington posted:

Only when done by non whites

The tradition of blackface includes black performers.

• Locked thread